Author Topic: Opinion on a PNR Cover  (Read 444 times)  

Offline Alix Adale

• Pacific Northwest
  • Paranormal passion--embrace the night.
    • View Profile
Opinion on a PNR Cover
« on: May 03, 2017, 05:21:09 PM »
Cheers!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 08:21:54 PM by Alix Adale »

Paranormal passion--embrace the night.
Alix Adale | website | newsletter | twitter | goodreads

Offline plumstead

• Canada
    • View Profile
Re: Opinion on a PNR Cover
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 06:29:53 PM »
I think it's pretty clear it's a romance, but the PNR isn't coming across. I would say it was a billionaire bad boy book. Can you apply a cooling filter over the entire image? Push it more towards the blue, and then use a contrasting red for the text? I think the title could use some visual interest too. It seems a bit plain.

Edit: Here's my five minute lazy tweak:

« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 06:33:17 PM by plumstead »

Offline Yayoi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 06:53:30 PM »
Definitely agree with the above poster. It looks like a bad boy billionaire novel, and it doesn't look to me like some PNR novel at all.

Online Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
  • Storyteller and Cat Minion
    • View Profile
    • Ineti Press
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 09:17:58 PM »
The color change helps, but I'd still want to see the paranormal part in there somewhere. Vampire teeth, shifter, magic glowy something or another, etc.

That being said, a lot of the top vampire books don't have much in the way of obvious paranormal going on : https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Books-Vampire-Romances/zgbs/books/16399311

Online D A Bale

• United States
  • author, editor, cover designer
    • View Profile
    • DA Bale Publishing
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 09:21:19 PM »
Yeah, definite billionaire vibe but no PNR except in the title.  Is there a different couple picture you could use?  Is the paranormal aspect strictly vampire (her? him?) or is there another element you could accentuate here?

Hey, perhaps a glow in her bracelet that signals when a vampire comes near her - total spitball here.

Online TaraCrescent

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 09:47:48 PM »
I'd add some shadowy trees in the background, and change the title font. Vampire books tend to have swirly things around the title (see https://www.amazon.com/Shade-Vampire-42-Gift-Three-ebook/dp/B06XJD1SZD/ for an example.)

Out_there

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 10:35:48 PM »
I like Plumstead's changes, but I would also like to see something in the picture that says vampire more.

Offline kathrynoh

• Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Kathryn O'Halloran
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 11:17:13 PM »
I don't think you need to be too overt with vampire teeth or blood, but glowy things and swirly things would make it much more paranormal looking.

Offline Evenstar

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 12:52:50 AM »
The color change helps, but I'd still want to see the paranormal part in there somewhere. Vampire teeth, shifter, magic glowy something or another, etc.

That being said, a lot of the top vampire books don't have much in the way of obvious paranormal going on : https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Books-Vampire-Romances/zgbs/books/16399311

I clicked on that list and the no.1 book is called A Baby for the Alien Prince, with a blue man and a heavily pregnant woman. WEIRD for vampire fiction!

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac