Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.
KB Featured
Flight of the Tarantula Hawk
by Michael Allan Scott

$0.99
Kindle Edition published 2014-02-10
Bestseller ranking: 4698

Product Description
On the IndieReader Best Book list and featured on NBC's Daytime Show, the second book in the Lance Underphal Mystery series is part of a new breed of supernatural thrillers which can be read and enjoyed in any order. Dark, different, featuring a damaged psychic, this is one of those disturbing novels that keeps you guessing.

Download the sample or use the "Look inside" feature for a FREE E-book offer.

Supernatural Murder Mystery - Realtor Carla Simon has her first showing in nearly eighteen months. Recovering from a nervous breakdown, she arrives at the bank-owned foreclosure well ahead of her prospect. When her buyer pins her against the wall, it turns out to be the last house she'll ever show.

Looking for a new breed of supernatural thrillers? Paranormal mysteries of murder and suspense? Perhaps a psychic detective series which can be read and enjoyed in any order? Or maybe one of t...

Author Topic: Opinion on a PNR Cover  (Read 391 times)  

Offline Alix Adale

• Pacific Northwest
  • Paranormal passion--embrace the night.
    • View Profile
    • alixadale.com
Opinion on a PNR Cover
« on: May 03, 2017, 05:21:09 PM »
Hi, if this is in the wrong forum, sorry!

Could I get some feedback on this paranormal romance cover? I would prefer a premade but that's not possible at the moment.  Any feedback on fonts or composition? Is the genre and story clear enough?

Thumbnail should be clickable and open on Imgur:

Paranormal passion--embrace the night.
Alix Adale | website | newsletter | twitter | goodreads

Offline plumstead

• Canada
    • View Profile
Re: Opinion on a PNR Cover
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 06:29:53 PM »
I think it's pretty clear it's a romance, but the PNR isn't coming across. I would say it was a billionaire bad boy book. Can you apply a cooling filter over the entire image? Push it more towards the blue, and then use a contrasting red for the text? I think the title could use some visual interest too. It seems a bit plain.

Edit: Here's my five minute lazy tweak:

« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 06:33:17 PM by plumstead »

Online Yayoi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 06:53:30 PM »
Definitely agree with the above poster. It looks like a bad boy billionaire novel, and it doesn't look to me like some PNR novel at all.

Offline Alix Adale

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
    • alixadale.com
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 09:13:54 PM »
I think it's pretty clear it's a romance, but the PNR isn't coming across. I would say it was a billionaire bad boy book. Can you apply a cooling filter over the entire image? Push it more towards the blue, and then use a contrasting red for the text? I think the title could use some visual interest too. It seems a bit plain.

Edit: Here's my five minute lazy tweak:

Thanks, Plumstead! That's a seriously great tweak. It's funny I did have a blue filter on it, far too conservative I guess. I'll play with it. Or I might bite the bullet on a premade, even for a freebie novella. 

Online Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
  • Storyteller and Cat Minion
    • View Profile
    • Ineti Press
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 09:17:58 PM »
The color change helps, but I'd still want to see the paranormal part in there somewhere. Vampire teeth, shifter, magic glowy something or another, etc.

That being said, a lot of the top vampire books don't have much in the way of obvious paranormal going on : https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Books-Vampire-Romances/zgbs/books/16399311

Offline D A Bale

• United States
  • author, editor, cover designer
    • View Profile
    • DA Bale Publishing
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 09:21:19 PM »
Yeah, definite billionaire vibe but no PNR except in the title.  Is there a different couple picture you could use?  Is the paranormal aspect strictly vampire (her? him?) or is there another element you could accentuate here?

Hey, perhaps a glow in her bracelet that signals when a vampire comes near her - total spitball here.

Offline TaraCrescent

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 09:47:48 PM »
I'd add some shadowy trees in the background, and change the title font. Vampire books tend to have swirly things around the title (see https://www.amazon.com/Shade-Vampire-42-Gift-Three-ebook/dp/B06XJD1SZD/ for an example.)

Offline Alix Adale

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
    • alixadale.com
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 10:07:16 PM »
Ack, billionaires!  :)  Not for this book, for sure. The covers for that category on Amazon are kinda all over the place but this is for Instafreebies, so... hmm, weighing some premade options right now.

Out_there

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 10:35:48 PM »
I like Plumstead's changes, but I would also like to see something in the picture that says vampire more.

Online kathrynoh

• Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Kathryn O'Halloran
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 11:17:13 PM »
I don't think you need to be too overt with vampire teeth or blood, but glowy things and swirly things would make it much more paranormal looking.

Offline Evenstar

• UK
  • YA and PNR
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 12:52:50 AM »
The color change helps, but I'd still want to see the paranormal part in there somewhere. Vampire teeth, shifter, magic glowy something or another, etc.

That being said, a lot of the top vampire books don't have much in the way of obvious paranormal going on : https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Books-Vampire-Romances/zgbs/books/16399311

I clicked on that list and the no.1 book is called A Baby for the Alien Prince, with a blue man and a heavily pregnant woman. WEIRD for vampire fiction!