KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: TCK Publishing - Updated and Improved No-Fee Publisher with 50% Royalties  (Read 2823 times)  

Offline tcorsonk

• View Profile
Hello again! We're TCK Publishing, an independent press for independent authors.

We have made some big changes and improvements to our publishing model and business since our last post, and we would love to hear what you think.

TCK Publishing has been learning and growing along with our authors over the last few years. We're constantly trying to add more value to our clients so they can make the most out of their writing careers, and that means changing how we operate.

We'd like to share those changes with you so you can decide if partnering with TCK is the right move for you.

TCK is now a traditional untraditional publisher.

What the heck does that mean?

Well, we don't charge fees for the publishing process, and we handle your editing, cover design, layout, production, printing, fulfillment, and marketing.

Better still, we split royalties 50/50 with our authors, which is far, far better than most traditional presses, where authors only keep 8-10% of their list price!

For that 50/50 split, you get a dedicated, professional editor who will help you revise your manuscript and make the most of your book, professional cover and layout, and book production services. When it's published, your book will be available worldwide through the most popular print and eBook sales and distribution venues.

Most importantly, we help you market your book, which is the biggest hurdle for most independent authors.

As part of your publishing deal, we help you identify your unique value proposition and how you can best leverage your expertise and skills to market your book. We help you set up your author website and begin building your email list and platform (if you don't want to learn how to deal with all that tech stuff, we'll just set it up for you). And we develop a list of interested reviewers who we send copies of your book to, generating interest and word of mouth.

Here's what we'll do to help market your books:

Walk you through our detailed market research process, so you understand exactly who your target readers are and what makes them want to buy books like yours
   Create a highly targeted list of the top reviewers who have previously reviewed similar books to yours, and then create a custom outreach campaign and send them a free copy of your book for review
   Pay to promote your book on the top book promotion sites in your genre
   Create, split-test, and pay for Amazon book ads and other online ads that help get the word out to your ideal readers
   Connect you with top authors, bloggers, podcasters, and social media influencers in your market, so you can build relationships and buzz for your work
   Submit your ARC to industry review sites (Publishers Weekly, Midwest Book Review, Kirkus, etc.)
   Run online contests and book giveaways to help you build your email list and fan base even faster
   Connect you with relevant media requests from HARO, SourceBottle, PitchRate and more
   Promote your book to our email list of interested readers
   And more (we're constantly testing out new book marketing strategies to see what works)

We also offer premium services on top of these basics for authors who want to invest in advertising with Facebook Ads and other ad platforms, but many authors do great with just our standard publishing and marketing services and their own talent.

Some of these services are offered by a traditional corporate publisher, but at TCK, you get a personal touch, engaged feedback, and more control over your work than with a faceless corporation. You retain all rights to your work instead of signing them over to someone else. You get to help create your perfect cover. You get to be as involved, or hands-off, as makes sense for you.

We want you to be totally happy with your final book, and that means being partners instead of dictating everything for you... or making you do it all yourself when you'd rather be writing.

We'd love to learn more about you and your author career.

Let us know if you have any questions, or check out our FAQ at https://www.tckpublishing.com/publishing-faq

You can see our submission guidelines at https://www.tckpublishing.com/submission-guidelines

We can't wait to hear from you and help you on your publishing journey!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 07:53:43 AM by tcorsonk »

Offline David VanDyke

• View Profile
Re: TCK Publishing - Updated and Improved No-Fee Publisher with 50% Royalties
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 12:41:13 PM »
Has anyone used TCK or have any experience with them?

Futuristic Thrillers, Mysteries and Science Fiction
David VanDyke | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Contact

Offline Sailor Stone

• These aren't the droids you're looking for.
    • View Profile
    • Sailorstone.com
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 01:17:22 PM »
At first glance it looks interesting, possibly even good...but then I was pounding the table for Pronoun, so what do I know?

Sailor Stone | web page | facebook

Online Monique

• California
    • View Profile
    • Written by Monique
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 01:20:32 PM »
I recommend checking out the the ranks of any publisher/provider who posts here.

Monique Martin | author website | facebook | twitter

Online Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 01:44:53 PM »
I took a quick look. I'm not seeing any obvious red flags on the site. I looked at some of the books, and here's what I noticed:

Books have good covers, decent number of reviews, decent blurbs, etc.
Book represent a variety of genres.
Some books are only available in ebook form, others in ebook and paperback, and others in ebook, paperback, and audio. I'm not sure why availability varies.
Despite the emphasis on the site about the wide array of distribution channels, at least some of the books are enrolled in KU, so the ebook would be limited to Amazon.
None of the books have stellar ranks, but I couldn't find any that were new releases. The most recent I spotted were almost a year old. Ranks varied from 50,000 to 1,000,000. It would be a better measure if I had been able to find a new release.

It's rare for a trad publisher to enroll books in Select, but I have seen it occasionally.

Assuming the site is accurate, and the publisher does cover all expenses, it appears that authors get good value for covers. I didn't have time to check editing. I also can't judge marketing without seeing some more recent books. I will say the authors that get audio books produced for them are saving a lot of money on that.

If I were looking for a trad publisher, I might further investigate this one. As I said, I'm not seeing any definite red flags, but I'd need more information in some areas. 

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 05:59:41 AM »
I recommend checking out the the ranks of any publisher/provider who posts here.

Seconded. Things sound good in theory, but can they sell your books better than you? Can they have better editing than you can hire, better cover designers? Is what you lose in royalties and control worth what you receive after they get their cut?
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Online Bards and Sages (Julie)

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
    • Bards and Sages Publishing
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 06:27:07 AM »
TCK is now a traditional untraditional publisher.
*sigh* Red flag doublespeak. Either you are a publisher or a vendor. I am always suspicious of publishers that "sell" themselves on being some new paradigm nonsense because the majority of the time their "new paradigm" has no grounding in reality.

Well, we don't charge fees for the publishing process, and we handle your editing, cover design, layout, production, printing, fulfillment, and marketing.
That is your actual job description as a publisher, not a bonus.

Better still, we split royalties 50/50 with our authors, which is far, far better than most traditional presses, where authors only keep 8-10% of their list price!

Publishers do not "split royalties." They pay royalties. You are paying royalties of 50% on your net receipts. Trade publishers generally pay 8-10 percent on the LIST PRICE. If you are paying on net instead of list, then your royalty percentage is expected to be higher. Nothing shiny here. That is the normal industry expectation. Royalties paid on net should always be at a higher percentage than royalties paid on list.

For that 50/50 split, you get a dedicated, professional editor who will help you revise your manuscript and make the most of your book, professional cover and layout, and book production services. When it's published, your book will be available worldwide through the most popular print and eBook sales and distribution venues.

Again, this is the most basic function of a publisher. THIS IS THE BASIC JOB DESCRIPTION!

We also offer premium services...
Then you are a vanity press and not a publisher. Real publishers don't charge their authors. Ever. There is a fundamental conflict of interests if you are charging your authors for add-on services. If you want to offer services, offer services. If you want to be a publisher, be a publisher. But the second you are charging your own authors for "premium" services, you are engaging in an ethical conflict of interests. And authors should be very mindful that this IS a conflict of interests.

Writer, Publisher, Game Designer, Resident Sith
Julie Ann Dawson | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | eFesitival of Words

Offline tcorsonk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 11:38:55 AM »
None of the books have stellar ranks, but I couldn't find any that were new releases. The most recent I spotted were almost a year old. Ranks varied from 50,000 to 1,000,000. It would be a better measure if I had been able to find a new release.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your detailed feedback!

You can see a list of some of our published titles at https://www.tckpublishing.com/published-books/

You can see some of our upcoming and most recent releases in order of publication date here: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_date-desc-rank?keywords=tck+publishing&fst=p90x%3A1&rh=n%3A133140011%2Ck%3Atck+publishing&qid=1510245909&sort=date-desc-rank

This book is one of our best sellers with over 75,000+ sales in English: https://www.amazon.com/Unlimited-Memory-Advanced-Strategies-Productive-ebook/dp/B00I3QS1XQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1510245974&sr=1-4&keywords=unlimited+memory

*sigh* Red flag doublespeak. Either you are a publisher or a vendor. I am always suspicious of publishers that "sell" themselves on being some new paradigm nonsense because the majority of the time their "new paradigm" has no grounding in reality.
That is your actual job description as a publisher, not a bonus.

Hi Julie,

It's not doublespeak. We are a traditional publisher. We just do things differently than most other traditional publishers. For example, we actually respond to query letters, emails, and even forum posts like this because we believe authors deserve to have their voices heard and get feedback (including authors we don't choose to work with).

Publishers do not "split royalties." They pay royalties. You are paying royalties of 50% on your net receipts. Trade publishers generally pay 8-10 percent on the LIST PRICE. If you are paying on net instead of list, then your royalty percentage is expected to be higher. Nothing shiny here. That is the normal industry expectation. Royalties paid on net should always be at a higher percentage than royalties paid on list.

Yes, we do pay 50% net royalties on ebooks, print books, and audiobooks. The net is calculated based on the revenue we actually receive from each sale, minus our printing and fulfillment costs.

I understand that an 8% or 10% cover price royalty is easier to calculate and more straightforward in theory. In theory, it sounds great. In practice, it allows publishers to pay authors peanuts.

For example, our client Kevin Horsley currently earns 50% net royalties on all sales, which means he gets $4.44 per sale of the paperback version of Unlimited Memory (retail price is $19.99). That's equivalent to a 21-22% cover royalty. Under an 8% cover price royalty scheme, he would only be earning $1.60 per sale.

The difference in our royalty structure has helped Kevin earn an extra $34,236.20 to date in royalties that he would have been denied with an 8% cover price royalty.

And that's just for print sales. Paying 50% net royalties on eBooks and audiobooks means authors are earning significantly more on digital sales than what most traditional publishers pay.

We also offer premium services...
Then you are a vanity press and not a publisher. Real publishers don't charge their authors. Ever. There is a fundamental conflict of interests if you are charging your authors for add-on services. If you want to offer services, offer services. If you want to be a publisher, be a publisher. But the second you are charging your own authors for "premium" services, you are engaging in an ethical conflict of interests. And authors should be very mindful that this IS a conflict of interests.

We do not charge our authors anything for our premium services. They're "premium" because they go way above and beyond what other publishers offer, and they often involve us doing hands-on consulting and/or coaching work for the author and their business. This is usually the kind of work that publishers avoid like the plague and "book marketing gurus" offer at the "BUY IT TODAY AND GET A MASSIVE DISCOUNT" price of $10,000 or more.

For example, some of our clients want to create Facebook Ad campaigns and other PPC ads to help them build their email list. Since we have extensive experience with pay-per-click (PPC) ads, our team can set up the author's campaigns, write copy, design the creative and images, split test them, optimize them, and make sure the author is getting a great ROI on their PPC marketing budget. This saves the author a lot of time and money.

Some clients already have PPC ad campaigns running, and our team can review them and help optimize them.

Other consulting services we have provided free to our clients include landing page split testing, designing and building marketing funnels, creating strategies and systems for social media marketing, video marketing, and podcasting.

For all of these premium services, we charge our authors the outrageous price of $0.

We've posted much more detailed information about our marketing services on our FAQ page at https://www.tckpublishing.com/publishing-faq/

I hope that helps clarify things for you!

If you have any other questions or feedback, we would love to hear it.

Offline Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 01:18:48 PM »
What kind of advances do you offer?
Yes, we do pay 50% net royalties on ebooks, print books, and audiobooks. The net is calculated based on the revenue we actually receive from each sale, minus our printing and fulfillment costs.

If you have any other questions or feedback, we would love to hear it.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 04:44:54 AM by Mark Gardner »

Offline Vidya

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 07:40:45 PM »
We also offer premium services on top of these basics for authors who want to invest in advertising with Facebook Ads and other ad platforms,

authors who want to invest in advertising makes it sound like the authors have to pay for Facebook Ads and other ads. So do you pay or does the author pay? Can you please specify which ads you pay for and which you expect the author to pay for?

Because if YOU pay for expensive FB ads, I think a lot of authors would be thrilled to be accepted by you. However if what youre saying is the author has to pay, well, thats a lot less attractive.

Why do you pay for Amazon ads but not for FB ads? Is it because FB ads are more expensive or because theyre more risky, with lesser chance of succeeding?

Im just asking for some clarification here. Thanks!

Offline Vidya

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 09:33:37 PM »
Ive now read your Publishing FAQ at https://www.tckpublishing.com/publishing-faq/

you say:

We provide personalized coaching to help you with every part of your career from writing to marketing and beyond.

what exactly does this mean? You coach writers through writing too? Does that mean you coach them through writing a book, giving regular feedback and critiques?

Offline Awasin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 10:31:18 PM »
TCK stands for Tom Corson-Knowles, I believe. 

Y'all know who he is if you've been paying any kind of attention.

Offline Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 02:46:55 AM »
You've told us all why you're better than traditional publishing; now tell us why you are better than indie publishing.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group

Offline dgaughran

• Dublin
  • Let's Get Digital
    • View Profile
    • David Gaughran
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 03:46:07 AM »
I would advise everybody here to stay well away from TCK Publishing. I don't trust Tom Corson Knowles whatsoever.

He has been running some version of this publishing company since at least 2014. Previously it was a double-dipping arrangement where he would take half your royalties AND you would pay him $500 up front. And if you couldn't afford the $500 he would take 75% of your royalties.

See here: https://www.tckpublishing.com/tck-publishing-letter-to-clients-2013-year-in-review/

Avoid.

Edited. PM me if you have any questions.
Evenstar, Moderator
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:52:20 PM by Evenstar »

David Gaughran | mailing list | blog | website | facebook | twitter
LET'S GET DIGITAL 2 Free for purchasers of the 1st edition! Instructions here

Offline Philip Gibson

• Laos (Moved from Yorkshire)
  • Philip and Cookie the Dog
    • View Profile
    • Hashtag Histories
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 05:05:42 AM »
Seems like the money you would spend on marketing (Amazon ads, etc. etc.) would make it very expensive for you.  How are you able to absorb that cost and turn a profit if you don't curate submissions for quality, audience appeal, potential sales, etc?

Philip

What if there had been social media during important historical events?
Philip Gibson | Hashtag Histories | Word By Word Graded Readers for Children

Offline Sailor Stone

• These aren't the droids you're looking for.
    • View Profile
    • Sailorstone.com
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 05:06:58 AM »
I would advise everybody here to stay well away from TCK Publishing. I don't trust Tom Corson Knowles whatsoever.

He has been running some version of this publishing company since at least 2014. Previously it was a double-dipping arrangement where he would take half your royalties AND you would pay him $500 up front. And if you couldn't afford the $500 he would take 75% of your royalties.

See here: https://www.tckpublishing.com/tck-publishing-letter-to-clients-2013-year-in-review/

Avoid.

I didn't listen to you regarding Pronoun and look what that got me; I'm still working on my transfer away from them and that's most all of what I've been doing for the past week...so I think I might take your advice here and keep moving along and not consider TCK any further.
Going with a combo of direct to Google, Kobo, and Amazon, and then D2D for Nook, IBooks and the rest of the vendors sounds like the new way forward.
Thanks!

Edited quoted post. Evenstar, Moderator
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:53:15 PM by Evenstar »

Sailor Stone | web page | facebook

Online TobiasRoote

• Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 06:17:21 AM »
I'm disappointed by the warnings to stay away because I was (for a moment there) thinking how refreshing it was for a company to offer a hybridisation of trad and Indy publishing. Whilst I liked the blurb, the layout of the site, I could at least see that the publisher was pushing training courses and all kinds of extras, but didn't see the pricetag for all of this. Was it all within the 50/50 of them doing all the work for free if you signed your books up to them?  I had even got to the point of discussing with my wife the possibility of putting a book on their system to 'test the water' and here I am now, back to working the streets on my own again. {Sigh!}

Tobias Roote | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline dgaughran

• Dublin
  • Let's Get Digital
    • View Profile
    • David Gaughran
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 07:04:42 AM »
Oh LOL, so I decided to dig into the archives on this. A few years ago Tom was sending out spam, pretending to be "Susannah" complete with a stock photo of a young blonde.

Flirtatious messages like this. I know a bunch of other authors got this identical message too. I thought I was special! hahahahaha

Is it possible to email you regarding guest posting? I got distracted liking you on FB and couldn't stay focused long enough to find your contact info on your blog page.

Thanks
Susannah M. Cyrus
Editor
TCK Publishing
susannah@tckpublishing.com

"I got distracted liking you on Facebook..."

Hilarious.

I remember this being the tip of the iceberg. Keep well away.

(And maybe consider that legit publishers don't usually have to come to forums touting for business.)

edited; PM if you have questions -- Ann
« Last Edit: Today at 04:26:09 AM by Ann in Arlington »

David Gaughran | mailing list | blog | website | facebook | twitter
LET'S GET DIGITAL 2 Free for purchasers of the 1st edition! Instructions here

Online Bards and Sages (Julie)

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
    • Bards and Sages Publishing
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 07:41:23 AM »
(And maybe consider that legit publishers don't usually have to come to forums touting for business.)

Well, there is always this. I mean, I'm not even actively accepting submissions for full-length novels and my inbox always has queries and submissions in it (despite the fact that I have a brutally honest page on my site designed to dissuade people from sending submissions!)

Writer, Publisher, Game Designer, Resident Sith
Julie Ann Dawson | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | eFesitival of Words

Online Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 11:08:21 AM »
Well, there is always this. I mean, I'm not even actively accepting submissions for full-length novels and my inbox always has queries and submissions in it (despite the fact that I have a brutally honest page on my site designed to dissuade people from sending submissions!)
I remember that page! It is very effectively worded. It's amazing people don't get the message.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 11:10:57 AM »
I never get the message. I send Julie a submission every month :p
I remember that page! It is very effectively worded. It's amazing people don't get the message.

Offline EB

• South Jersey
  • used to care
    • View Profile
    • E.B.'s website
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 12:15:38 PM »

Avoid.

Yes, this ^^.  Aside from that, if a publisher is touting himself as "#1 Amazon Bestselling Author," (sorry, it's great to hit #1 on Amazon charts, but legitimate publishers are not touting the title "#1 Amazon Bestselling Author" like, ever), running a "Reader's Choice Awards" contest, and also sells Author "Courses", that's not someone to risk getting in bed with.

Editing quoted post. Evenstar, Moderator
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:56:01 PM by Evenstar »

Offline tcorsonk

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2017, 07:06:37 PM »
What kind of advances do you offer?

We don't offer advances right now.

Offline tcorsonk

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2017, 07:09:50 PM »
We also offer premium services on top of these basics for authors who want to invest in advertising with Facebook Ads and other ad platforms,

authors who want to invest in advertising makes it sound like the authors have to pay for Facebook Ads and other ads. So do you pay or does the author pay? Can you please specify which ads you pay for and which you expect the author to pay for?

Because if YOU pay for expensive FB ads, I think a lot of authors would be thrilled to be accepted by you. However if what youre saying is the author has to pay, well, thats a lot less attractive.

Why do you pay for Amazon ads but not for FB ads? Is it because FB ads are more expensive or because theyre more risky, with lesser chance of succeeding?

Im just asking for some clarification here. Thanks!

We do pay for Facebook ads when we're promoting a client's book directly.

We don't pay for Facebook ads when a client wants us to help them use Facebook ads to 1) build their email list (with no guarantee of book sales) or 2) sell more of their own products and services on their website (we don't take a share of our client's earnings from their business or other products).

Does that help clarify?

Offline tcorsonk

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2017, 07:13:21 PM »
Ive now read your Publishing FAQ at https://www.tckpublishing.com/publishing-faq/

you say:

We provide personalized coaching to help you with every part of your career from writing to marketing and beyond.

what exactly does this mean? You coach writers through writing too? Does that mean you coach them through writing a book, giving regular feedback and critiques?

Yes, we sometimes coach clients through the writing process, but it's not very common because most of our clients are already writing regularly and don't need coaching to write their next book. Most of the feedback on their writing comes from our editors during the editing process.