Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.

Author Topic: Any LitRPG Authors (readers) in the house?  (Read 3194 times)  

Offline KevinMcLaughlin

• Greater Boston Area
    • View Profile
    • Role of the Hero Publishing
Re: Any LitRPG Authors (readers) in the house?
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2017, 12:08:29 PM »
Not a LitRPG writer, but I read that Aleron Kong has successfully trademarked the term "LitRPG."  How do you see that affecting your attempts to market your novels now?

First, he's promised to never use it to block the use for books. We shall see - but the public "blanket permission" is probably good enough to hold up in a court at least for now.

Long term? I really wouldn't worry about it much. LitRPG has been in use for half a decade now. Any suit challenging the use of the term to describe this sub-genre would meet the same obstacles Games Workshop did when they tried to stop an author from publishing a "space marine" book. Extensive prior use by a multitude of people to mean a thing makes the trademark difficult to protect. The more time that passes, and the more LitRPG books which come out, the less enforceable the trademark will become.

Remember how hard Xerox, Band-Aid, Kleenex, and other trademarks worked to prevent their trademarks from becoming "the common name" for the thing. Because as soon as everyone uses the word "kleenex" to mean "tissue", they stop being able to defend the use of the word as their trademark. In this case, trademarking a word already in common use for a thing...well.

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2017, 12:40:19 PM »
I'm not a LitRPG author... yet... However, some of my WoW friends are pushing me to write one and add them as characters in it. I might take them up on that (bwahaha evil cackling).

I stumbled across a really cute LitRPG, Dungeon Born, by Dakota Krout. It's about a guy who gets killed and his consciousness melds into a stone which turns into a baby dungeon who learns how to create creatures to defend his core from treasure seekers.

I have always read stories about the games I enjoy (WoW, Diablo) or would enjoy if I didn't get sick (Halo). I never thought to pick up stories that delve into stats and skillups since that's what I do all the time when I play these games. But the stories, when they implement these as a kind of oh crud, I need a new skill stat!, become rather enjoyable.

Everyone talks about the "New Player One" movie in 2018, but has anyone seen "Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle" yet? The trailer for that looks hilarious.

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2017, 12:55:38 PM »
I've been very tempted to try this genre myself. I'm a massive video-game buff. This thread has pretty much persuaded me to give it a go.

Think I'll definitely read a few books first, familiarize myself with the genre.

Offline Word Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2017, 01:16:30 PM »
Not a LitRPG writer, but I read that Aleron Kong has successfully trademarked the term "LitRPG."  How do you see that affecting your attempts to market your novels now?

Actually, he has not. He has only applied for the trademark. He and his attorney have completed all of the preliminary paperwork and the notice of the application is scheduled to be published on January 2, 2018. Once it's published (it's called being "published for opposition"), anyone who can put forth their argument in a cogent manner can file an opposition.

This, from the official government site:

Any entity that thinks it will be harmed by registration of the mark has thirty days from the day the mark is published in the Trademark Official Gazette in which to file an opposition. However, as noted below, extensions of time may be granted, extending that period up to six months.

Offline pwtucker

• Asheville, NC
    • View Profile
    • TransientMe
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2017, 05:28:08 PM »
Anybody know how Royal Road works? If you post some sample chapters, is there an expectation that you'll post the whole book? How tough are they on pre-edited manuscripts? How good is the feedback?

Offline Luke Everhart

• Texas
  • Energizer bunny arrested: charged with battery. 😔
    • View Profile
    • author website
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2017, 06:56:33 PM »
I'm not a LitRPG author... yet... However, some of my WoW friends are pushing me to write one and add them as characters in it. I might take them up on that (bwahaha evil cackling).
Everyone talks about the "New Player One" movie in 2018, but has anyone seen "Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle" yet? The trailer for that looks hilarious.

If you do, for goodness sake give it some gnome love! I played WoW (haven't in a while though) and was an awesome gnome mage -- seriously, as only gnomes with a knack for magical moxie can be (your garden variety gnomenclature doesn't even BEGIN to describe it). The movie had no gnomes  :'( Ok, I know it was due to the period of the story  ::) but still... depressing.

And yes, Jumanji looks hilarious and is definitely a movie form of LitRPG... flickRPG?

Fools Rush In : 100%

In The Details: 52%
Debut series coming early 2018
Luke Everhart | Twitter | Website

"Sorry I hit you. I thought you were going to keep talking, and I panicked."
― Jaymin Eve & Jane Washington, Trickery(Curse of the Gods)

Offline FelissaEly

• Wife and PA of author, Stephan Morse!
    • View Profile
    • FrustratedEgo Stories
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2017, 07:32:24 PM »
Hi Paul!

Pretty sure you know (know of? I think) my husband, Stephan Morse :) His LitRPG series is in my sig.

My husband's published work
Stephan Morse | FrustratedEgo Stories | FrustratedEgo Stories Facebook

Offline alawston

• London
  • London-based writer and actor
    • View Profile
    • Andrew K Lawston's intermittent blogular adventures
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2017, 01:39:13 AM »
I wrote a sort of LitRPG story for Summer's End, before I became particularly aware of it as a genre. I have a concept and sample chapter for a full novel, which was going to be my NaNo project this year until real life got in the way. I hope to revisit that story as it's a really fun world to play in, but I must admit I'm currently holding until I see how the chips land on this whole trademark business.

Broadly comic writer working across as many genres as he can. Acting done.
Andrew Lawston | Facebook | Twitter

Offline jlstovall4

• MG and YA (Sci Fi)
    • View Profile
    • Y. A. Marks Official Website
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2017, 03:32:25 AM »
Hey there!

I've been a Sci-Fi Author for a while now, and as a big fan of Sword Art Online, I always envisioned writing a video game book. Didn't think it would sell until I found the LitRPG Genre growing in the corner. I've been around the LitRPG bubble for about a year now. Finally stepped into it about three months ago with my first LitRPG series. Needless to say, my first LitRPG book has been doing very well since release. Regarding the future of LitRPG, I think it's been growing at an exponential and like someone said before me, I'm totally looking forward to seeing what happens to genre once the Ready Player One movie drops in March 2018.

After watching Sword Art Online, I thought about doing LitRPG too. I do think it will take off next year with Ready Player One, however for me to get in the game will be a bit late. I applaud all of you who have jumped into the waters. What's funny is what many "experts in the field" are missing about LitRPG. It has become Publisher's new escape goat to say "Readers are spending more time playing video games, and that's why they are not reading books." LitRPG proves that's not true. Readers simply want a different type of experience, and they will put down the game controller if someone creates that experience in a book for them.

I think LitRPG has just begin to really take form. In five years there's no telling where it might go. Good luck to all!  ;D :)

Y.A. Marks | Website

Offline DonovanJeremiah

• View Profile
    • facebook
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2017, 04:05:35 AM »
I tried, but Aleron Kong wouldn't let me in. He said it's because I use a pseudonym.

That's a shame. Some writers don't have the luxury of using their given names. Sad that some people  don't recognize that.

I did find LitRPG Society, run by Blaise Corvin, to be a lot more welcoming.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/LitRPGsociety/

Thanks for the heads-up, though!

And thank YOU for this society facebook link.

Offline RScott

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2017, 09:39:07 AM »
Anybody know how Royal Road works? If you post some sample chapters, is there an expectation that you'll post the whole book? How tough are they on pre-edited manuscripts? How good is the feedback?

I just banged out my first LitRPG on there for nanowritmo. Was a rewarding and invigorating experience.

The feedback you get is mixed, but most of it is pretty good. There are trolls who will give you 0.5 stars for no reason etc. People who give you 5 stars and just say awesome. I 'think' that they are very representative of the LitRPG fanbase with a couple of exceptions.

There are some, what i call, LitRPG sub genres that basically involve someone reincarnating into a world with game mechanics that they can somehow cheat. These are wildly popular and while the stories don't seem to go anywhere people seem to love the idea of being overpowered (OP).

You'll get alot of feedback on the game mechanics. Especially the more detailed you make them, which is good. This is a trope. As well as progression using those game mechanics.

As for expectations, people will follow you if you post regularly. There is not so much the concept of books on there as just ongoing serial fiction. If you post every day people like that and it will give you visibility.

Some of the feedback you will get is very crass, but it could be useful in pointing out where something may be turning people off. But take it with a grain of salt also. Some people are just there to troll and tear down.

But generally you have a good amount of readers that are tuned in and will stay with you if you are consistent. 

Offline pwtucker

• Asheville, NC
    • View Profile
    • TransientMe
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2017, 08:32:35 PM »
Thanks! Very useful feedback.

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2017, 12:04:48 AM »
If you do, for goodness sake give it some gnome love! I played WoW (haven't in a while though) and was an awesome gnome mage -- seriously, as only gnomes with a knack for magical moxie can be (your garden variety gnomenclature doesn't even BEGIN to describe it). The movie had no gnomes  :'( Ok, I know it was due to the period of the story  ::) but still... depressing.

And yes, Jumanji looks hilarious and is definitely a movie form of LitRPG... flickRPG?
We can't have gnomes... Blizzard always stuffs them in out of the way places and 'forgets' them in their cinematics. ;) Actually, one of my fellow mages is a gnome, or was until a race change, so I might have one. Some of my favorite NPCs are gnomes too. So I guess you've convinced me!

Offline Joseph Malik

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
    • Writing and Fighting with Joseph Malik
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2017, 01:00:38 AM »
LitRPG / Gamelit readers have been some of my most ardent fans. Seems they'll take a chance on a new take on a genre, and for my work, they rave about the technical aspects and the consistent worldbuilding, even though my work isn't remotely game-oriented. They may turn out to be a wider market with crossover potential for some fantasy writers; they've certainly been good to me. However, if you [bullcrap] your worldbuilding and hand-wave your details, they will excoriate you. I've seen it happen. Proceed carefully.
Dragon's Trail: 100%

The New Magic - Draft 4: 50%

Hardcover now available.
Writing and Fighting with Joseph Malik | Website | Blog| Mailing List

Offline Paul Bellow

• View Profile
    • LitRPG Reads
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2017, 07:11:32 AM »
We've been discussing this at the forum...

https://litrpgforum.com/threads/stopping-the-litrpg-trademark.1667/

Some of us are ready to fight this tooth and nail...

Code: [Select]
Your slash MUTILATES the LitRPG Trademark for 93 damage.
Author of a new LitRPG Series and publisher of LitRPG Reads

Offline Paul Bellow

• View Profile
    • LitRPG Reads
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2017, 07:14:47 AM »
Hi Paul!

Pretty sure you know (know of? I think) my husband, Stephan Morse :) His LitRPG series is in my sig.

Hey, stranger! And, yup, he's been a good member of the community over at the forum... plus his books rock. ;)

Offline Paul Bellow

• View Profile
    • LitRPG Reads
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2017, 07:17:43 AM »
There's also this from Reddit...

Guys, he's been granted registration in the SUPPLEMENTAL REGISTER!!! IT DOESN'T GIVE HIM EXCLUSIVITY!!! This kind of registration doesn't entitle him to stop anyone else from using the word!

The Supplemental Register is the kind of registration they give to generic names in the hope that the mark owner will be able to "grow" it into his own brand name. I repeat: HE HAS NO EXCLUSIVITY RIGHT NOW. He can't stop anyone from using the word. He now has five years to prove he has turned LitRPG into his own brand name. Only then he can reapply to register it "properly" - and if indeed in five years' time he somehow proves that the word LitRPG is firmly associated with his name, then he might receive the right to use it exclusively. If we want to stop him, we need to use the word LitRPG as widely as possible in our books . We have five years to stop him from turning the word into his own brand. Let's do it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/litrpg/comments/7htgig/stopping_the_litrpg_trademark/dqueles/

Quite a few of us authors are working on fighting this for everyone...

Offline Paul Bellow

• View Profile
    • LitRPG Reads
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2017, 07:19:40 AM »
First, he's promised to never use it to block the use for books. We shall see - but the public "blanket permission" is probably good enough to hold up in a court at least for now.

Long term? I really wouldn't worry about it much. LitRPG has been in use for half a decade now. Any suit challenging the use of the term to describe this sub-genre would meet the same obstacles Games Workshop did when they tried to stop an author from publishing a "space marine" book. Extensive prior use by a multitude of people to mean a thing makes the trademark difficult to protect. The more time that passes, and the more LitRPG books which come out, the less enforceable the trademark will become.

The problem is he's already blocked me and other authors from his Facebook group (which is mostly used to promote his works), and the LitRPG Reddit before he lost moderator permissions...

I bet he'd love if we all just didn't worry about it. After my dealings with Mr. Kong in the past, I don't think I can personally let this slide...

Just a shame he tried to do this in the first place...

Offline Paul Bellow

• View Profile
    • LitRPG Reads
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2017, 07:27:56 AM »

Yup!

I, for one, am calling it LitRPG...

https://litrpgreads.com/blog/jumanji-welcome-jungle-litrpg

Offline Word Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2017, 07:37:52 AM »
Everyone talks about the "New Player One" movie in 2018

It's actually Ready Player One.

Offline Paul Bellow

• View Profile
    • LitRPG Reads
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2017, 10:14:55 AM »
It's actually Ready Player One.

Maybe New Player One will be the sequel. ;)

Good call, though. Tick. Tock.

The movie is coming.

Excited about Jumanji 2 too.

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2017, 10:38:30 AM »
Maybe New Player One will be the sequel. ;)

Good call, though. Tick. Tock.

The movie is coming.

Excited about Jumanji 2 too.
Yep, that's exactly what I meant ;) ... :P... I'm prescient!
(Actually, that Jumanji trailer scrambled any coherent thoughts of what the Player One movie was called, lol!)

Offline Elliott Kay

• Seattle, WA, USA
    • View Profile
    • Elliottkay.com
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2017, 03:02:57 PM »
I've got a novel about a pair of gamers falling into their fantasy game setting (Days of High Adventure), but I published it in 2014 before I even knew LitRPG was a thing. Now I'm wondering if there's anything I should do with the keywords to re-jigger it, or if I shouldn't even try since the story doesn't deal with game mechanics at all. It aligns by definition, but if there are established tropes I don't know 'em. Part of me thinks the audience would still dig it. The other part of me worries the audience might feel misled.

Always read the warning labels!
Elliott Kay | My blog

Offline AndrewSeiple

• Dayton, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2017, 03:46:56 PM »
I'm giving LitRPG a whirl right now, posting my serial on Royal Road. The feedback there has been invaluable, and it's gone well enough that I'll probably be turning the three arcs into a trilogy next year.

It does mean that they won't be in KU, since the bulk of the material's over in Royal Road to read, but oh well.

My story's here: http://royalroadl.com/fiction/15130/threadbare

Offline RScott

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2017, 04:00:50 PM »
I've got a novel about a pair of gamers falling into their fantasy game setting (Days of High Adventure), but I published it in 2014 before I even knew LitRPG was a thing. Now I'm wondering if there's anything I should do with the keywords to re-jigger it, or if I shouldn't even try since the story doesn't deal with game mechanics at all. It aligns by definition, but if there are established tropes I don't know 'em. Part of me thinks the audience would still dig it. The other part of me worries the audience might feel misled.

The game mechanics are a must to be considered LitRPG unfortunately.