Author Topic: Book Report adds Ranks and Reviews by connecting to Author Central  (Read 25998 times)  

Offline lilywhite

• View Profile
Re: Book Report adds more report customization, and adds borrow estimates
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2018, 10:19:29 AM »
I'm interested in the borrows as it can pinpoint problems if a book has lots of borrows and NO page reads.

I think you've misunderstood. It's going to estimate your number of borrows based on pages read.

Offline TaraCrescent

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2018, 10:20:28 AM »

The server expenses for running Book Report have been growing faster than revenue. In part because of the growing number of free accounts for authors earning under $1000/month, and in part because the servers are now doing more complicated processing than ever before. I've got a few planned features that are going to require substantial server expansion, and raising the price gives me the headroom to add those features without fretting over pennies.

Would one of these planned features be the storing of daily sales? (Asks hopefully?) I'm trying to analyze each book's performance in its first week, month, etc, and in order to compare one launch with the next, I need daily sales data.

Online Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2018, 10:21:15 AM »
@ Book Report - Is this new amount for everyone, or do us low earners still get a freebie? I don't think $19 is too much, considering some pay that much or more for a single landing page and other things less valuable are charging $20. When I make more than $1000 I shall be happy to pay it.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group | Newsletter

Offline Anthony James

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 16, 2018, 10:22:06 AM »
I've added a few columns and tried to get Book Report to update, only to find the swirling circle spinning in infinity when I ask for even a modest quantity of data (i.e. this month).

Also, I'm someone who finds Book Report a handy tool to tell me a flat number for sales and a straight estimate of my earnings. That's a $10 tool for me. I don't really want the extra stuff, since I'm not really that bothered about anything else. A near-doubling of the price seems a bit rich for what's been added.

How's about a two-tier structure? I'd happily keep paying $10 for the basic package. I'm really not sold on $19 for the extras.

Anthony James

Online Trioxin 245

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 16, 2018, 10:23:54 AM »
I've added a few columns and tried to get Book Report to update, only to find the swirling circle spinning in infinity when I ask for even a modest quantity of data (i.e. this month).

Also, I'm someone who finds Book Report a handy tool to tell me a flat number for sales and a straight estimate of my earnings. That's a $10 tool for me. I don't really want the extra stuff, since I'm not really that bothered about anything else. A near-doubling of the price seems a bit rich for what's been added.

How's about a two-tier structure? I'd happily keep paying $10 for the basic package. I'm really not sold on $19 for the extras.

Count me in.

Offline Benjamin Douglas

• Iowa
  • Reading :) Riting :) Rithmatic :(
    • View Profile
    • Benjamin Douglas Books
« Reply #105 on: February 16, 2018, 10:24:29 AM »
I love Book Report. I want to thank you for developing this amazing tool, which makes the viewing of our data so much FUN. But at the end of the day, it is more fun than useful for me. I've been thinking all along that $10 was a bit high for a collection of data that already exists for me on my KDP dashboard--albeit presented much more effectively via your service. I think you're doing a wonderful job with the software, but I'm adding my voice to say that $19 is beyond my reach. I totally understand the real world needs of servers and overhead, and I wish you nothing but the best!

Offline Krista D. Ball

• Edmonton, Alberta
  • Hybrid Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Follow the adventures of a fantasy author
« Reply #106 on: February 16, 2018, 10:25:27 AM »
Yeah. The basics is all I need, especially since I'm wide.

Krista D. Ball

Offline KhaosFoxe

• Co. Kerry, Ireland
  • English expat, UF author.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 16, 2018, 10:26:53 AM »
I'm wide and I'm with the others saying they'd be happy to continue paying $10 for the basics I've had to date, but have no interest in paying $19 for the new developments that are of no use to me.

Broken Accord & Chaos Conspiracy not available yet, just pretty.

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2018, 10:27:07 AM »
That is fine but what are the features that are upcoming and that I am going to have to pay for now? And when is the estimated dates these features will be rolled out? You are asking to bare a cost now, for something in the future that I may not want, or will have to wait x amount of time see.

The new features will be rolled out before current subscribers are moved to the new price point in three months, so you will have time to try them out before the price increases for you.

The new KENPC crawl can take a while if you have a large library, which might be the reason behind the spinner going forever. I'd try relaunching the software, then waiting for it to go away. And thank you for the input about the pricing.

@ Book Report - Is this new amount for everyone, or do us low earners still get a freebie? I don't think $19 is too much, considering some pay that much or more for a single landing page and other things less valuable are charging $20. When I make more than $1000 I shall be happy to pay it.

Low earners get the same price as always -- Free.
I run Book Report. If you haven't tried it, please give it a shot. I think you'll find it quite useful!

Click here to learn more!

Online Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2018, 10:31:39 AM »
I've looked at the new chart and am confused. What are units?

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group | Newsletter

Online GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
« Reply #110 on: February 16, 2018, 10:33:37 AM »
I'm okay with paying more, and I'm wide so it's not giving me my entire picture anyway. I'm just an addict. That said, if the features hinted at, down the road, include tracking sales on non-Amazon platforms, i will be very excited.

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #111 on: February 16, 2018, 10:34:34 AM »
I love Book Report. I want to thank you for developing this amazing tool, which makes the viewing of our data so much FUN. But at the end of the day, it is more fun than useful for me. I've been thinking all along that $10 was a bit high for a collection of data that already exists for me on my KDP dashboard--albeit presented much more effectively via your service. I think you're doing a wonderful job with the software, but I'm adding my voice to say that $19 is beyond my reach. I totally understand the real world needs of servers and overhead, and I wish you nothing but the best!

Totally reasonable. Maybe I'll win you back with some future upgrades, maybe not. Thanks for your input!

Yeah. The basics is all I need, especially since I'm wide.
I'm wide and I'm with the others saying they'd be happy to continue paying $10 for the basics I've had to date, but have no interest in paying $19 for the new developments that are of no use to me.

Book Report has always been less useful for people who aren't KDP exclusive, and this update definitely doesn't address that. A future update may, but I'll understand if you unsubscribe until then.

I've looked at the new chart and am confused. What are units?

There should be a little asterisk next to "Units" that gives an explanation. Units are the estimated download number -- sales, borrows, and giveaways.

I'm okay with paying more, and I'm wide so it's not giving me my entire picture anyway. I'm just an addict. That said, if the features hinted at, down the road, include tracking sales on non-Amazon platforms, i will be very excited.

I have no official statements to make on that subject at this time.  ;)
I run Book Report. If you haven't tried it, please give it a shot. I think you'll find it quite useful!

Offline Anarchist

• Methodological individualist
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 16, 2018, 10:36:07 AM »
I haven't used BookReport since mid-2017. At $10/month, I could ignore the charge. At $19/mo, I'll be cancelling.

In the spirit of constructive feedback, I'm unwilling to continue subsidizing the free-riders.

Subsidize a free trial for new users? Sure. Subsidize perpetual use by free-riders? Nope. Certainly not at the higher price.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Offline Krista D. Ball

• Edmonton, Alberta
  • Hybrid Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2018, 10:37:10 AM »
Are you offering grandfathered people in the chance to sign up for a year at yesterday's price (I can only find the new price right now)? That might help ease people in.

Krista D. Ball

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #114 on: February 16, 2018, 10:39:47 AM »
Are you offering grandfathered people in the chance to sign up for a year at yesterday's price (I can only find the new price right now)? That might help ease people in.

Shoot an email to hello@getbookreport.com and we'll get you moved to a yearly subscription at the old price.

Offline Krista D. Ball

• Edmonton, Alberta
  • Hybrid Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 16, 2018, 10:40:28 AM »
Shoot an email to hello@getbookreport.com and we'll get you moved to a yearly subscription at the old price.

Ok. I'll do that. I do like the service - I want to be clear. So if we can make this compromise, I'll do it for a year. :)

Krista D. Ball

Offline CallMeRed

• Midwest 'Murica
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2018, 10:40:46 AM »
Adding my voice to say also that it's too rich for my blood. At $10 it was a luxury. I didn't need all the bells and whistles. A tiered structure would have been a more logical way to implement all the changes you want to make. Not nearly doubling rates across the board and having us pay for the freebie you offer.

What a way to end the week. [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Nikkira

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2018, 10:42:10 AM »
I may have revenues of over barely over 1k a month, but as a new author, my ad expenses are about 99% of that. $19 will eat up any profits I make for the month, so I will most likely be cancelling in three months. $10 a month was stretching it. :( Honestly, the borrow info doesn't really help, even though I'm in KDP Select. I can easily calculate that on my own just from looking at the pages per day. If it was based on rank changes, that might be helpful.

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2018, 11:06:05 AM »
I may have revenues of over barely over 1k a month, but as a new author, my ad expenses are about 99% of that. $19 will eat up any profits I make for the month, so I will most likely be cancelling in three months. $10 a month was stretching it. :( Honestly, the borrow info doesn't really help, even though I'm in KDP Select. I can easily calculate that on my own just from looking at the pages per day. If it was based on rank changes, that might be helpful.
This in a nutshell. If this took a snapshot of rank per hour and looked at jumps and whether it's a borrow or a sale, that would be valuable. I can divide two numbers together myself.

Offline Huldra

• United Kingdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2018, 11:21:14 AM »
Ok. I'll do that. I do like the service - I want to be clear. So if we can make this compromise, I'll do it for a year. :)

I might do this, too.
I'm wide, and for me $19/month is too much for what you're offering.
However, even if I just pull the plug come May, I imagine I'll be back if you add in wide sales tracking at a future point.

Offline Mark Dawson

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • Mark Dawson
« Reply #120 on: February 16, 2018, 11:25:35 AM »
Im a big fan. $19 a month is very reasonable - I think it was underpriced before. Authors will have to decide whether they feel they get value - for me, its a nice complement to the KDP dash.

Offline Lark Watson

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 16, 2018, 12:00:33 PM »
Two questions:

1. Are you going to be charing people in 3 months who are on the year plan, bc the idea of buying into something for a year and then getting charged mid-session is not the best.

2. I honestly don't think having more on my screen I can get for myself is worth double if we can't get the information downloaded to an excel sheet. You had said a year ago you were working on bringing this back - is that not on the table any more?

Pretty colors and cha-china aside, I'd like something workable with my other vendor reporting.

Thank you
Modify message

Gothic Romance addict retelling Jane Eyre with a twist you won't see coming.
Lark Watson | facebook

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #122 on: February 16, 2018, 12:11:30 PM »
Two questions:

1. Are you going to be charing people in 3 months who are on the year plan, bc the idea of buying into something for a year and then getting charged mid-session is not the best.

2. I honestly don't think having more on my screen I can get for myself is worth double if we can't get the information downloaded to an excel sheet. You had said a year ago you were working on bringing this back - is that not on the table any more?

Pretty colors and cha-china aside, I'd like something workable with my other vendor reporting.

Thank you

1. People with yearly subscriptions will get the full year that they paid for. The next time their subscription renews, assuming it's more than three months away, they'll be charged the new price.

2. I did bring back the data export feature. On the Settings tab, you can click the "Download all sales data" button.

Im a big fan. $19 a month is very reasonable - I think it was underpriced before. Authors will have to decide whether they feel they get value - for me, its a nice complement to the KDP dash.

Thanks Mark, it means a lot coming from you!

Offline Lark Watson

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 16, 2018, 12:15:29 PM »

2. I did bring back the data export feature. On the Settings tab, you can click the "Download all sales data" button.

Thanks - you might want to let people outside KB know - there's a bunch of us talking about how it went away and never came back. I appreciate you adding it back in!

Gothic Romance addict retelling Jane Eyre with a twist you won't see coming.
Lark Watson | facebook

Offline evdarcy

• Cheshire, UK
    • View Profile
    • My Author Site
« Reply #124 on: February 16, 2018, 12:29:59 PM »
I love BR and I'm wide.  I'm also one of those 'free riders' someone cited up above. Once I'm earning above the threshold I'd be fine with the price.
I'm LOVING the feature of changing the marketplaces from percentages to amounts and being able to switch around marketplaces and units etc.

Thanks for working on improvements and being open and honest about things.

E. V. Darcy | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Blog