NetGalley

Author Topic: Book Report adds Ranks and Reviews by connecting to Author Central  (Read 25994 times)  

Online Atlantisatheart

• View Profile
Re: Book Report adds more report customization, and adds borrow estimates
« Reply #125 on: February 16, 2018, 12:45:34 PM »
I have no problem with the price increase, and the only feature I ever use, because I'm scared of breaking it, is the normal feature, but with hundreds of books on my dashboard, I wouldn't mind learning to use that borrow feature. (Hides behind the cushion from the scary tech-y-thing-y.)  :-[

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
  • Storyteller and Cat Minion
    • View Profile
    • Ineti Press
« Reply #126 on: February 16, 2018, 12:51:48 PM »
Low earners get the same price as always -- Free.

That's good to know. The indies making under $1,000 off Amazon annually probably would struggle to commit a fifth of that to BR.

Offline David Beers

• Athens, GA
  • Killing things one word at a time
    • View Profile
    • David Beers, Author
« Reply #127 on: February 16, 2018, 12:56:18 PM »
Count me in the voices of people saying $19 is too much. Nearly doubling our cost for free riders isn't treating your customers fairly.

Craft first.
Website | Amazon

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #128 on: February 16, 2018, 01:04:55 PM »
That's good to know. The indies making under $1,000 off Amazon annually probably would struggle to commit a fifth of that to BR.

The limit is actually $1000 per month, not per year. So an author can earn up to $12,000 per year on the free tier. Also, a fifth of $1000 would be $200, not $19.

Count me in the voices of people saying $19 is too much. Nearly doubling our cost for free riders isn't treating your customers fairly.

I didn't say I was doubling the cost because of "free riders". The free users are a part of it, but far from the whole thing.

I have no problem with the price increase, and the only feature I ever use, because I'm scared of breaking it, is the normal feature, but with hundreds of books on my dashboard, I wouldn't mind learning to use that borrow feature. (Hides behind the cushion from the scary tech-y-thing-y.)  :-[

Book Report is pretty solid these days, you won't break it by poking around. Give it a try!
I run Book Report. If you haven't tried it, please give it a shot. I think you'll find it quite useful!

Click here to learn more!

Offline Krista D. Ball

• Edmonton, Alberta
  • Hybrid Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Follow the adventures of a fantasy author
« Reply #129 on: February 16, 2018, 01:12:26 PM »
(Bookreport person who is posting whose name I don't know - support emailed over and I'm signed up for the year under the old price. Thanks for doing that. I do appreciate it.)

Krista D. Ball

Offline Anthony James

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 16, 2018, 01:23:41 PM »
Is the "old price for a year" open to all? I'll likely pay 12 months up front if so.

Anthony James

Offline Nicholas Erik

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 16, 2018, 01:38:45 PM »
I have no problem with the price increase. The reason I searched out this thread was the wording in the blog post. It seems to suggest that if you're on an annual plan, you might be charged an extra $90 once May 15th rolls around. Your response above suggests that's not the case. But the blog post isn't 100% clear. I just re-read it, and I think the problem is you're trying to address monthly subs and yearly subs in the same paragraph. There needs to be a break between them.

As a customer who has no plans on canceling (ever), I think some of the pushback is centered around two things: one, a 90% increase in price is mentally difficult to swallow, even if the value is there, and two, the pricing explanation isn't entirely clear (which I don't think was your intent; the language suggests you're trying to be totally transparent, but it ends up being confusing). I think offering existing subscribers the chance to lock in another year at $100 would help with the former, which it seems you might be doing. The latter is definitely fixable with an edit to the blog post.

Not criticizing. Just trying to help, since I want Book Report to stick around and be wildly profitable. Every time I have to use the regular Amazon dash, I'm...not happy. BR is easily worth the money.

Nick

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
  • Storyteller and Cat Minion
    • View Profile
    • Ineti Press
« Reply #132 on: February 16, 2018, 01:55:21 PM »
The limit is actually $1000 per month, not per year. So an author can earn up to $12,000 per year on the free tier. Also, a fifth of $1000 would be $200, not $19.

Thanks for the clarifications!

I meant $19/month = $228/year which is about a fifth of my misunderstood $1,000 a year. Mea culpa.

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #133 on: February 16, 2018, 02:16:34 PM »
(Bookreport person who is posting whose name I don't know - support emailed over and I'm signed up for the year under the old price. Thanks for doing that. I do appreciate it.)

My name is Liam. Sometimes other people respond to emails, but I'm the only one who posts here.

Is the "old price for a year" open to all? I'll likely pay 12 months up front if so.

Yep, just send in an email and we'll get you set up.

I have no problem with the price increase. The reason I searched out this thread was the wording in the blog post. It seems to suggest that if you're on an annual plan, you might be charged an extra $90 once May 15th rolls around. Your response above suggests that's not the case. But the blog post isn't 100% clear. I just re-read it, and I think the problem is you're trying to address monthly subs and yearly subs in the same paragraph. There needs to be a break between them.

As a customer who has no plans on canceling (ever), I think some of the pushback is centered around two things: one, a 90% increase in price is mentally difficult to swallow, even if the value is there, and two, the pricing explanation isn't entirely clear (which I don't think was your intent; the language suggests you're trying to be totally transparent, but it ends up being confusing). I think offering existing subscribers the chance to lock in another year at $100 would help with the former, which it seems you might be doing. The latter is definitely fixable with an edit to the blog post.

Not criticizing. Just trying to help, since I want Book Report to stick around and be wildly profitable. Every time I have to use the regular Amazon dash, I'm...not happy. BR is easily worth the money.

Nick

I've heard this a few places, and I have now updated the blog post with (hopefully) much clearer language. Yearly subscribers will not be seeing an extra charge in three months.
I run Book Report. If you haven't tried it, please give it a shot. I think you'll find it quite useful!

Offline Krista D. Ball

• Edmonton, Alberta
  • Hybrid Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Follow the adventures of a fantasy author
« Reply #134 on: February 16, 2018, 02:23:57 PM »
Awesome! Hello Liam ;)

Krista D. Ball

Offline baldricko

• Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 16, 2018, 03:09:56 PM »
It's awesome, Liam!

Looks great, and it gets better and better. I find it much easier to get information off BR at a glance than it is from KDP Reports, and I really like that I can adjust the settings.

I am one of those authors getting it for nix, but hopefully I will pass the breadline in 2018 and start paying you for your hard work.

A new trilogy is on the way, and it's something of a satire.
Gerard O'Neill | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Crystal_

• Portland, OR
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 16, 2018, 03:57:26 PM »
I'm loving the new features! I don't think I'll include Borrow Royalties, Sales Royalties, and Borrows as a part of my everyday chart, as they make the chart a little cluttered, but they're super useful for zooming out more big picture.

For now, I've added Units to my everyday chart. It's really helpful for seeing how much a book is moving at a glance. And it's fun to look at my all time borrows and units moved. They really add up.

Offline bobfrost

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 16, 2018, 03:58:29 PM »
Loving the changes, loving the improvements.

I don't love the price hike, but I'll do the yearly sub and it's about five bucks a month higher than I'm used to paying (a little over $15 instead of $10), and five bucks isn't enough for me to really worry about. I get enough value out of book report to make it worth my while.

Besides, it's a tax write-off. The real cost to me is peanuts.

Hurry up with those new features.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 04:01:18 PM by bobfrost »

Offline Jaelynn

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 16, 2018, 05:07:01 PM »

I didn't say I was doubling the cost because of "free riders". The free users are a part of it, but far from the whole thing.

Book Report is pretty solid these days, you won't break it by poking around. Give it a try!

Is that true about an author earning up to $12k per year on the free tier?
Ive been getting charged every month ever since I hit more than $1k even though my income went under the threshold two months later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #139 on: February 16, 2018, 05:12:50 PM »
Ive been getting charged every month ever since I hit more than $1k even though my income went under the threshold two months later.

Yes, if that happened then it happened in error. Send an email at hello@getbookreport.com and we'll make it right.

It's awesome, Liam!

Looks great, and it gets better and better. I find it much easier to get information off BR at a glance than it is from KDP Reports, and I really like that I can adjust the settings.

I am one of those authors getting it for nix, but hopefully I will pass the breadline in 2018 and start paying you for your hard work.

You can do it!

I'm loving the new features! I don't think I'll include Borrow Royalties, Sales Royalties, and Borrows as a part of my everyday chart, as they make the chart a little cluttered, but they're super useful for zooming out more big picture.

For now, I've added Units to my everyday chart. It's really helpful for seeing how much a book is moving at a glance. And it's fun to look at my all time borrows and units moved. They really add up.

Yep, a lot of the features added today are more for one-off deep dives, instead of things you leave on all the time. 14 columns is a lot! But I'm glad to hear you found one column worth keeping around in general. Anyone else plan on leaving any of the new columns on permanently?

Loving the changes, loving the improvements.

I don't love the price hike, but I'll do the yearly sub and it's about five bucks a month higher than I'm used to paying (a little over $15 instead of $10), and five bucks isn't enough for me to really worry about. I get enough value out of book report to make it worth my while.

Besides, it's a tax write-off. The real cost to me is peanuts.

Hurry up with those new features.

Believe me, I am putting the time in to get the new features out ASAP.

Offline MelanieCellier

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 16, 2018, 05:23:54 PM »
I like the new borrow feature. You can work it out yourself, of course, but the appeal of Book Report for me is that it allows me to work out a lot of things I could work out for myself much more quickly and easily (and without keeping a bunch of records for myself). And the more books you have (all of varying lengths), the more useful the borrow feature becomes. I like that I can now very simply get a general sense of KU read-through in a series and also of borrow to sale percentages.

I do agree that a 90% price hike feels painful despite the overall dollar amount not being that high.

Melanie Cellier | Website | Facebook

Offline MelanieCellier

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 16, 2018, 05:30:25 PM »
Yep, a lot of the features added today are more for one-off deep dives, instead of things you leave on all the time. 14 columns is a lot! But I'm glad to hear you found one column worth keeping around in general. Anyone else plan on leaving any of the new columns on permanently?

I've already set mine up and will be leaving ~Borrows and Sale Royalties on permanently. As I said in my post above, the borrows will give me a sense of series read-through rates and borrow-to-sale ratio, the Sales Royalties will give me a non-estimated percentage comparison of income from reads vs sales (which is a feature I've been wanting for a while).

Melanie Cellier | Website | Facebook

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 16, 2018, 05:40:28 PM »
I like how you keep improving the program, Liam. I can see how that big of a price jump is shocking some people -- me included -- but for someone doing a large volume of business it would likely be well worth it. Someday I hope to be one of the people who will need all that data. :/
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline bobfrost

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 16, 2018, 06:02:50 PM »
I’ve been getting charged every month ever since I hit more than $1k even though my income went under the threshold two months later.

I was under the impression book report automatically stopped billing monthly fees if you fell beneath $1,000/month in earnings. Check with the BR guy about it, because that sounds like a bug to me.

To the main point though... if you were earning 12k, $190 is 0.01583 of your total income for the year, minus the tax write-off, since it's a business expense (actual cost is probably around $11-$12/month when it's all said and done). Beneath that amount, BR is free, so it doesn't matter. Above that point, BR costs peanuts compared to income.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 06:30:00 PM by bobfrost »

Offline Rinelle Grey

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 16, 2018, 06:15:40 PM »
Im totally addicted to book report at this point, so Ill be paying the extra without complaint.

They way it allows me to slice and dice my sales is worth it, and Ive used it many times to help me analyse figures in a way that just wouldnt be possible any other way.

Looking forward to seeing the upcoming features too!

Feel good romance with a touch of magic.
Rinelle grey | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Rinelle Grey

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 16, 2018, 06:24:22 PM »
Ohh, Ive just been playing some more, and realised you can order the columns! So now I have earnings, paid units, sales, borrows, page reads, and free downloads, in that order!

And I dont know if this is new or not, but if you click on the title of the column, you can sort by that column! Loving this!

Feel good romance with a touch of magic.
Rinelle grey | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Carol (was Dara)

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 16, 2018, 08:33:27 PM »
I'm keeping the Borrows and KU Royalties columns turned on. These are features I've been wanting for a long time, so I'm happy to see them added.

As for the increase, I feel like it's a fair price for a tool I use every day. I want Book Report to stay successful, to continue to add new features, and to remain free for authors who aren't in a place where they can afford the paid plan yet (we've all been there). If that means a price increase, I'm good with it.

Online Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #147 on: February 16, 2018, 11:59:09 PM »
I think you've misunderstood. It's going to estimate your number of borrows based on pages read.

Didn't digest that info properly  ::). I hope Liam can introduce a ranking/borrow/sales feature. Would love to know the proper correlation. 

Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Online Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #148 on: February 17, 2018, 12:22:58 AM »
I guess there won't be much writing done today - we'll all be tinkering with our new Book Report settings  :D

Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Online PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
« Reply #149 on: February 17, 2018, 02:57:59 AM »
Anyone else plan on leaving any of the new columns on permanently?

I've got Sales, ~Borrows and Print sales in there, plus Earnings and Giveaways; that's my standard setup now. I like the estimated borrows, which is something I've been doing in my own tracking for a long time. I'm also thrilled to have print sales in a separate column, since the previous arrangement (listed in the Sales column) drove me nuts. I can see me using the separate columns for sales/borrows/print earnings too, from time to time. And thank you whoever pointed out that the columns can now be reordered. The more I tinker with the new version, the better I like it.

And if you can expand it to include non-Amazon sites, it will be perfect.  :D

Pauline M. Ross (epic fantasy) Website | Mary Kingswood (Regency romances) Website 
Bookbub status: 2 for 70