Author Topic: Book Report adds Ranks and Reviews by connecting to Author Central  (Read 25997 times)  

Online dgaughran

• Dublin
    • View Profile
    • David Gaughran
Re: Book Report adds more report customization, and adds borrow estimates
« Reply #150 on: February 17, 2018, 03:40:03 AM »
If Book Report isn't worth $19/month to you, I would totally understand you cancelling your subscription. Keep an eye on it though, because some of those planned features might push you back over the line!

I like BookReport and I've recommended it widely in the past. The new features are mostly KU-focused and don't apply to me as I'm wide with everything now. I don't mind subsidizing "free riders" so much as paying for features I'll probably never use.

Giving you 100% honest feedback because I like you guys: I'll hang on for a couple of months, but probably will cancel before the hike kicks in. Probably won't be able to recommend as strongly with this price hike. I'll keep an eye out for new features, but you've probably lost me as a customer to be fully honest - I'll start looking for a substitute or just make do without. The basic feature set is simply not worth $19 a month, sorry.
Stuff for writers thisaway

Online GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
« Reply #151 on: February 17, 2018, 05:17:59 AM »
One thing I would LOVE to see (aside from non-Amazon platforms) is preorders. I know they don't count as sales, but it's a number, it's on Amazon, and it can be pulled.

Offline K'Sennia Visitor

• Deep inside the AGU
  • I've got an idea!
    • View Profile
    • The Indie Authors Accountability Group: Open to All Genres!
« Reply #152 on: February 17, 2018, 09:46:53 AM »
 I mostly find all the changes confusing, especially all the repetition. Borrows and Borrows, Sales and Sales, etc. The thing I like best about Book Report is the simplicity. But as long as it keeps telling me how much money I've made in dollars and kachinging when I get a sale, I'll be happy. I'll decide on the money when I actually make some. Knowing how much I'm actually making is definitely valuable to me. I can't do math and trying to figure out exchange rates is worse than having my teeth drilled to dust. *shudders*

Offline Kay Correll

• View Profile
    • Kay Correll Author
« Reply #153 on: February 17, 2018, 12:13:16 PM »
The sort by ASIN isn't working now, at least for me. I used to sort by ASIN, copy, and paste to a spreadsheet I use to keep stats. I'm not in KU, so the new things don't add much for me. (and the messed up ASIN thing makes me have to download each day, find the last day, and sort by ASIN there and delete columns I don't need... )

Comfort Crossing and Lighthouse Point series. "Sweet, heartwarming reads"
Kay Correll | Website | FB | Twitter

Offline WasAnn

• I is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 17, 2018, 12:14:47 PM »
My BookReport seems to have quick working all the sudden. It was working fine with all the changes earlier, but now...nada. Anyone else?

Online Lydniz

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Credentials
« Reply #155 on: February 17, 2018, 12:18:26 PM »
My BookReport seems to have quick working all the sudden. It was working fine with all the changes earlier, but now...nada. Anyone else?

It's refusing to show borrows for the period I was in KU, but I imagine it'll settle down in a day or two.

Offline Anthony James

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 17, 2018, 01:35:14 PM »
I sent an email and got put on the yearly plan for $100, with a rebate for monies paid for the month so far. I appreciate the option to do this, so thank you for sorting it out (is Liam a one man band? I have no idea).

When I was earning prawn money I naturally liked being able to use Book Report without charge, though I always thought that I'd want a lot more statistical analysis tools had I been paying for it. When I became a trout, the $10 mattered less, though $19 pushes it into the realms where I'd expect a lot more than trawled data presented nicely.

Anyway, after that rambling last paragraph, I'm happy to pay $100 for a year and see what developments come from it in the next 12 months.

Anthony James

Offline DrewMcGunn

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 17, 2018, 01:39:36 PM »
add me to the list of folks who were sticker shocked by the rise in price. I've come to enjoy the features previously available, and like the bells and whistles added by Liam's team.
I'm barely over the threshold and will have to decide if the new features are worth it for me to continue.

I may bite the bullet and see about locking in the lower price for the next year.

I'll give props, though, and say that some of the new features are very useful to those of us in KU. I've incorporated a couple of them in the today and historical tabs.

Drew McGunn

Offline writerlygal

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 17, 2018, 03:51:29 PM »
Thank you, Liam, for continuing to increase what BookReport can do. $10/mo was a steal. I think people are surprised by the huge jump from $10 to $19. I bet if you had raised it to $15 the push back wouldn't have been as big. But I understand you have to do what you have to do. I'll continue to use BookReport as this is my full time gig & I make good money from it, & BookReport is invaluable to me in analyzing my business. I'm sure that some writers who don't make as much per month [$1,000 before expenses isn't that much when expenses might be 50% or more of revenue] might have a hard time paying $9 more, though, so I understand where they're coming from too. Cheers to all & thanks again Liam.

Offline ShaneCarrow

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 17, 2018, 04:12:18 PM »
Question about the $1,000 a month limit: how does the system measure that? I love Book Report and when I first hit $1,000 a month was more than happy to pay for it. But I assumed I'd keep hitting that which, er, hasn't happened. So I broke the barrier with one month as a statistical outlier and then paid for a year subscription. Does the system basically charge you from ever on if you've ever made $1,000 in a month?

It doesn't really fuss me because $100 a year for Book Report is perfectly good value, it's less than the price of a pint of beer a month. But $190 a year when my income has dropped down to the low hundreds per month, starts to look like an unjustified outlay cost.

(Although I hope everyone who continues to pay for it remembers that it's tax deductible!)

Shane Carrow

Offline Desmond X. Torres

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 17, 2018, 04:49:19 PM »
For me, the old BR was fine. I could glance at my numbers and thery're there. Great. That saved me about 20 mins/ day or so going thru a SS. It was all good.

I've been a paying member since it started, and liked it and was patient during the hiccups.

And only b/c I signed up on May 3rd and not the 29th like other authors, I'll get to keep it for a year at the old rate.
Terrific.
I'm a paying customer and just got nailed with a doubling of a cost.
What a brilliant way of destroying any semblance of... well, you know, whatever, with the people paying for it.

At a C note a year, for the time it saved, I didn't bother looking around at other products. Can't guarantee that'll be the case in 2019.
At. All.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 04:51:33 PM by Desmond X. Torres »

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
  • Aussie in the 27th century.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #161 on: February 17, 2018, 04:50:23 PM »
I see nothing in the KU borrow description to suggest it checks to see if you are in KU or not. Hence, does it tell you you got a borrow, even if you're not in KU? We do still get reads.

90% increase in price is steep.

Especially since I cant see anything there I actually wanted.

What I wanted was the ability to sort the main list by release date. No release date, but you are accessing the KENPC value. Whats so hard about the release date, and adding a sort on it?

I looked at the added stuff, and even with the description, I can't work out what half of it is. Yes, I'm stupid at the moment, but stupid needs to at least understand what each option is to use it properly.

I've a while to decide if I continue, but you added nothing at all I wanted.

At the least, you could have allowed sorting the main list by sales (or everything else), but no, still ordered by money, which is not what I want to see. Money reflects days. I'm only interested in actual sales on the day, and what the order is.

Seriously, you could go back to the original version, and I'd be happier. All this tinkering has added nothing for me through 2 version's now, and now we have to pay twice as much for it.

I'm also less interested in borrows, which is impossible to determine, than I am in the number of full reads. That I used to calculate myself manually on a spreadsheet until transferring it all became too time consuming. Only sales and full reads per book, in release date order, are of any real interest to me. The daily earnings is a side interest, but for me, sales per day is more meaningful, because money can take a week or more to come in.

My income has dropped like a stone this year for various reasons, and while I'm still well above your threshold, I've crossed under my floor level, where I now need to justify expenses. Earnings is not a useful thing to base a fee on. Net profit is the only real consideration when determining to buy something. And its my bottom line which changed this year, much more than my earnings. And that determines if $19 a month is justifiable or not.

As I said, I'm yearly paid, so have some time to play around, before making a decision.

But a 90% increase in anything is a fall over the doorstep move, and will make most people pause. And it could well be a matter of shooting yourself in the foot. Most huge rises prove to be.

A prominent doing very well author over on FB declared a change to your competitor after someone pointed it out. Hard to not want to do the same. Now.

Offline Desmond X. Torres

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 17, 2018, 04:53:02 PM »
Didn't know there were others still out there, man. Thanks for the heads up.
Whoa... I just had a thought...
In light of Data Guy's privatization yadda yadda...
Is this applet still secure?
Liam?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 05:30:13 PM by Desmond X. Torres »

Offline Rinelle Grey

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 17, 2018, 07:54:55 PM »
Timothy, you can click on any of the columns and use that to sort by, so sorting by sales is still possible.

Seconding the fact that I would LOVE an option for BR to add preorders into the mix!

Feel good romance with a touch of magic.
Rinelle grey | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Sam B

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 17, 2018, 08:56:19 PM »
Like a few others, I initially choked on the idea of a nearly 100% price increase, then ran off and asked to be charged for the rest of the year so I could put off the increase till next February.

Then I remembered that having to pay for TBR at all means I'm making more than $1000 in a month. While a lot of that is spent on covers, editing, and ads, I'm still making a profit these days. Add that to the fact that the new KU borrow estimates are convenient, and in the big scheme of things, an extra $9 a month is worth it for me.

I know I can get the same figures by exporting my information into a spreadsheet, and I still will, to keep track of readthrough percentages, but having those numbers at a glance on TBR is nice. Plus my spreadsheets aren't as easy to customize and manipulate.

The one thing that's driving me crazy, and I think might always drive me crazy... My first four books were assigned pie chart colors that are SO SIMILAR that I can hardly tell them apart. I would so very much like the color of a book on the charts to be customizable. Is it already, and I've just overlooked it?

Online 9 Diamonds

• View Profile
    • 9 Diamonds Press
« Reply #165 on: February 17, 2018, 11:33:13 PM »
Thanks -- the new features are very helpful. All power to Book Report :-)

Online Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
« Reply #166 on: February 18, 2018, 12:51:03 AM »
Question about the $1,000 a month limit: how does the system measure that? I love Book Report and when I first hit $1,000 a month was more than happy to pay for it. But I assumed I'd keep hitting that which, er, hasn't happened. So I broke the barrier with one month as a statistical outlier and then paid for a year subscription. Does the system basically charge you from ever on if you've ever made $1,000 in a month?

It doesn't really fuss me because $100 a year for Book Report is perfectly good value, it's less than the price of a pint of beer a month. But $190 a year when my income has dropped down to the low hundreds per month, starts to look like an unjustified outlay cost.

(Although I hope everyone who continues to pay for it remembers that it's tax deductible!)
No, you pay only for the month when you earned $1000. I paid once!

As to the price rise, if you are making $1000 a month, unless that is your only income, $19 isn't a lot to pay for a great service.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group | Newsletter

Offline archaeoroutes

• Somerset, England
    • View Profile
    • Alasdair Shaw
« Reply #167 on: February 18, 2018, 01:10:44 AM »
Playing with the attributes now. I can see I'm going to lose some hours today in data analysis :)

One thing I'd love would be for it to treat paperback and ebook versions of the same book as one book. Now we can have columns for paperback and ebook royalties, it would be nice to have them together. I can probably do something using attributes, but as a central feature this would make things simpler.

Genres: Space Opera, MilSF, Popular Science, Physics Textbooks, Archaeology, Walking
Alasdair C Shaw | Personal Website | SciFi Website | Physics Website | Archaeology Website | Newsletter Signup

Online Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 18, 2018, 01:12:31 AM »
Playing with the attributes now. I can see I'm going to lose some hours today in data analysis :)

One thing I'd love would be for it to treat paperback and ebook versions of the same book as one book. Now we can have columns for paperback and ebook royalties, it would be nice to have them together. I can probably do something using attributes, but as a central feature this would make things simpler.
I don't agree. I sell very few paperbacks and want to know if one has sold. I like them to be separate.

Offline Abalone

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 18, 2018, 01:53:39 AM »

As to the price rise, if you are making $1000 a month, unless that is your only income, $19 isn't a lot to pay for a great service.

This makes me sad. Here's to many $1,000+ months to you!

Online Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 18, 2018, 02:03:01 AM »
This makes me sad. Here's to many $1,000+ months to you!
Why, thank you. It was the month Amazon chose one of my books to include in its daily deals, so I'm not too despondent that I haven't repeated the goal. I have very little money with which to advertise, but when I do, things improve dramatically.

Offline ShaneCarrow

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 18, 2018, 03:47:42 PM »

Ha. Guess I should have held my horses and not bought a year subscription!

Shane Carrow

Offline TellNotShow

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 18, 2018, 09:05:52 PM »
I'm more annoyed by the sneakiness of the price rise announcement.

ANY price rise, but particularly such a large one, should be made completely clear to all subscribers. Surely that's a priority.

Instead of that, when I opened Book Report today, I saw only a small announcement of new features, linking to a blog post, which I didn't initially read, as I wasn't interested in any new features. I'm not in KU, and don't care about borrows. It was only later, when I happened to check my email's Spam Folder and saw the Book Report email in there, that I noticed a price rise announcement, and I almost missed that. Here is that announcement:

"The reports that Book Report generates are now much more customizable. You can dig deeper into the numbers than ever before, without making the experience any more complicated. The pie chart, the line chart, the details table; theyre all customizable. Also, we now crawl the KENPC for all books, which allows us to bring back the borrow. We have also changed our pricing.
Read blog post
[/color]
This update occurs automatically. The next time you run Book Report, you'll be running this version."

One short sentence about the price rise sneaked in at the end of a paragraph that also contains four other sentences, all longer than it. Followed by a button to click, then another paragraph that is also about the update. Whether it was intentional or not, it was an effective way to hide the nasty news of a 90% increase in price. This is extremely problematic. The price rise announcement SHOULD have had its own paragraph (almost certainly the FIRST paragraph). I believe it SHOULD have had its own email, or at least been a more prominent part of this email. And it SHOULD have been in the title of the email.

In BUSINESS, a price increase of ANY product the business uses is a VERY important consideration, and I almost missed this one. Not because I don't care, not because I don't pay attention, but because it was announced in a sneaky way. I am not happy about that at all.

As for the price increase itself, I WILL be paying it when my current year is up, but only IF there is something added in the meantime that adds considerable value to the product. It will need to save me time or help me sell more books.
Descent Into Madness: 99%

How To Win KBoards Friends and Not Puss People Off: 0.1%

Writing Desk Space Won Back From Dangerous Cat: 0.2%
All things in moderation

Offline Jaelynn

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 19, 2018, 04:20:47 AM »

It has for me, but Liam refunded my money. Although, yet again, like Clockwork yesterday, I got charged again lol So I'll have to contact him again.

Offline MelanieCellier

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 20, 2018, 12:41:21 AM »
I'm seconding that I'd love to be able to personalize the colors on the pie chart.

I'm also less interested in borrows, which is impossible to determine, than I am in the number of full reads. That I used to calculate myself manually on a spreadsheet until transferring it all became too time consuming.

Timothy - You mentioned you had trouble following the descriptions of the new options, ~Borrows isn't actually borrows, it's what you refer to as full reads (assuming you leave the option in settings set at 100%)

Melanie Cellier | Website | Facebook

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac