NetGalley

Author Topic: Book Report adds Ranks and Reviews by connecting to Author Central  (Read 25996 times)  

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
Re: Book Report adds full marketplace integration
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2017, 10:07:11 AM »
Yes, it's working now, thanks! I did have to reload, but all great now. Thanks for the quick response!

You're welcome! All updates do still require a reload, for now at least.
I run Book Report. If you haven't tried it, please give it a shot. I think you'll find it quite useful!

Click here to learn more!

Offline Beth_Hammond

• View Profile
    • bethhammondbooks.com
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2017, 10:20:49 AM »
I's so glad the ka-ching isn't going away. That would be like the time Coke made New Coke and then had to release Classic Coke because the masses were not well pleased. >.>

I'm still figuring this out.
Beth Hammond | bethhammondbooks.com | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline SA_Soule

• Northern CA
  • Author, Creativity Coach, & Avid Reader
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Author Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2017, 11:39:33 AM »
The Ka-ching is the best part  ;)

I love that sound, too. LOL

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2017, 10:12:11 AM »
Book Report now lets you add custom attributes to your books. This means you can give Book Report more information about your books, and then generate reports based on that information.

Some questions that are easily answered with custom attributes:

How much have each of my series earned?
How do today's earnings break down by genre?
Do I earn more from individual books, or bundles?

And one more, that publishing companies who use Book Report might be excited about:

How much did each ghost writer earn last month?

This feature is entirely customizable: any way you'd like to slice and dice your books is now possible with Book Report. So how does it work?

Click here to read the rest of the blog post.

The blog post goes into a few more specifics about the update. It also mentions that we've launched a new support website, since we've outgrown the single-page FAQ.
I run Book Report. If you haven't tried it, please give it a shot. I think you'll find it quite useful!

Offline Christine Kersey

• View Profile
Re: Book Report adds custom book attributes
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2017, 10:29:41 AM »
These are great additions! However, after I enter an attribute, the value field is grayed out and I'm not able to enter anything in that field.

Christine Kersey | Website

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2017, 10:36:34 AM »
These are great additions! However, after I enter an attribute, the value field is grayed out and I'm not able to enter anything in that field.

Sorry about the confusion! This feature definitely has more of a learning curve than any others I've added.

The flow to add a new attribute is:

- Click the Add an Attribute button
 - Type the kind of attribute on the left, something like "Series", "Genre", or "Length". If it's new, you'll have to click "Create a new attribute: X". It will then go gray.
 - Type the value of that attribute, for this specific book, on the right. "The Harry Potter Series", "Fantasy", or "Novel".
 - They should both go gray while the process, and then they should be added to the system.

You can check out this article on the support site for some more examples and instructions.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 10:42:25 AM by BookReport »

Offline Christine Kersey

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2017, 10:39:10 AM »
Those are the steps I followed, but after typing Genre in the Attribute field, when I click in the Value field, there's a circle with a line in it. The Attribute field stays white and the Value field stays grey. I'm using Chrome, btw. I also completely logged out then logged back in.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2017, 10:41:44 AM »
Those are the steps I followed, but after typing Genre in the Attribute field, when I click in the Value field, there's a circle with a line in it. The Attribute field stays white and the Value field stays grey. I'm using Chrome, btw. I also completely logged out then logged back in.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Oh, one more thought for where the confusion might be: After typing Genre, if it's the first time you're adding a genre to a book, you'll need to click "Create new attribute: Genre" in the dropdown.

Offline TaraCrescent

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2017, 10:42:33 AM »

As soon as you type in something into the attribute field, you should see a popup say "Create New Attribute called X" or something like that. Click on that popup to create the attribute. The value field should then be enabled.

(I'm on Chrome, btw.)

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2017, 10:46:23 AM »
As soon as you type in something into the attribute field, you should see a popup say "Create New Attribute called X" or something like that. Click on that popup to create the attribute. The value field should then be enabled.

(I'm on Chrome, btw.)

Yep, you got it! Creating attributes is an explicit action. New attributes are added all over the system, and generally you'll be applying them more often than adding new ones, so there's that extra step to confirm that you really do want to make a new one. I've updated the support document to be clearer about this.

Offline Christine Kersey

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2017, 10:47:03 AM »

Okay, that was the problem. I expected tab to save it, not to have to click on something else. It's working now. Thanks!

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2017, 11:05:39 AM »
Okay, that was the problem. I expected tab to save it, not to have to click on something else. It's working now. Thanks!

Glad you got it working! Please let me know if you run into any other issues. And enjoy the data!

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
  • Storyteller and Cat Minion
    • View Profile
    • Ineti Press
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2017, 11:10:45 AM »
Interesting. Whatcha gonna do with the genre data that you collate from all the users of Book Report? I bet you could do some interesting reports with that. :)

Offline blubarry

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2017, 11:14:40 AM »
This was a fantastic update. The first thing I did was add series info for each book. I knew what my best selling series was, but was surprised that a series I've always considered a poor earner has actually done pretty well in the 3 years it's been out. Thanks for the update!

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2017, 11:15:54 AM »
Interesting. Whatcha gonna do with the genre data that you collate from all the users of Book Report? I bet you could do some interesting reports with that. :)

Me? The only thing I'll be doing is keeping my eye on the total amount of metadata, and the trends (like the average number of a values an attribute gets), so that I can design features with custom attributes in mind. Hopefully many many interesting reports are generated with it by you guys though!

This was a fantastic update. The first thing I did was add series info for each book. I knew what my best selling series was, but was surprised that a series I've always considered a poor earner has actually done pretty well in the 3 years it's been out. Thanks for the update!

That's awesome to hear. This is exactly what I designed the feature for.

Offline TaraCrescent

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2017, 11:28:21 AM »
Echoing the others - this is an awesome feature. Not to sound too greedy, but any plans down the line of creating reports that filter by more than one attribute?

Offline LKRigel

• west coast, north america
    • View Profile
    • Blog of LK Rigel
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2017, 11:32:14 AM »
It seems to have broken my ka-ching :(

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2017, 11:38:06 AM »
It seems to have broken my ka-ching :(

I will look into that. Definitely not intended!

Echoing the others - this is an awesome feature. Not to sound too greedy, but any plans down the line of creating reports that filter by more than one attribute?

No worries about sounding greedy! One thing I like about new feature launches is hearing the ideas that other people come up with once they see them.

I have thought about doing this, but I'm not sure yet. It adds complexity, and usually you can accomplish a similar thing by just creating a new attribute that includes all the books that would match the multiple filters. And adding attributes to books that match a set of filters isn't too tough. But it's definitely on my mind that currently there are more ways to slice and dice on the Books tab than on Historical. We'll see!

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
  • Storyteller and Cat Minion
    • View Profile
    • Ineti Press
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2017, 11:44:03 AM »
Me? The only thing I'll be doing is keeping my eye on the total amount of metadata, and the trends (like the average number of a values an attribute gets), so that I can design features with custom attributes in mind. Hopefully many many interesting reports are generated with it by you guys though!.

Ah, ok. I figured you'd be able to run some reports with all the user data, like if you had 1000 data points from authors who labeled their books as 'urban fantasy', you could run a report and see how that genre is doing compared to other genres labeled by users. Then you'd see trends from a larger dataset and could do interesting things with it.

Online Lydniz

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Credentials
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2017, 12:07:13 PM »
So a friend of mine [ahem] is a bit dim when it comes to this stuff and would like a few more examples of how this works. For example, if you put "Series" as a new attribute, what do you put as the value? A book name? A series name?

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2017, 12:18:25 PM »
So a friend of mine [ahem] is a bit dim when it comes to this stuff and would like a few more examples of how this works. For example, if you put "Series" as a new attribute, what do you put as the value? A book name? A series name?

Sure, I can give some more examples.

Let's say you want to be able to break up your library by series. That means for every book in your library, you should add an attribute called "Series" and set it to the name of the series that book is in. So George R. R. Martin would put "Series" on the left and "A Song of Ice and Fire" on the right for those five books.

Or lets say you've published novels, novellas, short stories, and collections. For each book, you could add a Length attribute by putting "Length" on the left and the length of the book on the right. So your novels would end up with Length: Novel in their list of attributes.

Each attribute is a piece of information about a specific book. So you're telling Book Report that for this book, "Genre" is "Science fiction". For this book, "Series" is "The Hunger Games". For this book, "Length" is "Novella".

So to answer your question: If you put "Series" as a new attribute, you should put the series that the book is a part of as the value.

Offline KaiW

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2017, 12:19:14 PM »
The entire month of June is missing since the update - messing up my Ytd & 90 day numbers. Year to date graph jumps straight from May to July!  :o This happening for anyone else?

Online Lydniz

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Credentials
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2017, 12:20:52 PM »
Oh, I see! Thanks!

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2017, 12:21:45 PM »
The entire month of June is missing since the update - messing up my Ytd & 90 day numbers. Year to date graph jumps straight from May to July!  :o This happening for anyone else?

Very strange, I haven't heard any other reports of this. Does refreshing the page and relaunching Book Report help at all? I'll be looking into it.

Offline brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2017, 12:30:55 PM »
My problem is a little more basic. When I add an attribute, it won't let me add a value. Makes it pretty worthless. I've tried exiting and reloading, still the same behavior.

BR Kingsolver | Author website