Author Topic: Book Report adds Ranks and Reviews by connecting to Author Central  (Read 25993 times)  

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
Re: Book Report adds custom book attributes
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2017, 12:32:53 PM »
My problem is a little more basic. When I add an attribute, it won't let me add a value. Makes it pretty worthless. I've tried exiting and reloading, still the same behavior.

Yep, I'm hearing this from a few people. I think the user interface is less clear than it should be around this. When you add an attribute on the left side, if it's new, you have to click the "Create a new attribute: X" option from the dropdown. That will open up the value field.
I run Book Report. If you haven't tried it, please give it a shot. I think you'll find it quite useful!

Click here to learn more!

Offline Nathalie Aynie

• Toulouse, France
  • Queen of Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2017, 12:39:50 PM »
What would be really neat now would be to be able to attribute colors to all those things... author names, and all those tags. ^^
For example, I could give a color to each author name, and then if I look at the charts per genre, I could give a color to each genre, or each length, or each year of publication, etc.

Hot Paranormal Romance & fast-paced Urban Fantasy with romantic elements
Irma Geddon | blog | facebook | twitter

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
  • Storyteller and Cat Minion
    • View Profile
    • Ineti Press
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2017, 12:41:10 PM »
My problem is a little more basic. When I add an attribute, it won't let me add a value. Makes it pretty worthless. I've tried exiting and reloading, still the same behavior.

I ran into this and found the solution. When you click on Add an Attribute, two fields appear. You key in the Attribute you want (Series, genre, etc.) and then you have to click the white box that appears under the field that says "Create a new attribute: xxx". Once you click that white box, the Value field turns from gray to white and you can enter a value. And then click the white box under value once it's in, and you should be set. Not entirely intuitive, but easy once they're in there.

Offline brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2017, 01:09:41 PM »
I ran into this and found the solution. When you click on Add an Attribute, two fields appear. You key in the Attribute you want (Series, genre, etc.) and then you have to click the white box that appears under the field that says "Create a new attribute: xxx". Once you click that white box, the Value field turns from gray to white and you can enter a value. And then click the white box under value once it's in, and you should be set. Not entirely intuitive, but easy once they're in there.
Thanks, Jim. Definitely not intuitive.

BR Kingsolver | Author website

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2017, 01:26:26 PM »
Thanks, Jim. Definitely not intuitive.

Sorry about that, I was aiming for intuitive. These things can be very hard to predict before launch. Thank you for the feedback!

What would be really neat now would be to be able to attribute colors to all those things... author names, and all those tags. ^^
For example, I could give a color to each author name, and then if I look at the charts per genre, I could give a color to each genre, or each length, or each year of publication, etc.

Yeah, custom colours could make a lot of sense. Currently, the colours should always be consistent -- so the "Fantasy" slice of the pie chart will be that same in every report -- but choosing them yourself could be nicer for sure.
I run Book Report. If you haven't tried it, please give it a shot. I think you'll find it quite useful!

Online Lydniz

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Credentials
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2017, 01:27:03 PM »
Well anyway, I like it. Thanks for the update!

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2017, 02:04:30 PM »
Well anyway, I like it. Thanks for the update!

Glad to hear it! It's always a pleasure to launch new features that people find useful.

Offline Mercedes Vox

• View Profile
    • Mercedes Vox - Romance Provocateur
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2017, 03:06:38 PM »
I put all my series in Attributes named for that book's respective series, then created a Series Attribute called Stand-Alone for books that aren't part of a series. That makes the Series function twice as useful for me. Awesome!
Romance provocateur. Manic stealth author. Fearless gourmet. An epicurean anarchist relentlessly in pursuit of a foolproof cure for ennui. Committed (thrice).
Mercedes Vox writes short stories, novellas, and novels with characters running the gamut of human sexual orientations and gender identities. Mercedes resides in a quaint seaside town on Cape Cod with a loving partner and a small menagerie of bossy critters. Take note that chickens are smarter than you think.
Mercedes Vox | Website | Twitter

Offline Germanikus

• View Profile
    • autor-germanikus.com
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2017, 03:32:28 PM »
That's a nice update. Good work. One thing I noticed. The buttons on the settings page don't have any colors anymore. I liked that to get to the refresh button without giving it to much thought.

And when I am at it.Two feature requests: I would like to be able to get a daily chart for more than a 90 day period. Also a refresh button on the start page would be nice.

Offline MelanieCellier

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2017, 05:15:37 PM »
That's a nice update. Good work. One thing I noticed. The buttons on the settings page don't have any colors anymore. I liked that to get to the refresh button without giving it to much thought.

And when I am at it.Two feature requests: I would like to be able to get a daily chart for more than a 90 day period. Also a refresh button on the start page would be nice.

+1 to all of that.

A more easily accessible refresh button would be particularly nice since I've noticed since the last big update that I often need to press it a couple of times to get a refresh. (As in, I click to the BookReport page, which has been open on my computer and see it hasn't updated since I last checked, but there's a little circle in the corner, I wait until it finishes, no change to sales. So I go across and hit refresh and again wait for the circle to disappear, still no update. So I go back and press it again, wait for the circle, now the update appears. It would be nice not to have to do so much tabbing around during that process!)

Melanie Cellier | Website | Facebook

Offline vaughanwsmith

• Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Author Site
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2017, 08:17:06 PM »
This sounds great. I've been manually selecting particular books to build series reports so thanks!

Since series is such a pervasive concept I think you could do more with it rather than rely on authors to configure it.

For example:

- make series a standard attribute
- add an attribute for series number (1, 2 etc)
- create series report pages that show the following information based on the period you select:

- total sales and income
- sales per book
- reads per book
- read through % per book (e.g. sales of book 2 / sales of book 1)
- read through % for entire series (e.g. Sales of last book / sales of book 1)

That would be hugely valuable to help authors gauge the success and effectiveness of their series.

Anyway just the ideas I had immediately. Going to get to tagging :)

Vaughan W. Smith | Website | Facebook | Newsletter

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
  • Aussie in the 27th century.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2017, 08:50:02 PM »
Since series is such a pervasive concept I think you could do more with it rather than rely on authors to configure it.

For example:

- create series report pages that show the following information based on the period you select:

This information is already there. The script is run from the Bookshelf now, and all the series information is available on that page.

So series can already be ordered by publishing date, from info already available, thus no human action should be required.

I transfer BR info to a spreadsheet, which is in publication order. I dont want the report in money on the day order, I want it in publication order within series, because that's the order in my spreadsheet.

Given this info is available on the page the script is run from, all I should need to do is select the option to produce the report in publication date within series order.

While you're at it though, how about a print function? At the moment, I have to print page 2 of the browser print function at 80%, in order to just get the list of sales, in the wrong order. Takes me double the time to transfer to the spreadsheet than it should, simply because the report isn't designed for paper, and its all in the wrong order because the assumption money on the day is how we want to see it, which for me it isn't. I could use just the stats part on a report for printing, in publication date within series order, formatted for 1 line per book. 

Offline Rinelle Grey

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2017, 12:55:50 AM »
Love, love, love the new update! Thanks!

Feel good romance with a touch of magic.
Rinelle grey | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline EB

• used to care
    • View Profile
    • EB on Amazon
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2017, 05:48:34 AM »
❤️❤️❤️🤘🏻🤘🏻🤘🏻

Offline C.F.

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2017, 07:30:53 AM »
I absolutely love the new update! It's so nice to see my earnings per series, plus I can now break down today's data by marketplace, which is something I've been wanting for a while.

Offline doctorshevil

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2017, 07:43:46 AM »
This is a fantastic update, Liam. I just tried it out for the first time. I absolutely love being able to compare my two series' earnings.

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2017, 09:28:37 AM »
Show off.
;)
Awesome

Offline LKRigel

• west coast, north america
    • View Profile
    • Blog of LK Rigel
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2017, 11:39:53 AM »
For anybody who also lost their ka-ching - I found my solution. I have a video autoplay disabler, and once I disabled that for BookReport, the ka-ching came back. I think I downloaded the app close to the time the upgrade came through and didn't associate the two.

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2017, 12:45:53 PM »
I put all my series in Attributes named for that book's respective series, then created a Series Attribute called Stand-Alone for books that aren't part of a series. That makes the Series function twice as useful for me. Awesome!

Smart! I honestly hadn't thought of that before.

Yep, I did play around with the look of the Settings tab a bit. It'll get a total redesign one of these days. The refresh button will be in the same spot until then, so hopefully your muscle memory can adapt! I'll think about adding a refresh button that's easier to access, I can definitely see the appeal of that. And the 90 day limit on the daily chart was put in place to keep the servers, well, not on fire. Maybe not here forever, but we'll see.

A more easily accessible refresh button would be particularly nice since I've noticed since the last big update that I often need to press it a couple of times to get a refresh. (As in, I click to the BookReport page, which has been open on my computer and see it hasn't updated since I last checked, but there's a little circle in the corner, I wait until it finishes, no change to sales. So I go across and hit refresh and again wait for the circle to disappear, still no update. So I go back and press it again, wait for the circle, now the update appears. It would be nice not to have to do so much tabbing around during that process!)

I've heard several reports of that stickiness while trying to refresh. It's tricky, because if the spinner stops spinning, that means the program ran fine -- we asked Amazon for the latest data, and they sent it over and we added it to the reports -- but sometimes it seems like Amazon isn't handing over the latest numbers. Hoping to have this more reliable in the future.

This sounds great. I've been manually selecting particular books to build series reports so thanks!

For example:

- total sales and income
- sales per book
- reads per book
- read through % per book (e.g. sales of book 2 / sales of book 1)
- read through % for entire series (e.g. Sales of last book / sales of book 1)

That would be hugely valuable to help authors gauge the success and effectiveness of their series.

Anyway just the ideas I had immediately. Going to get to tagging :)

These are really interesting ideas. Series are definitely common, and those would be interesting figures to generate with ease. I can't see anywhere that it could click into the current interface, but it could be worth adding a whole new section for.

This information is already there. The script is run from the Bookshelf now, and all the series information is available on that page.

So series can already be ordered by publishing date, from info already available, thus no human action should be required.

I transfer BR info to a spreadsheet, which is in publication order. I dont want the report in money on the day order, I want it in publication order within series, because that's the order in my spreadsheet.

Given this info is available on the page the script is run from, all I should need to do is select the option to produce the report in publication date within series order.

While you're at it though, how about a print function? At the moment, I have to print page 2 of the browser print function at 80%, in order to just get the list of sales, in the wrong order. Takes me double the time to transfer to the spreadsheet than it should, simply because the report isn't designed for paper, and its all in the wrong order because the assumption money on the day is how we want to see it, which for me it isn't. I could use just the stats part on a report for printing, in publication date within series order, formatted for 1 line per book. 

There are a couple reasons I decided against writing a crawler to figure out which series books were in:

1. Not everyone uses the options within KDP to label their series.
 2. Some series are too complex for the KDP labels -- like three separate trilogies that also form an entire saga.
 3. Although it might work with series, it wouldn't work for a lot of other attributes. This system had to come eventually!

Hope that makes sense! This feels to me like a sort of catch-all solution for the various ways authors might want to divvy up their books, and it's much cleaner than trying to sort all the books programmatically.

About the printing -- I am a very technical guy, and I've honestly never thought about printing pages from Book Report. What do you like about having physical copies?

For anybody who also lost their ka-ching - I found my solution. I have a video autoplay disabler, and once I disabled that for BookReport, the ka-ching came back. I think I downloaded the app close to the time the upgrade came through and didn't associate the two.

Ah yeah, I never thought of that! That could definitely do it. For anyone else wondering, I did also find a bug that may have broken the ka-ching for some, and it is now fixed.

Love, love, love the new update! Thanks!

❤️❤️❤️🤘🏻🤘🏻🤘🏻

I absolutely love the new update! It's so nice to see my earnings per series, plus I can now break down today's data by marketplace, which is something I've been wanting for a while.

Show off.
;)
Awesome

Thank you all for your kind words!

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2017, 05:58:33 PM »
There are a couple reasons I decided against writing a crawler to figure out which series books were in:

1. Not everyone uses the options within KDP to label their series.
 2. Some series are too complex for the KDP labels -- like three separate trilogies that also form an entire saga.
 3. Although it might work with series, it wouldn't work for a lot of other attributes. This system had to come eventually!

Hope that makes sense!

No, as ex-IT, it sounds like excuses not to do the work to make it easier for those who do follow the standards. You should be doing both.

This feels to me like a sort of catch-all solution for the various ways authors might want to divvy up their books, and it's much cleaner than trying to sort all the books programmatically.

Yes, but it makes it a lot harder for people with a lot of series, or long series. I've 15 books in my first series. People with 50+ books in 10+ series are being told to do a lot of work, which should be easy to program so we need to do none. Sure, some people have non-standard systems, but that's what you just built is for.

About the printing -- I am a very technical guy, and I've honestly never thought about printing pages from Book Report. What do you like about having physical copies?

I dont like it at all.

But I have 19 books I transfer to a spreadsheet every day, and that's too many to write out on paper like I used to. So now I print them. But because they come out in a random order every day (might be money based but its effectively random for me), I have to hunt the list 19 times every day to add the stats to the spreadsheet.

I'd rather not waste the paper, but there is no better way of transferring into my spreadsheet. I'd just like them printed in publishing date within series order, so I dont have to hunt for each title all the time.

The reason for the spreadsheet is to calculate full reads from pages read, and add it to sales. This gives me a trackable daily number for each book, a total for each book, and totals for each day.

BR is only good for sales and pages read. This does not provide a useful number for each book each day. Hence the spreadsheet, hence the printout to feed it from.

Online thesmallprint

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2017, 06:14:53 PM »
A less than gracious post, Timothy Ellis, almost sour. Many people get BR free. You might mot be one of those but paying for something gives you no right to demand exactly what you want.

If Liam weren't quite so gracious himself I expect he'd refund your cash and rescind your membership.

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2017, 06:24:05 PM »
A less than gracious post, Timothy Ellis, almost sour. Many people get BR free. You might mot be one of those but paying for something gives you no right to demand exactly what you want.

If Liam weren't quite so gracious himself I expect he'd refund your cash and rescind your membership.

What?  :o

I'm an ex-systems analyst, ex-programmer, talking to a current analyst-programmer. This is professional IT talk, one IT person to another.

If I was his boss on this project, I'd have told him the same things in a lot fewer words. If it was me doing this project, I'd be asking me how I wanted it, since I am a user of it. Way too much programming is done these days without consulting with the people who will use it.

If he didn't want to discuss things, all he had to do was ignore me.

Please dont assign emotion where there isn't any, or you might start generating it.

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2017, 07:30:57 PM »
No, as ex-IT, it sounds like excuses not to do the work to make it easier for those who do follow the standards. You should be doing both.

Yes, but it makes it a lot harder for people with a lot of series, or long series. I've 15 books in my first series. People with 50+ books in 10+ series are being told to do a lot of work, which should be easy to program so we need to do none. Sure, some people have non-standard systems, but that's what you just built is for.

It's not excuses, just a product decision you don't agree with. Sorry about that! I hear your feedback, but I'm not really looking for a debate in this thread.

I dont like it at all.

But I have 19 books I transfer to a spreadsheet every day, and that's too many to write out on paper like I used to. So now I print them. But because they come out in a random order every day (might be money based but its effectively random for me), I have to hunt the list 19 times every day to add the stats to the spreadsheet.

I'd rather not waste the paper, but there is no better way of transferring into my spreadsheet. I'd just like them printed in publishing date within series order, so I dont have to hunt for each title all the time.

The reason for the spreadsheet is to calculate full reads from pages read, and add it to sales. This gives me a trackable daily number for each book, a total for each book, and totals for each day.

BR is only good for sales and pages read. This does not provide a useful number for each book each day. Hence the spreadsheet, hence the printout to feed it from.

Two things you should know about, just in case you don't:

- You can sort the table by title, alphabetically. Not exactly what you want, but maybe better than random!
 - The table is formatted in such a way that it should be copy-pasteable into whatever spreadsheet application you're using.

Online thesmallprint

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2017, 02:34:52 AM »
" This is professional IT talk, one IT person to another."

If that was the case you would have done this by PM. However your post was intended, it comes across, to me, at least, as an attempt to publicly deride the work done.

Offline Acheknia

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2017, 07:58:35 AM »

Hi, BookReport is not showing August yet (Historical, earnings by month, no step for August)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 05:32:20 AM by Acheknia »

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac