Author Topic: Book Report adds Ranks and Reviews by connecting to Author Central  (Read 30789 times)  

Online TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
  • Aussie in the 27th century.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
Re: Book Report adds custom book attributes
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2017, 10:04:05 PM »
I've had a play with the new features now, and I cant get it to be useful in any way.

I went through all my books, giving what I thought should order them in the order I wanted the reports.

Except no. All I got was money order for the report, within the primary group.

All I want is a report which is in order of publishing order. I dont mind specifying an order tag on each book, but the end result has to ignore money on the report, and be in the order I specified. The easiest would be putting a number on each book, to give it an order.

Honestly, I cant see any use for the new functionality at all.

- You can sort the table by title, alphabetically. Not exactly what you want, but maybe better than random!
 - The table is formatted in such a way that it should be copy-pasteable into whatever spreadsheet application you're using.

First point - How? I see no way of doing this. In any case, this is completely pointless for me.
2nd point - No. You have the reverse to me. I list sales first, reads second. The spreadsheet is across wise as well, not downways, so it would need to be cut-paste individually for each book. Easier to print and re-type.

Oddly, I cant see why you moved to the bookshelf to launch BR from, given you're not accessing anything there. The whole point of going there for me, is to access the information there and use it structure the report.

Dont get me wrong, BR is still essential for me. But the whole added functionality for me is a "why did you bother?".

Offline TobiasRoote

• Greece
    • View Profile
    • Tobias Roote Books
« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2017, 10:08:14 PM »

Dont get me wrong, BR is still essential for me. But the whole added functionality for me is a "why did you bother?".

I find the added functionality really useful. In fact, it was one of the first features I requested when bookreport came out and I think Liam's done a brilliant job of incorporating a very flexible feature. If it doesn't work for you why not send Liam a feature request and see if it can be incorporated into a new upgrade.

Tobias Roote | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Online TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2017, 10:11:51 PM »
I find the added functionality really useful. In fact, it was one of the first features I requested when bookreport came out and I think Liam's done a brilliant job of incorporating a very flexible feature.

Please explain what you're doing. And why.

Offline Nathalie Aynie

• Toulouse, France
  • Queen of Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2017, 01:20:49 AM »
I've had a play with the new features now, and I cant get it to be useful in any way.

I went through all my books, giving what I thought should order them in the order I wanted the reports.

Except no. All I got was money order for the report, within the primary group.

All I want is a report which is in order of publishing order. I dont mind specifying an order tag on each book, but the end result has to ignore money on the report, and be in the order I specified. The easiest would be putting a number on each book, to give it an order.

Honestly, I cant see any use for the new functionality at all.

First point - How? I see no way of doing this. In any case, this is completely pointless for me.
2nd point - No. You have the reverse to me. I list sales first, reads second. The spreadsheet is across wise as well, not downways, so it would need to be cut-paste individually for each book. Easier to print and re-type.

Oddly, I cant see why you moved to the bookshelf to launch BR from, given you're not accessing anything there. The whole point of going there for me, is to access the information there and use it structure the report.

Please explain what you're doing. And why.

Hi Timothy! :)

When I read your two previous posts, I couldn't help but read them as unnecessarily irritated.
I'm sure that's not what you want to convey, so I'm wishing you would edit those to reflect you understand both those facts:
  • BookReport doesn't owe anyone a specific update, or an update that works exactly as one needs it to work.
  • The fact that people find it useful is not a personal attack against your needs, they just found a cool idea to work with the update. :)

To answer your question as to how it's useful to me, here is how:
  • I'm able to compare earnings per pen names, useful if I want to have a global view instead of loading other pages
  • I'm able to compare earnings per series, and see which one is the most successful
  • I'm able to compare earnings per genre, and it has shown me that I should focus on writing more autism non-fiction books
  • I'm able to compare earnings per length (KENPC range), and that I sell more 50-100 KENPC books than I do longer books
  • I'm able to compare earnings per year of publication, and my books from 2011 are the one that sold the most

I'm sure that's not what you want to do specifically.
I know I'm a nobody. I don't even pay for BookReport, and might never pay for it, that's how prawny I am.

I'm not speaking for anyone else but myself, but I want to say I liked the update and can't wait to see what BookReport comes up with next. :)

I think the best way to obtain what you need is to:
  • Ask Book Report nicely, with details, instead of ranting about how the update is not working for you.
  • Show how it can be beneficial for a lot of users, not you specifically. That'll give an incentive to work on it, if it serves n instead of 1. :)

Oh, and to sort the tables, you just need to click (once, or twice) on the "ASIN" at the top of the book list. It also works with "USD", "Pages", and "Sales", etc.. It's not working alphabetically, though, or maybe I missed that, but that may be easy for BookReport to change, if he wants to, and if people need this feature.

I like when people get along.
When they can't, I like when things are discussed gently.

I think what BookReport is doing is a great job, is free for a lot of us, and not that expensive even for those who have to pay. He's been very professional in answering and getting things to work. I think we can all show a little gratitude for this great tool and the person who is working his tutu off behind it.

Hot Paranormal Romance & fast-paced Urban Fantasy with romantic elements
Irma Geddon | blog | facebook | twitter

Offline TobiasRoote

• Greece
    • View Profile
    • Tobias Roote Books
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2017, 01:25:55 AM »

When I read your two previous posts, I couldn't help but read them as unnecessarily irritated.
I'm sure that's not what you want to convey, so I'm wishing you would edit those to reflect you understand both those facts:
  • BookReport doesn't owe anyone a specific update, or an update that works exactly as one needs it to work.
  • The fact that people find it useful is not a personal attack against your needs, they just found a cool idea to work with the update. :)

• I'm able to compare earnings per pen names, useful if I want to have a global view instead of loading other pages
  • I'm able to compare earnings per series, and see which one is the most successful
  • I'm able to compare earnings per genre, and it has shown me that I should focus on writing more autism non-fiction books
  • I'm able to compare earnings per length (KENPC range), and that I sell more 50-100 KENPC books than I do longer books
  • I'm able to compare earnings per year of publication, and my books from 2011 are the one that sold the most

I know I'm a nobody. I don't even pay for BookReport, and might never pay for it, that's how prawny I am.

I'm not speaking for anyone else but myself, but I want to say I liked the update and can't wait to see what BookReport comes up with next. :)

• Ask Book Report nicely, with details, instead of ranting about how the update is not working for you.
  • Show how it can be beneficial for a lot of users, not you specifically. That'll give an incentive to work on it, if it serves n instead of 1. :)

Oh, and to sort the tables, you just need to click (once, or twice) on the "ASIN" at the top of the book list. It also works with "USD", "Pages", and "Sales", etc.. It's not working alphabetically, though, or maybe I missed that, but that may be easy for BookReport to change, if he wants to, and if people need this feature.

I think what BookReport is doing is a great job, is free for a lot of us, and not that expensive even for those who have to pay. He's been very professional in answering and getting things to work. I think we can all show a little gratitude for this great tool and the person who is working his tutu off behind it.

Thank you for putting my own thoughts so eloquently and I agree totally. :D

Tobias Roote | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Online Furry One

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2017, 02:18:53 AM »

+1. I love this tool so much that, at this point, I'm harboring a bit of a crush on Book Report Guy.

Online TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2017, 03:17:01 AM »

As I've said before, I'm ex-IT talking to IT. There is no emotion in this at all. The only emotion comes with being told I'm being emotional.

I'm feeding back my experience with the program. Period.

Any emotional perception is coming from you, because you see it, not because it is there.

• The fact that people find it useful is not a personal attack against your needs, they just found a cool idea to work with the update.[/l][/l]
I really dont care how others find it, so their experience is no attack on me. What is an attack on me is being told I'm taking it as an attack.
All I'm doing is feeding back I found the upgrade useless, and what I would prefer instead. That is the purpose of threads which document the development of things like this.

And none of it actually answered my question. This is what you do, not how you go about doing it. And incidentally, none of that is of any interest to me.

I do pay for it, and I'm very happy paying for it. In spite of the fact it presents its data in the worst possible way for me.

• Ask Book Report nicely, with details, instead of ranting about how the update is not working for you.[/l][/l]
When I rant, believe me you will know the difference.  ;D
  • Show how it can be beneficial for a lot of users, not you specifically. That'll give an incentive to work on it, if it serves n instead of 1.[/l][/l]
I can't do that. I can only speak for me.

Oh, and to sort the tables, you just need to click (once, or twice) on the "ASIN" at the top of the book list.

None of which deliver the report anywhere near the order I want them in.

But thanks, that is the answer I wanted from my question. I had no idea you could click on that. But its not ASIN on the today page, just the summary page.

It also works with "USD", "Pages", and "Sales", etc.. It's not working alphabetically, though, or maybe I missed that, but that may be easy for BookReport to change, if he wants to, and if people need this feature.

So I see. None of which interest me at all.

Well I'm sorry, this is the real world. In this thread I'm in professional IT mode. The iceberg which sank the Titanic doesn't do light and fluffy.

Come to think of it, I'm getting too old for light and fluffy. I say it as it is.

These days I tend to go by, if you dont want the hammer, dont push the hammer button!

This isn't a gratitude thread. This was a 'look at this, isn't it great?' thread, and I'm just not impressed with it, and have said what I would like instead/as well as.

I get that others like it.

But when you post you've added stuff, part of the response to expect is some people didn't like it. If you cant handle the negative feedback, you shouldn't post in a public place, but make your announcements to people's email address privately.[/list][/list][/list]

Offline Devyn Jayse

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2017, 03:18:57 AM »

This post was fantastic, thank you Nathalie! You are Queen of Everything  ;D I am just learning how to use Book Report so I found it very useful. And thank you Book Report creator.
Devyn Jayse | website | fantasy website

Offline Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2017, 03:47:01 AM »
Ok, I'll put in my 2 cents worth. Timothy, I can hear where you are coming from. It is very disappointing when something is new improved but not in a way that is of any use to me personally, and it is really annoying when someone says 'you can do this' without telling you how.

I have only one pen name for one book, so that is of no interest, but it could be in the future. I use it exactly the same way as before the changes, so I don't really have an opinion about that. However, since changing to bookshelf, Book Report disappears when I click on it because it has timed out. It never used to time out before; it used to be ka-chinging all day. I don't like that at all.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group | Newsletter

Offline Nathalie Aynie

• Toulouse, France
  • Queen of Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2017, 04:05:46 AM »
And none of it actually answered my question. This is what you do, not how you go about doing it. And incidentally, none of that is of any interest to me.

I suppose that too, isn't of any interest to you, but just so you know, you're coming off as harsh.

That you wanted instruction was not clear to me.
After all, you're IT: if I can figure it out, I assume you can too.
You asked Tobias to explain what he was doing and why, not *how*.

Now that you know *how*, and it still doesn't work for you, I recommend going to the support page and making a feature request.
That's the best way to go. But you know that, right? You're IT. :)

New rant:
BOOK REPORT (屮゚Д゚)屮 Y U NO MAKE COFFEE?!

Hot Paranormal Romance & fast-paced Urban Fantasy with romantic elements
Irma Geddon | blog | facebook | twitter

Offline Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2017, 05:16:01 AM »

. However, since changing to bookshelf, Book Report disappears when I click on it because it has timed out. It never used to time out before; it used to be ka-chinging all day. I don't like that at all.

My Book Report doesn't time out. I have it on all day longing to hear a ka-ching.  ::) Not sure why yours should time out.

Non-fiction, Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2017, 05:26:03 AM »
My Book Report doesn't time out. I have it on all day longing to hear a ka-ching.  ::) Not sure why yours should time out.
Neither do I, but it does. I click on it and it goes back to the Amazon bookshelf. Very annoying.

• Durban, South Africa
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2017, 05:29:28 AM »
Neither do I, but it does. I click on it and it goes back to the Amazon bookshelf. Very annoying.

Have you checked your settings? Perhaps there is something that logs you out.

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2017, 07:18:24 AM »
Have you checked your settings? Perhaps there is something that logs you out.
No, settings all ok. It doesn't do it every time, just more times than not.

Online PhoenixS

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2017, 08:55:08 AM »
No, settings all ok. It doesn't do it every time, just more times than not.

I believe this might be on Amazon's side after a period of inactivity where it logs you out if the "Keep me signed in" box on the login page isn't ticked. The box is right under the big orange SIGN IN button. This seems to be a recent addition in the past couple of months, either right before or at the same time the new dash was introduced.

Online TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2017, 09:01:34 AM »
I believe this might be on Amazon's side after a period of inactivity where it logs you out if the "Keep me signed in" box on the login page isn't ticked. The box is right under the big orange SIGN IN button. This seems to be a recent addition in the past couple of months, either right before or at the same time the new dash was introduced.

As far as I can tell, that tick box doesn't work. Or if it does, it lasts for less than a day.

I access BR 2 or 3 times a day, at around the same times each day. 2 out of 3 times, BR reports the bookshelf has timed out. I tick keep me signed in boxes as a habit, but Amazon's work the worst of any other site I use, most of which leave you logged in for at least a week.

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #91 on: February 16, 2018, 09:33:38 AM »
The reports that Book Report generates are now much more customizable. You can dig deeper into the numbers than ever before, without making the experience any more complicated. The pie chart, the line chart, the details table; they're all customizable. Also, we now crawl the KENPC for all books, which allows us to bring back the borrow.

Bringing back the borrow?

KDP doesn't give authors access to borrow numbers. That has not changed. But they do give enough data to come up with a rough borrow estimate. If a book is 200 pages long and it has received 10,000 page reads, Book Report will now estimate it has been borrowed 50 times. By default it assumes that each borrower read the whole thing, although you can tweak that in Settings.

This estimate can be fascinating. You might have a novella that never breaks into your top earners, but is consistently borrowed more than the rest of your catalog. A short story might only earn $0.10 each time someone reads it, but if ten people read it every day that's still great news for your publishing business.

We've added a page to the support site that goes into more detail about this calculation. Click here to give it a read.

Report Customization

Next time you run Book Report, you'll notice a lot more blue in the headers. Everything blue can be clicked and customized.

For example, the pie chart can be customized in two ways. You can choose what each slice represents (a book, an author, a marketplace) and what determines the size of the slice (earnings, downloads, purchases). As always, the slices remain consistently colored. You might be surprised by the differences between the earnings graph and the units graph.

You can also choose what columns you'd like to see in the table at the bottom. You can add a column for the estimated borrows, and maybe hide the pages column. Or you could add one column for sales royalties, and a second for KDP Select royalties. There's a lot of data in there.

And of course, this stuff is even more powerful if you're making use of custom attributes.

Until this update, Book Report has been very focused on earnings. With this update, it can be customized to focus on reach instead.

Pricing Changes

Starting today, new Book Report subscriptions will cost $19/month or $190/year. Because we don't want to surprise anyone with a pricing change all existing subscriptions will remain at their current price for three months, when they'll also be moved to the new price.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 10:04:42 AM by BookReport »
I run Book Report. If you haven't tried it, please give it a shot. I think you'll find it quite useful!

Click here to learn more!

• Durban, South Africa
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
Re: Book Report adds more report customization, and adds borrow estimates
« Reply #92 on: February 16, 2018, 09:59:43 AM »
Wow. Thanks for these new features  :). Your 'click here' isn't clickable  :(.

Offline dgaughran

• Dublin
    • View Profile
    • David Gaughran
« Reply #93 on: February 16, 2018, 10:01:49 AM »
Pricing Changes

Starting today, new Book Report subscriptions will cost $19/month or $190/year. Because we don't want to surprise anyone with a pricing change all existing subscriptions will remain at their current price for three months, when they'll also be moved to the new price.

Appreciate grandfathering in existing subs for 3 months, but can you explain the reasoning behind the price hike? I love BookReport, but, honestly, I'm not sure I love it enough to pay $19 a month. That's almost doubling the price for reasons that don't seem obvious to me.  I'm wide, so the borrow estimates aren't much good to me tbh.
Stuff for writers thisaway

Offline Trioxin 245

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 16, 2018, 10:05:26 AM »
As a small business owner for many years, I understand the cost of doing business. And I understand that sometimes those prices go up and has to be passed along to the consumer or eaten by the company. What I am concerned with is the dramatic cost increase for the user. That is quite the hike, and I don't see why I am going to pay almost double for the same service I have today. In other words the new pie chart and the new borrow algorithm doesn't seem to be that great of a value, if that is what the increase is based on.

Offline Krista D. Ball

• Edmonton, Alberta
  • Hybrid Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Follow the adventures of a fantasy author
« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2018, 10:07:13 AM »
$19/USD is beyond my price range for this. I guess I'll be cancelling in three months. Disappointing, because I like the service, but I'm wide, so the $9 increase is well outside of what I'm comforting paying. (especially since this is actually going to cost me $24/month in local currency).

Krista D. Ball

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2018, 10:12:14 AM »
Wow. Thanks for these new features  :). Your 'click here' isn't clickable  :(.

Links in my post should be working now! Thanks for catching that.

Appreciate grandfathering in existing subs for 3 months, but can you explain the reasoning behind the price hike? I love BookReport, but, honestly, I'm not sure I love it enough to pay $19 a month. That's almost doubling the price for reasons that don't seem obvious to me.  I'm wide, so the borrow estimates aren't much good to me tbh.

The server expenses for running Book Report have been growing faster than revenue. In part because of the growing number of free accounts for authors earning under $1000/month, and in part because the servers are now doing more complicated processing than ever before. I've got a few planned features that are going to require substantial server expansion, and raising the price gives me the headroom to add those features without fretting over pennies.

If Book Report isn't worth $19/month to you, I would totally understand you cancelling your subscription. Keep an eye on it though, because some of those planned features might push you back over the line!
I run Book Report. If you haven't tried it, please give it a shot. I think you'll find it quite useful!

Click here to learn more!

Offline Sati_LRR

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2018, 10:13:01 AM »
Another one here that won't be paying $19 for this. It doesn't matter how many bells and whistles are added, the value isn't there for a vast majority of indie authors.

• Durban, South Africa
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #98 on: February 16, 2018, 10:13:23 AM »
In other words the new pie chart and the new borrow algorithm doesn't seem to be that great of a value, if that is what the increase is based on.

I'm interested in the borrows as it can pinpoint problems if a book has lots of borrows and NO page reads. I'm referring to the page flip and other problems that result in lost page reads.

Offline Trioxin 245

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 16, 2018, 10:18:06 AM »
"The server expenses for running Book Report have been growing faster than revenue. In part because of the growing number of free accounts for authors earning under $1000/month, and in part because the servers are now doing more complicated processing than ever before."

Fair enough.

"I've got a few planned features that are going to require substantial server expansion, and raising the price gives me the headroom to add those features without fretting over pennies."---  That is fine but what are the features that are upcoming and that I am going to have to pay for now? And when is the estimated dates these features will be rolled out? You are asking me pay upfront now, for something in the future that I may not want, or will have to wait x amount of time see.

"If Book Report isn't worth $19/month to you, I would totally understand you cancelling your subscription. Keep an eye on it though, because some of those planned features might push you back over the line!" -------Sure, I guess others can pick up the tab and wait to see the new features. Sorry I am not buying into pay now, you will be happy later. Not a jab, but its what you are presenting. On a lighter note, you would make a great politician :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 10:20:17 AM by Trioxin 245 »