Author Topic: Machete - Your tool for cutting through AMS  (Read 5588 times)  

Offline edwardgtalbot

• Amherst, MA
  • Thriller and short story author
    • View Profile
    • author website for Edward G. Talbot
Re: Machete - Your tool for cutting through AMS
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2017, 07:10:23 AM »
Attackers might be trying to steal your information from machete-app.com (for example, passwords, messages or credit cards). NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID

BlueGen - that is almost certainly an error with the setup of the security "certificate." Unfortunately, chrome gives you the same message whether there is a setup error or whether someone has purposely left it out. It does mean he needs to get it resolved and certainly a reason to wait for that. But this can happen when setting up sites. It has happened to me in the past :)

Note - it is theoretically possible in some cases that this error is the result of hackers having compromised a site. But that is not likely in this case.
Edward G. Talbot thrillers: Sometimes, everyone IS out to get you.

Offline jsbangs

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2017, 07:18:25 AM »
I have fixed the DNS settings, so machete-app.com should be working again without SSL errors. It may take a bit for the changes to propagate to everyone's computers.

What happened

I was working with my domain name registrar to get email working on my site. Unfortunately, making the changes that they recommended caused the site itself to break. This proves that I need to get a new domain name provider, alas, since the one that I have can't actually handle the setup that I want.

Apologies to everyone affected by the outage.

Offline Mike_Kraus

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2017, 08:22:11 AM »
Are you sure everything's back up? I'm not getting SSL errors, but instead getting 404-looking pages indicating that nothing exists at machete-app.com. Happening in two different regions (checking at home and on a VPS) and not cache related.

The app at this point is unusable since it can't reach your site.

Offline Keith Dixon

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2017, 09:16:08 AM »
When I had the app working last night (not working currently in France, 6.00 pm), it made it very hard to choose the Free option. So when I clicked the gold icon the dialog would come up saying that reports for my campaign weren't available for my current subscription and I had to click a link to be taken to a subscription page ... where the Free account button wasn't chooseable. If I went back to the AMS ads page and refreshed, it seemed to work again for a while until, I guess, it timed out.

At the moment, clicking the greyed icon produces the same dialog box and clicking the Login and Upgrade link that appears leads nowhere, specifically to this: https://machete-app.com/login, where the https is crossed through with a red bar and the tab says 404 error.

Just so you know.  :)

Offline DavidMustWrite

• View Profile
    • DavidRBernstein.com
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2017, 10:02:23 AM »
So on AMS i have noticed, 'Ended' and 'Rejected' always show up top of the sorted campaigns column. This means if you have 3 or more of those, you will not get the free 3 campaigns. Can you change your limits to maybe 6 or so? Unless the coding is too hard to adjust for campaign types. I want to test it before I buy. And most people have rejected and ended campaigns.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 10:07:00 AM by DavidMustWrite »

Offline Daniel Roy Greenfeld

• View Profile
    • Daniel Roy Greenfeld: Indie Fantasy and Tech Author
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2017, 10:20:05 AM »
I love the idea of it, but not comfortable sharing my Amazon login info, so will have to pass.

I used my backup email address to create a new Amazon login. Then in AMS I added that person as a user. This way I could use Machete without worrying about them getting the login info for my main account.

It's a little bit of work, but now that I've got the Machete data I feel it was completely justified. It's a very good way to get more insight into how your campaigns are doing. So far I'm very happy.

Daniel Roy Greenfeld | Blog | Facebook

Offline novelist11

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2017, 10:21:49 AM »
How do I update the reports in bulk? I don't see that anywhere under my Keyword Analytics.

Offline brianna515

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2017, 10:28:10 AM »
The website is down. Says it's under development and not available!

:o

Offline BlueGen

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2017, 10:33:08 AM »
Thank edwardgtalbot and jsbangs. The app seems to be working perfectly now and all those scary messages have disappeared.

I'm looking forward to playing around with this!

It's a great idea for an app, and much needed.

Offline jsbangs

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2017, 10:46:05 AM »
And.... we're back. Two DNS updates later and we've gotten back to the original state, where the email is broken but at least the site is up.

Well, sort of. I can't see it on my Windows laptop, but I can see it on the Linux VM, and accessing it through a US-based proxy seems to be working. This usually means that we need to wait for the DNS information to propagate. If you're still seeing either the security errors (when using https) or plain-looking 404 pages (when using http), you probably just need to wait a little while for the new DNS records to reach you.

I'm going to be transitioning away from this domain service as quickly as possible, since it was their bad advice that got me into this mess. When I do so, I'll announce it ahead of time and try to schedule any downtime during an hour when few people will be affected.

Meanwhile, I'm extending the subscriptions of everyone that already paid by one week as an apology, meaning your next change will be in one month + one week from now.

Offline jsbangs

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2017, 10:59:32 AM »
So on AMS i have noticed, 'Ended' and 'Rejected' always show up top of the sorted campaigns column. This means if you have 3 or more of those, you will not get the free 3 campaigns.

The sort order that you see in your AMS dashboard is not necessarily the same as the one that Machete uses. Machete picks your three free campaigns based on their start date, excluding all campaigns that have an end date. This means that campaigns which ran for a specific time or which you manually terminated will never count against your quota. However, campaigns which are "Paused" or "Rejected" can count against your quota, since they don't have an end date. I am going to change this for version 1.1 so that these campaigns don't count either, but this will take a little work because the way that Amazon reports on campaign status is kind of weird and I need to do a little extra programming to work with it.

Offline MarilynVix

• Northern California
    • View Profile
    • Marilyn Vix Official Website
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2017, 02:00:11 PM »
Thanks for putting this up JSBangs. I was looking for something to help assist in my AMS campaigns. I'm really looking forward to the keyword functions, and it recommending keywords that work. I'm trying out the free option with my current campaign. Will let you know how it goes. Love the fact that you're letting us know about it, and letting us be like beta users. Happy to work out kinks for you. People on this board are amazing!

You totally passed all the tech questions that the crucible of members put you through. Some new people that join our board don't realize that they will get grilled for any product posted. But that we LOVE a tool that will help us as writers and our management of marketing our writing, if you pass the tests.  ;) WELCOME! Hope you're able to post and participate in other threads. Looking forward to reading your expertise in other subjects. :D

Offline funthebear

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2017, 08:25:41 PM »
Like novelist11, I'm not seeing bulk update.

Offline Mike_Kraus

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2017, 09:41:55 PM »
Couple of questions:

- Can we get a feature to bulk update ALL of our keywords to a new cpc? I know this might require a several-minute long operation since we can have up to 1k keywords but this would make my life so much easier when I'm copying/modifying campaigns. Seriously, this would be a killer feature for me.
- On the keyword front, why don't i see over/underperforming keywords or options for those on the keyword tab in a campaign, even with a day's worth of data collected? Is there some minimum threshold that has to be met for that to happen so that I can adjust budgets for keywords that are over/underperforming?

Offline jsbangs

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2017, 10:16:41 PM »
- Can we get a feature to bulk update ALL of our keywords to a new cpc? I know this might require a several-minute long operation since we can have up to 1k keywords but this would make my life so much easier when I'm copying/modifying campaigns. Seriously, this would be a killer feature for me.

Yes, that's quite straightforward. I have it planned for version 1.1. If you're interested at looking at the feature list for the next release, it's here: https://gitlab.com/jaspax/ams-unlocked/issues?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&milestone_title=1.1

- On the keyword front, why don't i see over/underperforming keywords or options for those on the keyword tab in a campaign, even with a day's worth of data collected? Is there some minimum threshold that has to be met for that to happen so that I can adjust budgets for keywords that are over/underperforming?

Hmmm, this is probably an instance of a problem that some people are having with uploading their keyword data. Keyword analysis doesn't depend on history at all, so it should be available immediately. This is the same issue that novelist11 and funthebear are seeing.

Offline Mike_Kraus

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2017, 10:54:36 PM »
Ah, okay. This is what I'm seeing: http://imgur.com/a/PLnSx

Do you think a fix for this will be coming soon?

Also thanks for the link to the feature list; that looks awesome!

Offline mlryan

• Arizona
    • View Profile
    • Coursodon Dimension
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2017, 03:41:08 PM »
I have a problem similar to Jim's:  I added Machete, and when I went into AMS, the first three ads that had the gold icon were paused ones, and the greyed out one was the ad I am currently running.  I terminated two of the paused ads (I wasn't planning on running them again anyway), removed Machete and re-added it, but there are now 2 ads with icons, one gold and one grey (still the same one as before).

Any suggestions how to get the two ads that are not terminated or ended to display the gold icons?
M.L. Ryan
Author of the Coursodon Dimension Series

Online C.F.

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2017, 04:57:09 PM »
I have a problem similar to Jim's:  I added Machete, and when I went into AMS, the first three ads that had the gold icon were paused ones, and the greyed out one was the ad I am currently running.  I terminated two of the paused ads (I wasn't planning on running them again anyway), removed Machete and re-added it, but there are now 2 ads with icons, one gold and one grey (still the same one as before).

Any suggestions how to get the two ads that are not terminated or ended to display the gold icons?

I'm having the same problem.

Offline Nikko

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2017, 06:16:57 PM »
I signed up for this, paid the $10 or whatever for a month.
From what I understand, it only collects data from the moment you install it, and you need to have your internet on, the extension running, and logged into your AMS account for it to actually work.
So, for those of us with laptops, no bueno. Am I correct?

Offline jsbangs

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2017, 11:38:21 PM »
So, for those of us with laptops, no bueno. Am I correct?

I use a laptop, too :).

It just depends on how long you leave your laptop on. Machete will update once an hour, so if your laptop is on for at least a few hours a day, you'll get data points during that time. If you have to close your laptop frequently, you might not get a very complete set of hour-by-hour data, but your day-by-day reports should be plenty accurate.

Offline jsbangs

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2017, 11:44:58 PM »
To everyone whose most recent campaigns are paused or ended: This is turning out to be a more widespread problem than I had anticipated. I'm going to maybe make some adjustments to the pay structure to help people evaluate the service better, but I'll be back once I have it ready.

Offline Shawn Inmon

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2017, 10:32:51 AM »
I tried sending you a message and got this reply:

Delivery incomplete
There was a temporary problem delivering your message to support@machete-app.com

This app has some potential use (that's why I subscribed initially) but it feels buggy and incomplete to me, like it was brought out too soon, without adequate testing. That's why I have unsubscribed now.

Here's one of the things that bug me: when I click on one of the charts for the info, it swings me up to the top of the page, so I have to scroll back down to see the information. Since I have 20+ ads running, it's often hard for me to then tell which campaign the box was associated with.

Shawn Inmon | Website | Facebook

Offline jsbangs

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2017, 11:21:21 AM »
Shawn:

Thanks for pointing out the problem with the popup charts on large data sets. I've added that to the backlog for version 1.1.

Offline jsbangs

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2017, 12:19:59 PM »
Pricing Change

Due to some early feedback, it seems that the existing free plan doesn't provide enough information for many people to really see what Machete does for them. Therefore, effective immediately, we're now offering the first month free on all subscription plans.

This means that if you want to test out the Pro or Premium subscription, you can sign up now and will not be charged for an entire month. You have that month to evaluate the service, and you are free to cancel at any time.

I have also pushed back the billing date of people who have already been charged, so for example if you signed up on 5/18 you won't be billed again until 7/18.

Thanks to everyone who has used Machete so far.

Online C.F.

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2017, 02:24:54 PM »
Pricing Change

Due to some early feedback, it seems that the existing free plan doesn't provide enough information for many people to really see what Machete does for them. Therefore, effective immediately, we're now offering the first month free on all subscription plans.

This means that if you want to test out the Pro or Premium subscription, you can sign up now and will not be charged for an entire month. You have that month to evaluate the service, and you are free to cancel at any time.

I have also pushed back the billing date of people who have already been charged, so for example if you signed up on 5/18 you won't be billed again until 7/18.

Thanks to everyone who has used Machete so far.

Awesome! I just signed up. There were actually some surprises when I looked at all the data the plugin provides. I had expected it to be merely a time saver, but it caught some keywords that were doing better than I thought.