Author Topic: Vellum for Print gets a release date!  (Read 2622 times)  

Offline Steve Voelker

• Philly
    • View Profile
Vellum for Print gets a release date!
« on: May 18, 2017, 11:25:09 AM »
http://blog.180g.co/2017/05/coming-soon-vellum-2-0/

As a beta user, I can say that this is the single best piece of publishing software I own.

Offline JRTomlin

• View Profile
    • J. R. Tomlin on Writing and More
Re: Vellum for Print gets a release date!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 11:27:58 AM »
Woohoo! *happy dance*

I just received the email announcement and trying to figure out the pricing but whatever it is, I'll pay it. :)

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin | J. R. Tomlin | Writing and More

Offline A.G.B

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 11:35:05 AM »
Fantastic news!

And happy with that upgrade price. Will get it on day one!

Offline David Greene

• Chicago, Illinois
    • View Profile
    • David Greene Books
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 11:35:33 AM »
Yay! For me, planning a June release, the timing is perfect.

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 11:37:54 AM »
Well, I would have liked it for my last project, but it's nice to know it will be there for all future projects. :D

The pricing is very reasonable, and the upgrade price is more than fair. Whether one sees Vellum as a replacement for hiring a formatter or as way to save quite a few hours doing it oneself, it's a good deal.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Online GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 11:38:58 AM »
Just in time to reformat my June 20 release.

then I'll be reformatting all my other books because why not?

Offline SevenDays

• PNW
  • Imagine something cool and witty here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 11:40:23 AM »
Ugh. Bought the unlimited license Jan 25 of this year. Now I'm going to have to pay the full price again to get print functionality.

Yeah, I got the unlimited license for Christmas. Now I'm not too thrilled that I'll have to pay $99 to upgrade for print--not when the whole shebang from scratch is only $249.

Alex A. King | Website

Offline Mark F

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 11:41:11 AM »
I misread the release email and thought I'd have to buy the full version again even though I'd just purchased an unlimited license at the beginning of this year.

Unlimited upgrade is very reasonable! Stoked to get print books out now.

Offline FelissaEly

• View Profile
    • FrustratedEgo Stories
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 11:42:13 AM »
Thinks long and hard about getting a Mac... hehe

My husband's published work
Stephan Morse | FrustratedEgo Stories | FrustratedEgo Stories Facebook

Offline NeedWant

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 11:44:22 AM »
Yes!

Glad there's an upgrade option for those of us who already have Vellum Unlimited.

Offline Steve Voelker

• Philly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 11:44:56 AM »
Now I'm not too thrilled that I'll have to pay $99 to upgrade for print--not when the whole shebang from scratch is only $249.
Worth every penny.
$99 is about enough to hire out the print formatting on one book.
And after seeing how much work they did during the beta, plus how well they have supported the ebook version up until now, it seems like even more of a bargain!

Offline SevenDays

• PNW
  • Imagine something cool and witty here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 11:48:45 AM »
Worth every penny.
$99 is about enough to hire out the print formatting on one book.
And after seeing how much work they did during the beta, plus how well they have supported the ebook version up until now, it seems like even more of a bargain!

I'm sure it's worth it, yeah, because the whole company and program are amazing. I'm just not thrilled that it costs a hundred bucks more to upgrade when buying the whole thing is $50 less.

Alex A. King | Website

Offline wingsandwords

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017, 11:49:01 AM »
YAY. I was putting off formatting my most recent book, and now I'm totally just going to wait until June 1st. Then I can format my next one just as quick and easy and won't have a reason to wait.

Thank goodness. Createspace's templates were driving me crazy.

Izzy Shows | Website

Offline Alan Petersen

• San Francisco, CA
  • I write high octane thrillers.
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Action Thrillers from Alan Petersen
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2017, 11:51:36 AM »
I just got the email 26 minutes ago, so I was curious if there was already a thread about it. Yup.  ;D

I'm excited. I'll be paying for the $100 upgrade right away. I have two books coming out so Vellum will be saving me money pretty quickly. I've only heard great things from beta testers, so I'm psyched for the upgrade! And on my birthday.  ;D

Online Dan C. Rinnert

• Unposts: 39
  • ⚠ Run! ⚠
    • View Profile
    • Dan C. Rinnert
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 11:56:00 AM »
Are there examples anywhere of what the print formatting looks like?

Offline Steve Voelker

• Philly
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2017, 11:56:59 AM »
I'm sure it's worth it, yeah, because the whole company and program are amazing. I'm just not thrilled that it costs a hundred bucks more to upgrade when buying the whole thing is $50 less.
But that's almost always true of package pricing.
That's why people buy in bulk. Even my own ebook box sets are cheaper than buying the books separately. And there will almost certainly be a sale or a price drop down the road.
I'm an early adopter type, so I feel the sting more often than most.
But when I buy something, like a series of books one book at a time as they are released, I count the extra I might have spent as going towards the joy I got from reading them right away, instead of waiting until the box set was out.
You just have to look at it like this: You didn't lose $50 by getting Vellum before this, you GAINED the use of Vellum for almost 1/2 a year! :)

Online Rickie Blair

• Southern Ontario
    • View Profile
    • Rickie Blair
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2017, 12:07:12 PM »
I've been beta testing it, and believe me, I can't send the Brads my $99.99 fast enough. I've done books for both KDP Print and Ingram Spark with it and it's fabulous. Those books sailed through the approval process in no time.

(If you've bought the unlimited package after April 1 of this year, you do get a $50 discount. Everybody else is out of luck.)

Vellum is easily one of the best purchases I've made for my writing/publishing business. And the print version is awesome!

You can check out either of the first two books in my sig, although bear in mind my layout is only one of the options you can choose. And definitely not the fanciest. I don't use ornamental breaks in print, for instance, preferring white space.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 12:13:00 PM by Rickie Blair »

In Leafy Hollow, murder is always in season!
Rickie Blair | RickieBlair.com | GoodReads | Facebook

Offline Anarchist

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2017, 12:10:36 PM »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Offline Alan Petersen

• San Francisco, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2017, 12:16:17 PM »

That about sums it up for me.  ;D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpw92vH0wdc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpw92vH0wdc</a>

Offline BGArcher

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2017, 12:18:20 PM »
I love Vellum and look forward to upgrading, but a quick question for those of you who where in the beta. Does it make publishing through create-space easier? I've been on the create-space giveaway and then publish to amazon train. Anything that streamlines my process even further is always appreciated  8)

Online Rickie Blair

• Southern Ontario
    • View Profile
    • Rickie Blair
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2017, 12:21:59 PM »
All I can tell you is this: I had endless grief from KDP Print when I set up two books with them. I never did figure out what they wanted. I just made changes at random until something stuck.

(And I do know how to format paperbacks; I can use both InDesign and Word and have professional layout experience.)

Yet the exact same books, after re-formatting with Vellum, sailed through the KDP approval process in under an hour. They were also approved at Ingram Spark in less than a day. I have no idea why that should be, but there you go.

Also, once you have your ebook file in Vellum, it takes a matter of minutes to compile the paperback version. It really is amazing.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 12:25:26 PM by Rickie Blair »

Offline BGArcher

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2017, 12:25:04 PM »
All I can tell you is this: I had endless grief from KDP Print when I set up two books with them. I never did figure out what they wanted. I just made changes at random until something stuck.

(And I do know how to format paperbacks; I can use both InDesign and Word and have professional layout experience.)

Yet the exact same books, after formatting with Vellum, sailed through the KDP approval process in under an hour. They were also approved at Ingram Spark in less than a day. I have no idea why that should be, but there you go.

Also, once you have your ebook file in Vellum, it takes a matter of minutes to compile the paperback version. It really is amazing.

Aannnddd double sold. I mean, day one for sure now.

Offline BeMyBookBaby

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2017, 12:27:07 PM »
Any chance of a sale going down around this time? I heard they did a little sale during the last upgrade...

This poor student loves a bargain...

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
  • Storyteller and Cat Minion
    • View Profile
    • Ineti Press
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2017, 12:27:49 PM »

That's what I'd like to see. Can Vellum print do dropcaps on first paragraphs in chapters and graphical chapter headings and scene breaks?

For instance: 

Or:

Can Vellum print get something close to that? I'd love a one-stop shop for ebook and print, but if I can't get creative with the print version, I'll likely stick with farming out the InDesign work.

EDIT: And, for the nonfiction writers and those of us dabbling in illustrations, can Vellum print add illustrations to print books (or ebooks)?

« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 12:32:08 PM by Jim Johnson »

Offline mdrake

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2017, 12:30:56 PM »

Online Rickie Blair

• Southern Ontario
    • View Profile
    • Rickie Blair
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2017, 12:42:10 PM »
That's what I'd like to see. Can Vellum print do dropcaps on first paragraphs in chapters and graphical chapter headings and scene breaks?

Yes to drop caps and ornamental scene breaks. The chapter headings on offer so far are fairly restricted. But I only have the beta version, so that may change.
I don't know if you can include illustrations.

Offline Abalone

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2017, 12:47:54 PM »
Yeah. I think Brad said they plan on introducing more features in the near future. I think for two dudes developing their own software, Vellum is quite exceptional at what it does, and does it right the first time. It's also bug free (in my experience).

Offline Huldra

• United Kingdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2017, 12:50:31 PM »
YASSSS!!!!!!!!

Offline Cassie Leigh

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2017, 12:56:49 PM »
It's also bug free (in my experience).

Not sure you'd call it a bug, but...

I just started using Vellum in April so should've had the most recent version, but found that drop caps looked horrible for me on some devices and ended up stripping them out of all of my ebooks.  Of course, most authors probably don't have a character whose name starts with a K and is used to start 60% of their chapters so don't see the issue with script drop caps where it adds a line break on the third line for certain letters but not all of them.

Having said that, I still like the product and since I can upgrade for $50 will buy it and play around with it.  But I wonder if I'll have the level of control I want in print.  Does anyone know how it handles widows/orphans or paragraphs that end with very short words?  Does it adjust those or allow you to manually do so?  I found the ebook version was constrained in what I wanted to do a few times.

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.
Blog

Offline SugarBear57

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2017, 01:13:24 PM »
I will be buying it.

Offline Stephanie Vercier

• View Profile
    • Stephanie Vercier
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2017, 01:17:39 PM »
So excited!

Stephanie Vercier | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Website | Goodreads

Online MaryMcDonald

• View Profile
    • M.P. McDonald
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2017, 01:27:46 PM »
Yeah, I got the unlimited license for Christmas. Now I'm not too thrilled that I'll have to pay $99 to upgrade for print--not when the whole shebang from scratch is only $249.

Yeah. I also have the unlimited license and am kind of bummed that the upgrade ends up costing us more than those just purchasing the program.

The Mark Taylor Series-Intense thrillers | CJ Sheridan Thrillers
M.P. McDonald | M.P. McDonald | Facebook | Amazon Author Page

Offline Steve Voelker

• Philly
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2017, 01:51:12 PM »
Yeah. I also have the unlimited license and am kind of bummed that the upgrade ends up costing us more than those just purchasing the program.
People just purchasing have to spend $249.

You get to spend $99 for a program to format print books from the same files you use for your ebooks! I am blown away by how cheap this upgrade is.
I would have paid the full $249 again just to add this functionality!

Sure, you could have waited until now to buy, then you would be coming out $50 ahead. But if you are already a Vellum user, it means you have had the use of Vellum for your ebooks for all this time. I know I've gotten more than $50 worth out of it!

I could see being a little upset if you JUST bought Vellum within the last month and thought you had to spend extra. But for anyone who has purchased after April 1st, they will let you upgrade for only $50.

Offline Abalone

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2017, 01:57:34 PM »
Not sure you'd call it a bug, but...

I just started using Vellum in April so should've had the most recent version, but found that drop caps looked horrible for me on some devices and ended up stripping them out of all of my ebooks.  Of course, most authors probably don't have a character whose name starts with a K and is used to start 60% of their chapters so don't see the issue with script drop caps where it adds a line break on the third line for certain letters but not all of them.

Having said that, I still like the product and since I can upgrade for $50 will buy it and play around with it.  But I wonder if I'll have the level of control I want in print.  Does anyone know how it handles widows/orphans or paragraphs that end with very short words?  Does it adjust those or allow you to manually do so?  I found the ebook version was constrained in what I wanted to do a few times.

Check the official Vellum thread. What you describe sounds like deprecation of what's possible the further you go back in the kindle line. Having said that, the Kindle Previewer on Amazon's end is a bit funky. I've found the Previewer for Windows and macOS to be super accurate. You'll want to install both versions to cover the span of Kindles.

Offline David J Normoyle

• View Profile
    • David J Normoyle
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2017, 02:01:08 PM »
Thinks long and hard about getting a Mac... hehe

Just did some searching on ebay for cheap macs. Never used a mac before and don't particularly want to. Except for this. Decisions, decisions...

David J. Normoyle | website | facebook

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
  • Storyteller and Cat Minion
    • View Profile
    • Ineti Press
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2017, 02:05:55 PM »
Yes to drop caps and ornamental scene breaks. The chapter headings on offer so far are fairly restricted. But I only have the beta version, so that may change.
I don't know if you can include illustrations.

Appreciate the response, Rickie! Thank you.

Offline Susannah Nix

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2017, 02:21:23 PM »
After fighting with Word and reading horror stories about trying to get files through CreateSpace's system, I was JUST about to give up hope on Vellum for print coming out in time to save me, and pay my cover designer to format my print interior for me, too. I am SO relieved I won't have go to that expense now! Even though I just purchased a 10-ebook license a few months ago and have only used one book so far, I'm happy to pay for the new version. It'll have paid for itself in saved formatting costs by the second book, plus I can make sure the whole series matches.

Offline Germanikus

• View Profile
    • raphaelmoreau.com
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2017, 02:26:40 PM »
I am really happy to see this. My first thought was: I will buy this. Than I started to think: Which languages will Vellum Press support? I would need german hyphenations (or syllabification - not sure which is the right word :-) ). Anything known about support for other languages?

Germanikus | blog

Offline Cassie Leigh

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2017, 02:32:01 PM »
What you describe sounds like deprecation of what's possible the further you go back in the kindle line.

Good to know.  Thanks.  I saw the issue when I read the books on a few years old Samsung Galaxy Tab and also when I read it on my laptop with some version of Adobe Reader.  It looked fine in the Kindle Previewer.

Just did some searching on ebay for cheap macs. Never used a mac before and don't particularly want to. Except for this. Decisions, decisions...

I was able to get one for about $250 on newegg.com.  It's too small to be my full-time laptop but since I only bought it to use with Vellum, it works great.

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.
Blog

Offline Alan Petersen

• San Francisco, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2017, 02:44:49 PM »
People just purchasing have to spend $249.

You get to spend $99 for a program to format print books from the same files you use for your ebooks! I am blown away by how cheap this upgrade is.
I would have paid the full $249 again just to add this functionality!

Sure, you could have waited until now to buy, then you would be coming out $50 ahead. But if you are already a Vellum user, it means you have had the use of Vellum for your ebooks for all this time. I know I've gotten more than $50 worth out of it!

I could see being a little upset if you JUST bought Vellum within the last month and thought you had to spend extra. But for anyone who has purchased after April 1st, they will let you upgrade for only $50.

Agreed. And kudos to the Brads for not switching to the monthly/yearly subscription model. So many software publishers are moving to this and it drives me nutty.

Offline JRTomlin

• View Profile
    • J. R. Tomlin on Writing and More
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2017, 02:48:46 PM »
Someone in my family had an old Mac laptop he no longer used, so he updated the OS and I use it for Vellum. Don't touch it otherwise. ;)

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin | J. R. Tomlin | Writing and More

Online Rickie Blair

• Southern Ontario
    • View Profile
    • Rickie Blair
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2017, 02:51:39 PM »
Does anyone know how it handles widows/orphans or paragraphs that end with very short words?  Does it adjust those or allow you to manually do so?  I found the ebook version was constrained in what I wanted to do a few times.

I have a real aversion to widows/orphans. I used to spend hours in InDesign kerning the text to take them out. Vellum Print automatically adjusts the layout to avoid widows by moving a line from the previous page. Then it balances the spread so that those two pages end at the same position.

I was very dubious about this feature until I saw it in action. Occasionally, it's not possible depending on your text, but most of the time... it just works.

Vellum also adjusts for what they called "runts". It also adjusts your layout so that the last page of a chapter won't end in fewer than five lines.

Agreed. And kudos to the Brads for not switching to the monthly/yearly subscription model. So many software publishers are moving to this and it drives me nutty.

This was the main reason I gave up on InDesign--it now costs $30 a month (or $20 a month if you pay for a year in advance).
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 02:54:05 PM by Rickie Blair »

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2017, 03:02:09 PM »
As to price, on the one hand if this would produce a nice print book easily, the upgrade price would be more than worth it, but I also understand those who are unhappy that they'll end up paying more than the complete program will cost newcomers. I got the unlimited license last time it was on sale for $150. Paying the $99 for the upgrade takes all the bargain out of that. Still worth it, if....

The big question is can we download a trial version of the program and see for ourselves as to the print module's capabilities before deciding to buy the same way we could download a trial of the ebook only version.

I just started using Vellum in April so should've had the most recent version, but found that drop caps looked horrible for me on some devices and ended up stripping them out of all of my ebooks.

Cassie - It's not just on older devices that the drop caps can look ugly. If the reader doesn't use the Publisher's Font, they also revert from what you think you're putting in to something big, blocky, ugly and sometimes not fitting neatly with the regular text. For that reason, I don't use them either. The Small Caps don't render under some circumstances either, but at least when they don't, they appear as regular text. I used to achieve Small Caps that render on anything by using <big> and <small> html commands but decided that was a nicety I was willing to abandon in return for the time-saving ease.

Offline Brevoort

• Calgary
    • View Profile
    • The Disaster Tourist
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2017, 03:24:12 PM »

I'd like to add myself to the chorus clamoring to send money for V 2.0

I have never had software before that was so clear and simple in operation, so intuitive, and backed by a company that really takes customer service to heart. And that extends to the superb documentation and explainers on their website.

Now I have some questions based on an assumption if I may.

Am I correct in that once I have my epub/mobi file formatted I can just ingest that file directly into Vellum's print version section and kick out a file that will work directly in CreateSpace? Would it include the spine and backcover stuff, assuming I have the graphics for those?

Does this mean that I will not have to import my raw copy into Word, apply styles etc, and then export as PDF --that I can free myself of Word altogether?

[/size](If the new version doesn't work that way then that's okay because I will still upgrade)
[/size]
Rick Grant
Calgary

Offline mdrake

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2017, 03:30:45 PM »

As long as whatever you buy is running Sierra or El Captain, you should be fine. So pick up any old brick from a reputable retailer. I wouldn't buy from Ebay. NewEgg or MacofAll Trades are probably a better bet.

My brick is a 2009 and it chugs right along. This link is the Macbook, but I have it's almost-identical mid-2009 Pro cousin, and it runs Vellum/Scrivener just fine:

http://www.macofalltrades.com/MacBook-13-inch-2-26GHz-C2D-Late-2009-p/mb-13-226-l09u.htm

The $29 upgrade to 4GB is a must-buy. I'd hesitate to buy any additional upgrades at that price point and if it's just going to be used to run Vellum.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 03:35:00 PM by mdrake »

Offline Lori Saltis

• California
    • View Profile
    • loriwriter.com
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2017, 04:26:48 PM »
Gnashing my teeth because I purchased Vellum on March 25 2017, so I just missed out on getting the discount. Debating if I should contact them or not. So close, but no cigar. Dang.  :-X 

Fake available on Amazon
Lori Saltis | loriwriter.com

Offline Joseph J Bailey

• View Profile
    • Joseph J. Bailey - Author
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2017, 06:27:36 PM »
Woot! Woot! Great news!

I can't wait to upgrade!

Joseph J. Bailey | Website | Facebook | Goodreads

Offline Abalone

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2017, 08:15:10 PM »
You know, if I were you, I'd buy through Apple's refurbished site. That way you can add on 2-3 years of Apple Care. Plus, a refurbished unit is theoretically more sound than a general used computer or even a new one.

Offline David Thompson

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2017, 08:35:05 PM »
You know, if I were you, I'd buy through Apple's refurbished site. That way you can add on 2-3 years of Apple Care. Plus, a refurbished unit is theoretically more sound than a general used computer or even a new one.

Macs are great! No fan noise :)

Bar Girl is FREE!
David Thompson | TRUK LAGOON KS Campaign!

Offline N. D. Iverson

• Canada
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2017, 09:34:47 PM »
Rent or Vellum. Rent or Vellum. Hard choice :/

Just call me the thread killer.
N. D. Iverson | Author Website

Online RightHoJeeves

• Perth
    • View Profile
    • Lawson Copywriting
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2017, 11:25:05 PM »
How very timely!

James Lawson

Offline ADDavies

• Staffordshire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2017, 01:42:21 AM »
I have a real aversion to widows/orphans. I used to spend hours in InDesign kerning the text to take them out. Vellum Print automatically adjusts the layout to avoid widows by moving a line from the previous page. Then it balances the spread so that those two pages end at the same position.

I was very dubious about this feature until I saw it in action. Occasionally, it's not possible depending on your text, but most of the time... it just works.

This really makes me excited for Vellum. I hate widows/orphans and this is exactly what I do with the Createspace Word templates - messing with spacing until they disappear ... which then has a knock-on later in the chapter which I then have to fix. Considering I sell single-digit paperbacks each month, it's a lot of money for what is effectively 90% my ego (I like holding my book in in my hand) and about 10% "just in case my series explodes into the big time."

$99 is great for us upgrading. Feels like Christmas is coming...
Adam Park #5 : 100%

Offline ADDavies

• Staffordshire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2017, 01:44:09 AM »
Rent or Vellum. Rent or Vellum. Hard choice :/

Show your landlord how beautiful Vellum is. Maybe s/he'll understand.
Adam Park #5 : 100%

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2017, 08:41:14 AM »
I've used both PCs and Macs, but I far prefer PCs. However, using a Mac just for Vellum isn't that much of a hardship. If you can find a good used or refurbished unit at a reasonable price, it's probably worth it.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline elizabethbarone

• Watertown, CT
  • Contemporary Romance & Suspense
    • View Profile
    • Elizabeth Barone: Contemporary Romance & Suspense
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2017, 09:17:35 AM »
Yeah. I think Brad said they plan on introducing more features in the near future. I think for two dudes developing their own software, Vellum is quite exceptional at what it does, and does it right the first time. It's also bug free (in my experience).

Agreed. Vellum never ceases to amaze me. I'm very much in love.

Connect With Me: BlogFacebook | Instagram

Offline David J Normoyle

• View Profile
    • David J Normoyle
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2017, 10:44:54 AM »
Thanks for all the macbook advice everyone, still considering, but there does seem some to be some reasonable options.

David J. Normoyle | website | facebook

Offline SugarBear57

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2017, 01:17:16 PM »
Re: buying a Mac, I'm another voice saying to go through Apple's refurb store with AppleCare.
https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

Check the price for Best Buy, but right at this second, it's $399 for a completely new Mac mini and you can add AppleCare to your cart there as well.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-mac-mini-intel-core-i5-1-4ghz-4gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-white/7814097.p?skuId=7814097

If you are adamant about buying a used Mac on Newegg or Macofalltrades, here is the list of computers compatible with macOS sierra.
MacBook (Late 2009 or newer)
MacBook Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)
MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer)
Mac mini (Mid 2010 or newer)
iMac (Late 2009 or newer)
Mac Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)
https://support.apple.com/kb/sp742?locale=en_US

Vellum 2.0 requires El Capitan or Sierra as the OS, and I'd aim for Sierra if I were buying a computer that I expected to use for a few years.

Offline Abalone

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2017, 02:59:55 PM »
Y'know, unless I'm mistaken, Apple are still selling the mid-2015 Apple MBP refresh. It should be "cheaper."

Offline S.G. Seabourne

• Eugene, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2017, 06:36:19 AM »
I was just about to purchase Unlimited when the news broke, and I want to double check. If I purchase Vellum at 199.99 today, is the upgrade price 49.99 or 99.99 as of June 1st?

Want to make sure I spent my pennies wisely.  8)

Edit: That's what I get for starting the day without my coffee. I found the find print on the release.

If you need to purchase Vellum Unlimited today, or if you purchased very recently, you will have a limited-time option to exchange your purchase for Vellum Press. Details will be sent on release day to all who purchase Vellum Unlimited between April 1 and June 1, 2017.

So that's a yes to the 50 dollar upgrade, which means it's full steam ahead for me!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 06:53:29 AM by S.G. Seabourne »