Author Topic: Vellum for Print gets a release date!  (Read 2616 times)  

Online RightHoJeeves

• Perth
    • View Profile
    • Lawson Copywriting
Re: Vellum for Print gets a release date!
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2017, 11:25:05 PM »
How very timely!

James Lawson

Offline ADDavies

• Staffordshire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2017, 01:42:21 AM »
I have a real aversion to widows/orphans. I used to spend hours in InDesign kerning the text to take them out. Vellum Print automatically adjusts the layout to avoid widows by moving a line from the previous page. Then it balances the spread so that those two pages end at the same position.

I was very dubious about this feature until I saw it in action. Occasionally, it's not possible depending on your text, but most of the time... it just works.

This really makes me excited for Vellum. I hate widows/orphans and this is exactly what I do with the Createspace Word templates - messing with spacing until they disappear ... which then has a knock-on later in the chapter which I then have to fix. Considering I sell single-digit paperbacks each month, it's a lot of money for what is effectively 90% my ego (I like holding my book in in my hand) and about 10% "just in case my series explodes into the big time."

$99 is great for us upgrading. Feels like Christmas is coming...
Adam Park #5 : 100%

Offline ADDavies

• Staffordshire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2017, 01:44:09 AM »
Rent or Vellum. Rent or Vellum. Hard choice :/

Show your landlord how beautiful Vellum is. Maybe s/he'll understand.
Adam Park #5 : 100%

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2017, 08:41:14 AM »
Just did some searching on ebay for cheap macs. Never used a mac before and don't particularly want to. Except for this. Decisions, decisions...
I've used both PCs and Macs, but I far prefer PCs. However, using a Mac just for Vellum isn't that much of a hardship. If you can find a good used or refurbished unit at a reasonable price, it's probably worth it.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline elizabethbarone

• Watertown, CT
  • Contemporary Romance & Suspense
    • View Profile
    • Elizabeth Barone: Contemporary Romance & Suspense
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2017, 09:17:35 AM »
Yeah. I think Brad said they plan on introducing more features in the near future. I think for two dudes developing their own software, Vellum is quite exceptional at what it does, and does it right the first time. It's also bug free (in my experience).

Agreed. Vellum never ceases to amaze me. I'm very much in love.

Connect With Me: BlogFacebook | Instagram

Offline David J Normoyle

• View Profile
    • David J Normoyle
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2017, 10:44:54 AM »
Thanks for all the macbook advice everyone, still considering, but there does seem some to be some reasonable options.

David J. Normoyle | website | facebook

Offline SugarBear57

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2017, 01:17:16 PM »
Re: buying a Mac, I'm another voice saying to go through Apple's refurb store with AppleCare.
https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

Check the price for Best Buy, but right at this second, it's $399 for a completely new Mac mini and you can add AppleCare to your cart there as well.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-mac-mini-intel-core-i5-1-4ghz-4gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-white/7814097.p?skuId=7814097

If you are adamant about buying a used Mac on Newegg or Macofalltrades, here is the list of computers compatible with macOS sierra.
MacBook (Late 2009 or newer)
MacBook Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)
MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer)
Mac mini (Mid 2010 or newer)
iMac (Late 2009 or newer)
Mac Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)
https://support.apple.com/kb/sp742?locale=en_US

Vellum 2.0 requires El Capitan or Sierra as the OS, and I'd aim for Sierra if I were buying a computer that I expected to use for a few years.

Offline Abalone

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2017, 02:59:55 PM »
Y'know, unless I'm mistaken, Apple are still selling the mid-2015 Apple MBP refresh. It should be "cheaper."

Offline S.G. Seabourne

• Eugene, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2017, 06:36:19 AM »
I was just about to purchase Unlimited when the news broke, and I want to double check. If I purchase Vellum at 199.99 today, is the upgrade price 49.99 or 99.99 as of June 1st?

Want to make sure I spent my pennies wisely.  8)

Edit: That's what I get for starting the day without my coffee. I found the find print on the release.

If you need to purchase Vellum Unlimited today, or if you purchased very recently, you will have a limited-time option to exchange your purchase for Vellum Press. Details will be sent on release day to all who purchase Vellum Unlimited between April 1 and June 1, 2017.

So that's a yes to the 50 dollar upgrade, which means it's full steam ahead for me!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 06:53:29 AM by S.G. Seabourne »