KB Featured Book
No Direction Home
by Elizabeth Burns

$0.00
Kindle Edition published 2017-05-20
Bestseller ranking: 81281

Product Description
Hunter Grayson flits from job to job, relationship to relationship, continent to continent until thetragic death of her parents brings her back to her childhood home.While trying to figure out how to move forward, she meets wild, fun Natalya Haven, who quickly becomes the sister she never had. But when Natalya moves in, their friendship unravels.
A second tragedy sends Hunter to a small town in New Mexico, a town out of her own past. For Hunter, that's more than a coincidence, that's fate. Natalya's family will fill the void in her life. Natalya's parents will become her parents. She and Natalya's brother will fall in love. But nothing is ever that simple....

Author Topic: First Person or Third?  (Read 701 times)  

Offline Joseph Malik

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
    • Writing and Fighting with Joseph Malik
Re: First Person or Third?
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2017, 02:42:09 PM »
Framed narrative...okay I'm still a newbie, but would an example be the movie The Princess Bride?  I haven't (gasp!) read the book.

Frankenstein. Stories inside stories. The Princess Bride is written in Omniscient Third with an opaque, character-driven narrator.
Dragon's Trail: 100%

The New Magic - Words: 100%

The New Magic - Immersion, Conflict, Motivations, Subplots, Chemistry, Distinct Character Voices, Pacing, Dialogue, Phrasing, Character Development, Atmosphere, Allegory, Polemic, Imagery, Research, Suspension of Disbelief: 30%
Dragon's Trail available on September 30th, 2016.
Writing and Fighting with Joseph Malik | Website | Blog| Mailing List

Offline March

• View Profile
    • March McCarron Website
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2017, 02:51:51 PM »
Have you browsed through best seller lists to see if one is more common than the other within your sub-genre? If you feel equally game for either, you may want to defer to what your target readers prefer. I would imagine that by and large third is the preference, but YA might swing more towards first.

March McCarron | website | facebook | twitter | instagram

Online GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2017, 03:32:46 PM »
Frankenstein. Stories inside stories. The Princess Bride is written in Omniscient Third with an opaque, character-driven narrator.

I do that in Unfiction. Portions of the book are stories written by a character in the book.

Offline Abalone

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2017, 03:37:54 PM »
Depends on the storyline and the market.

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2017, 05:34:12 PM »
Is First of Third an adjunct to Unimatrix Zero?  ;)

I think it's related to Seven of Nine.  Or something.   :P

To answer the OP's question, it depends on the nature of the story.  Can you effectively tell the whole story from a single character's point of view?  If not, then third-person is probably what you want.

For the record, I like both equally, and I write in both, so I have no bias in either direction.

The thing to keep in mind is "available information."  Think about how much information is going to be available to the main character.  Also take into account the tone of the story (first-person tends to be more informal, for example) and which method is easier for you to write in.  But the "available information" thing is the first criterion you should consider, because that's what determines whether the story will hold up in first-person or fall apart.

Anyway, just my two cents.  Good luck.  :)

Stories inside stories.

Rothfuss does that in The Name of the Wind.  He starts in third-person as a framing device, then switches to first-person for the bulk of the novel.  It's a time-tested and effective method, and one I'd like to try some day.
Jeff Tanyard | Author Website

Offline Kal241

• Things are never what they seem
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2017, 05:42:46 PM »
I mix the two; third-person for the main content, first-person in italics for the character's thoughts.
An artist and a writer combined into one being. When you work with Kal, you get a 2-4-1 deal!

Check out my artistry at: http://kal241.deviantart.com/
Writing samples of mine will be made available upon request.

Offline Joseph Malik

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
    • Writing and Fighting with Joseph Malik
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2017, 06:44:16 PM »
Have you browsed through best seller lists to see if one is more common than the other within your sub-genre? If you feel equally game for either, you may want to defer to what your target readers prefer. I would imagine that by and large third is the preference, but YA might swing more towards first.

Respectfully, I beg to differ, here, but it's not a "one or the other" proposition. There are many different types of each POV. The trick is to figure out what voice inside your chosen POV tells the story best. The problem the OP is having is not a POV problem. It's a voice problem. To solve it, he has to delineate the voice within the point of view.

There are four common forms of first-person POV: subjective narration, interior monologue, memoir, and objective autobiography. There are two common forms of third-person POV: limited and omniscient, and other, lesser-known forms, including framed narrative and dramatic objective. They each tell the story differently. Each also has its own rules, which you can break or bend to different extents. And it's not a matter so much of sticking to the rules of each, but of knowing what they sound like and what they convey, so that they allow you to develop a framework that tells the story the way you want to tell it.

Rothfuss does that in The Name of the Wind.  He starts in third-person as a framing device, then switches to first-person for the bulk of the novel.  It's a time-tested and effective method, and one I'd like to try some day.

I totally spaced this. Yes, he does. It's a very cool device.

I do that in Unfiction. Portions of the book are stories written by a character in the book.
You just made a sale, my friend.
Dragon's Trail: 100%

The New Magic - Words: 100%

The New Magic - Immersion, Conflict, Motivations, Subplots, Chemistry, Distinct Character Voices, Pacing, Dialogue, Phrasing, Character Development, Atmosphere, Allegory, Polemic, Imagery, Research, Suspension of Disbelief: 30%
Dragon's Trail available on September 30th, 2016.
Writing and Fighting with Joseph Malik | Website | Blog| Mailing List

Online Douglas Milewski

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2017, 06:53:10 PM »
Man: I want to know about first person.
Woman: The woman standing before you?
Man: Yeah. I want to know.
Woman: She's writing third.
Man: No, I want first.
Woman: Third's all that she can do.
Man: I thought that you said that you were first?
Woman: She never said that she was first.
Man: But you just did.

There's a joke there somewhere if someone can figure out the beat.

Disclaimer: I sell horribly. Set your filters accordingly.

Offline Jack Krenneck

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2017, 06:55:06 PM »

This. Exactly this.

Online GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2017, 07:13:00 PM »

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2017, 07:26:18 PM »
You just made a sale, my friend.

:)  You're a good guy, Joe.

Man: I want to know about first person.
Woman: The woman standing before you?
Man: Yeah. I want to know.
Woman: She's writing third.
Man: No, I want first.
Woman: Third's all that she can do.
Man: I thought that you said that you were first?
Woman: She never said that she was first.
Man: But you just did.

There's a joke there somewhere if someone can figure out the beat.

Continued...

Woman: Nope.  And now you're second.
Man: And so are you.
Woman: But you're still not first.
Man: :(
Jeff Tanyard | Author Website