Author Topic: Kindle 3 problems  (Read 349 times)  

Offline ificandream

• View Profile
Kindle 3 problems
« on: May 19, 2017, 08:14:59 AM »
I recently bought a Kindle 3 (with a keyboard) from a thrift store for $10. It would be my third Kindle. I charged it, reset it to the factory settings and tried to update it with no luck. I called Amazon and the first person I talked to was a little helpful, but when she moved me up the ladder, the second person was less helpful and sounded suspicious that might have I stole it and suggested the Kindle was blacklisted. Can Amazon intentionally blacklist a Kindle and does that make it worthless? Can they reverse this? I suspect i'm really out of luck as far as this one goes. 

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle 3 problems
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 09:36:03 AM »
Amazon CAN blacklist a kindle if it has been reported stolen by the original purchaser. Basically, that makes it impossible for anyone else to register it. I believe they CAN reverse it . . . but I'm fairly certain they'd only do it if the original purchaser contacted them and said "never mind".

If they have it listed as having been stolen, I don't know that you'll be able to prove that you bought it in good faith from the charity shop.

We've had threads here before about people buying them from Craig's List/Ebay -- the best advice is to make sure it can be registered to your account before you turn over any money. Seems it shouldn't be a problem at a thrift shop, but, who knows?

FWIW, when I've donated old electronics I've always reset them to factory conditions and made completely sure that my information is thoroughly scrubbed.

As to if it's "worthless". Depends on your point of view, I guess. You can still side load .mobi files that don't have DRM even if you can't register it on Amazon and download books already on your account.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline ificandream

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 01:52:00 PM »
I can put books on it from my account? Not sure I'd want to or even need to with two other Kindles. But I may call them and see if they'll contact the owner. I did not keep track of the previous owner's email address when I scrubbed it. My mistake.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 02:04:24 PM »
I can put books on it from my account? Not sure I'd want to or even need to with two other Kindles. But I may call them and see if they'll contact the owner. I did not keep track of the previous owner's email address when I scrubbed it. My mistake.

Well, no. If you can't register it to Amazon, you can't send books from your Amazon account to the device.

BUT . . . . if you have .mobi files from elsewhere that don't have DRM you can side load them by connecting it to a computer via USB.

Honestly, if it had the previous owners information on it when you bought it, that's a bit of a red flag for me. Why wouldn't that person have reset it to factory conditions when they donated it? Given that, it is possible that it was lost and the owner reported it lost and the finder just donated it because they didn't have a use for it. :(
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 02:06:44 PM by Ann in Arlington »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR