Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?

Author Topic: BookBub Promo Issues... HELP!  (Read 545 times)  

Offline C.A. Huggins

• View Profile
    • CAHuggins.com
BookBub Promo Issues... HELP!
« on: May 19, 2017, 10:40:16 AM »
I have my 1st BookBub running next Friday. But since I was so excited/anxious/scared to death to Confirm the Bookbub I missed some details so I have a few issues. Maybe some of you have had the same issues, and I'm hoping to get some advice on how to fix.

1.) I was so used to submitting my book and getting rejected that I didn't realize I told them the book was on Google, Apple, Kobo, and Nook. It's now exclusive and in KU. What do I do? Do I email Bookbub and tell them about my gaffe? Would that reflect poorly on all future Bookbubs? Do I throw the book back on the other outlets for the promo dates?

2.) I didn't realize the Book had to be on sale through the "Expiration Date" of 3 days after the promo runs. So I did my stacking way to early. I would have to start on 05/23 instead, I started my stacking on 05/22. Now could I/should I try to move my 5/22 promos to 5/23 (All the promos for 5/22 are either free or inexpensive)? OR Try to change my book price after my Countdown ends on 05/28 to $0.99 for the day. Is that even possible?

3.) Also for the Amazon sites that don't use Kindle Countdown, when should I drop the price on those sites?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you ahead of time.

C.A. Huggins | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline RBN

• View Profile
Re: BookBub Promo Issues... HELP!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 10:53:08 AM »
I can only speak for #2: You're not allowed to change the price for 14 days after a Countdown reverts to normal price. The option will be grayed out. No way around it.

If the Countdown is complicating the situation, the easiest thing to do might be to cancel it, do a manual price drop for the needed period, and resign yourself to the 35% royalty.

Offline Stacy Claflin

• Seattle-ish
  • Run like you have to get to the library
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Claflin, Author
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 10:59:33 AM »
If your book is in KU, you can't remove it until the 90 days are over. There's an author who, just this week, was kicked out of KU for a full year because he accidentally had a book on Google Play when he was in KU.

If your book isn't on sale on a retailer that you told BB it would be, they won't include it in the mailer. I had an instance where Kobo didn't lower my price even though I'd given more than a week's notice for the price drop, and BB emailed me letting me know they wouldn't feature it (the Kobo listing only). I apologized profusely, and they were really nice about it, saying a lot of other authors were having the same problem with Kobo not lowering their prices either.

Given that your book won't be on ANY non-Amazon platform, I can't imagine they would be too happy about that. I'd contact them so they have a heads up as early as possible.

USA Today bestselling author of The Gone Trilogy & Dean's List: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Free Books

Offline C.A. Huggins

• View Profile
    • CAHuggins.com
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 11:04:31 AM »
If your book is in KU, you can't remove it until the 90 days are over. There's an author who, just this week, was kicked out of KU for a full year because he accidentally had a book on Google Play when he was in KU.

If your book isn't on sale on a retailer that you told BB it would be, they won't include it in the mailer. I had an instance where Kobo didn't lower my price even though I'd given more than a week's notice for the price drop, and BB emailed me letting me know they wouldn't feature it (the Kobo listing only). I apologized profusely, and they were really nice about it, saying a lot of other authors were having the same problem with Kobo not lowering their prices either.

Given that your book won't be on ANY non-Amazon platform, I can't imagine they would be too happy about that. I'd contact them so they have a heads up as early as possible.

Yikes! This is what I'm fearful of. Okay. Thank you. I guess I have to bite the bullet and let them know.

Online anniejocoby

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 11:20:15 AM »
I ALMOST had the same issue as you the first time they ran my book Broken. I applied for the BookBub, said I was wide, figured I would get a quick rejection, and put my book into KU. I figured that BookBub wasn't going to take it anyhow, so I hedged my bets.

Imagine my surprise when they took it! Fortunately, I was in the 72 hour window to take that book out, so I did, with two hours to spare, LOL. Thank god, because that BookBub was tremendous.

I will say this - I read another poster who was talking about how she got a BookBub for a wide book and she wrote to them and asked them if they minded if she put the book into KU for her BookBub. IIRC, BookBub wrote back and said that, basically, it was her choice. So, that tells me that they might be more flexible than you might think. I would go ahead and write them and tell them what happened. They might surprise you and tell you that they're fine that you're currently in KU. At any rate, that's the only thing you can do.

Remember to breathe and congrats! Good luck!

Two dollars! Two dollars! I want my two dollars!!!
Annie Jocoby | ]Badge[/url] | Annie Jocoby website

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 04:14:51 PM »
#3 hasn't been covered yet, but assuming they're good with KU and let you drop your expiry date by a day, you're still up against the issue that you cannot run a Countdown at 70% in the US/UK AND put the book on a 99 sale in other countries. To price at 99 in CA/IN/AU, you HAVE to choose the 35% option across the board.

As the saying goes, the devil's in those details. Every one of them.

Offline C.A. Huggins

• View Profile
    • CAHuggins.com
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 04:42:30 PM »
#3 hasn't been covered yet, but assuming they're good with KU and let you drop your expiry date by a day, you're still up against the issue that you cannot run a Countdown at 70% in the US/UK AND put the book on a 99 sale in other countries. To price at 99 in CA/IN/AU, you HAVE to choose the 35% option across the board.

As the saying goes, the devil's in those details. Every one of them.

Geeeez! This sucks big time.

I do I work around this? The BookBub is on Friday through Tuesday.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 04:55:05 PM by C.A. Huggins »

Offline Abderian

• View Profile
    • JJ Green
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 05:59:09 AM »
Geeeez! This sucks big time.

I do I work around this? The BookBub is on Friday through Tuesday.

You could cancel the Countdown and manually lower the price to 99 cents for as long as you need it to be that price. You will miss out on the 70% royalty but your book will be 99 cents in Amazon stores that Countdowns don't cover. It often pays to leave the price at 99 cents for a few weeks after the Bookbub.

Offline C.A. Huggins

• View Profile
    • CAHuggins.com
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 06:02:03 AM »
You could cancel the Countdown and manually lower the price to 99 cents for as long as you need it to be that price. You will miss out on the 70% royalty but your book will be 99 cents in Amazon stores that Countdowns don't cover. It often pays to leave the price at 99 cents for a few weeks after the Bookbub.

But I would have to sell twice as many books and hope the sales in Canada, India, and Australia make up for that difference.

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 07:03:59 AM »
But I would have to sell twice as many books and hope the sales in Canada, India, and Australia make up for that difference.

Yeah, that sucks. But, there seems to be little you can do. Chalk it up to experience and move on.
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.