Author Topic: Book Report question  (Read 323 times)  

Offline Shawn Inmon

• View Profile
Book Report question
« on: May 19, 2017, 11:07:01 AM »
I have been a Book Report user from day one, as far as I can remember. I love it and use it to track my sales both daily and long-term.

However, it's virtually never right on what it reports on my "Today" tab. For instance, today it says I have four sales of $4.99 and one of $3.99 It also shows that I have 3,996 pages read so far. I don't fool around much with the pages read number - I just set it for .005 and leave it. Yes, I know it usually comes in lower than that. So, those 4 $4.99 sales should equal 13.97. The one $3.99 sale should equal 2.79, for a total of $16.76. the 3,996 page reads should equal $19.98. Total for the day so far = 36.74.

Total shown on my "Today" tab? $28.91.

In case you think it just needs to "catch up" from recent sales - I always check it again just before I go to bed around midnight, PDT, and it still reflects numbers like these. When I wake up in the morning, I check again and the numbers from the night/day before are unchanged.

It doesn't always underestimate like this - it also overestimates, I guess making up for an underestimation the day before?

For me, though, the bottom line is, the "Today" figure is wrong about 90+% of the time, which makes me spend much more time looking through the figures than I would like, trying to figure out where I really am. Not spending time looking at figures is why I spend ten bucks a month on Book Report.

A couple of questions... is everyone's Book Report wrong like this? Is there a setting I've managed to goof up somehow so that I don't get accurate numbers?

I am on the west coast of the U.S., by the way, as I know Australia has some other type of difficulty.

Curious how everyone else's Book Report works. Is it accurate on a daily basis?

Shawn Inmon | Website | Facebook

Online anniejocoby

• View Profile
Re: Book Report question
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 11:48:27 AM »
Yup. Mine consistently overestimates and underestimates my sales figures. Some days, it has zero sales for some books, yet I made money on them. Other times, it will say that I sold 30 copies of a certain book for $2.99, let's say, and the sales figures is like $17, yet the next day, that same book, in the morning, might show that I sold 8 copies of it and I would earn like $37. And usually, right at 12:01, I'll get sales figures, sometimes up to $20 right at 12:01.

So, no, you're not the only one!
  |
Two dollars! Two dollars! I want my two dollars!!!
Annie Jocoby | Annie Jocoby website

Offline Shawn Inmon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 11:51:36 AM »
Yup. Mine consistently overestimates and underestimates my sales figures. Some days, it has zero sales for some books, yet I made money on them. Other times, it will say that I sold 30 copies of a certain book for $2.99, let's say, and the sales figures is like $17, yet the next day, that same book, in the morning, might show that I sold 8 copies of it and I would earn like $37. And usually, right at 12:01, I'll get sales figures, sometimes up to $20 right at 12:01.

So, no, you're not the only one!

At first, I thought maybe it was just a bug because it was a new program, but it's been out quite a while now. I still like it and will continue to use it, but I wonder why it isn't consistently more accurate.

I love getting that first little burst of love at 12:01, too. It usually starts me off with a couple of thousand page reads, which makes me feel like I've accomplished something for the next day before I even go to bed. :)

Offline Beth_Hammond

• View Profile
    • bethhammondbooks.com
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 11:54:43 AM »
Mine has been a day behind for more than a week.

I'm still figuring this out.
Beth Hammond | bethhammondbooks.com | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline dianapersaud

• View Profile
    • Diana Persaud
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 11:56:36 AM »
It probably doesn't show the dollar amount until the credit card processes it. So you could have 5 sales, 3 of which have been processed and two haven't been processed yet.

Diana Persaud | My Website

Offline WRPursche

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 02:21:38 PM »
^ This. Plus returns, if you have any.
Here's a good way to check. Download last month's spreadsheet from amazon, or look at the actual amount paid to you for a given month. Check the book report data for that month. It is very accurate.

I have seen the 'yesterday' numbers update during the day, probably in some cases matching a credit card clearing to a prior day sales. But for the most part, they catch up the next day -- or in some cases, the day after. 

You can see the 'payment' updating during the day too. For example, you might have 5 sales and you should have a dollar amount 'owed' to you of $10. But BR only shows $8. An hour or so later, you still have 5 sales, but the amount updates to $10.

So bottom line is that even if you check at night, sales from that day might not be credited; the credit can show up the next day (or even the day after).

Offline D A Bale

• United States
  • author, reviewer, editor, cover designer
    • View Profile
    • DA Bale Publishing
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 02:31:17 PM »
It probably doesn't show the dollar amount until the credit card processes it. So you could have 5 sales, 3 of which have been processed and two haven't been processed yet.

This is what I was thinking too.

Online Abalone

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 02:53:16 PM »
The previous assessments are correct. It's the nature of the beast.

Offline Shawn Inmon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 03:00:49 PM »
Good enough. Nothing the software can do about that.

Cheers!

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 10:02:02 AM »
Jus thought I'd pop in and confirm what you guys have figured out: Sales and royalties being out of sync is an oddity of KDP's data, not a bug in Book Report. Sales generally show up first, followed within a few hours by their royalties. This can occasionally happen over the span of two days -- a sale shows up one day, and the royalties for that sale show up the next day. You can use the Generate Report button on the KDP Sales Dashboard to confirm that Book Report is reporting the same numbers as KDP, and that they're both a little strange.

One thing to note is that the program doesn't do any math like: Book earnings = (Price) X (Royalty rate) X (Sales count). That would definitely lead to the sort of error you thought you were seeing. Instead, we just get the sales count and the earnings numbers direct from Amazon, and display them to you with all their quirks intact.

Hope that explains things! If you're seeing anything wrong with the data that isn't explained by the above, please shoot me an email.
I run Book Report. If you haven't tried it, please give it a shot. I think you'll find it quite useful!

Click here to learn more!

Offline Yamila Abraham

• Writer of romances, some gay some straight
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 10:10:52 PM »
I had thought it was because of the delivery cost of the larger files on my Book Report.  Guess not.