Author Topic: First Novel Finally Written and Greetings Kboard!  (Read 330 times)  

Offline JDMatheny

• View Profile
    • Website
First Novel Finally Written and Greetings Kboard!
« on: May 19, 2017, 02:34:45 PM »
I'm quite new here, having only discovered this community within the last two or three weeks, but I wanted to say hello and how happy I am to have discovered this place!  Such an active community full of helpful, respectful people.  I look forward to tinkering around.

I've just recently finished the first draft of my first novel.  Something I've always wanted to do but could never bring myself to make an honest attempt.  I tried once and completed about three pages.  The problems, as far as I can tell, were that I lacked faith in myself and that I have always been a big King fan.  Hard to imagine ever being able to come anywhere near creating that kind of work, so I would give up before trying.

Currently I'm in Fiji on a housesit, and one evening, while standing outside enjoying a beautiful view, I said hell with it, I'm going to try!  First I sat and tried to think up a great story, then went on to characters, surroundings, etc.  Then I began to feel overwhelmed again and stopped.  The next day I decide I would just think up a good first line and go from there.  If only I could come up with something close to "The man in black fled across the desert and the Gunslinger followed" :)  Can't say I got close to that, but it got me started!

So I began with a first sentence and let the story happen as I went.  About 20,000 words down I decide I'd better figure out where it was going, so I came up with an ending, which changed as well, but that didn't matter.  I hand-wrote everything so now I'm stuck with the tedious task of typing it all up.  I also switched from 1st to 3rd halfway through, so that was a pain as well.  At this point I figure I ended up with around 65,000 words, which I would be satisfied with.  I also started a sequel. 

It's been great fun and something I'm really happy I finally tried!  I'm 42, wish I would have started sooner.  But if anybody else is reading that has been sitting on the fence, hopefully you just put pen to paper and go!

Looking forward to getting through my first revision and seeing where it goes from there.

Vanaka!

Jason

J.D.Matheny | Facebook |Website

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
  • Storyteller and Cat Minion
    • View Profile
    • Ineti Press
Re: First Novel Finally Written and Greetings Kboard!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 02:37:56 PM »
Congrats and welcome, Jason!

Offline MonkishScribe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 02:58:04 PM »
Congrats. I've been at this a while, but the feeling of finishing a novel never gets old.

Online Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 06:31:56 PM »
Congratulations, Jason, and welcome to the site.  :)
Jeff Tanyard | Author Website

Online Benjamin Douglas

• Iowa
  • Reading :) Riting :) Rithmatic :(
    • View Profile
    • Benjamin Douglas Books
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 06:37:33 PM »
Congratulations, sir! FIJI! You lead a charmed life.  8)

Welcome aboard!

"Your bitter recollections have time to change themselves into sweet remembrances." -Dumas
Benjamin Douglas | newsletter | blog | twitter | the book speaks podcast

Online D A Bale

• United States
  • author, editor, cover designer
    • View Profile
    • DA Bale Publishing
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 06:54:24 PM »
There's no better feeling for a writer than putting a book to bed.  Two thumbs up, Jason!

And it's so good to hear you've already started on the next.  So many writers give up after the first one, so you're already ahead of the game.

Again, congrats!

Online Kyra Halland

• Arizona
    • View Profile
    • Welcome To My Worlds
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 09:25:07 PM »
Congratulations! Finishing that first novel is a really big deal. Something that might help you, don't compare published books, which have probably been through a lot of revision and editing, to your own first drafts. With a first draft, don't get hung up on if it's any good, just get your ideas written down.

Tales of fantasy, heroism, and romance.
Kyra Halland | Website | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Goodreads

Online LilyBLily

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 09:30:27 PM »
Congratulations. It's wonderful to realize you can write a novel if you make the effort. From here, all roads are possible. 

Offline coryvannote

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
    • Design by Cory
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 10:09:59 PM »
Congrats! That's awesome! Can't wait to hear more  :)
Cory Van Note
Designer: Books, websites, and more

Offline JDMatheny

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 12:20:12 PM »
There's no better feeling for a writer than putting a book to bed.  Two thumbs up, Jason!

And it's so good to hear you've already started on the next.  So many writers give up after the first one, so you're already ahead of the game.

Again, congrats!

Thanks!  Initially I stopped writing once the first book was finished just to focus on typing it out, but I had so much fun writing the first one I decide I can do both, so I started the second.  This new one I'm typing out instead of handwriting to save the extra work later, but I can't say I enjoy it much.  Hope I get more used to it!  Handwriting seemed so fast and fluid, whereas typing just doesn't feel write, even though I'm a pretty decent typist.

Offline JDMatheny

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 12:21:32 PM »
Congratulations! Finishing that first novel is a really big deal. Something that might help you, don't compare published books, which have probably been through a lot of revision and editing, to your own first drafts. With a first draft, don't get hung up on if it's any good, just get your ideas written down.

That's great advice for an aspiring writer and getting past that was one of the things that helped finally get me started!

Online D A Bale

• United States
  • author, editor, cover designer
    • View Profile
    • DA Bale Publishing
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 02:14:17 PM »
Thanks!  Initially I stopped writing once the first book was finished just to focus on typing it out, but I had so much fun writing the first one I decide I can do both, so I started the second.  This new one I'm typing out instead of handwriting to save the extra work later, but I can't say I enjoy it much.  Hope I get more used to it!  Handwriting seemed so fast and fluid, whereas typing just doesn't feel write, even though I'm a pretty decent typist.

Everyone has a different method, so if writing your first draft longhand works best for you, GO FOR IT!  As you type it into the computer, you can call that draft two because maybe you'll think of a better way to word it that way.  One thing in this crazy writer's world is that each one of us takes in all of the advice other provide but we still have to figure out what works best for ourselves.  Now get out that notepad and keep writing.  :-*