Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?

Author Topic: Another go  (Read 1979 times)  

Lauriejoyeltahs

Another go
« on: May 29, 2017, 09:09:39 AM »
Yet another go at it. Just can't seem to find fonts/backgrounds/models that can be used for this application that I both like and fit the story...
I have to say thank you yet again for all the help from everyone!

Online BeMyBookBaby

• View Profile
Re: Another go
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 09:37:46 AM »
It looks great but I think there needs to be more contrast between the colour of the typography and the image? The title blends in too much for me. especially the word 'Lost'. Even if there was some sort of thin darker border/outline around the letters individually, they'd stand out more, especially for the thumbnail.

Offline Annalise Clark

• View Profile
    • Annalise on Amazon
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 10:15:38 AM »
It looks great but I think there needs to be more contrast between the colour of the typography and the image? The title blends in too much for me. especially the word 'Lost'. Even if there was some sort of thin darker border/outline around the letters individually, they'd stand out more, especially for the thumbnail.

I agree. It looks great but on a smaller, ebook version that someone may be reading on their device, it's going to be difficult to make out that font.

Online RRodriguez

• View Profile
    • The Pixie Chronicles
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 10:16:23 AM »
I think this one is looking better :) I would switch the order of your name and The Panguardia Chronicles, and also make it so the Chronicles all fit on one line. I also think the front objects need to be blended a little better, right now its a bit choppy. especially around her hair.
thepixiechronicles.com

Out_there

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 11:38:49 AM »

You pick up quick. But more contrast between the typography and the picture. Great job!

Online Kyra Halland

• Arizona
    • View Profile
    • Welcome To My Worlds
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 12:17:15 PM »
ooh, looking good! I would go with a brighter gold for the font.

Tales of fantasy, heroism, and romance.
Kyra Halland | Website | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Goodreads

Offline Greg Banks

• GA
  • Also known by the pseudonym "Drew Griot".
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Griot
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 02:34:27 PM »
Why are you using that dark font color that basically matches the color of the image? The number one purpose of putting text on the cover is so that it can be read. Having it coordinate with the cover is fine, but you don't want it to blend in.

I also suggest you need to adjust your text placement. "The Panguardia Chronicles" looks like it's part of the author's name, or the author's name is part of the title/subtitle. Your design dictates which parts take precedent, and right now the author name and "The Panguardia Chronicles" are distracting from each other. One needs to be smaller than the other, and they need to have more separation from each other.
Free content:
     Paid content:
My Websites:
WebsiteBlog | TwitterFacebook | Art Portfolio

Online she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 04:33:20 PM »
Definitely needs to have something done with the font color. I'm not sure how GIMP does it, but in Photoshop you can put a stroke around the layer which can help it stand out.

Take the series name, make it smaller and on one line. If the branding is consistent, the reader only needs the title and your name.
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Online ImaWriter

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 04:33:34 PM »
You're doing a good job, but...  :)

You really need to come up with another colour for the typography. Except for her hair, you have sea of bland colour merging together. Pick something that pops for the font. My favourite thing to do is use a colour wheel and pick a nice contrasting colour.

Try this. That's a direct link to a colour palette that I pulled using one of the background colours (#EBD0B5) in your image. If you click on the 5 black circles in the upper left, it will give you different colours in varying intensities. You can also pick any other common colour from your cover and use that as a base. It's fun to play around with too!

Online anniejocoby

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 04:34:35 PM »
Why are you using that dark font color that basically matches the color of the image? The number one purpose of putting text on the cover is so that it can be read. Having it coordinate with the cover is fine, but you don't want it to blend in.

I also suggest you need to adjust your text placement. "The Panguardia Chronicles" looks like it's part of the author's name, or the author's name is part of the title/subtitle. Your design dictates which parts take precedent, and right now the author name and "The Panguardia Chronicles" are distracting from each other. One needs to be smaller than the other, and they need to have more separation from each other.

This. I was thinking the same thing about the words "The Panguardia Chronicles" and the author name. It's in the same font and it looks odd to me. I personally wouldn't' put "The Panguardia Chronicles" in such large type-set and I probably would put it at the very top or the very bottom.  Or put it in small type right under the title. And make the other typeset a different color to stand out. I like the pic, though.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 04:38:45 PM by anniejocoby »

Two dollars! Two dollars! I want my two dollars!!!
Annie Jocoby | ]Badge[/url] | Annie Jocoby website

Offline BillSmithBooksDotCom

• Adirondack Mountains, Northern NY (almost Canada)
  • BillSmithBooks.com, Outlaw Galaxy &Star Wars books
    • View Profile
    • www.BillSmithBooks.com
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 05:13:00 PM »
I would go with a brighter font to stand out.

You might also want to move the image up and use a color-complementary fade at the bottom of the image so you can move "The Panguardia Chronicles" to the bottom of the page, below "The Lost Symbols".  I think putting Panguardia at the top makes the image overly busy. You can't put Lost Symbols up top without shrinking the typeface.

Alternately, put "The Lost Symbols" up top by itself and the author name and Panguardia info at the bottom.
Bill Smith is the author of the Outlaw Galaxy series and several Star Wars books. Visit him at www.BillSmithBooks.com or www.OutlawGalaxy.com. Blogging at www.BillSmithBooks.blogspot.com. The Outlaw Galaxy series features free-wheeling space fantasy action-adventure...fun for readers of all ages.

Outlaw Galaxy: Hunter's Truth and Other Tales (short story collection) is now available at most retailers.
Bill Smith | Outlaw Galaxy: Hunter's Truth and Other Tales | BillSmithBooks.com | BillSmithBlog.com

Online Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 05:35:48 PM »
You're on track with this one. I definitely agree with everyone about the font.

I like to put the subtitle in a smaller, plainer font to distinguish it from the title and your name.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Offline tlbodine

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2017, 06:48:02 PM »
I've been trying to practice cover-arting, and have found it easier to experiment with other people's concepts than my own, so allow to submit a concept for you to consider. I was going to try to just change the typography on your original image but couldn't find the stock you used, so I pulled something off of Pixabay that seemed like it could work.

But perhaps this could give you some ideas.

If you'd like to use this, let me know and I'll shoot you the full-size version. Or you can toss me the background you were using and I'll try to fix up the typography on it :)

Online anniejocoby

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2017, 09:09:00 PM »
I've been trying to practice cover-arting, and have found it easier to experiment with other people's concepts than my own, so allow to submit a concept for you to consider. I was going to try to just change the typography on your original image but couldn't find the stock you used, so I pulled something off of Pixabay that seemed like it could work.

But perhaps this could give you some ideas.

If you'd like to use this, let me know and I'll shoot you the full-size version. Or you can toss me the background you were using and I'll try to fix up the typography on it :)

I like that!!!!!

Two dollars! Two dollars! I want my two dollars!!!
Annie Jocoby | ]Badge[/url] | Annie Jocoby website

Lauriejoyeltahs

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2017, 05:28:36 AM »
Oh oh oh I figured out how to outline text....

Online MissingAlaska

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2017, 06:04:55 AM »
I like that!!!!!

I have to agree with Annie.  This is a great mockup.

To the OP, your cover is a good start -- but I must admit (in the spirit of honest and constructive criticism) that it still looks homemade or "self-published".   I concur with most of the suggestions provided already in this thread, so I won't repeat them.

Best of luck! I look forward to the final launch.

Michael S. Nuckols | Webpage

Lauriejoyeltahs

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2017, 06:08:37 AM »

Yeah I get it- not there yet/ don't know what I'm doing etc. will continue in private.

Thank for the feedback

« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 06:10:39 AM by Lauriejoyeltahs »

Online plumstead

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2017, 06:31:47 AM »
That's looking pretty good now. Keep playing with the colour of the text. It's still disappearing into the background. Maybe try adding a layer between the background and the title, and applying a gradient fill with transparency. So you wind up with a band of solid colour under the title that fades up to nothing. Like in this image, the reddish colour under the author name.

I'd also suggest using a cleaner font for the series title. All those swoops get messy in the thumbnail. Are you using Cinzel Decorative? Try just the plain Cinzel. You might also try using the plain for your name and then use the Decorative version for certain letters.

The hours you're putting into this cover are really starting to show. It's looking more and more polished on each iteration.

Lauriejoyeltahs

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2017, 06:35:24 AM »
That's looking pretty good now. Keep playing with the colour of the text. It's still disappearing into the background. Maybe try adding a layer between the background and the title, and applying a gradient fill with transparency. So you wind up with a band of solid colour under the title that fades up to nothing. Like in this image, the reddish colour under the author name.

I'd also suggest using a cleaner font for the series title. All those swoops get messy in the thumbnail. Are you using Cinzel Decorative? Try just the plain Cinzel. You might also try using the plain for your name and then use the Decorative version for certain letters.

The hours you're putting into this cover are really starting to show. It's looking more and more polished on each iteration.

Will give that a go. To be honest I think I'm at a total of six and a half hours which doesn't  feel to bad since prior to those hours I haven't used any photo editing software since college- and then it was much simpler  stuff.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 06:36:57 AM by Lauriejoyeltahs »

Online MissingAlaska

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2017, 06:53:01 AM »

Yeah I get it- not there yet/ don't know what I'm doing etc. will continue in private.

Thank for the feedback

I REALLY like this latest version (honestly).  Sorry if my earlier comments were a bit sharp.

Michael S. Nuckols | Webpage

Online BeMyBookBaby

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2017, 07:06:12 AM »
Will give that a go. To be honest I think I'm at a total of six and a half hours which doesn't  feel to bad since prior to those hours I haven't used any photo editing software since college- and then it was much simpler  stuff.

I think its awesome considering you're not a pro! I know I couldn't do half of it. Otherwise I'd actually offer to help out.

Lauriejoyeltahs

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2017, 04:19:43 PM »

Another hour in. Seems clear to me the overlay works best.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 04:23:44 PM by Lauriejoyeltahs »

Out_there

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2017, 05:07:16 PM »
Great suggestions on this thread. Your last efforts are looking good.

Online Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2017, 05:11:14 PM »
Better and better. I still think you should try a plainer font for the series title.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Online plumstead

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2017, 05:18:35 PM »
Looking good!  :) The colour band at the bottom really helps the title pop. I'd suggest shifting her and the background upwards a bit. Make use of the space so more of her can be seen. I'd also suggest a cleaner font for the series title. Since it's an unusual word, you want it to be as clean and legible as possible. Watch that you don't scale your fonts to an extreme. The word "Symbols" looks really squat compared to the other words. Keep going! You're nearly there.