Author Topic: Getting the free promotion right....How to do it? Can we build a guide?  (Read 2220 times)  

Online TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
  • Aussie in the 27th century.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
Re: Getting the free promotion right....How to do it? Can we build a guide?
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2017, 07:11:18 AM »
Sweet Free Books stating that they were closing up shop on June 30 of this year. ...... I found a message that confirmed they had closed their doors on June 30.

That's what I saw when I looked earlier. Scratch them off the list.

Here's what I do:

For a big-bang promo, I start booking two months in advance of the dates I want. I book RobinReads, BookBarbarian, EbookBetty and Fussy Librarian, because they tend to get booked up way in advance. That locks in the actual date of the promo. Thirty days ahead, I book the ones that need exactly 30 days' notice (Booksends and ENT). At that point, I also book all the smaller sites I want. And yes, some don't reply, some give you a different date, some don't tell you a date is full until later... All part of the rich tapestry of (promo) life.  ;D

Ok, that's what I needed.

Its the step up from hardly ever needing to promo, to doing them on a regular basis, planned well out in advance.

So for now, I'll do another Freebooksy, and then start planning a big one for 2-3 months out.

I'd start with Bookbub...

We all wish. But locked into KU as I am, that's one site I can forget.

Offline Jennifer Morse

• Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2017, 07:25:22 AM »
I did the FussyLibrarian and for 3 days straight with The Way of The Fairy Godmother this has happened:  #1 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Nonfiction > Self-Help > Motivational
#1 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Metaphysical

Meanwhile BookBub shot me down for.....7th time. Even while book was on the cover of Writer's Digest.

Offline Rosie A.

• The Wild West
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2017, 10:08:03 AM »
What a wonderful thread! Thank you to the OP and all who have given their wisdom. I've been struggling to plan a promo and this has helped answer a lot of questions for me. :)

Offline Elsye_Harwood

• View Profile
    • Elsye Harwood
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2017, 12:09:02 PM »
Thank you for all this wonderful advice and  detailed information.
I've not yet tried to promote my books, which is awful I know.
I didn't really know where to start  as it all seemed incredibly confusing.
 Finally I have a plan  thanks to  this thread and your willingness to impart your advice.  Now I've a firm idea about how to go about it and when to sign up with the various sites.
 Thank you all for your contributions and thanks especially to TimothyEllis for starting this.
Historical fantasy mainly but knowing me it'll be all the ones I read as a child. Enid Blyton Scifi?
Elsye Harwood | My Blog | Facebook | Twitter

Offline JaclynDolamore

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2017, 01:45:05 PM »
BTW, Timothy, I would definitely do FKBT. My husband has a sci-fi book that sells to your audience and he did quite well with a 99 cent sale there, so I'm thinking FKBT's sci-fi audience is quite strong...

Jaclyn Dolamore | Blog | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Nicholas Erik

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2017, 09:34:32 PM »
Nick, could you double check this? I'm asking this because I received an email a couple of months ago from Sweet Free Books stating that they were closing up shop on June 30 of this year. When I read that you just booked them, I got excited, because they always did very well for me. However, when I checked their site (http://sweetfreebooks.com/advertise/) I found a message that confirmed they had closed their doors on June 30.

This thread is from a few months back; when I posted that message on June 4, SFB was still live. They have indeed shuttered their doors since. The promo list I linked to at the top has been updated accordingly.

Nick

Offline V.P.

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2017, 09:43:23 PM »
This thread is from a few months back; when I posted that message on June 4, SFB was still live. They have indeed shuttered their doors since. The promo list I linked to at the top has been updated accordingly.

Nick

I didn't realize that this thread was started months ago and had only recently been resurrected. My bad. Sorry for the mix-up!

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2017, 09:48:15 PM »

The Indielister site is all messed up. First it asks me to input my email to access the site. Then it tells me to confirm my email, which I did. Then it takes me to the site again and tells me to log in with a password. Say what? What password? There's no place to register and I was never asked to create a password. I click the "forgot my password" to see what happens, and it asks me to type in my email. I typed in my email ahd it tells me there is no such user, even though I had confirmed my email. The whole exercise was a waste of my time. In fact, I'm wasting more time typing this post now because of it.

I give up. I'm not wasting more time for this site anymore.

Alexa, you might have caught me as I was transitioning to a new website/server. The Indielisters link in my signature should take you to the page with a "join now" link where you can register and gain full access to the site where you can see all the book promo results authors are sharing (you can now download and sort the data, too).

I'm afraid you were taken to the old signup page, and I've been working to have all those links changed or redirected. Sorry for the trouble!

Offline Nicholas Erik

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2017, 09:58:11 PM »
I didn't realize that this thread was started months ago and had only recently been resurrected. My bad. Sorry for the mix-up!

No worries. It never hurts to get confirmation.

Nick

Online TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2017, 10:03:44 PM »

No, my bad. I started it, then went down for the count, and have only just started to rethink all of this.

Offline V.P.

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2017, 05:32:42 PM »
No, my bad. I started it, then went down for the count, and have only just started to rethink all of this.

I was sorry to hear about your health problems, Timothy. I hope you are doing better now?

Online TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2017, 06:13:17 PM »
I was sorry to hear about your health problems, Timothy. I hope you are doing better now?

Not really. I get small periods each day where I function about the level of a cat. Its very frustrating.

I managed to book a Freebooksy last night, but getting anything else to line up with it was beyond me.

Offline V.P.

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2017, 06:20:11 PM »
Not really. I get small periods each day where I function about the level of a cat. Its very frustrating.

I managed to book a Freebooksy last night, but getting anything else to line up with it was beyond me.

I'm not sure it will work for you, but I've found that drinking mimosas in between booking promo slots helps. Good luck!

Online TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2017, 06:23:24 PM »
I'm not sure it will work for you, but I've found that drinking mimosas in between booking promo slots helps. Good luck!

If mimosas are alcoholic, no that will make things worse. I'm allergic to alcohol.

I did however overdose on Red Bull.

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac