Need a new Case? Save $30 with code SPARKLE30 + Free Shipping at Case-Mate.com! Offer ends 12/15.

Author Topic: Does a marketing service like this exist?  (Read 568 times)  

Offline KeraEmory

• View Profile
Does a marketing service like this exist?
« on: June 06, 2017, 09:22:23 AM »
Is there a service or person anyone's aware of who specializes in writing blurbs (of various lengths as required for various promo sites), back cover matter, tweets, short tags for advertising, etc?

Disclaimers: Yes, I know this is a skill I need to learn/improve myself. I have a major time bottleneck and very few available brain processing cycles for writing, and when I get them I use them for the writing itself. I have almost no natural aptitude for the promo/marketing side of the biz, and probably an actual negative value of aptitude, for partly psychological reasons, and no I don't have time for therapy. :)

More practically, I can't seem to pull back and get enough big-picture perspective to encapsulate my books in a few sentences.

In short ... would rather pay someone to do it. I realize this wouldn't be a terribly trivial task as someone would have to actually be familiar with the material to write ad copy for it.

And if no one is doing this for pay yet ... maybe it's a possible niche business someone should look at. :)

Offline Benjamin Douglas

• Iowa
  • Reading :) Riting :) Rithmatic :(
    • View Profile
    • Benjamin Douglas Books
Re: Does a marketing service like this exist?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 09:26:09 AM »
Yes.

Bryan Cohen of The Sell More Books Show does exactly that. It's not the cheapest price tag, but not the cheapest product, either. He's sort of known for his blurb wizardry. Book blurbs, fb ad blurbs, etc:

http://www.bestpageforward.net/blurbs/

Offline KeraEmory

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 09:28:50 AM »
Yes.

Bryan Cohen of The Sell More Books Show does exactly that. It's not the cheapest price tag, but not the cheapest product, either. He's sort of known for his blurb wizardry. Book blurbs, fb ad blurbs, etc:

Thanks! Wish the site was slightly less minimalist, as I'm not totally sure what he means by book "Description" (I guess the Amazon detail/blurb), but looks close to what I was envisioning.

Offline plumstead

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 09:29:21 AM »
I have this thread bookmarked, because I feel the same pain regarding blurbs:

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,250395.0.html

Good luck!

Offline KeraEmory

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 09:33:09 AM »
I have this thread bookmarked, because I feel the same pain regarding blurbs:

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,250395.0.html

Good luck!

Thanks!

Offline EllieDee

• Drifting around Europe
  • Dreaming about the future...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 10:03:04 AM »
There's some good stuff on this thread!  I wish I had something to contribute.  I went through a brief period of trying blurb writing services on Fiverr because it seemed totally worthwhile to pay five bucks and avoid that hassle.  Sadly, I didn't end up with anything worth publishing.  I guess I paid $15 for the lesson that I need to learn how to do them myself.

Man, writing blurbs is the worst.

Online AlexaKang

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 11:33:01 AM »
Yes.

Off topic but do you know where Brian's FB group is? Can anybody join?

OP: I think there's a gal on Fivver.com who offers blurb writing service and has very good client recommendations. Maybe you can check it out and try to find her there.

Offline Benjamin Douglas

• Iowa
  • Reading :) Riting :) Rithmatic :(
    • View Profile
    • Benjamin Douglas Books
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 11:46:01 AM »
Off topic but do you know where Brian's FB group is? Can anybody join?

OP: I think there's a gal on Fivver.com who offers blurb writing service and has very good client recommendations. Maybe you can check it out and try to find her there.

I actually don't know at all about the fb group, but that definitely sounds worth looking into! I suspect most of what he does is not usually free, since his non-fic and author services seem to be a large chunk of his business, but I'm speaking in ignorance here and could be completely wrong.

Plug for his podcast though. It's one of the best.

Online ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 12:28:01 PM »
My friend used to do this, but people expected way too many revisions for what they were willing to pay, so she stopped doing it, because she'd end up working for far less than minimum wage.

Online LilyBLily

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 01:19:11 PM »
What about the Blurb Queen? http://www.theblurbqueen.com/

Or the Blurb *itch? http://www.blurbb*tch.com/  (Don't know if that rhymes-with-witch word will come through, but can google her.)

And there are others.

Offline cvorvain

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 01:37:43 PM »
I think many copywriters would be happy to help you with the task.
You could always read a few blurbs see what elements you liked about each of them, then try writing it yourself.

Offline anniejocoby

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 02:00:43 PM »
OMG, I could have written this post! I can write for hours. I've produced a novel a month for the past four months. But just thinking about marketing makes me want to cry.

But here are a few things that I can recommend (or not recommend as it were).

http://www.bestpageforward.net/blurbs/ - Bryan Cohen from "Sell More Books Show" writes blurbs. He's pretty good at it. His turnaround isn't super-fast, but if you need it right away, he can get you a blurb in a few days, IIRC.

For Facebook ads, I've tried two services, both of which disappointed me. One is Marketing360. A big waste of money. I also tried Author Buzz, at the recommendation of another author. I was very disappointed in them as well. I kept asking for analytics on the ads, and I never got them. The lady was kinda rude, too, when I inquired about what was going on with my ads. I never saw the ads, and I never saw analytics, so I have no clue on what they did. I do know that I didn't get that many free downloads that month for my book, considering what I paid. I would steer clear of both of those.

Crystal on this board has mentioned FatKat Digital for Facebook ads. She's done very well with her rock star romances, so that's something to consider. I have the page bookmarked. I was going to try them for my current series, but I've been burned so badly before that I haven't had the nerve to try out anybody else.

I don't know about Twitter.

Good luck! I know how you feel, believe me. Back when I was making a lot of money in romance, I was going to hire everything out myself, and I tried, but the ROI I got was always so abysmal that I got very discouraged.

Two dollars! Two dollars! I want my two dollars!!!
Annie Jocoby | ]Badge[/url] | Annie Jocoby website

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac