Author Topic: Have you noticed an audio price hike? Or, WTF is going on with whisper?  (Read 7161 times)  

Offline Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
Well have you? Whisper sync used to be $1.99 across the board for my books, and I cried and cried and cried when it first happened. Then I saw my royalties, danced for joy, and laughed and laughed and laughed.

Fast forward 4 years, and after coming off the high of a new book launch I noticed a serious downswing in audio sales (like serious, I'm talking less than 20 a day down from a high of almost 70 a day) and I figure it's Chris Fox's fault (hi Chris, waves)

But it wasn't!

Using one of those hide me thingies, I investigated my sales pages at .com to see an actual price rather than a "You're in the wrong place" notification and I find ALL except ONE book is now priced $7.49 when bought with the kindle version! So... far from crying about the price being too low, I now have to cry about it being too high.

Unless...

I see an upswing in royalties inline with the drop in sales. So, did they decide my stuff is all old hat now and take me off the cheap whisper list? Hmmm... what is your experience?

Offline Lydniz

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Credentials
I just checked mine. I only have three books out, but one of them has been raised to $7.49. Ugh.

ETA: it was whispersynched at $3.49 originally, though, not $1.99.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 01:40:19 AM by Lydniz »

Offline Lydniz

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Credentials
At a guess I'd say Amazon are trying to funnel people into taking out membership subscriptions.

Offline readingril

• View Profile
All Amazon is doing for this reader/listener/"I like a good deal on an audiobook " is dissuading me from purchasing companion audiobooks! I've noticed this trend with almost all the Whispersync titles where I've purchased the Kindle version. :(

Online AlecHutson

• Shanghai
    • View Profile
My book has also been bumped up to 7.49 (from 1.99) and it has only been in audio for 6 weeks. Might be across the board.

Alec Hutson

Offline Dolphin

• Under the Sea
  • Skree'ee--eee, eeek!
    • View Profile
I wonder if they're using variable pricing for these. That is to say, they may be changing the price that you see based on anything from your local time, to purchase history, to viewing history, to the strength of the British Pound, &c. We're used to setting our own prices and having those be a fixed, known quantity, but that's not actually how a lot of pricing works on Amazon. They didn't collect all those data for their health.

Condolences to those who're losing revenue to this. Hope it gets sorted somehow. Maybe you can get a seven-figure, audiobook-only deal like Michael Sullivan? I guess that's a thing now.

Offline GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
I saw this a couple of days ago and didn't realize the $7.49 price I was seeing was the sync price. Yes, it's on mine too. Also, when i went and looked at the book pages on Amazon, I noticed the display was different. for Spaceship, for instance, which has only three editions, it used to be that a link would show up, clearly displayed, for all three editions, regardless of which version I was looking at. Now, when I click into the Kindle edition (for instance) all three options show up-- Kindle, Print, Audio-- and then the box displaying the audiobook edition disappears. it's buried under the "see all 3 formats and editions" link now.

Offline Cassie Leigh

• View Profile
Just checked my romance novel and it's still at $1.99 to sync.  It was never a very good seller, although in the last month it's sold about 60 copies because of a free promo.

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.
Blog

Offline Salvador Mercer

• Cleveland Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Salvador Mercer Website
Mine is still synched at $2.99 so far (US Market).

Offline GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
size might be a factor. My books priced at $7.49 are 10-11 hours.

Offline Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
size might be a factor. My books priced at $7.49 are 10-11 hours.

Mine are the same, but my boxed sets are 3 times the size and have become $7.49 as well. One 12 hour book is still $1.99. Totally random. Might be a sales thing. The fewer sales come in over time, the higher the price goes? My back list is getting on a bit now.

Dunno.

Offline This_Way_Down

• View Profile
I've heard that ACX books are suffering a price hike. I haven't heard this from book through audio pubs. All of mine are through traditional audio pub, length varies, and the whispersync price is the same.

Offline Lydniz

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Credentials
My books are only seven hours or so and one of them has still gone up in price.

Offline Adair Hart

• Columbus, Ohio
  • Everything is as it should be
    • View Profile
    • Adair Hart
Just checked mine.

Prequel novella (2 hours) : 1.99
Book 1  (5 hours): 7.49
Book 2 (10 hours): 7.49
Book 3 (11 hours): 7.49
Box Set (26 hours): 1.99

Book 6 of of the the Evaran Chronicles: 80%
Book 1 of the Earthborn series: 40%

The Evaran Chronicles - Join Evaran and his human companions on their journey through space and time!
Adair Hart | Website | Facebook

Offline Amanda M. Lee

• Listen to me, you will.
    • View Profile
I think it's going to be impossible to see how it plays out from a financial standpoint until we get our first royalty reports. My numbers are down a bit but I didn't move the bulk of my sales through Whispersync anyway. I'm really close to pushing that number to a solid five figures a month (finally!) so I'm anxious to see if this puts me back again.

Amanda M. Lee

Offline David VanDyke

• View Profile
My sales proportions have changed dramatically since the price hikes, and overall down.

My lifetime sales are about 23% AL, 43% ALOP, and 33% ALC.

My recent percentages are more like 60%, 20%, 20%. Given that AL means Audible credits and the other two some form of retail, it appears a 350%+ price hike on whispersync is hurting retail sales a lot.

Now I never liked the super-cheap whispersync add-on, but it's hard to put the genie back in the bottle now that people are used to it. It's also somewhat un-Amazon-like, in that they are usually pushing for cheaper prices rather than raising them hugely.

Futuristic Thrillers, Mysteries and Science Fiction
David VanDyke | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Contact

Offline Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
My sales proportions have changed dramatically since the price hikes, and overall down.

My recent percentages are more like 60%, 20%, 20%. Given that AL means Audible credits and the other two some form of retail, it appears a 350%+ price hike on whispersync is hurting retail sales a lot.

Now I never liked the super-cheap whispersync add-on, but it's hard to put the genie back in the bottle now that people are used to it. It's also somewhat un-Amazon-like, in that they are usually pushing for cheaper prices rather than raising them hugely.

And they never do anything without a plan. I'm looking for the other shoe to drop.

Offline D-C

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Author website
Mm, all of mine have upped in price, including Bloomsbury/Audible pub'd (but not the Tantor ones, oddly). This definitely impacts on future sales projections and whether I commit to any more audible titles.

Offline GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog

Whatever changes they have going on, it crushed the tail on the Daily Deal I had in March. I'm seeing lower audio sales overall than I have more or less since my first book went live last September.

Offline CLStone

• View Profile
    • Obsession is the Goal
$7 is still a better bargain on audiobooks than buying credits from Audible. It may be a little bit of sticker shock for a while, but $1.99 was practically giving the audiobooks away before.

I enjoyed the lower prices as a listener while they lasted, too, but these things are so expensive to make and when your royalties and prices are less than your ebooks, a small bump should be a little better, yeah? Not sure if I would have picked a price point so high... maybe gradually or like others said, maybe incremental for length.

New covers and second book release: Coming soon!
Ask me for a freebie!

Offline GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
their Daily Deal books are usually $3.99-$4.99. maybe the goal here was to increase the value of those deals?

Offline Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
I've been noticing that some audios I wanted to buy through whispersync are anywhere from $3.49 to $7.49. I thought they were maybe trad pubbed audios. Now that I see this thread, I guess not.

Some of mine are still $1.99 but others are $7.49.

I bundled one series into three and the whispersync prices are $1.99, $1.99 and $7.49. The second and third are about the same length.

That also explains why I'm seeing more AL sales which are definitely more profitable.

So, it's wait and see as usual.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Offline David VanDyke

• View Profile
I've also had a rash of returns. I wonder if this is because people are listening and returning, or buying a whispersync and realizing they were charged a lot more than they expected.

Futuristic Thrillers, Mysteries and Science Fiction
David VanDyke | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Contact

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
No changes on my end.  Still $1.99 to sync Buddy.  *shrug*
Jeff Tanyard | Author Website

Offline Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
I've also had a rash of returns. I wonder if this is because people are listening and returning, or buying a whispersync and realizing they were charged a lot more than they expected.

I've only had one return but that was in April. It was quite a shock after four years to see that.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook