KB Featured Book
No Direction Home
by Elizabeth Burns

$0.00
Kindle Edition published 2017-05-20
Bestseller ranking: 81281

Product Description
Hunter Grayson flits from job to job, relationship to relationship, continent to continent until thetragic death of her parents brings her back to her childhood home.While trying to figure out how to move forward, she meets wild, fun Natalya Haven, who quickly becomes the sister she never had. But when Natalya moves in, their friendship unravels.
A second tragedy sends Hunter to a small town in New Mexico, a town out of her own past. For Hunter, that's more than a coincidence, that's fate. Natalya's family will fill the void in her life. Natalya's parents will become her parents. She and Natalya's brother will fall in love. But nothing is ever that simple....

Author Topic: seeking great worldbuilding, share your books  (Read 1496 times)  

Offline blerg et al.

• View Profile
seeking great worldbuilding, share your books
« on: June 13, 2017, 08:31:38 AM »
I don't really enjoy networking or cross-promoting with authors whose books I can't read. :-\

And I'm not talking about bad books, I've had my share of bad reviews and I can look past shaky prose.

I need for books to have really awesome worldbuilding. This is especially true of scifi and fantasy, but it works everywhere.

Patrick Rothfuss talks about how he is a currency nerd: he loves the way that different monetary systems work and writes that into his novels. Some people spend most of their time developing the cultural mores of their world. Other people are really into biology, or chemistry, this is the basis of hard science fiction. In fantasy books, sometimes all it takes is a really cool map and a love of geography. Personally, I like weird science, philosophy, and camping. So a post-apocalyptic scifi-fantasy was just right, though not exactly 'to-market.'

The only caveat is that the world-building should be a major part of the story. I'm not a big fan of stories where if feels like the author is just checking-off genre boxes.

Again, it's not a criticism. Those kinds of books are great, and they sell much better than mine do. But I'm looking for stories where the setting feels almost like another character.

So if that's the kind of thing you're into, share a link to your books, tell me how you build your world.
Cast in Sand: 80%

Out-Hull: 5%

Gulf Coast Poetry: 80%
Dustin Porta | art website | art facebook | author facebook | author website

Offline JaclynDolamore

• View Profile
Re: seeking great worldbuilding, share your books
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 09:37:14 AM »
It's subjective, but I definitely get a lot of compliments on my unique world. I think it's hurt my sales in some ways, because I write romantic fantasy and a lot of my readers just want the romance. But, I've had the world in my head since I was twelve and there is only so much I want to change it for the market. My main areas of interest are different cultures, history, and linguistics.

There are three main races, the Daramons, the Miralem, and the Fanarlem. The Miralem have telepathic abilities and a goddess based monotheistic religion. The Daramons are not telepathic so they've focused more on sorcery (although Miralem can become sorcerers too) and they believe in fate and karma but don't really believe in any god and are more science-minded. Reincarnation is a known fact in this world but everyone grapples with it differently. Fanarlem are a slave race of very lifelike living doll people created by the Daramons for menial labor and sex. Every part of the world has its own mood and subculture: the Ven-Diri, the Halnari, the Nalim Imans, the Darranese, the Enarans, the Atlanteans, the Balumi Islanders, the Drai...when I create a new character my first question is what part of the world are they from because that tells me at least 25% of their personality right then and there.

The book takes place in a parallel world to our own where magic is real and it is possible to open portals between their world and ours. They were open in ancient times, then firmly closed for a long time, then the passage was rediscovered in the 1880s, so my first book takes place around 1917 just as the rediscovery of this passage and the consequences were becoming known, while Fortune's Curse takes place in 1989 and shows how a lot of how these social and technological revolutions played out. Their history ends up paralleling ours in a lot of ways, but taking surprising turns because they have a different culture. It's sort of a story of Westernization and modernization, and the for-better-and-worse impacts of it.

And there is a lot of made up language. Which I doubt many people care about consciously, but I hope it gives a subconscious cohesion to everything. A lot of names and words come from the same root words.

Jaclyn Dolamore | Blog | Facebook | Twitter

Online Lummox JR

• Syracuse, NY
    • View Profile
    • When I Become a Supervillain
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 10:01:10 AM »
My new book Below has been getting good reviews, and I've always thought of the setting as another character. It's a Roguelike fantasy adventure, with the  bulk of the book spent underground in the ruins of the so-called Elder Kingdom. Think of the Great Underground Empire of Zork (but serious) being set in our world and known at least as far back as the Romans, and used in a medieval treasure quest story.

The world building basically comes from the fact that the ruins have existed for a long time, and that, plus the presence of magic and magical creatures in the world, has led to some interesting alternate-history developments (like the Vikings settling Vinland, obviating the voyage of Columbus). It's the ruins that are the extra character, mysterious and varied. Other world-building elements are mostly touched on by the protagonist as he thinks about the lore, or mentioned in dialogue. In this world there are rifts connecting to other worlds, like Faerie, although those don't come directly into play in the story. There's a system of magic, and more importantly spellbinding (since none of the party are mages, they rely on enchanted items), that's kept consistent. There are also various "manthing" civilizations underground, most notably the goblins.

What this world does not have however is extensive above-ground politics, or various races like elves and dwarves comingling (neither is a thing in this universe, although I suppose the Fae would come close if they factored into the book at all). There isn't a Big Bad evil taking over the landscape, nor a major war or intrigue. It is not Tolkien-esque, which is to say it's not the least bit "epic". If that's the sort of world building you're looking for, this would not be that book. Rather, most of the world is hinted at or discussed. The ruins however are a whole other kind of world-building, and although long abandoned by man they still speak of a fascinating past through architecture and debris--and a somewhat dynamic present through the movements of other creatures, especially the manthings.
Aspiring supervillain, torturer of words, rantcrafter extraordinaire, and unlicensed blurb doctor

Online jlstovall4

• View Profile
    • Y. A. Marks Official Website
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 10:09:39 AM »
So if that's the kind of thing you're into, share a link to your books, tell me how you build your world.

I'll give your request a shot.

Currently, I have 3 different Universes that I'm writing in with another universe to come in the next 12 months (hopefully). I only have one book out now which I'm doing a slight rewrite to before I publish the whole series (which hopefully will be late summer). My other books are being written and read by my betas and all of them comment on how much they love my world building. So I can't link to my books (dangit missed sells) what I can do is speak on how I go about world building.

For me, the first thing I do is discover something central to the world. In Class Zero, it is the class system. From there, I extrapolate what I think humans would do if this "major thing" was actually real. So for the book, the city is separated into "tiers" based on the class of the population. So there is the Lower Class Tier, the Middle Class, the Upper Class, and the "Summit" which we find out later is for the .01%. Looking at national population and financial status, I can say where most people would live, i.e. the Lower Class.

From there, I considered the government and big business. How do they "really see people"? How could I take that idea and push it 100 years or more into the future where my story takes place? Then I consider what points I want to make in the story and the "fun factor." For instance, why not have flying cars and flying security guards?

After that, I try to come up with common factors between them. Who owns what? What relationships exist, etc? I continue this until almost everything in my understanding of the world makes sense and is also fun. the reason why I talk about "fun" is that I don't want to write Fahrenheit 451, when I can write Minority Report. for me if the tech and the world is not something I would want to Cosplay as or visit at Disney (Avatar) then I don't want to write that world.

At this point the world is complete. Now I just need to add the world's effect on my characters.

That's how I personally do it. Sorry you can't read anything, but hopefully some of this helps.

Y.A. Marks | Website

Offline jackconnerbooks

• Austin, TX
  • Jack Conner
    • View Profile
    • Jack Conner Books
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 10:14:11 AM »
If you like interesting worldbuilding, check out my Atomic Sea series (see below).

Bestselling fantasy, science fiction and horror writer
Jack Conner | Facebook | Wordpress | Amazon Author Page

Offline Kyra Halland

• Arizona
    • View Profile
    • Welcome To My Worlds
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 03:02:06 PM »
I have several worlds I've written in, some series and some standalone. I've been complimented on my worldbuilding, though I don't do a lot of intensive worldbuilding. I keep it more low-key; I just establish the basics of what I need as far as how my characters and their situation fit into the social structure, whatever history is needed to give context to the characters and their situation, and how the magic works. Everything else, I kind of make up as I go along, then when I revise I go back and make everything fit and make it consistent. In writing, I focus on working in just what needs to be there for the story (though of course I have to resist the temptation - not always successfully - to expound on the cool stuff I've thought of).

Mostly when I start developing my ideas, I start with some characters who've popped into my brain, usually in a specific situation, then I build from there, figuring out what the situation is and what kind of world would produce that problem and those characters. But with my fantasy-western series, I started with the idea of writing high fantasy in an Old West-type setting, then figured out what sort of characters that setting would produce and why people would leave the civilized lands and come out to the wilderness to settle.

Now, with five different worlds I've developed, when I get a new story idea, I try to fit it into one of my existing worlds instead of starting over building a whole new world. Mainly because I need more series :D

Series:
Daughter of the Wildings series, in a setting based on the American Old West: http://www.kyrahalland.com/daughter-of-the-wildings.html
my Tehovir world, where magic comes from natural features in the landscape: http://www.kyrahalland.com/tales-of-tehovir.html

Standalones:
Sarya's Song: a world where music is magic http://www.kyrahalland.com/saryas-song.html
The Lost Book of Anggird: the entire government is based on a claim that magic was a divine gift to their country http://www.kyrahalland.com/the-lost-book-of-anggird.html
Urdaisunia: loosely inspired by ancient Sumerian civilization and mythology http://www.kyrahalland.com/urdaisunia.html
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 03:04:05 PM by Kyra Halland »

Tales of fantasy, heroism, and romance.
Kyra Halland | Website | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Goodreads

Offline blerg et al.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 03:18:24 PM »
Awesome, you guys really took it to heart. I just got in and I'm only here for a minute but, real quick replies:

Every part of the world has its own mood and subculture
Love what you said about each place having it's own mood. That's as important to the world building as anything else, sort of an unwritten rule. Kind of unrelated note, but I like unwritten rules for characters. I've got one race of people who always have a knife. No matter how bad things get, or what kind of trouble they're in, they always have a knife within reach, even when other character think they've taken the knife away from them. It's not a superpower, it's not explicitly stated, they're just crafty.

The book takes place in a parallel world to our own where magic is real and it is possible to open portals between their world and ours. 

Paralel worlds scare me. As soon as I connect to book to the real world, it has to be factually accurate. I guess the benefit is, it is you get the benefit of a character from our world to ask questions and explain things.

And there is a lot of made up language. Which I doubt many people care about consciously, but I hope it gives a subconscious cohesion to everything. A lot of names and words come from the same root words.

Not only cohesion, but sometimes words from our world have roots in specific places or things that totally ruin the fantasy.
I can't think of any good examples right now, but there are plenty. John Hancock(meaning signature), red herring, saying that someone had a spartan attitude, when ancient greece didn't exist in this world. Things like that.

My new book Below has been getting good reviews, and I've always thought of the setting as another character.

I'm encouraged that it's doing well, seems similar to mine, in style, if not genre.

There isn't a Big Bad evil taking over the landscape, nor a major war or intrigue. It is not Tolkien-esque, which is to say it's not the least bit "epic". If that's the sort of world building you're looking for, this would not be that book. Rather, most of the world is hinted at or discussed. The ruins however are a whole other kind of world-building, and although long abandoned by man they still speak of a fascinating past through architecture and debris

See, this was a problem for me. I was so into the world building that I didn't have a well-formed antagonist. Just a bunch of interesting side characters. Sounds like you have a good goal at least, finding of treasure. Do you think that the worldbuilding got away from you, or did the plot turn out just how you wanted it? Also do your readers mind that there isn't a 'big bad' at the end? I kind of like that my story can be about a bunch of things, and not just one main objective. But it does make for a lukewarm ending.

I like the bit about letting the ruins speak for themselves. The iceburg approach is the way to go Reveal a little bit of the world, make sure it is consistent, imply alot.

I was helping a writing mentor to edit this book, and we got to a scene about a little white church, and he told the author, cut out all this description of the church. Everyone has a little white church that they've seen, in their mind, don't take their vision away from them by over-describing it. I'm not sure that works in all situations, but it was interesting to think about. Sort of a tell, don't show moment.

If you like interesting worldbuilding, check out my Atomic Sea series (see below).

I've been aware of your books for a while now. maybe from also boughts, or kboards.
Nautical, bizarre, Jules Verne-esque, totally my thing.
I haven't started them yet because they look pretty dark and conceptually dense.
Nothing wrong with that. Moby Dick is the same way, and it's my favorite book. But it's not a casual read, I need a good couple weeks of dedicated brooding time.
I could be wrong about the dark, dense thing...but that was my impression. Same thing has kept me from reading Black Company, even though I really want to.

Offline P.J. Post

• There is no spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 07:00:36 PM »
I can't say how great it is, but this is my methodology: super slow, and I try as much as possible to let the world emerge through character interaction, experientially, explaining as little as I can get away with. Most of us have no clue how our world really works, we just know how things appear on the surface, actions and consequences. My characters accept the world around them, sometimes they discuss it, make guesses, but they don't really know what's going on: they're not heroes, not generals or warriors, no chosen ones here, just a bunch of kids trying real hard not to die. I try to build character, and then let the reader go with them, so they discover things and try to solve the mysteries together. I'm about to publish Book 4, but the world won't be fully explained (as such) until the end of Book 6.

Online Lummox JR

• Syracuse, NY
    • View Profile
    • When I Become a Supervillain
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 07:29:46 PM »
See, this was a problem for me. I was so into the world building that I didn't have a well-formed antagonist. Just a bunch of interesting side characters. Sounds like you have a good goal at least, finding of treasure. Do you think that the worldbuilding got away from you, or did the plot turn out just how you wanted it? Also do your readers mind that there isn't a 'big bad' at the end? I kind of like that my story can be about a bunch of things, and not just one main objective. But it does make for a lukewarm ending.

I haven't had any complaints about the lack of some ancient evil to defeat or kingdom to save, but that wasn't the plot I was writing for to begin with. The story I wanted to tell all along was a smaller quest. I wrote the story because of my affection for Roguelike games, and a desire to see a story all about dungeon crawling. That would, almost by necessity, involve a treasure quest rather than a save-the-world sort of quest, because typically a Roguelike is about finding wealth and glory for your character. So the small/personal scope of the plot was true to the kind of story I had in mind all along.

But my book actually does have a well-defined antagonist: the expedition leader. The MC and his friends are dragged into the quest after their "boss" learns that the MC has possession of a treasure map--except the map is a fake, and circumstances force the MC to bluff that it might be real. So all along the way, my protagonist knows they're not going to find the treasure--not that specific one--and has to ply his skills to steer things towards an outcome that will let him live.

It's only the world itself that doesn't have a Big Bad. Because heck, neither does ours, religious entities notwithstanding.
Aspiring supervillain, torturer of words, rantcrafter extraordinaire, and unlicensed blurb doctor

Offline blerg et al.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 06:04:46 AM »
for me if the tech and the world is not something I would want to Cosplay as or visit at Disney (Avatar) then I don't want to write that world.
Remind me of another favorite quote. "Err on the side of awesome."
I always choose what is the most fun. Why write if it isn't fun.
If you're writing in three different worlds, are they all standalone, or will they be series? Keeping three series going seems like a big commitment.

Offline blerg et al.

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 06:12:48 AM »
Kyra,
Your sci-fi westerns, are they ya or adult? I really like the covers, they look like they could go either way.
I only ask because I get the same question allot. Well, I used to when I had an illustrated cover.
Personally, I didn't feel comfortable calling my books YA because there's mentions of sex and drugs in them. But it isn't a major theme. And YA books get racier every year.
I still wouldn't do it, half of my main characters are too old. But I'm curious what your readership is like.

Online ameliasmith

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 06:21:13 AM »
I've been told that worldbuilding is one of my strong points. See my series in the sig line. I intended them as books for grown-ups, but the characters are young in the prequel novels and there are younger characters in the trilogy, too, so it sometimes gets mis-categorized as YA. It's not heavy on the sex scenes, but it does have sexual relationships as a theme and they don't fill the romance happily-ever-after bill (which is probably part of the reason for my lackluster sales).

Online Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2017, 06:28:18 AM »
All of these books sound fascinating. I love fantasy because there's so much variety.

My books are a portal story. The MC is a gemologist who becomes interested in gemstone folklore and learns to access gems' arcane powers. She discovers a portal to a world inhabited by gnomes that's ruled by a gem master with incredible powers. Against her better judgment, she gets involved in the gnomes' conflict.

World building occurs iceberg fashion, from one book in the series to the next, since the gnomes have lived in hiding for generations and know as little about their world as Lana, the MC. They live inside trees, accessing trees' interdimensional space, an ability unique to their race. Naturally, they have to come out to raise food, hunt, and produce basic necessities.

The first book takes place over a short period of time, and we see a limited amount of the world, but there is extensive ecological damage and bizarre mutant creatures, purposely created by the gem master queen.

The second book takes place after the queen has been defeated. The gnomes hope to finally discover their lost culture and see more of their world, but the defeated queen has a sentient spell book with instructions for revenge, and they face deadly new problems.

I'm editing book three now, due out in the fall, and book four is partially written. It's fun discovering the world along with the characters. Most everything they believed about themselves and their world is wrong, since they have relied on oral history for over two centuries, and have traveled very little.

Both books will be on a seven-day $0.99 Kindle Countdown Deal, starting tomorrow, 6/15.           

Kay L Ling | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline Joseph Malik

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
    • Writing and Fighting with Joseph Malik
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2017, 08:47:38 AM »
Holy my beer. I've got this.

Please read Dragon's Trail. The link is in my sig line. Worldbuilding notes are in my blog. Readers have contacted me asking if it's real. Enjoy.
Dragon's Trail: 100%

The New Magic - Words: 100%

The New Magic - Immersion, Conflict, Motivations, Subplots, Chemistry, Distinct Character Voices, Pacing, Dialogue, Phrasing, Character Development, Atmosphere, Allegory, Polemic, Imagery, Research, Suspension of Disbelief: 30%
Dragon's Trail available on September 30th, 2016.
Writing and Fighting with Joseph Malik | Website | Blog| Mailing List

Offline blerg et al.

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2017, 09:16:41 AM »
Readers have contacted me asking if it's real. Enjoy.
I'm glad you reminded me about this one. I remember reading another post where you tell the story of your over enthusiastic fans.
The portal to this world is a great device. I haven't used it yet.

Offline Joseph Malik

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2017, 09:23:50 AM »
I'm glad you reminded me about this one. I remember reading another post where you tell the story of your over enthusiastic fans.
The portal to this world is a great device. I haven't used it yet.

I have accepted that I am blessed to have spawned this level of fandom. I will admit, though, at first, it really weirded me out.

Also, if you know the location of the portal, I'm trusting you to keep it a secret.

The New Magic - Immersion, Conflict, Motivations, Subplots, Chemistry, Distinct Character Voices, Pacing, Dialogue, Phrasing, Character Development, Atmosphere, Allegory, Polemic, Imagery, Research, Suspension of Disbelief: 30%

Offline blerg et al.

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2017, 09:26:25 AM »
They live inside trees, accessing trees' interdimensional space, an ability unique to their race. Naturally, they have to come out to raise food, hunt, and produce basic necessities.   
So, your saying the inside of trees connect to both dimensions?
Reminds me of some urban fantasy I've read. Where a magical world exists right under our noses. I can get into that when it is quirky and subtle and when the world is hidden. Basically when the book is about discovery I like it. Once the whole iceberg is out in the open, I tend to lose interest.
I never want to know all of the secrets.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 09:34:14 AM by blerg et al. »

Offline blerg et al.

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2017, 09:33:00 AM »
I have accepted that I am blessed to have spawned this level of fandom. I will admit, though, at first, it really weirded me out.

Also, if you know the location of the portal, I'm trusting you to keep it a secret.
I haven't experienced this with my writing.
As a painter, people come up with very specific requests like: Can you paint a bird sitting on a car, as the sun comes up over Pittsburgh.
Then, they message me back to ask what the experience of painting that scene felt like. Not to buy it, just to, feel the feeling or something.
I just block those. It feels weirdly invasive.
If they want to look inside my head they can buy my book. It's not all cucoo birds and sunrises in there.

Offline blerg et al.

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2017, 09:38:57 AM »
. I intended them as books for grown-ups, but the characters are young in the prequel novels and there are younger characters in the trilogy, too, so it sometimes gets mis-categorized as YA.
They say Harry potter started out as middle grade, but got a lot darker and YA as the characters grew up.  If I could write that way I would. Maybe with practice.

Offline Joseph Malik

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2017, 10:17:25 AM »

For those of you reading this who haven't been following the saga of my fans and want to know what we're talking about, it's encapsulated here: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,251239.msg3497213.html#msg3497213

Offline Kyra Halland

• Arizona
    • View Profile
    • Welcome To My Worlds
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2017, 11:54:26 AM »
Kyra,
Your sci-fi westerns, are they ya or adult? I really like the covers, they look like they could go either way.
I only ask because I get the same question allot. Well, I used to when I had an illustrated cover.
Personally, I didn't feel comfortable calling my books YA because there's mentions of sex and drugs in them. But it isn't a major theme. And YA books get racier every year.
I still wouldn't do it, half of my main characters are too old. But I'm curious what your readership is like.

They are adult. The heroine is 19, but she's a mature 19, a full-fledged adult in her world (not a high school adolescent 19) and the hero is 32. The 19-year-old heroine is the youngest character. And there's on-screen sex (though not very graphic). The themes and perspective are adult, not teenager-centric. So yes, adult. I've had one or two reviews mentioning YA, but I'm not sure I understand why anyone reading the book would call it YA, except it does have a 19-year-old heroine and it isn't grimdark or real heavy on bad language and graphic sex and violence. ?? I suggest my books for ages 16/17 and older, defintely not for younger teens.

My readership for this series is high/epic fantasy and weird western, adults, and even with the romance element I think a good portion (maybe even half or more?) is male. It seems like this series is something that people either love or they just don't get it. Western and high fantasy together; to me the genres fit perfectly together, but other people see them as too different to work together, and the combination is too different from the predominant model of medieval-Europe-based fantasy worlds.

Regarding the covers, the books are high fantasy, where illustrated covers (or photomanip covers heavily overpainted to look illustrated) seem to be dominant. Long tradition there. More obviously photo-based covers would put me more in mind of urban fantasy.

ETA: Oh, and I'm glad you like the covers! I'm kind of in love with them  :D
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 12:34:56 PM by Kyra Halland »

Online Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2017, 12:15:15 PM »

Another portal story. I'll have to check it out. The infinite variety of worlds possible on the other side has always intrigued me. I heard a while ago that portal stories were becoming more popular again.

Online Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2017, 12:21:23 PM »
They are adult. The heroine is 19, but she's a mature 19, a full-fledged adult in her world (not a high school adolescent 19) and the hero is 32. The 19-year-old heroine is the youngest character. And there's on-screen sex (though not very graphic). The themes and perspective are adult, not teenager-centric. So yes, adult. I've had one or two reviews mentioning YA, but I'm not sure I understand why anyone reading the book would call it YA, except it does have a 19-year-old heroine and it isn't grimdark or real heavy on bad language and graphic sex and violence. ?? I suggest my books for ages 16/17 and older, defintely not for younger teens.

My readership for this series is high/epic fantasy and weird western, adults, and even with the romance element I think a good portion (maybe even half or more?) is male. It seems like this series is something that people either love or they just don't get it. Western and high fantasy together; to me the genres fit perfectly together, but other people see them as too different to work together, and the combination is too different from the predominant model of medieval-Europe-based fantasy worlds.

Regarding the covers, the books are high fantasy, where illustrated covers (or photomanip covers heavily overpainted to look illustrated) seem to be dominant. Long tradition there. More obviously photo-based covers would put me more in mind of urban fantasy.

As far as I'm concerned, your quirky setting is a positive rather than a negative. Your books remind me of one titled Native Star. Have you  read it? I bet you'd enjoy it. I tend to roll my eyes as pseudo-medieval European settings these days. It's been done to death.

Offline Kyra Halland

• Arizona
    • View Profile
    • Welcome To My Worlds
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2017, 12:27:18 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, your quirky setting is a positive rather than a negative. Your books remind me of one titled Native Star. Have you  read it? I bet you'd enjoy it. I tend to roll my eyes as pseudo-medieval European settings these days. It's been done to death.

I do in fact have Native Star on my to-read list.

It's still hard to find books like mine, fantasy in a Western-type setting that is totally not our world. More common in science fiction, but there is getting to be more of it. Not a lot, though.

I've also kind of moved on from the pseudo-medieval European settings. They can still be done well and with some originality, but sometimes it just seems like, as the OP said, it's plugged in. One standard fantasy setting, insert into book.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 12:32:01 PM by Kyra Halland »

Offline Kyra Halland

• Arizona
    • View Profile
    • Welcome To My Worlds
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2017, 12:29:05 PM »
For those of you reading this who haven't been following the saga of my fans and want to know what we're talking about, it's encapsulated here: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,251239.msg3497213.html#msg3497213

I'm torn between wishing I had fans as devoted as yours and being kind of glad I don't. ;D