Kindle Forum banner

Dang! How long does it take for Amazon to update covers these days?

2K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  notjohn 
#1 ·
Seriously, I updated my legal thriller covers with Amazon over a week ago. Still, nothing.

My question is - at what point do I contact them to inquire about this? Or is this a normal thing?

Thanks!

#7 ·
SallyRose said:
I just checked your books. If you click on the Look Inside, you'll see the new covers are showing up in the LI view. When my cover update was slow and I contacted Amazon awhile back, I learned that once it's showing on the LI it means it's proceeding normally with the update. Apparently, it shows up there first and then propagates through the rest of the system until it shows up as the main image on the book page and in results.
Yes, this is what happened to mine. They are taking way too long to update the product pages and series pages. Showing on the LI takes 24 hours, then they go to the beach for a week while we wait for them to finish the job. Nothing but excuses.

#8 ·
SallyRose said:
I just checked your books. If you click on the Look Inside, you'll see the new covers are showing up in the LI view. When my cover update was slow and I contacted Amazon awhile back, I learned that once it's showing on the LI it means it's proceeding normally with the update. Apparently, it shows up there first and then propagates through the rest of the system until it shows up as the main image on the book page and in results.
Thanks, Sally! I guess I should be patient, but dang, it's never taken this long.

#10 ·
My experience with two cover updates this year:

Look Inside update: less than 24 hours

Ebook cover update on sales page: two days

Print cover update on sales page: six days

#12 ·
Things are very slow on Amazon recently. Even getting an e-book uploaded and published takes a day or more.

Covers are usually approved/resolved within hours, but take days to show up in reality.

Was commenting to my editor this morning how slow they are compared to other outlets.

#15 ·
Ugh, eight days is ridiculous!

I commend you on your restraint. :D I would've contacted them on day 3 (and would have cursed loudly at my computer every time I checked and they still weren't updated...)

Hope they get it fixed for you soon! :)

#16 ·
I'm so glad you posted this--I've been going crazy. I have a cover update that I've been waiting a week on! I finally emailed them this morning.

And speaking of slow, I had a pre-order that took a good 36 hours to show up on Amazon. I was waiting for it so I could link it in the book that's getting ready to release. It was super close to the deadline.  :eek:

#21 ·
The last couple of times I tried to update a cover, I re-uploaded it every couple of days until it stuck. Took about a week and three uploads. It's still easier than dealing with the clueless copy-and-paste emails you'll get back if you contact them.

When I update the interior, I just change something minor in the front matter so I can see when the Look Inside updates. Tildes in front of a line in the disclaimer or something unobtrusive like that. Just keep uploading until it takes, and save yourself the grief of clueless CSRs.

#22 ·
Shelley K said:
The last couple of times I tried to update a cover, I re-uploaded it every couple of days until it stuck. Took about a week and three uploads. It's still easier than dealing with the clueless copy-and-paste emails you'll get back if you contact them.

When I update the interior, I just change something minor in the front matter so I can see when the Look Inside updates. Tildes in front of a line in the disclaimer or something unobtrusive like that. Just keep uploading until it takes, and save yourself the grief of clueless CSRs.
I might have to do that, even though I don't want to - every time I change something, I have to change my product description in Author Central. PIA. I'll see if that works for me, though. Thanks!

#25 ·
For a year at least, it's been a week or ten days for me. I'm amazed that so many people say hours!

I published the eighth edition of my Guide on January 1. The Look Inside showed the new cover on January 3, the store page on January 10.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.