KB Featured
The Sun God's Heir: Return (Book One)
by Elliott Baker

Kindle Edition published 2017-01-02
Bestseller ranking:

Product Description
For three thousand years a hatred burns. In seventeenth century Bordeaux two souls incarnate, one born the child of a prosperous merchant, the other, steals a life determined to continue a brutal incarnation begun long ago.

Under the guidance of Pharaoh, two brothers grew strong in knowledge and power, one a physician, the other a general. With the pharaoh’s untimely death, a deep hatred blossoms. One remembers, one does not.

The year is 1671. René Gilbert’s destiny glints from the blade of a slashing rapier. To protect those he loves he must regain the power and knowledge earned in an ancient lifetime. From Bordeaux to Spain to Morocco, René is tested and with each turn of fate he gathers enemies and allies as the memory and power of a lifetime as physician to Pharaoh returns.

Determined to continue a reign of terror that once caused the Nile to run red, Horemheb takes over the life of a young man mortally wo…

Author Topic: Author Diary Vlogs?  (Read 497 times)  

Offline Kal241

• Things are never what they seem
    • View Profile
Author Diary Vlogs?
« on: April 18, 2018, 02:15:29 PM »
I had an idea, but not sure how viable it is. The idea is that I'd make use of my existing YouTube channel to do a set of vlogs detailing interesting factoids and behind-the-scenes bits of my upcoming work.

This would ideally help gather an audience for it, as well as give people who already know of my work a deeper glimpse into it, without spoiling much. Just talking about characters, factions, their inspirations and the thought processes that went into making them.

Anyone tried anything like this?

An artist and a writer combined into one being. When you work with Kal, you get a 2-4-1 deal!  

Check out my artistry at: http://kal241.deviantart.com/
Writing samples of mine will be made available upon request.

Online idontknowyet

• View Profile
Re: Author Diary Vlogs?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 02:18:58 PM »
I haven't but it sounds like a good idea.

Offline RRodriguez

• View Profile
    • The Pixie Chronicles
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 03:14:35 PM »
AuthorTube is quite popular, I suggest looking up at that keyword on Youtube and you'll find a good number of authors already doing something similar. Most authors discuss their writing process or give tips, so it sounds like what you have in mind would fit in well.
thepixiechronicles.com

Offline Kal241

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 03:25:58 PM »
AuthorTube is quite popular, I suggest looking up at that keyword on Youtube and you'll find a good number of authors already doing something similar. Most authors discuss their writing process or give tips, so it sounds like what you have in mind would fit in well.

Thanks so much!

An artist and a writer combined into one being. When you work with Kal, you get a 2-4-1 deal!  

Offline Brevoort

• Calgary
    • View Profile
    • The Disaster Tourist
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 09:05:26 AM »
The idea is that I'd make use of my existing YouTube channel to do a set of vlogs detailing interesting factoids and behind-the-scenes bits of my upcoming work [. . .]  Just talking about characters, factions, their inspirations and the thought processes that went into making them.

Anyone tried anything like this?

Not yet, but about to.

In my other life I advise clients on communications strategies and one of the things I stress is the need to find as many channels as possible to get the message out. There is a kind of synergy that happens when several communications channels are being used, and not necessarily referring to each other.

A Youtube channel is dead simple to set up and recording what you want to say is not much harder with the technology we have in every camera and phone.

Searching on authortube will land you in the midst of a sprawling community of authors and writers of varying abiities but huge enthusiasm. Many of them repeat each other in explaining how to market books but there are others such as yourself who are more interested in talking about the writing process.

It costs nothing of course, other than production time. If you already have a blog it is a pretty easy thing to take the substance of a blog entry and use it as a launch pad for an ad-lib talk to camera. That would take just a few minutes and most of those minutes will be doing the mechanical work of cleaning up the video edit.

The same thing can be done for short podcasts. And of course, the links for blog, youtube, and the podcasts, become fodder for Twitter and Facebook. I don't know whether it is worth the effort to post into Google+ and I should pop over into it and see if things have improved. With a good image you can also use Instagram as a link springboard and also Pinterest, although that place quite frankly baffles me.

I tell clients that social media does not have to consume someone's day. One message a week in all communications channels works well. That shouldn't take more than a couple of hours, assuming that the, "What do you want to say?" part has been done. The actual scheduling and posting can be speeded up immensely for most social media channels by using a paid service such as bufferapp.com
Rick Grant
Calgary

Offline Kal241

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 08:09:48 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, guys!

I went ahead and tried it out. Got two installments up on YouTube, and plans for more!

For the curious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za8tDuYN3J0&list=PLBMSQBEFINCNpZ7P86kGbcacTeTK-HkQg

Offline Elizabeth Barone

• Watertown, CT
  • Contemporary Romance & Suspense
    • View Profile
    • Elizabeth Barone: Contemporary Romance & Suspense
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 08:28:47 AM »
Sounds like a good idea. Do you have a Facebook page or group? I like to do live videos where I hang out with my readers and chat with them.

Connect With Me: BlogFacebook | Instagram | Amazon | Goodreads | Book+Main

Offline Kal241

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 09:22:07 AM »
Sounds like a good idea. Do you have a Facebook page or group? I like to do live videos where I hang out with my readers and chat with them.

I have an author page on Facebook, and posted it there =3 Sadly, my viewers aren't so active.

Offline Elizabeth Barone

• Watertown, CT
  • Contemporary Romance & Suspense
    • View Profile
    • Elizabeth Barone: Contemporary Romance & Suspense
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 09:09:38 AM »
I have an author page on Facebook, and posted it there =3 Sadly, my viewers aren't so active.

You might need to warm them up a bit. I find that daily posts sharing memes or asking questions really helps. I try to schedule the live videos ahead of time (though with my health sometimes it's just easier for me to pop in). It works even better if I poll my readers and then schedule it for the most convenient time slot.

Connect With Me: BlogFacebook | Instagram | Amazon | Goodreads | Book+Main

Offline Spinneyhead

• Salford, England
    • View Profile
    • Spinneyhead
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 10:24:32 AM »
I did a weekly vlog for a while last year, and have just uploaded a new video, as I'm hoping to get it running again- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFSBVGg4pjcLSZJS0fxTByX7USWWezy9q

I'm going to go and have a look at AuthorTube now, to see what I can find on it.