Author Topic: Getting into the top sellers  (Read 1615 times)  

Offline KingHepburn

• View Profile
Getting into the top sellers
« on: June 16, 2017, 07:54:35 PM »
Are you looking to get your $0.99 PNR book into the top 2000's in terms of BSR?

I'm looking to sell solo shoutouts (Message me at "HEPBURAD@PERSIAPUBLISHING.COM" for more details. The ROI is very good for my promo as I am just starting out and trying to build a client base. Your book is expected to get at least 80 sales due to the shout out if the cover description and reviews are up to spec. I have a list of 16k very active subscribers (inactive subs are deleted monthly). PM me for details (the full amount will only have to be paid if you are satisfied with the results of the service)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 08:33:08 AM by KingHepburn »

Online PhoenixS

• View Profile
Re: Getting into the top sellers
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 09:19:55 PM »
Is there a reason you can't disclose the details publicly? Surely you're not growing your base by adding author emails who have to supply an email addy to simply get basic information such as the cost of the promo, pricing for the books, genres accepted, reviews needed, etc.

Can we see a sample shoutout so we can see how our books will be presented as well as the quality of both the email vehicle and the other books being accepted? Most of us like to take a peek at what we'll be paying for.

Do you have a website or other way for subscribers to sign up? How do they find out about the service? We have active readers here as well who will likely be interested in subscribing, but won't be willing to do so blindly.

16K is a pretty small list. Do you guarantee those same 80 sales across the board, for all types of PNR from sweet to steamy?

Thanks in advance for answering our questions about the service publicly here on the forum! Answering here once also helps you avoid having to answer the same questions dozens of times. Services such as yours are encouraged to maintain an active thread here.
  (click to enbiggen)

Offline M M

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 09:30:40 PM »
Is this your website?

http://persiapublishing.com/about/

How can you guarantee a certain number of sales?

Offline Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 10:12:02 PM »
Are you looking to get your $0.99 PNR book into the top 2000's in terms of BSR?

I'm looking to sell solo shoutouts (Message me at "HEPBURAD@PERSIAPUBLISHING.COM" for more details. The ROI is very good for my promo as I am just starting out and trying to build a client base. Your book is guaranteed to get at least 80 sales due to the shout out if the cover description and reviews are up to spec. I have a list of 16k very active subscribers (inactive subs are deleted monthly). PM me for details (the full amount will only have to be paid if you are satisfied with the results of the service)
How do you equate 16,000 subscribers with only listing books by three authors, all of whom seem to be the proprietors of the company? How do you guarantee sales? The word guarantee is scammy in itself, so please explain.

PS what is meant by 'reviews being up to spec'? How can one have reviews before the book is published? I may be dim, but that makes no sense to me.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 10:14:48 PM by Doglover »

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Newfies | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group | Book covers

Offline KingHepburn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 07:44:45 AM »
Reply to PhoenixS

What details would you like me to disclose publicly?

My shout outs are done through email. (Not on a Page) If you can send me your email I can provide you with a message preview.

Yes I do have a site for subscribers to sign up "http://persiapublishing.com/subscribe-to-romance/". The website was initially designed only to be a landing page for subscribers. However because of the power of my email list I decided to also start a service for some extra money on the side and to help out new authors.

16k is small but the service is only $30. You'll pay $15 up front and $15 after the service has been completed (if you are happy with the results). I clean out my list monthly so the open rates on emails are fairly high opposed to just slapping together a list of 55,000 people with only 10k active subscribers. Also because my authors that I manage are in PNR. All subscribers are aimed towards PNR and not any other genre.

Reply to M M

That is the site. As I said earlier. It was initially designed to only be a landing page for subscribers and nothing more. It's not yet set up to be a page to book appointments for solo shout outs because I am trying to sell the service to just a few people first to show that I have integrity before designing a page and driving traffic to my site.

Reply to Doglover

The 16,000 subscribers as a whole is shared between all three authors. It's strictly PNR.

It's actually my company. The authors are writing for me and I market them. They are employees in that all they do is write books so I can focus on the back end.

Before turning shout outs into a service I've swapped with multiple authors from public FB groups and private FB groups as well as the course I took on fiction book selling through Amazon. I can guarantee 80 sales because of the past history of the effectiveness of the shout outs. I explicitly state that the book has to be $0.99 because I cannot guarantee 80 sales or more if the book is priced at something like $2.99 or $3.99 like most authors do in order to get the 70% royalty on the sale.

*TIP* if you publish the paperback version of the book first. You can get reviews on the paperback and when the kindle is put up on Amazon and linked with the paperback then your book will already have reviews (assuming the reviews are good) your book will have more integrity to readers who receive your email for the first time to but your book. I also have to see the books cover to ensure that it's in line with the generic type of covers that attract readers in this genre. even though I've just started this service I've had to turn down books with ineffective covers because I cannot keep my guarantee with my audience and don't want to waste their money or lose integrity.

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 11:46:15 PM »

Reply to Doglover

The 16,000 subscribers as a whole is shared between all three authors. It's strictly PNR.

It's actually my company. The authors are writing for me and I market them. They are employees in that all they do is write books so I can focus on the back end.

Before turning shout outs into a service I've swapped with multiple authors from public FB groups and private FB groups as well as the course I took on fiction book selling through Amazon. I can guarantee 80 sales because of the past history of the effectiveness of the shout outs. I explicitly state that the book has to be $0.99 because I cannot guarantee 80 sales or more if the book is priced at something like $2.99 or $3.99 like most authors do in order to get the 70% royalty on the sale.

*TIP* if you publish the paperback version of the book first. You can get reviews on the paperback and when the kindle is put up on Amazon and linked with the paperback then your book will already have reviews (assuming the reviews are good) your book will have more integrity to readers who receive your email for the first time to but your book. I also have to see the books cover to ensure that it's in line with the generic type of covers that attract readers in this genre. even though I've just started this service I've had to turn down books with ineffective covers because I cannot keep my guarantee with my audience and don't want to waste their money or lose integrity.

Ok, a few things. Firstly, it is far more difficult to get sales with paperbacks than with kindle versions, yet you are saying that is the way to get reviews before the kindle version is published. Then you say, you cannot guarantee 80 sales if the book is priced higher than 0.99. These two statements contradict each other. It is also true that you shouldn't be able to guarantee a number of sales no matter how cheap they are, even if they are free. This raises red flags.

You might like to know, for future reference, that forums are there for people to answer; there is no need to send a pm as well.

Margaret Brazear | Newfies | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group | Book covers

Offline KingHepburn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 06:23:29 AM »
You might like to know, for future reference, that I'm not shouting out your paperbacks books... I'm shouting out the kindle.

My tip was to put the paperback up first. (this doesn't even need to sell) in order to gather reviews. So that when you release your kindle book. it'll have a bunch of reviews the first day instead of waiting to gather reviews on it. The goal isn't to sell paperbacks but just to make the kindle launch better.

Secondly. Not everyone is willing to spend $2.99 on a kindle book. So yes i can guarantee 80 sales if it is priced at $0.99 and priced at that only. The biggest sites genrecrave and romance readers have different guarantees for different prices. The statements don't contradict each other because basic marketing states lower prices = more sales.

Yes I can guarantee a number of sales because every single book that i've had a shout out for that had decent reviews and a decent cover in the past (probably includes 30 books) have gotten over 100 sales. I say 80 because i'm using a 20% margin of safety just in case someones book falls short of the average.

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 07:29:28 AM »

My tip was to put the paperback up first. (this doesn't even need to sell) in order to gather reviews.

The paperbacks don't need to sell to gather reviews. If they don't sell, they don't get read, but will still get reviews. Is that really what you are saying?

Offline Lee Sutherland

• Los Angeles, CA, USA
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 07:34:45 AM »
The paperbacks don't need to sell to gather reviews. If they don't sell, they don't get read, but will still get reviews. Is that really what you are saying?

I think he's talking about how authors have gotten reviews on new releases for a while by putting up the paperback first and sending out advanced copies so that when it launches you already have reviews.

Lee Sutherland | Twitter

Offline KingHepburn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 07:44:31 AM »
Thank you Lee. Having an ARC team is very important and yes that is what I was talking about.

Online PhoenixS

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 11:49:36 PM »

What details would you like me to disclose publicly?

Since you mentioned integrity in a comment above, as well as acknowledged the two other authors who are your 'employees' as you put it (which is kind of an odd way to phrase that; I certainly never thought of the authors who were part of our micropress to be employees), I think we'd love to understand why all of the "single titles" you publish say in their descriptions they "now contain" 6-9 bonus books, which seem to be the same books being swapped between them. I noticed the bonus books aren't showing up in the TOCs and aren't indicated on the covers. You may not realize that since these books are in KU, some folk might believe you're including those bonus books simply to pad out your page counts, in which case that intent along with the undifferentiated content would be in violation of Amazon's T&Cs.

I'm always on the lookout for effective places to advertise, but I certainly wouldn't want my account to be jeopardized by any association with someone attempting to game the very system my own books are competing in. Nor would I feel comfortable paying someone who was helping to drive down the amount of the payouts in that system. That would be ironic, wouldn't it?

What assurances can you offer, please, that my concern in that regard is unfounded?
  (click to enbiggen)

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 12:33:27 AM »
Thank you Lee. Having an ARC team is very important and yes that is what I was talking about.
Independent publishers don't send out paperbacks to an ARC team. Can you imagine how much that would cost? Obviously in this regard, you have no idea what you are talking about. We send e-books to an ARC list because it costs nothing. Traditional publishers might well still send out print copies, but not independent publishers.

So, it still makes no sense. Neither does your claim to guarantee a number of sales. It doesn't matter how cheap the book is or even if you are giving it away, you cannot guarantee that people will buy it. It might be likely, but not certain.

Offline Lady Runa

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 01:23:40 AM »
Persia Publishing is a company based in Canada looking to give authors an opportunity publish the books they would've otherwise thought possible through personal financing.

Sorry to be so nitpicking but this just doesn't sound right.  :-[

Storyteller

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 01:42:58 AM »
Persia Publishing is a company based in Canada looking to give authors an opportunity publish the books they would've otherwise thought possible through personal financing.

Sorry to be so nitpicking but this just doesn't sound right.  :-[
It doesn't read like something written by a best selling author, does it? One would expect a publishing company, boasting a guarantee of a minimum 80 sales, would at least be capable of stringing a sentence together on its own website.

Offline LMareeApps

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • not your nana's bedtime stories...
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 01:49:04 AM »
Independent publishers don't send out paperbacks to an ARC team. Can you imagine how much that would cost? Obviously in this regard, you have no idea what you are talking about. We send e-books to an ARC list because it costs nothing. Traditional publishers might well still send out print copies, but not independent publishers.

So, it still makes no sense. Neither does your claim to guarantee a number of sales. It doesn't matter how cheap the book is or even if you are giving it away, you cannot guarantee that people will buy it. It might be likely, but not certain.

I'm not making any comments about the OP/topic, but in regards to the paperback listing on Amazon, I believe what's trying to be explained is that people create a listing for the paperback format of the book. They the send out digital ARCs, and the readers are able to leave reviews on the paperback listing. Once the digital listing is live, it is linked with the paperback listing, thus allowing an 'instant' review count.  I haven't formatted my novel for paperback yet, so my understanding of this concept is based entirely on things other people have written...

L Maree Apps | website | facebook | twitter | wattpad | newsletter

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2017, 01:53:17 AM »
I'm not making any comments about the OP/topic, but in regards to the paperback listing on Amazon, I believe what's trying to be explained is that people create a listing for the paperback format of the book. They the send out digital ARCs, and the readers are able to leave reviews on the paperback listing. Once the digital listing is live, it is linked with the paperback listing, thus allowing an 'instant' review count.  I haven't formatted my novel for paperback yet, so my understanding of this concept is based entirely on things other people have written...
Well, that would make sense, except that is not what he said, is it? For someone trying to run a publishing company, he is doing a great job of relying on other people to explain his posts because he cannot do so himself. Doesn't bode well.

Of course, having an ARC team at all is difficult without a mailing list and a mailing list is difficult without e-books to link to and possibly give away. Either way, paperbacks do not really have a place. It is also true that those reviews would have no 'verified purchase' label attached.

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2017, 05:42:33 AM »
Arriving with water and peanuts, since I can't have popcorn. Just a note, but BookBub has millions of subscribers, and they don't guarantee minimum sales. They've been around for a while and are trusted, which is why they earn the big bucks.

I won't sign up for anything to see details. A service provider will either list it here, in the open, or on their site so we know exactly what we're getting up front. Forum decorum prohibits you from PMing information to people unsolicited.
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline KingHepburn

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2017, 08:17:48 AM »
Reply to Doglover:

All your replies are personal attacks so I will no longer reply to you. You are very defensive (for good reason as we are on the internet where many scams take place) but your comments are questionable. Setting up the paperback and sending out digital ARC copies is a rudimentary tactic to getting reviews; I would expect an author to know that.

Reply to Lady Runa:

I mentioned the page was just set up as a landing page. Everything else was thrown together. I just turned it into a website page not too long ago and to say the very least; website building is not my area of expertise.

Reply to PohenixS:

All I do is shout out your book. I do not alter the content. Amazon have addressed bonus books and encourage. They do not end up paying more for it anyways. What they do discourage and are thinking about getting rid of is Box-Sets (this is something I've heard as a rumor amongst friends so if I am wrong please correct me). Regardless as long as your book is not going against the TOS then your integrity is kept.

Reply to She-la-ti-da:

I never mentioned book-bub... What do you want listed? I asked twice and no one has given me an answer to what they want listed... Again it's my first time posting and no one replied to my comment 24 hours after I listed it so I PM'D... Won't happen again so I should get no more grief from that.

Reply to ALL:

It's my first time posting on this forum to get my first "paying customers" so change the original post from "guaranteed" to "expected sales" since everyone is very nit picky.

Online MClayton

• Florida
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2017, 08:32:00 AM »

It's my first time posting on this forum to get my first "paying customers" so change the original post from "guaranteed" to "expected sales" since everyone is very nit picky.

You can modify your original post - just look for the link at the top right corner of your post. IMHO, the wording should definitely be changed. There's a huge difference between "guaranteeing" and "expecting," and if you leave it as is and an ad doesn't hit the "guaranteed" number, you'll be dealing with a lot of disgruntled authors wanting refunds. That's not being nit picky; that's expecting to get what you pay for.

Offline KingHepburn

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2017, 08:33:39 AM »
Thank you MClayton,

Now how do I reply directly to a part of a post like you did (The dark blue)

Online MClayton

• Florida
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2017, 08:36:00 AM »
Thank you MClayton,

Now how do I reply directly to a part of a post like you did (The dark blue)

There's a little "quote" box, also on the top right. Click that on the post you're wanting to quote, and it'll put it (the quoted post) in your comment box.

Edited for clarity.

Offline KingHepburn

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2017, 08:40:00 AM »
There's a little "quote" box, also on the top right. Click that on the post you're wanting to quote, and it'll put it (the quoted post) in your comment box.

Edited for clarity.

Thank you so much :). Now I know everyone is weary about the service but again. I'm just starting out. It's $15 to book and $15 if you're happy with the service. It's expected to get 80 sales and I'm hoping to get at least one person so they can reply to the post saying that I have integrity. Again I have to look over the quality of the cover and the reviews in order to ensure that it fits my audience (much like how romance readers does it) to ensure that I can provide the best bang for your buck instead of sending out a dud email and taking your money.

Offline blubarry

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2017, 08:40:32 AM »
Well, that would make sense, except that is not what he said, is it? For someone trying to run a publishing company, he is doing a great job of relying on other people to explain his posts because he cannot do so himself. Doesn't bode well.

Of course, having an ARC team at all is difficult without a mailing list and a mailing list is difficult without e-books to link to and possibly give away. Either way, paperbacks do not really have a place. It is also true that those reviews would have no 'verified purchase' label attached.

The reason for the paperback is to have a placeholder for reviews to appear prior to launch of the ebook. Many authors do this with their ARCs.

Offline KingHepburn

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2017, 08:42:28 AM »
The reason for the paperback is to have a placeholder for reviews to appear prior to launch of the ebook. Many authors do this with their ARCs.

Yeah. You do this because you want everyone to buy your book within the same 2 day span because of the algorithms of Amazon. This allows you to get a better BSR which hopefully leads to easier sustainability as well as more organic sales and reach.

Offline BellaJames

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2017, 11:29:15 AM »

This very subject was discussed before on kboards http://www.kboards.com/index.php?topic=238551.0

Romance author Chance Carter does this and with his healthy list of subscribers and fans he manages to get something like 400 reviews in the first couple weeks. If you watch the video, go to 19 minutes where he discusses it.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERoQcWAviUI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERoQcWAviUI</a>

Offline BellaJames

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2017, 11:39:51 AM »
Thank you so much :). Now I know everyone is weary about the service but again. I'm just starting out. It's $15 to book and $15 if you're happy with the service. It's expected to get 80 sales and I'm hoping to get at least one person so they can reply to the post saying that I have integrity. Again I have to look over the quality of the cover and the reviews in order to ensure that it fits my audience (much like how romance readers does it) to ensure that I can provide the best bang for your buck instead of sending out a dud email and taking your money.

I said this on another thread where a new member is trying to drum up business for their new service too. Here http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,242755.0.html

If you are going to start a new business and ask people to pay for it, you have to be honest, professional and 100% transparent. Don't promise something you cannot deliver. Set up your site completely, add clear instructions, add a FAQ page and make it very clear what people are paying for.

Offline LadyG

• Michigan
    • View Profile
    • A Goode One
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2017, 11:40:59 AM »
Reply to Doglover:

All your replies are personal attacks so I will no longer reply to you. You are very defensive (for good reason as we are on the internet where many scams take place) but your comments are questionable. Setting up the paperback and sending out digital ARC copies is a rudimentary tactic to getting reviews; I would expect an author to know that.

Oddly enough, I don't really think Doglover's comments are the most questionable things being said here.

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2017, 01:55:23 AM »

I said this on another thread where a new member is trying to drum up business for their new service too. Here http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,242755.0.html

If you are going to start a new business and ask people to pay for it, you have to be honest, professional and 100% transparent. Don't promise something you cannot deliver. Set up your site completely, add clear instructions, add a FAQ page and make it very clear what people are paying for.

He also needs to know the difference between wary and weary. Certainly changing guaranteed to expected gives credibility but thinking that every question is a personal attack is very amateurish.

The company is expecting all these sales, yet it has only three authors on its list and only 16,000 subscribers to its mailing list. While the paperback first thing makes sense, it doesn't change the fact that it took two other posters to explain what was meant. That is not a personal attack; that is common sense.

Offline BellaJames

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2017, 02:35:44 AM »
He also needs to know the difference between wary and weary. Certainly changing guaranteed to expected gives credibility but thinking that every question is a personal attack is very amateurish.

The company is expecting all these sales, yet it has only three authors on its list and only 16,000 subscribers to its mailing list. While the paperback first thing makes sense, it doesn't change the fact that it took two other posters to explain what was meant. That is not a personal attack; that is common sense.

I agree with the first part of your comment.

Maybe they are taking it as a personal attack because they were not expecting authors to question their service. Maybe they thought it would be as easy as posting a new service on here and getting easy customers.

Be clear, include instructions and a faq's page. Make sure the full price of your service is included and explain what customers are paying for. Don't give false hope and guarantee a certain amount of downloads or sales. Go over your site and check that it looks good, is it easy to use and find everything? Please check for spelling mistakes.

The fact is there are two new services posted on here in the last week that are questionable.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 02:41:07 AM by BellaJames »

Offline KingHepburn

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2017, 08:27:20 AM »
Interesting.

Alright. I will set up my page and take the feedback from this post and put it to good work. Anyways I'll leave you with the last 3 books I shouted out.

Take a look at the published dates and the BSR. They got me to shout out their book on the first day it was live and it did extremely well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072NHY8QX
https://www.amazon.com/B071L2PSJD/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072KWPPRG/

You will hear back from me again with an improved pitch :)