KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: Library books on Kindle  (Read 700 times)  

Offline Someone Nameless

• View Profile
Library books on Kindle
« on: June 18, 2017, 11:32:01 AM »
I've always read library books on my Kindle but my library changed the format and now it's Axis 360.  Is anyone familiar with that?  It no longer works with my Kindle.   :-[
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~ Groucho Marx

Offline Muddypawz

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
Re: Library books on Kindle
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 04:26:15 PM »
Can you download the library book to your computer and do a manual/side load install to your Kindle?  It's not as convenient as downloading it wirelessly but is at least doable.

Offline Someone Nameless

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 04:58:25 PM »
Well, that's the problem.  It's not in a format Kindle can read.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~ Groucho Marx

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 05:10:20 PM »
Sounds like your library dropped overdrive in favor of Axis. Unfortunately, one needs a tablet/phone and read those books through the axis app. You can complain to your library and maybe in the future they'll get overdrive back. Some have done that when they got enough complaints from patrons.

Sorry.  :(

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline rlkubi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 06:50:02 PM »
I would definitely complain!  I read a lot of Kindle books from the library!

Offline Muddypawz

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 07:20:32 PM »
I've always read library books on my Kindle but my library changed the format and now it's Axis 360.  Is anyone familiar with that?  It no longer works with my Kindle.   :-[

Unless I'm mistaken, it looks like ebooks downloaded through the Axis 360 system are in either ePub or PDF format.  There's a terrific (free) program for your computer called Calibre that can convert these formats into several others, including mobi or azw, for your Kindle.  You download the library book to your computer then import it into Calibre.  Convert the book/file to your desired format in Calibre, then with your Kindle connected to your computer, transfer the book to your Kindle.  I'm not really up on DRM restrictions but I think this should work.

Good luck!

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 07:43:22 PM »
That won't work without actually removing drm. Can't convert a drm book in calibre without it. And I don't think one can pull those books out of Axis to do such a thing.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline Muddypawz

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 09:02:58 PM »
Darn.  Thanks, Atunah.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 03:33:43 AM »
As Atunah has noted -- your library has apparently dropped Overdrive for this other system. And the DRM inherent in library books is probably not going to allow for downloading and converting to a kindle compatible file format without violating TOS to strip the DRM.

An alternative is to see what OTHER libraries you may be able to belong to. For example, I'm in Arlington VA, but there are arrangements with many surrounding library systems that allow me to be members of them as well. So I also belong to Fairfax County, Mary Stiles (city of Falls Church), and city of Alexandria. I could, as well, belong to the DC public library system and the Maryland public library system and probably a few others in Virginia as well.

In each case, I basically just had to prove that I was allowed to belong by proving my current address. I have to go back in every year or two to confirm it. Now, if you're pretty rural, that could end up being more trouble than it's worth, but it might be worth looking into. One of the libraries I joined didn't even require a physical visit -- they mailed me my card and the fact that they mailed it to a vaild address was proof enough.

For me, it expands what's available. Not all libraries get all books. Frequently I've gone looking for a book and it's been available in some libraries but not others. OR, you might have to get on a wait list in one system, but in another it's available to borrow immediately. If you're registered with the main overdrive site, you can list the libraries that you belong to and jump directly to them when you go to borrow. Even if you do have to go on hold everywhere, chances are they come available at different times -- so you also get the benefit of effectively having a longer checkout period. So if you only get 2 weeks and you're not finished, you don't have to turn the kindle off to keep it because you know you'll be getting to the front of the queue from some other library soon.

ALSO, if you are military or retired or a spouse, check into the service libraries. I can borrow from the Navy system and there's an Air Force system as well. And there are a some 'big city' libraries that are open to anyone -- New York Public Library and Philadelphia Free library come to mind, though for certain non-local subscribers there is a yearly fee. Still, they're huge systems so it might be worth that cost if you local isn't working for you.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 03:35:31 AM by Ann in Arlington »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR