Author Topic: What happens from readers' perspective when I opt out of Select?  (Read 387 times)  

Offline Mercedes Vox

• View Profile
    • Mercedes Vox - Romance Provocateur
No matter how I phrase my search, I can't seem to find an answer to this question.

Let's say I have a book enrolled in Select, and I choose to opt out before it auto-renews. If the last day of enrollment is, for instance, July 15, what happens to people who have downloaded the book but aren't finished with it yet? Does it instantly poof from their devices on July 16?

Mercedes Vox | Website | Twitter

Romance provocateur. Manic stealth author. Fearless gourmet. An epicurean anarchist relentlessly in pursuit of a foolproof cure for ennui. Committed (thrice).

Online Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
  • Storyteller and Cat Minion
    • View Profile
    • Ineti Press
Re: What happens from readers' perspective when I opt out of Select?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 07:04:32 AM »
Pretty sure it sits on their Kindle until they get around to reading it and deleting it or returning it. If it was in KU, it'll stay on the Kindle and you'll still get page reads on your dashboard even if the book is out of Select. I haven't kept a KU book on my Kindle long enough to find out what happens if the author pulls it from select, so that's just a guess.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 07:05:34 AM »
You mean having it in KU and then taking it out? the books stay on the account and kindles of the KU subscribers that have downloaded it via KU. It stays in the account to be send to any device until they return it. I have a few KU borrows I have had since a year and a half. They are still in my account and kindle, but the books have been removed from KU over a year ago.
Of course if they stop the subscription, it also goes away. Otherwise, not until one actively returns the borrow.

eta: deleting it from the kindle only does that. It does not return a borrowed book. That has to be done either from the account or during the checkout of a new KU title, in case the 10 slots are already taken.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 07:07:14 AM by Atunah »

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline Mercedes Vox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 07:10:04 AM »
Pretty sure it sits on their Kindle until they get around to reading it and deleting it or returning it. If it was in KU, it'll stay on the Kindle and you'll still get page reads on your dashboard even if the book is out of Select. I haven't kept a KU book on my Kindle long enough to find out what happens if the author pulls it from select, so that's just a guess.

That's what I thought, but I couldn't find it documented anywhere. I'm opting out of Select for my short stories and novellas, and it occurred to me that as a reader I would get pretty honked off if a book I'd invested time in suddenly disappeared.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Romance provocateur. Manic stealth author. Fearless gourmet. An epicurean anarchist relentlessly in pursuit of a foolproof cure for ennui. Committed (thrice).

Offline Mercedes Vox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 07:11:04 AM »
You mean having it in KU and then taking it out? the books stay on the account and kindles of the KU subscribers that have downloaded it via KU. It stays in the account to be send to any device until they return it. I have a few KU borrows I have had since a year and a half. They are still in my account and kindle, but the books have been removed from KU over a year ago.
Of course if they stop the subscription, it also goes away. Otherwise, not until one actively returns the borrow.

eta: deleting it from the kindle only does that. It does not return a borrowed book. That has to be done either from the account or during the checkout of a new KU title, in case the 10 slots are already taken.

As I suspected. Thanks for the reinforcement!  :)

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
    • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 11:08:41 AM »
Definitely, it stays. I had my Guide in Select for 90 days last summer, and I had a bunch of pages-read in March.

The more intractable problem, for the writer of genre fiction, is that when you leave Select, you drop off the radar of KU subscribers (who, having invested $10/month, are unlikely actually buy a book, no matter how much they like you).
Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Offline Mercedes Vox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 12:39:43 PM »
Definitely, it stays. I had my Guide in Select for 90 days last summer, and I had a bunch of pages-read in March.

The more intractable problem, for the writer of genre fiction, is that when you leave Select, you drop off the radar of KU subscribers (who, having invested $10/month, are unlikely actually buy a book, no matter how much they like you).

I'm leaving Select/KU only with my short stories and shorter novellas. At the recent KENP payout rates, I'm leaving money on the table by not using Pronoun to get the 70% royalty rate from Amazon on shorts priced under $2.99 and going wide. Select/KU was a first-time experiment for me. Worked out great for most of my novels, but not so much for the shorts.

I w