Author Topic: Short story collection cover advice  (Read 411 times)  

Online Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
Short story collection cover advice
« on: June 19, 2017, 08:17:46 AM »
I'm updating one of my short story collection paperbacks to include my latest Amazon-exclusive novelette, and I've updated the cover as well.

Warmache is pronounced "War-mock," and it's the name of the sentient ax on the cover.

I'll update the digital-only cover with whatever we end up doing here. Obviously, the "and other stories" won't be on there, since the KU version of Warmache won't gave red extra stories. This paperback is only available fir purchase directly from me at an event or apperance.

Is the "& Other Stories" on the spine too close to the title? Any thoughts? Complaints? Suggestions? (snipped for latest version)

Based on Griffin Carmichael/she-la-ti-da's suggestion, here's another option to consider... (snipped for latest version)

I could also add "And Other Stories" from the second option to the first, but the spine has "& Other Stories." Is that an issue?

Should I increase the height of "Warmache" on the cover to match the spine height of the author name, and the barcode on the back?

I've shifted the art up to kill a little bit of the dead space and to have more yellow behind my author name.

creativeparamita: Do you still think that the white text on the spine needs to be on a single line? What about everyone else?

LATEST VERSION:

Previous Version:
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 04:19:28 PM by Mark Gardner »

Online she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
Re: Short story collection cover advice
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 08:56:32 AM »
To be honest, there's a lot of blank space up top where I'd put the title, at least. Or the author name. That's a creepy... thing there. shiver
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Online Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 09:21:09 AM »
To be honest, there's a lot of blank space up top where I'd put the title, at least. Or the author name. That's a creepy... thing there. shiver

I've updated the first post with an alternate version based on your suggestion. Thoughts?

Offline Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 12:11:11 PM »
I like the second one. I think you need '& other stories' on the front cover so readers know it's not a novel. You could leave a bit more space on the spine.
What does Warmache mean? I thought at first it said war machine  ::)

Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Offline Laran Mithras

• Butte MT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 12:32:41 PM »
Yep, second one.

Run your author name across the top to at least balance the width of the title below.

Offline Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 12:43:13 PM »
I like the second one. I think you need '& other stories' on the front cover so readers know it's not a novel. You could leave a bit more space on the spine.

I thought so too. Definitely put & other stories on the front cover. And yes, you do need more space on the spine between Warmache and & other stories.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Online Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 12:49:23 PM »
I've updated the original post with the latest version. Should I increase the height of "Warmache" to match the spine height of the author name, and the barcode on the back? Any more suggestions?
Yep, second one.

Run your author name across the top to at least balance the width of the title below.
I thought so too. Definitely put & other stories on the front cover. And yes, you do need more space on the spine between Warmache and & other stories.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 12:57:24 PM by Mark Gardner »

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 02:37:47 PM »
I've updated the original post with the latest version. Should I increase the height of "Warmache" to match the spine height of the author name, and the barcode on the back? Any more suggestions?

The only place I think you need to increase the height is your name on the front cover.

Offline Laran Mithras

• Butte MT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 03:06:39 PM »
The only place I think you need to increase the height is your name on the front cover.

I pretty much second that. The width now balances perfectly. Excellent. But the space of the picture...

It is certainly a great picture. Maybe consider shifting it upwards? Increasing the height font of WARMACHE and then also maybe doubling the height of your name-font.

In a thumbnail, most of the look will be yellow and black. Make your title rip out of a thumbnail with ease. Also, making your name too small delivers a message that the author is unimportant. It might be unimportant to you, but make your name part of your "brand" - because it is.  ;)

so far, you cover changes are definite improvements.

Offline creativeparamita

• Want an awesome book cover? Let me help you :)
    • View Profile
    • Book Cover Design
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 03:13:37 PM »
These are the suggestion I believe can make the design more effective and attractive, something I would have done.
The spacing between the characters in your name should be reduced a bit in the front cover, that will make it more visible at the moment I am have trouble reading first 'M' and last 'R'
Name of the Book and subtitle should be adjusted accordingly and a little bit breathing space between them may be a good idea.

In the spine you should not break the subtitle in two lines rather have it in a single line and present it in the center, reduce the title size by a tiny bit and that should do the trick.

Offline Laran Mithras

• Butte MT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 03:36:57 PM »
Shifting the picture upwards would expand the yellow zone a bit for your name impact and then also raise the axe above the title.

Online Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 03:44:44 PM »
Thank you all! I've updated the original post with the latest. I'm still gunning for suggestions...

creativeparamita: Do you still think that the white text on the spine needs to be on a single line?
I pretty much second that. The width now balances perfectly. Excellent. But the space of the picture...

It is certainly a great picture. Maybe consider shifting it upwards? Increasing the height font of WARMACHE and then also maybe doubling the height of your name-font.

In a thumbnail, most of the look will be yellow and black. Make your title rip out of a thumbnail with ease. Also, making your name too small delivers a message that the author is unimportant. It might be unimportant to you, but make your name part of your "brand" - because it is.  ;)

so far, you cover changes are definite improvements.
Shifting the picture upwards would expand the yellow zone a bit for your name impact and then also raise the axe above the title.
These are the suggestion I believe can make the design more effective and attractive, something I would have done.
The spacing between the characters in your name should be reduced a bit in the front cover, that will make it more visible at the moment I am have trouble reading first 'M' and last 'R'
Name of the Book and subtitle should be adjusted accordingly and a little bit breathing space between them may be a good idea.

In the spine you should not break the subtitle in two lines rather have it in a single line and present it in the center, reduce the title size by a tiny bit and that should do the trick.

Offline creativeparamita

• Want an awesome book cover? Let me help you :)
    • View Profile
    • Book Cover Design
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 04:04:18 PM »
Thank you all! I've updated the original post with the latest. I'm still gunning for suggestions...

creativeparamita: Do you still think that the white text on the spine needs to be on a single line?

I like the way you have increase the size of the texts in the front, its ways more readable now, looks perfect.
In the spine if you don't want to write in a single line at least try using '&' in a line and other two words broken in two lines as below.

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 04:11:17 PM »
Looks good!

Offline acapellabookcoverdesign

• Hogwarts
  • Book cover designer
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio of Book Cover Designs
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 05:05:58 PM »
I like it! The image is creepy in a good way and making more black makes the title pop out more.

Online she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2017, 05:28:28 PM »
Hm. I liked the picture as it was positioned, and I would have put the title up there (with the sub title). But, that's me. I'm odd. Not fond of how you have the author name spaced out so, it could be kerned closer and made a titch larger.

Anyway, improving from the first one, for sure!
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline Greg Banks

• GA
  • Also known by the pseudonym "Drew Griot".
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Griot
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2017, 06:13:46 PM »
I prefer the second cover, but I like the bolder treatment of the author's name on the first cover.
Free content:

Paid content:

My Websites:
WebsiteBlog | TwitterFacebook | Art Portfolio

Online Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2017, 06:14:31 PM »
I may try to position the title at the top. That'll definitely be better for displaying in the rack at events:

Hm. I liked the picture as it was positioned, and I would have put the title up there (with the sub title). But, that's me. I'm odd. Not fond of how you have the author name spaced out so, it could be kerned closer and made a titch larger.

Anyway, improving from the first one, for sure!

Online Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2017, 06:16:17 PM »
I prefer the second cover, but I like the bolder treatment of the author's name on the first cover.
Hey, Greg, just the image positioning? Didja see your Paradox cover on the back?