KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: Garner/Hamilton Lawsuit - Status Update (Oct 27) - p14, #345  (Read 68369 times)  

Online GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
Re: Garner/Hamilton/QBW Services Lawsuit Now In Progress
« Reply #100 on: August 22, 2017, 10:56:29 AM »
In my day job, I used to have to research business customers for reasons various and sundry (usually pertaining to money laundering) and I can't tell you how many times I came up on legal mailing addresses that were UPS or Mailboxes Etc (i don't know if those still exist) or the USPS. People will put down the postal address and call the box "apt.#" and it works. That's above and beyond the business entity agents that I think is the only functional purpose of the entire state of Delaware.

Online PhoenixS

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 22, 2017, 10:57:09 AM »
Oh, and when she filed for the LLC, she named herself Registered Agent and agreed to accept service of process at the UPS store address:

http://search.sunbiz.org/Inquiry/CorporationSearch/ConvertTiffToPDF?storagePath=COR%5C2014%5C0827%5C60767926.tif&documentNumber=L14000134201

ETA: Florida also seems to require a Registered Agent who's a person (which Shana, the Reg Agent is, I believe, and not an entity, like QBW Services is) to actually live in the state. Which RH had already moved to Georgia when she filed her 2017 Report (linked in the post above). There are no further public docs that I found showing she had changed her Registered Agent to someone residing in Florida.
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?mode=View+Statutes&SubMenu=1&App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=605.0113&URL=0600-0699%2F0605%2FSections%2F0605.0113.html
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 11:22:57 AM by PhoenixS »

Offline boba1823

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 22, 2017, 11:20:15 AM »
I'm super late to the party, and a little confused about the general background on all this since I'm still a publishing noob - so please feel free to ignore me if this is too basic:

What's the deal with this basic type of promotional service that is being discussed? You let them put your book into a huge box set, pay them several thousands dollars, they [insert some kind of magic] to get it on the NYT Bestseller list and then you're able to put "From New York Times Best Selling Author Diddly Wooks" on all of your book covers? Or am I misunderstanding something?

If that's roughly accurate, is this a legitimate (i.e. not against the rules) promotional model and there are only some bad apples, or are all such promotions scammy?

Offline ChristinaGarner

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
    • ChristinaGarner.com
« Reply #103 on: August 22, 2017, 11:28:04 AM »
I'm super late to the party, and a little confused about the general background on all this since I'm still a publishing noob - so please feel free to ignore me if this is too basic:

What's the deal with this basic type of promotional service that is being discussed? You let them put your book into a huge box set, pay them several thousands dollars, they [insert some kind of magic] to get it on the NYT Bestseller list and then you're able to put "From New York Times Best Selling Author Diddly Wooks" on all of your book covers? Or am I misunderstanding something?

If that's roughly accurate, is this a legitimate (i.e. not against the rules) promotional model and there are only some bad apples, or are all such promotions scammy?

Because topics about the person being discussed in this thread (and currently in litigation with me) tend to get heated, the mods have asked we keep the focus of this thread strictly on the case, so please understand if we are reluctant to answer about box sets in general.

There are a lot of factors to deciding if a box set is something right for an author and if the tactics being used to sell a specific set line up with that author's integrity. This thread is a monster but will shed light on what we have been discussing in this thread: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,250491.0.html

Offline evdarcy

• Cheshire, UK
    • View Profile
    • My Author Site
« Reply #104 on: August 22, 2017, 12:07:00 PM »
Thanks for keeping us informed, Christina (and keeping it classy!). 

E. V. Darcy | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Blog

Offline loraininflorida

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 22, 2017, 12:19:16 PM »
It's a long process so it's a good idea to pace your expectations. After you get service, jurisdiction, and venue hammered out, you're likely to then get a Motion to Dismiss for Failure to State a Cause of Action. After you get the judge to dump that, then you are likely to get an Answer that simply says "Denied" fifty times. Then you move into Discovery, the deadlines of which many Defendants ignore --not to mention failing to provide the stuff you've demanded. (I sued a Florida State Agency once and discovered that before they provided me with the documents I'd demanded in Discovery, they took a bottle of White-Out and changed a crucial document to say the opposite of what it did.) Eventually though, you get there (usually via court-ordered Mediation). Of course by then most everyone is so pooped out all either side wants to do is settle.  :-\
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 12:21:12 PM by loraininflorida »

Lorain O'Neil

Online MyraScott

• South Carolina
  • Ideas are worth nothing until implemented
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 25, 2017, 05:27:38 AM »
I have to wonder at a legal system that favors the wealthy... you shouldn't have to mortgage your soul to file a legal case but that is how it is.  This is why people get away with shoddy business practices and taking advantage... if you are willing to put up with the intimidation and take things to court, the costs are soooo much more than the original contract.

In order to keep prosecuting this case, Christina needs more funds.  If you want to help, here's the fundraiser: https://gogetfunding.com/it-takes-a-community-to-take-down-a-scammer/

No one should sign up for book promotions and spend the next year in litigation. Christina has had to take a full-time job to cover the legal fees. She's not asking us to foot the bill... she just can't do this on her own.  No one should be bullied over a business contract.

While the defendant can whip up more courses, help books and box sets in order to afford this endless litigation,  Christina is using the money she set aside to take time off and write this year to fight this case.  This could have been settled at any point but instead it is being drawn out, costing thousands.   The defendant has no choice but to delay because she doesn't want the evidence in public files.  She doesn't want her business associates to have to testify under oath. Facebook will provide a lot of written proof and nothing is ever really deleted.  Her only hope is to stop it from ever getting that far, to tie up the process until Christina's money runs out.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 05:56:17 AM by MyraScott »

Offline Perry Constantine

• Matsuyama
  • Action Fiction Author
    • View Profile
    • Percival Constantine - Action Fiction Author
« Reply #107 on: August 25, 2017, 05:53:24 AM »
I just donated some more. Sorry I can't afford to donate more. Keep up the good fight, Christina!

Online thesmallprint

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 25, 2017, 06:46:31 AM »
Am trying to donate but keep getting message that payment can't be processed at this time.

Given the anguish this has caused (witness the very long thread that predates the court case) it would be a travesty if Christina had to give way, having simply been ground down financially and emotionally in such a calculated manner.  A defeat for Christina through overall exhaustion would leave the 'winner' feeling unbeatable and all-powerful in the march forward.

Sadly, nobody can donate energy and emotional reserves to Christina, but a few dollars will help show support and take some of the strain.  In a way, this is for all of us...all of us.

Offline Silly Writer

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 25, 2017, 07:03:59 AM »
Donated again. Wish it could be more... but if everyone who's been hurt by this person/business (just on this board) pitches in even a little, we could meet this goal a dozen times.

Good luck, Christina. You're certainly taking one for the team here, and you're held up as a hero in many places that Indies convene. Keep fighting!

Edited to add donation link for others to find easier: https://gogetfunding.com/it-takes-a-community-to-take-down-a-scammer/
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 07:17:58 AM by Silly Writer »

Offline evdarcy

• Cheshire, UK
    • View Profile
    • My Author Site
« Reply #110 on: August 25, 2017, 07:27:16 AM »
I did what I could - stay classy, lady.  We're with you x

E. V. Darcy | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Blog

Offline inconsequential

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 25, 2017, 07:30:26 AM »
I donated what I could. I'll go back later and donate more if possible.

You're in my thoughts and prayers, often. Thank you for your commitment to this, and for keeping us updated.

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
Re: Garner/Hamilton Lawsuit - see Myra's update page 5, reply #106
« Reply #112 on: August 25, 2017, 08:20:48 AM »
I donated. Ideally, everyone in the indie community who cares about the integrity of the system will pitch in a little. Unfortunately, everybody isn't on Kboards, but there must be hundreds of people here who fit that description.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Online LilyBLily

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 25, 2017, 08:32:45 AM »
Donated. Wish it was more.

Offline Donna White Glaser

• The final mystery is oneself. -Oscar Wilde
    • View Profile
    • Donna White Glaser
« Reply #114 on: August 25, 2017, 08:39:04 AM »
Added another drop to the pot.
  Suspense with a Dash of Humor

Online Rick Gualtieri

• NJ
  • Renaissance Geek
    • View Profile
    • RickGualtieri.com
« Reply #115 on: August 25, 2017, 09:10:43 AM »
Donated. Stay strong, Christina. Keep up the good fight. Fingers crossed you get your day in court and can get back to writing and selling books.

Making fantasy fun again, one corpse at a time
Rick Gualtieri | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Bill The Vampire on Facebook | YouTube

Offline lilywhite

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 25, 2017, 09:27:58 AM »
Donated again. I'll try to do this every couple of weeks.

I'm trying to write my feelings about this situation, and nothing I type is going to make it past the mods, so I'll just say: This is unbelievable.

Offline ChristinaGarner

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
    • ChristinaGarner.com
« Reply #117 on: August 25, 2017, 11:43:49 AM »
I just wanted to say a very heartfelt thank you for the donations as well as the very kind words. So much of this process has been ugly, but the support I've received from all of you is beautiful. Thank you, and please, no more comments about wishing it was more. Generosity doesn't come with a price tag and you all have been generous beyond measure. <3

Offline K.B.

• Ohio
  • Something in the way
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 25, 2017, 01:12:18 PM »
Christina,

You are incredibly strong and brave, and I know that I wouldn't have the fortitude in your shoes. She's never done anything to me personally, although I have a feeling all of the newsletters in my inbox that I didn't sign up for are from her businesses, but I've seen her attack, defame, and demean others for years. More than anything, at the end of this, I hope you find peace and have the strength to continue publishing. We're all standing behind you and I wish I wasn't in such a crappy financial situation right now so I could contribute something other than words.

Keep up the good fight!
KB

K.B. Nelson | Website | Twitter | Facebook

Offline Sapphire

• Omaha NE
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 25, 2017, 01:19:04 PM »
Donated today, too.

Offline Elizabeth Ann West

• Schenectady, NY
  • Our doubts are traitors...
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 25, 2017, 01:32:22 PM »
I've been donating each month what I can. :)

For me, this IS about a very clear message to ANY service provider that sees authors as a resource to fleece. And I've seen it many times since 2011... If the community supports Christina, it sends the message that we are not as vulnerable as they think. They can't just take the few thousand dollars and know it would cost more to sue so they can get away with whatever.

No refunds when service is not provided as originally outlined is absurd to me. And I say that as a former book marketer. People here on Kboards can attest, I never denied anyone a refund for any reason. I planned it in my business plan like all of retail has to do. No one should have to sue for a refund.

Jane-of-all-trades, mistress to none!
Elizabeth Ann West | Read My Stories Free!

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns."
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #121 on: August 25, 2017, 02:33:25 PM »
If it's a waiting game to see who runs out of money first, let's not let that happen. I just kicked in another thousand. Please continue to keep us posted.
NINC President-Elect, 2018. My Amazon Bestselling, ten-volume Jesse McDermitt Series and the spinoff,  three-volume Charity Styles Series, also Amazon Bestsellers, are available in ebook, audiobook, and paperback, with many more exciting adventures to come. In my motivational non-fiction, Blue Collar to No Collar, I provide tips, advice, and strategies for new authors, and is also available in the same formats. Don't forget to visit the Ship's Store for Jesse McDermitt swag.
Semper Fi,
Wayne Stinnett | Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Amazon Author Page | Motivational Videos | Down Island Press | Ship's Store Swag

Offline Usedtoposthere

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 25, 2017, 02:43:01 PM »
Donated.

Note that in addition to the $10,000+ Christina raised in A SINGLE DAY the first time around, authors have donated over $15,000 more this time! Over 200 donations just this time. That tells you something about how the community feels about what happened. (Not saying more because not the place & all that, but if you don't know--go read the old threads. And caveat emptor at this point. If you're considering a promo--Google is your friend. )

Go get 'em, Christina. I know it's exhausting and so expensive, but it's a good fight.

Online MyraScott

• South Carolina
  • Ideas are worth nothing until implemented
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 25, 2017, 02:52:46 PM »
This is the same fund, so $10K of this money is already spent.  She's trying to raise $25K total, so another $15K on top of the first amount.

But it's a great turnout so far- $5K today is amazing!!

Offline Usedtoposthere

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 25, 2017, 03:03:06 PM »
This is the same fund, so $10K of this money is already spent.  She's trying to raise $25K total, so another $15K on top of the first amount.

But it's a great turnout so far- $5K today is amazing!!
Oh--thanks for clarifying! I thought it was in addition. But 5K today IS great!