Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?

Author Topic: Hamilton Lawsuit, discussion & funding -- merged thread.  (Read 96552 times)  

Online Monique

• California
    • View Profile
    • Written by Monique
Re: Garner/Hamilton Lawsuit - see Myra's update page 5, reply #106
« Reply #125 on: August 25, 2017, 03:44:36 PM »
Great to see so many helping out, many for a second time.

If it's a waiting game to see who runs out of money first, let's not let that happen. I just kicked in another thousand. Please continue to keep us posted.

Very generous of you, Wayne! :)

Monique Martin | author website | facebook | twitter

Offline Boyd

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 25, 2017, 06:41:07 PM »
Donated.  Please keep us updated Christina!

Offline Perry Constantine

• Japan
  • Action Fiction Author
    • View Profile
    • Percival Constantine - Action Fiction Author
« Reply #127 on: August 25, 2017, 08:57:28 PM »
If it's a waiting game to see who runs out of money first, let's not let that happen. I just kicked in another thousand. Please continue to keep us posted.

I nominate Wayne for Indie Author Sainthood. This is amazing.

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 26, 2017, 05:17:14 AM »
I nominate Wayne for Indie Author Sainthood. This is amazing.

Seriously. Wayne, you're awesome (and everyone else who's contributed are just as awesome, no matter what amount)! Little amounts add up, and I can only give a little myself but I'll do it to see justice done, not only for Christina, but for everyone who's been dealt with like this.
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #129 on: August 26, 2017, 09:58:09 AM »
I've been donating each month what I can. :)

For me, this IS about a very clear message to ANY service provider that sees authors as a resource to fleece. And I've seen it many times since 2011... If the community supports Christina, it sends the message that we are not as vulnerable as they think. They can't just take the few thousand dollars and know it would cost more to sue so they can get away with whatever.

No refunds when service is not provided as originally outlined is absurd to me. And I say that as a former book marketer. People here on Kboards can attest, I never denied anyone a refund for any reason. I planned it in my business plan like all of retail has to do. No one should have to sue for a refund.
That's a good way to think about this issue. It isn't just the one case--though that by itself would be outrageous enough. It's a way of standing up against scammy service providers in general. A victory here will make them think twice in the future.

There are a lot of problems in our ecosystem that we can't easily solve. But this is one in which our efforts have a chance of paying off.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Online Wayne Stinnett

• "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns."
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #130 on: August 26, 2017, 11:57:58 AM »
That's a good way to think about this issue. It isn't just the one case--though that by itself would be outrageous enough. It's a way of standing up against scammy service providers in general. A victory here will make them think twice in the future.

There are a lot of problems in our ecosystem that we can't easily solve. But this is one in which our efforts have a chance of paying off.

More than that, Bill. The outcome of this case, should it go before a judge, is a foregone conclusion. The plaintiff will win. This will set a legal precedence, which will make any future litigation much simpler. The defense knows this and is using delaying tactics, even if it costs more than the settlement, to avoid the worst part of final outcome, a public apology and admission of wrong-doing.

As I pointed out earlier, if it comes down to who can produce the most money for the legal battle, well, I already know who that's going to be.  ;) I consider it an investment in the betterment of our industry. Amazon is huge and ponderous. The volume of books sold there is staggering. They can't possibly clean things up. So, it's up to the community to police itself. Not with torches and pitchforks, but the right way, through legal discourse. Right is right.

You're very right though in that this will make others think twice, before they even get close to that ethical line of departure. Or, they can stumble blindly ahead, crossing it, ignorant of what's right or wrong, and get slapped down hard. That's Darwinism. Dumb is dumb.

"You! In the deep end! Out of the gene pool!"

Edited. PM me any questions. Evenstar (Moderator)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 01:45:56 AM by Evenstar »
NINC President-Elect, 2018. My Amazon Bestselling, eleven-volume Jesse McDermitt Series and the spinoff,  three-volume Charity Styles Series, also Amazon Bestsellers, are available in ebook, audiobook, and paperback, with many more exciting adventures to come. In my motivational non-fiction, Blue Collar to No Collar, I provide tips, advice, and strategies for new authors, and is also available in the same formats. Don't forget to visit the Ship's Store for Jesse McDermitt swag.
Semper Fi,
Wayne Stinnett | Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Amazon Author Page | Motivational Videos | Down Island Press | Ship's Store Swag

Online Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #131 on: August 26, 2017, 12:20:14 PM »
More than that, Bill. The outcome of this case, should it go before a judge, is a foregone conclusion. The plaintiff will win. This will set a legal precedence, which will make any future litigation much simpler. The defense knows this and is using delaying tactics, even if it costs more than the settlement, to avoid the worst part of final outcome, a public apology and admission of wrong-doing.

As I pointed out earlier, if it comes down to who can produce the most money for the legal battle, well, I already know who that's going to be.  ;) I consider it an investment in the betterment of our industry. Amazon is huge and ponderous. The volume of books sold there is staggering. They can't possibly clean things up. So, it's up to the community to police itself. Not with torches and pitchforks, but the right way, through legal discourse. Right is right.

You're very right though in that this will make others think twice, before they even get close to that ethical line of departure. Or, they can stumble blindly ahead, crossing it, ignorant of what's right or wrong, and get slapped down hard. That's Darwinism. Dumb is dumb.

Good points. Let's hope that the 'others' get to hear about this lawsuit.

Edited to carry Evenstar's edits through the quoted material. Drop me a PM if you have any questions. - Becca
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 09:53:27 PM by Becca Mills »

Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Offline Elizabeth Ann West

• Schenectady, NY
  • Our doubts are traitors...
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 26, 2017, 01:01:07 PM »

It absolutely will. And it will give teeth to anyone who is wronged and give incentive to service providers to negotiate a compromise. There are very big legal stakes at play. If you sign a contract with someone and the venue is not stated for disputes, where are they handled? Is it your state where you paid for the editing or marketing or other thing? Or, do you have to chase down the person who took your money and failed to deliver?

NOT all service providers are bad. Most are very, very awesome. But a few bad actors can hurt this industry so quickly, like Wayne points out. I don't have the same war chest as Wayne, but what I do have I give freely because this isn't just about Christina. It's about setting a standard.... if anyone steps up to work with scores of authors on projects there is an expectation of fair play for everyone. That's all.

Edited to reflect Evenstar's edits in the quoted material. Drop me a PM if you have any questions. - Becca
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 09:55:10 PM by Becca Mills »

Jane-of-all-trades, mistress to none!
Elizabeth Ann West | Read My Stories Free!

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 26, 2017, 02:57:30 PM »
Oh, Wayne. Words fail me. Rock on, dude. You are totally, absolutely without a doubt, correct in all points.

Offline Nicholas Erik

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 26, 2017, 06:06:47 PM »
Donated.

Nick

Offline PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
Re: Garner/Hamilton/QBW Services Lawsuit Now In Progress
« Reply #135 on: August 26, 2017, 11:22:56 PM »
In order to keep prosecuting this case, Christina needs more funds.  If you want to help, here's the fundraiser: https://gogetfunding.com/it-takes-a-community-to-take-down-a-scammer/

Quoting this to keep the donations link handy to save people trawling through the thread. The campaign is now 70% funded.

Pauline M. Ross (epic fantasy) Website | Mary Kingswood (Regency romances) Website 
Bookbub rejections: 58 and counting...

• Durban, South Africa
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #136 on: August 27, 2017, 01:31:09 AM »
Quoting this to keep the donations link handy to save people trawling through the thread. The campaign is now 70% funded.

Good to hear about the 70%. Bumping to keep it on the 1st page

Offline Acheknia

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Books by A. Woodley
« Reply #137 on: August 27, 2017, 05:44:41 AM »
I've been following this but haven't really had anything to say that hasn't already been said but I'll add my own shout out to Wayne, what a legend with a big heart :)

My donation is small but I wanted to help in more than just thoughts and wishes, so every little helps & the 70% is staggering.
With so many awful things happening in the world, it's great to see so many people coming together to fight injustice.
My tiny donation comes from across the pond, as I hate injustice & dishonesty :)
All the best Christina.

Offline ChristinaGarner

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
    • ChristinaGarner.com
« Reply #138 on: August 27, 2017, 07:37:51 AM »
I've been watching donations come in ranging from $5 to $1500 and been appreciative of each individually and collectively blown away by the support of the community. And of course, Wayne's commitment to this cause leaves me speechless. 

I'm also so humbled that despite early on being accused of "running to Hawaii" that you've all trusted me--to many, a relative stranger--with your money and this case.

I have been and will continue to do my best to live up to the trust you've placed in me. I know this case is about much more than my personal losses.

I can't say it enough... Thank you.

Edited to get rid of the annoying symbols...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 07:39:46 AM by ChristinaGarner »

Offline Abderian

• View Profile
    • JJ Green
« Reply #139 on: August 27, 2017, 07:50:06 AM »
Donated. Good luck, Christina!

• Durban, South Africa
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #140 on: August 27, 2017, 08:11:19 AM »

Edited to get rid of the annoying symbols...

If you run a cut and paste through this https://dan.hersam.com/tools/smart-quotes.html  you will get rid of the annoying symbols. (thanks to another KBoarder for this tip)

Offline ChristinaGarner

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
    • ChristinaGarner.com
« Reply #141 on: August 27, 2017, 08:20:59 AM »
If you run a cut and paste through this https://dan.hersam.com/tools/smart-quotes.html  you will get rid of the annoying symbols. (thanks to another KBoarder for this tip)

You just changed my life...

• Durban, South Africa
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #142 on: August 27, 2017, 09:53:37 AM »
You just changed my life...

That's what KBoarders do for each other  ;D

Offline wren14

• Somewhere south
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 27, 2017, 11:03:15 AM »
Donated. I think this also sends a message to Amazon. If we speak up and loud enough, they'll start to listen.

Edited. Drop me a PM if you have any questions. - Becca
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 09:37:33 PM by Becca Mills »

Luanne Bennett

Offline JRTomlin

• View Profile
    • J. R. Tomlin on Writing and More
« Reply #144 on: August 27, 2017, 08:40:24 PM »
Wayne is a real hero. I also threw my few quid into the pot. 😜

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin | J. R. Tomlin | Writing and More

Online Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • The Active Voice
« Reply #145 on: August 27, 2017, 09:50:33 PM »
Friends, I notice Evenstar and I have both had to be active here in the last day, editing and deleting posts that delve into Rebecca Hamilton's past and current behavior rather than focusing tightly on the status of Christina's case, as we've asked.

Having this thread open can only be helpful to Christina's effort. Please don't sabotage it.

Offline katygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 27, 2017, 11:05:05 PM »
i got a message that my donation couldn't be processed right now. I'll try again tomorrow.

Online thesmallprint

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 28, 2017, 04:58:43 AM »
i got a message that my donation couldn't be processed right now. I'll try again tomorrow.

I just made my 9th attempt at donating through PayPal and got the same message. I suspect there are quite a few lost donations slipping away now.

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 28, 2017, 05:01:38 AM »
Friends, I notice Evenstar and I have both had to be active here in the last day, editing and deleting posts that delve into Rebecca Hamilton's past and current behavior rather than focusing tightly on the status of Christina's case, as we've asked.

Having this thread open can only be helpful to Christina's effort. Please don't sabotage it.

Yes, please, everyone remember to not go beyond the constraints of this thread. Christina needs this to remain open, and in the end her efforts will help all of us.

Offline ChristinaGarner

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
    • ChristinaGarner.com
« Reply #149 on: August 28, 2017, 06:31:17 AM »
I just made my 9th attempt at donating through PayPal and got the same message. I suspect there are quite a few lost donations slipping away now.

That is frustrating and I'm so sorry! I've reached out to you by email and hope I can help. I know there was an issue yesterday due to server maintenance but it definitely sounds likes this is more than that. Thanks for your willingness to keep trying <3

This *could* be the server issue but it's still frustrating. Please feel free to reach out to me by PM if you have an issue a second time and I'll see what I can find out.

I'm sorry to anyone who has tried to give and found it difficult :(

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac