KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: Garner/Hamilton Lawsuit - Status Update (Oct 27) - p14, #345  (Read 68375 times)  

Online HSh

• Homicide, She Typed
  • Manslaughter, She Inscribed
    • View Profile
Re: Garner/Hamilton Lawsuit - see Myra's update page 5, reply #106
« Reply #150 on: August 28, 2017, 08:15:00 AM »
Do you allow people to donate directly through PayPal instead of this site? I won't sign up for things like this that require a physical address, because of privacy and data security issue, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

To put it bluntly: if the only way I can support or give is through a third party site that requires information I don't feel like I should have to share, or feel safe sharing, the cause will miss out on my support.  I doubt I'm the only one.

Hollis Shiloh  | My blog | Amazon page

Offline ChristinaGarner

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
    • ChristinaGarner.com
« Reply #151 on: August 28, 2017, 08:37:26 AM »
Do you allow people to donate directly through PayPal instead of this site? I won't sign up for things like this that require a physical address, because of privacy and data security issue, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

To put it bluntly: if the only way I can support or give is through a third party site that requires information I don't feel like I should have to share, or feel safe sharing, the cause will miss out on my support.  I doubt I'm the only one.

I totally understand! I specifically chose this site for its PayPal integration and I assumed it would only require logging into your PayPal account. I had no idea the site was asking for info and I can see how that would be off-putting.

I've sent you a PM with my email address and would be happy to do the same for anyone else who prefers to give direct via PayPal. I don't often receive money via PayPal, so it will be easy for me to keep separate and assure any funds sent in this way will go directly to the lawsuit fund. I'll also see about adding a donate button to my site to make it easier.

Thank you for alerting me to this issue!

Online Rick Gualtieri

• NJ
  • Renaissance Geek
    • View Profile
    • RickGualtieri.com
« Reply #152 on: August 28, 2017, 08:40:55 AM »

I'm pretty sure this site doesn't require any of that.  I just ran through the steps.  They ask for first name, last name, and email ... all of which are optional,  then you can go straight to Paypal. 

Making fantasy fun again, one corpse at a time
Rick Gualtieri | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Bill The Vampire on Facebook | YouTube

Online HSh

• Homicide, She Typed
  • Manslaughter, She Inscribed
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 28, 2017, 08:56:37 AM »
Hm.  I tried to donate earlier and I could swear it asked for my address.  I just hit the back button.  Now I'm just seeing what you said, though.  Perhaps it was my mistake, or I confused it with another fund I tried to donate to.
Sorry.  Maybe you don't have to change anything.  Let me see if I can go the whole way through the process without giving my address...

Hollis Shiloh  | My blog | Amazon page

Online thesmallprint

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 28, 2017, 11:52:28 AM »
Just a thought. Christina kindly got in touch about my problems with the donating site and I managed to send the donation direct using Paypal. That might be a solution for you if you hit problems and want to PM Christina about them.  Also, it cuts out the middleman slice and adds a wee bit more to the fighting fund.

Online MyraScott

• South Carolina
  • Ideas are worth nothing until implemented
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 29, 2017, 07:57:16 AM »
71% funded! 

As you organize your end-of-month expenses, if you are able help out, please take a moment to make a donation.

https://gogetfunding.com/it-takes-a-community-to-take-down-a-scammer/

Offline Piers Platt

• New York
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 29, 2017, 09:45:51 AM »
Donated. Good luck, Christina.

Piers Platt My Newsletter My Website

Offline ChristinaGarner

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
    • ChristinaGarner.com
« Reply #157 on: August 29, 2017, 10:56:12 AM »
Hey guys,

Last night I received the tentative ruling made by the judge regarding Rebecca's motion to quash. You can read it in its entirety via the link below. It's really interesting and points out some things we might have done to better represent our position. What I really appreciate is the fact that the judge carefully examined all the information presented before ruling. He even quoted from the Charmed Legacy contract.

For anyone who prefers the nutshell version:

TENTATIVE RULING

Shana Raywood dba Rebecca Hamilton and QBW Services, LLCs Motion to Quash
Service of Summons on the ground that the Los Angeles County Superior Court lacks
personal jurisdiction over them is DENIED. The court further denies the motions made
pursuant to CCP 418.10(a)(2) and 410.30(a), for an order staying or dismissing the case
for inconvenient forum.
The alternative motion to stay the action based upon forum non-conveniens is DENIED.
Defendants have not submitted sufficient evidence to overcome the strong presumption in
favor of a California residents choice of a California forum.

The defense can either chose to submit to this ruling and we'll move forward with the case, or decide to argue the matter in front of the judge this Thursday, 8/31. I'll keep you all posted and thank you again for all of your support.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_vpf8yhHcP0c1NvSVllTmhkNUE/view?usp=sharing

Offline Perry Constantine

• Matsuyama
  • Action Fiction Author
    • View Profile
    • Percival Constantine - Action Fiction Author
« Reply #158 on: August 29, 2017, 11:18:39 AM »
Can I just say this judge is freaking awesome?

Offline Boyd

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 29, 2017, 11:26:21 AM »
Wow.  That was kind of... o.0

Offline Bards and Sages (Julie)

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
    • Bards and Sages Publishing
« Reply #160 on: August 29, 2017, 11:39:52 AM »
I particularly liked this part:

Californias Interest in Regulation: As noted above, one of the triggers for the interests of this state is if the suit involves products made here. As Defendants have insistently repeated, they do not write the books they promote; Plaintiff did. Those books are California products, and California has an interest in adjudicating suits regarding the promotion of materials produced in California. This factor weighs in favor of Plaintiff.

Writer, Publisher, Game Designer, Resident Sith
Julie Ann Dawson | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | eFesitival of Words

Offline ChristinaGarner

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
    • ChristinaGarner.com
« Reply #161 on: August 29, 2017, 11:40:06 AM »
Can I just say this judge is freaking awesome?

I agree. This is a complex case with four different contracts and issues of libel/defamation. While he hasn't been briefed on the entire case, there is still a lot to digest for this motion. I'm very heartened to see how conscientious he is in reviewing the facts, as that is what this case will hinge upon.

Offline ChristinaGarner

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
    • ChristinaGarner.com
« Reply #162 on: August 29, 2017, 11:43:00 AM »
I particularly liked this part: California�s Interest in Regulation: As noted above, one of the triggers for the interests of this state is if the suit involves products made here. As Defendants have insistently repeated, they do not write the books they promote; Plaintiff did. Those books are California products, and California has an interest in adjudicating suits regarding the promotion of materials produced in California. This factor weighs in favor of Plaintiff.

So did I, and if I'm honest, that wasn't something I'd considered before. But of course it makes perfect sense.

I also appreciated:

"Interests of Potential Juror: The local community has concern that contracts entered into by residents here can be enforced. This factor weighs in favor of Plaintiff.'
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 11:44:57 AM by ChristinaGarner »

Offline JRTomlin

• View Profile
    • J. R. Tomlin on Writing and More

In order to keep prosecuting this case, Christina needs more funds.  If you want to help, here's the fundraiser: https://gogetfunding.com/it-takes-a-community-to-take-down-a-scammer/

Quoting to keep the contribution link easy to find. :)

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin | J. R. Tomlin | Writing and More

Offline Silly Writer

• View Profile
Just wanted to note that it did not require my address or anything other than my Paypal log-in to contribute to this cause.

Let's try to fund it to 100% and show all scammers taking (or trying to take) advantage of Indies, that we at Kboards are a family, and we won't stand for it! Like they said on GOT this weekend, the lone wolf may die, but the pack still stands. I'm gonna tweak that a bit to say, 'the lone wolf may be attacked, but the pack won't stand for it!'

https://gogetfunding.com/it-takes-a-community-to-take-down-a-scammer/

Online she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
Christina, that is great news! I really liked the part Julie pointed out as well, and the thing about potential jurors having an interest in their neighbors getting their day in court (paraphrased as I understood it).
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline ChristinaGarner

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
    • ChristinaGarner.com
Just realized there was a part of this process I neglected to post.

The moving party (in this case, the defendant) gets to have the last word (other than the judge of course) which means when we filed our opposition to their original motion to quash, they provided a reply. Here it is: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_vpf8yhHcP0aGxMU015Vi1Wb0RhdDhQZ1ZzUDJHVHVhWGtV/view?usp=sharing

Just so there's no misunderstanding, this was filed prior to the judge's tentative ruling and therefore was taken into account before he reached his decision. There will be no further filings until the hearing on 8/31. I just neglected to post it--sorry. Lots going on!

Offline elizabethbarone

• Watertown, CT
  • Contemporary Romance & Suspense
    • View Profile
    • Elizabeth Barone: Contemporary Romance & Suspense
This is very heartening. Thank you for the update, Christina!

Connect With Me: BlogFacebook | Instagram

Online Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
Good news. Hope to hear more of the same.

Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Offline Elizabeth Ann West

• Schenectady, NY
  • Our doubts are traitors...
    • View Profile
Wow. Reading the preliminary ruling was eye-opening. Not that it means much, but thank you Christina for sharing this process so that all of us are more educated about what would REALLY be involved to bring action against any company.

I am proud of the way the community is stepping up to help support this.  https://gogetfunding.com/it-takes-a-community-to-take-down-a-scammer/

Jane-of-all-trades, mistress to none!
Elizabeth Ann West | Read My Stories Free!

Online MyraScott

• South Carolina
  • Ideas are worth nothing until implemented
    • View Profile
Good luck at today's hearing on the motion to quash!

Online Rick Gualtieri

• NJ
  • Renaissance Geek
    • View Profile
    • RickGualtieri.com
Good luck at today's hearing on the motion to quash!
Good luck, Christina!

Making fantasy fun again, one corpse at a time
Rick Gualtieri | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Bill The Vampire on Facebook | YouTube

Online thesmallprint

• View Profile

Offline C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
California's Interest in Regulation: As noted above, one of the triggers for the interests of this state is if the suit involves products made here. As Defendants have insistently repeated, they do not write the books they promote; Plaintiff did. Those books are California products, and California has an interest in adjudicating suits regarding the promotion of materials produced in California. This factor weighs in favor of Plaintiff.

I can't help wondering if my state would also step up for me like this. This is a good thing.

I write books about Change, Chaos, and Loki
C. Gockel | facebook | tumblr | website

Online she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
I hope things go well today.
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.