Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?

Author Topic: Hamilton Lawsuit, discussion & funding -- merged thread.  (Read 96501 times)  

Offline Susan Stec

• Didn't anybody tell her? Didn't anybody see?
    • View Profile
    • Amazon
Re: Hamilton Lawsuit, discussion & funding -- merged thread.
« Reply #550 on: December 06, 2017, 06:26:41 AM »
I don't want to talk about it just yet, but there may be a really big surprise coming in the very near future.
That would be wonderful, Wayne, because even though I have sufficient proof her allegations are bogus, I still have to come up with the funds to fight back. And that is the point her new tactic is making. It's going to be hard for most of us. My sales have gone down from 4 figures (which I though was amazing) to 2 since this all stared for me last December 26th. Still looking for a lawyer today. I wish you luck in your endivor.

Edited. Drop me a PM if you have any questions. - Becca
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 09:42:24 PM by Becca Mills »

Online Donna White Glaser

• The final mystery is oneself. -Oscar Wilde
    • View Profile
    • Donna White Glaser
« Reply #551 on: December 06, 2017, 06:49:24 AM »
I don't want to talk about it just yet, but there may be a really big surprise coming in the very near future.

Ooh, like a holiday treat! 
In all seriousness, I can't imagine the stress this must be putting on those of you involved. I can't do much but I've been donating.
  Suspense with a Dash of Humor

Offline RedAlert

• View Profile
« Reply #552 on: December 06, 2017, 09:16:59 AM »
I am so sorry this is happening to all of you.  If you have been served, I urge you not to default.  If you default, she wins against you.  She only needs one of you to falter.
 The most imperfect answer is better than nothing at all.  Go online and find something to copy; you can do this.  I believe nowadays you have to file papers online in L.A.  You can do this, too.  File papers begging to be relieved of fees, as well, perhaps.  But, whatever you do, answer back.  The best answer, of course, will come from an attorney.  Even if all you pay for is just the opening, generic answer.

I am not an attorney and do not write about attorneys.   :D  I believe in your cause, and want you to win.  I also want Kboards to prevail.  GGGRRRRR!!!!  Get your game faces on.

Offline Awasin

• View Profile
« Reply #553 on: December 06, 2017, 09:29:02 AM »
I am so sorry this is happening to all of you.  If you have been served, I urge you not to default.  If you default, she wins against you.  She only needs one of you to falter.
 The most imperfect answer is better than nothing at all.  Go online and find something to copy; you can do this.  I believe nowadays you have to file papers online in L.A.  You can do this, too.  File papers begging to be relieved of fees, as well, perhaps.  But, whatever you do, answer back.  The best answer, of course, will come from an attorney.  Even if all you pay for is just the opening, generic answer.

I am not an attorney and do not write about attorneys.   :D  I believe in your cause, and want you to win.  I also want Kboards to prevail. GGGRRRRR!!!!  Get your game faces on.

This must be costing Kboards something, for legal opinions if nothing else; they have exposure too, and I think Christina mentioned they were served with a subpoena. 

IOW perhaps a donation to Kboards is in order.

Offline Atlantisatheart

• View Profile
« Reply #554 on: December 06, 2017, 01:10:34 PM »
I haven't read the whole thread but I'll just leave this here...

Sanctions against frivolous lawsuits and legal tactics in California state courts can be sought under sections 128.5 and 128.7 of the California Code of Civil Procedure.1 Section 128.5 authorizes a trial court to impose sanctions of reasonable expenses, including attorney fees, against litigants acting in bad faith.

Just saying.

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: December 06, 2017, 01:44:37 PM »

Oooh! Intriguing.

I feel for everyone involved in this mess. But as Wayne says, it's a battle that must be fought and won if we want to see ethical behavior be the future.
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline Monique

• California
    • View Profile
    • Written by Monique
« Reply #556 on: December 06, 2017, 01:49:16 PM »
Looking forward to the big surprise, Wayne!

Also, this is all a reminder of what courage it takes to stand up for your convictions. Small or large, it takes courage to do what you think is right no matter what the consequences might be. Thank you all for being examples of such courage.

Monique Martin | author website | facebook | twitter

Offline cdk

• View Profile
« Reply #557 on: December 06, 2017, 02:21:13 PM »
Sanctions against frivolous lawsuits and legal tactics in California state courts can be sought under sections 128.5 and 128.7 of the California Code of Civil Procedure.1 Section 128.5 authorizes a trial court to impose sanctions of reasonable expenses, including attorney fees, against litigants acting in bad faith.

For people without a handy California Code of Civil Procedure, 128.5 says:

"(a) A trial court may order a party, the party's attorney, or both, to pay the reasonable expenses, including attorney's fees, incurred by another party as a result of actions or tactics, made in bad faith, that are frivolous or solely intended to cause unnecessary delay. . . .

(b) For purposes of this section:

(1) 'Actions or tactics' include, but are not limited to, the making or opposing of motions or the filing and service of a complaint, cross-complaint, answer, or other responsive pleading. . . .

(2) 'Frivolous' means totally and completely without merit or for the sole purpose of harassing an opposing party.

(c) Expenses pursuant to this section shall not be imposed except on notice contained in a party's moving or responding papers or, on the court's own motion, after notice and opportunity to be heard. An order imposing expenses shall be in writing and shall recite in detail the action or tactic or circumstances justifying the order.

Zamos v. Stroud (2004) 32 Cal.4th 958, also makes the attorney personally liable for malicious prosecution for prosecuting a lawsuit that lacks probable cause.

Online C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: December 06, 2017, 02:24:21 PM »
Zamos v. Stroud (2004) 32 Cal.4th 958, also makes the attorney personally liable for malicious prosecution for prosecuting a lawsuit that lacks probable cause.

:o

I write books about Change, Chaos, and Loki
C. Gockel | facebook | tumblr | website

Offline MyraScott

• Ideas are worth nothing until implemented
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: December 06, 2017, 02:50:44 PM »

(2) 'Frivolous' means totally and completely without merit or for the sole purpose of harassing an opposing party.

Like targeting the opposing party's top donors in order to punish them for their support?  Seems to fit the frivolous definition.

Offline Susan Stec

• View Profile
    • Amazon
« Reply #560 on: December 06, 2017, 09:26:15 PM »
So is Jasmin Walt included in the complaint since she was a copromoter?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They are no longer coauthors

Online Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #561 on: December 07, 2017, 12:12:45 AM »
Perhaps the Alliance of Independent Authors could be of assistance.

http://allianceindependentauthors.org/members/join/

Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Offline Awasin

• View Profile
« Reply #562 on: December 07, 2017, 05:30:58 PM »
This must be costing Kboards something, for legal opinions if nothing else; they have exposure too, and I think Christina mentioned they were served with a subpoena. 

IOW perhaps a donation to Kboards is in order.

I don't always quote myself but when I do...

First, I didn't mean that Kboards had taken sides in this when I said they had exposure; they clearly haven't. 

But it is the kind of thing - when you're talking about thousands of dollars for lawyers - that might make one wonder whether the game is worth the candle. 

I don't want Kboards to disappear.  Five bucks a month for a subscription is what Dirty Discourse charges I think, and that seems quite fair, and there's also the option of buying advertising here; both are deductible and well worth doing if you care about this place.

And of course, you can also support the folks who do advertise here (which you collectively don't currently seem to do BTW; how hard is it to download a book that's in KU?).
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 06:29:49 PM by Awasin »

Offline MyraScott

• Ideas are worth nothing until implemented
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: December 08, 2017, 05:28:09 AM »
I would support a KBoards legal fund, if needed.  I'm sure they'll let us know.

I don't think they want to make this a subscription-based board behind a paywall... that's a very different business model than ad-sponsored content.  But a voluntary donation would be a good option.

Offline dgaughran

• Dublin
  • Let's Get Digital
    • View Profile
    • David Gaughran
« Reply #564 on: December 08, 2017, 06:19:09 AM »
I would support a KBoards legal fund, if needed.  I'm sure they'll let us know.

I don't think they want to make this a subscription-based board behind a paywall... that's a very different business model than ad-sponsored content.  But a voluntary donation would be a good option.

I'm sure that if they were fighting the subpoena, or otherwise attempting to protect members' anonymity in this matter, then that would be a popular fund.

Did Kboards make any statement - either publicly or privately to those directly involved - regarding what position they might be taking? Or are they simply complying?

This would seem to be relevant information, not just for those directly involved, but all members who aren't posting under their real names here.

David Gaughran | mailing list | blog | website | facebook | twitter
LET'S GET DIGITAL 2 Free for purchasers of the 1st edition! Instructions here

Online Elizabeth Ann West

• Schenectady, NY
  • Our doubts are traitors...
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: December 08, 2017, 07:36:10 AM »
That's probably something best asked directly of the owner here.

Jane-of-all-trades, mistress to none!
Elizabeth Ann West | Read My Stories Free!

Offline MonkeyScribe

• View Profile
« Reply #566 on: December 08, 2017, 10:11:55 AM »
That's probably something best asked directly of the owner here.

I took it as a direct question, and I'm sure all of those who have contributed to this thread (or financially) would like to know the answer.

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Folks, I just want to reiterate that we believe it is neither appropriate nor wise for *any member* involved in a lawsuit, either directly or indirectly, to discuss their strategy or other specific details of that lawsuit on our very public forum.

Thanks.

Betsy
KB Mod

Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Susan Stec

• View Profile
    • Amazon
« Reply #568 on: December 09, 2017, 11:12:03 AM »
This is exactly why this case is important to all of us. Going forward, this litigation will put a damper on the enthusiasm with which some people will dance across the moral and ethical lines of departure. This is why I became involved..
A reminder - This is why all of us are here. Whether we are here offering verbal or monetary support, I believe we should all try to adhere to the guidelines of our moderator.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 03:11:34 PM by Becca Mills »

Offline Susan Stec

• View Profile
    • Amazon
« Reply #569 on: Yesterday at 09:24:56 PM »
My daughter and I now have an attorney in California (thanks to the friends who gave me a referral) and we could really use your support. His retainer is $10,000. We borrowed 5k, scraped up another 2k, but were short 3k. (a big thank you to those who have already supported, it is greatly appreciated)

So, if any of you have felt victimized or bullied, but were fearful of taking action, my daughter and I hope you will consider supporting us. https://gogetfunding.com/i-am-summoned-in-a-frivolous-lawsuit-over-forum-twitter-and-facebook-posts/  Even $10 helps.