Author Topic: Hamilton Lawsuit, discussion & funding -- merged thread.  (Read 164262 times)  

Online Nicholas Erik

• View Profile
Re: GoFundMe for Elizabeth Ann West Legal Fund
« Reply #500 on: November 30, 2017, 10:35:08 AM »
Donated.

Nick

Offline RedAlert

• View Profile
« Reply #501 on: November 30, 2017, 11:52:47 AM »
Read the XC.  There are weaknesses, and you have a defense and possible cross cross complaint.  "DLTBGYD."  One day, this will be a dim memory, and you'll still be okay.  YOU WILL BE OKAY.

I remember a thread on Kboards where others were kicking the s. out of you.  You did not weaken.  I remember being impressed with your strength in the face of unfair criticism.  Whenever I see your name, that's what I think.  One tough cookie.  Stay classy and cool, and make sure you write down the details for your book.

Offline Bards and Sages (Julie)

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
    • Bards and Sages Publishing
« Reply #502 on: November 30, 2017, 12:17:22 PM »
What...the...unholy... >:( >:( >:(

Writer, Publisher, Game Designer, Resident Sith
Julie Ann Dawson | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | eFesitival of Words

Online Usedtoposthere

• View Profile
« Reply #503 on: November 30, 2017, 12:18:56 PM »
Donated. I'm very sorry. Stinks.

Offline Scarlettletters

• View Profile
« Reply #504 on: November 30, 2017, 01:32:06 PM »
Donated.

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Sorry for the delay folks, clearing the smoke took longer than I expected.

After discussion among the moderating staff, we are reopening this thread to allow continued updates on the status of the subject lawsuit.  We believe updates are a service to the membership as it is public information with implications for the larger Indie community. 

However, we believe it is neither appropriate nor wise for any member involved in a lawsuit to discuss strategy or other specific details of that lawsuit on our very public forum.  This is not the place for such discussions. 

We are reviewing the thread and posts that are beyond the scope of the thread, as well as posts that are outside Forum Decorum, have been and will continue to be removed.

Thank you,

KBoards Mod Staff
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline MonkeyScribe

• View Profile
« Reply #506 on: November 30, 2017, 01:54:24 PM »
I remember a thread on Kboards where others were kicking the s. out of you.  You did not weaken.  I remember being impressed with your strength in the face of unfair criticism. 

I don't know about kicking, but I'm someone who has disagreed with Elizabeth in the past about strategies and tactics for selling books, sometimes vigorously. But I have never doubted her integrity, and think this attempt to silence dissent is egregious. I've donated money to EAW's defense fund, and will do it again if necessary.

Offline csharte

• View Profile
« Reply #507 on: November 30, 2017, 02:26:08 PM »
I'm not a lawyer, but I've had a frivolous lawsuit thrown at me once before (like you, in a different state than the one I resided in). I was able to get it thrown out but it wasn't pretty, so I have an idea of what you're going through.  It matters the quality and experience of your attorney. I hope you received good recommendations from other lawyers.

Anyway, I don't have much to give you, but you can have my ad budget for the week. Hopefully the judge will remove your name and others like you from the list of defendants. It seems like common sense to do so...

Offline hardnox

• Sierra Gold Country
    • View Profile
    • Daniel Phalen
« Reply #508 on: November 30, 2017, 03:11:48 PM »
Donated. You da best. I went through a similar frivolous many years ago and know the pressure and heartache and time lost seems monstrous. But it will pass. I admire your courage. Endure, be well.

Dan Phalen | Website

Offline Flay Otters

• New Preston CT
  • Stone the crows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: November 30, 2017, 03:45:05 PM »
All my best.

Offline RedAlert

• View Profile
Well, this IS a public forum.  There is not much more to discuss, then.  Keep your chins up, people!  Just make sure that you answer back, even if you are in pro per!  Do not default!

I wanna thank the mods for reopening the thread.  This sucks for you, too.

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns."
    • View Profile
    • My Website
A question for any legal eagles. With many people named in the counter-suit, if one of us files a motion to quash and the judge agrees, does it apply to all those named, or just the one who filed?
NINC President-Elect. My Amazon Bestselling, twelve-volume Jesse McDermitt Series and the spinoff,  four-volume Charity Styles Series, also Amazon Bestsellers, are available in ebook, audiobook, and paperback, with many more exciting adventures to come. In my motivational non-fiction, Blue Collar to No Collar, I provide tips, advice, and strategies for new authors, and is also available in the same formats. Don't forget to visit the Ship's Store for Jesse McDermitt swag.
Semper Fi,
Wayne Stinnett | Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Amazon Author Page | Motivational Videos | Down Island Press | Ship's Store Swag

Online Elizabeth Ann West

• Schenectady, NY
  • Our doubts are traitors...
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: November 30, 2017, 07:15:56 PM »
Thank you everyone, and goodness! I talked to multiple attorneys today, which just to talk to an attorney on the phone you need to know someone who knows someone who can tell you what NAME to put in the subject line to get an email back. :)  I have an attorney retained to begin preliminary work on my case. To give you perspective, just that case analysis is over half of what's currently fundraised and it was 1/7th of what the law firm who was the next affordable quoted me. More or less I am looking at a $10,000 cost just to get motions filed to try to stop this train from leaving the station. So that was sobering. And please don't think I just picked the cheapest attorney, he also happened to be the best candidate.

I just want to say thank you. Everyone who helped me with lawyer recommendations, messages of support, donations, etc. This is going to be a long time though even just to get motions, we've all been through this before.... so here we go.

So one major ACK down, now tomorrow is the neurologist for the health issues I've been having. Praying it's herniated discs.

Jane-of-all-trades, mistress to none!
Elizabeth Ann West | Read My Stories Free!

Offline Monique

• California
    • View Profile
    • Written by Monique
« Reply #513 on: November 30, 2017, 07:49:51 PM »
IANAL but there might cost saving measures if you and the others named can work together.

Hope all goes well at the doc tomorrow.

Monique Martin | author website | facebook | twitter

Offline cdk

• View Profile
A question for any legal eagles. With many people named in the counter-suit, if one of us files a motion to quash and the judge agrees, does it apply to all those named, or just the one who filed?

If it's a motion to quash for lack of personal jurisdiction in California, the motion applies only to the person who filed the motion because each cross-defendant's contacts with California are different and will be assessed individually.

That said, one successful motion will be a blueprint for everyone else to follow assuming everyone's contacts with California are minimal.

If you have the time, for people who are out-of-state, you should read the case in the link below.  It's very thorough and it will give you a good understanding of the concept of personal jurisdiction.  Coincidentally, it's a defamation lawsuit against an out-of-state defendant based on a post on Facebook.  There's a good discussion of "General Principles of Personal Jurisdiction" that starts on page 8, and although it may all seem very long and boring, you should feel very comfortable after you read pages 16 to 25.

When you click on the link below, it takes you to the "Case Summary" page.
Four lines down, click on the PDF where you see: "Court of Appeal Opinion:[PDF] [DOC]"

http://appellatecases.courtinfo.ca.gov/search/case/mainCaseScreen.cfm?dist=43&doc_id=2058429&doc_no=G049107&request_token=NiIwLSInLkg%2BW0BNSCFdUE9IMEw7UFxbJyBOQzpSQCAgCg%3D%3D

Hope this helps.

Online David VanDyke

• View Profile
« Reply #515 on: November 30, 2017, 09:16:13 PM »
You might want to simply see if you can retain Christina's lawyer?

Futuristic Thrillers, Mysteries and Science Fiction
David VanDyke | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Contact

Online Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
« Reply #516 on: December 01, 2017, 01:32:34 AM »
Donated.

Online Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
Donated.

Offline RicardoFayet

• View Profile
    • Reedsy
« Reply #518 on: December 01, 2017, 03:49:12 AM »
Donated. Stay strong.

Online Elizabeth Ann West

• Schenectady, NY
  • Our doubts are traitors...
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: December 01, 2017, 04:34:44 AM »
Using the same lawyer could be a way to reduce costs, but it also comes with downsides for everyone sharing. All of us would be giving up confidentiality and many of us live in different states, have different circumstances, and could have interests aligned now but that change down the road etc and then there's problems of that and who has to get a new lawyer to get them up to speed etc.?

Every attorney I spoke with did say speaking about strategy, sharing research on similar motions etc. were all highly recommended and there are times when people do share attorneys in situations like this. It's a judgment call.

I can say that some of the named defendants and I have been discussing this issue and what's the best decision moving forward, and that's all I can share. I empathize that from the outside it seems like the easy answer is "save money" and that is definitely a component of this, but so is making smart decisions based on the situation.

I am so thankful the funds raised yesterday covered my retainer to get a case analysis. That was a godsend I needed, like okay I can do this one day at a time... I don't want people to view some of us having separate counsel as us necessarily working against each other, it's like the Olympic gymnastic team. We're all on the same team but we have to go out there and do our individual performance to contribute to the overall outcome, whatever that is.

Jane-of-all-trades, mistress to none!
Elizabeth Ann West | Read My Stories Free!

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
Re: Hamilton Lawsuit, discussion & funding -- merged thread.
« Reply #520 on: December 01, 2017, 04:44:28 AM »
Folks -- all discussion about the lawsuit (and ONLY the lawsuit) must take place in this one thread. This can include funding efforts for legal fees but only in this thread, Thanks. I've merged the most recent thread started by Elizabeth.

Thanks for understanding.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Adair Hart

• Columbus, Ohio
  • Everything is as it should be
    • View Profile
    • Adair Hart
« Reply #521 on: December 01, 2017, 06:40:59 AM »
Donated, Elizabeth. Hang in there.
The Evaran Chronicles - Join Evaran and his human companions on their journey through space and time!
The Earthborn - Join Blake Brown, a four-hundred-plus-year-old vampire exiled from Earth!
Adair Hart | Website | Facebook

Offline MyraScott

• Ideas are worth nothing until implemented
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: December 01, 2017, 06:45:04 AM »
I think all the defendants in this counterclaim may want to read up on what a SLAPP suit is.

https://www.casp.net/sued-for-freedom-of-speech-california/what-is-a-first-amendment-slapp/

While most SLAPPs are legally meritless, they can effectively achieve their principal purpose: to chill public debate on specific issues. Defending a SLAPP requires substantial money, time, and legal resources, and thus diverts the defendants attention away from the public issue. Equally important, however, a SLAPP also sends a message to others: you, too, can be sued if you speak up.

I'd say this countersuit is clearly a SLAPP, as Rebecca herself issued a warning a while back that this is exactly what she planned to do:

Edited to remove screenshot from third party site.  PM me if you have any questions.  --Betsy/KB Mod

If you've been named in the crossclaim, educate yourself here:

https://www.casp.net/uncategorized/stages-of-a-slapp-suit/

By filing a special motion to strike with the court, your lawyer is asking the judge to find that the plaintiff has sued you for exercising your free speech and/or petition rights, and that the plaintiff has failed to show that his/her suit has merit. 

If you are successful on your special motion to strike, you are automatically entitled to the attorneys fees and costs you incurred defending against the SLAPP.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 07:27:35 PM by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline Sam Kates

• UK
  • From the land of song and dragons.
    • View Profile
    • Sam Kates
« Reply #523 on: December 01, 2017, 06:54:44 AM »
Using the same lawyer could be a way to reduce costs, but it also comes with downsides for everyone sharing. All of us would be giving up confidentiality and many of us live in different states, have different circumstances, and could have interests aligned now but that change down the road etc and then there's problems of that and who has to get a new lawyer to get them up to speed etc.?

Every attorney I spoke with did say speaking about strategy, sharing research on similar motions etc. were all highly recommended and there are times when people do share attorneys in situations like this. It's a judgment call.

Multiple litigants sharing the same lawyer can obviously be beneficial from a cost-sharing perspective, but can cause problems. If, as Elizabeth mentions, there comes a point when one of the litigant's interests no longer coincide with the interests of another, the lawyer is placed in a conflict of interest position. Not sure how it works in the States, but in some circumstances in the UK, if that were to happen then the lawyer may have to excuse himself entirely from the case. At best, it would mean one of the litigants having to seek separate reperesentation, often at an advanced stage of the case.

Good luck to all.

sam kates

Offline MyraScott

• Ideas are worth nothing until implemented
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: December 01, 2017, 06:56:22 AM »
Also important-

If you suspect you might be included as one of the 19 unnamed DOE's, your ISP has to contact you before giving out any personal information.

https://www.casp.net/uncategorized/what-to-do-when-your-internet-service-provider-tells-you-your-information-has-been-subpoenaed/

You can file a motion to quash but you would need to move quickly as the subpoena (if it was granted) will have a response date and you'll need to have your ducks in a row.  These legal fees can also be recovered from the complaintant if they are deemed to fall under a SLAPP suit.