Author Topic: Hamilton Lawsuit, discussion & funding -- merged thread.  (Read 164286 times)  

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Re: Hamilton Lawsuit, discussion & funding -- merged thread.
« Reply #775 on: April 12, 2018, 06:17:50 AM »
Folks,

A reminder that this thread is about the lawsuits.  Per the site owner:

After further discussion, we've decided to reopen this thread. We ask that it remain specifically focused on Christina's legal case rather than other issues related to Rebecca Hamilton. We have already hosted one lengthy and very difficult thread about RH and we feel that thread was enough.

We're reviewing recent threads and posts across the forum.  If you have any questions, please PM us.

Betsy
KB Admin
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline MyraScott

• Ideas are worth nothing until implemented
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: April 12, 2018, 09:34:31 AM »
Can you tell us anything about what happens next?  Any new filings or official dates for the next action?

(Removed question about screenshots as you answered it just above!)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 09:51:19 AM by MyraScott »

Offline ChristinaGarner

• View Profile
    • ChristinaGarner.com
« Reply #777 on: April 12, 2018, 09:43:11 AM »
Can you tell us anything about what happens next?  Any new filings or information?

There were a lot of screenshots posted showing TOS violations last night that reinforce how things have been run- do these strengthen your case?  Can they be entered as evidence?

My understanding is that discovery is only officially entered as evidence if one of the other side uses it as an exhibit. I turned over thousands of screenshots; I'm unsure how many will become evidence for either side.

I sadly don't have an update I can share at this time, but I'll say that I want what I've always wanted, a fair settlement and a full retraction. I'd like to put this behind me sooner than later, but will do what's necessary to clear my name. I'm humbled and grateful for the continued support from the community. It's allowed me to press on to do just that.

Offline EB

• used to care
    • View Profile
    • EB on Amazon
« Reply #778 on: April 12, 2018, 10:33:40 AM »
I have to say that I admire the work of the Plaintiff's legal team. IMO, they've stuck to the facts of the case and haven't been distracted or dissuaded by the maneuverings. Whatever the legal justification of it is (which I know, this is how this civil stuff goes), from a purely observational point it just makes me wonder what the Defense doesn't want to come out. The Defense filed suits against authors who contributed to a go fund me, or who verbalized support for the Plaintiff online; I don't see the Plaintiff filing suit against any of the Defendant's supporters or donators, or doing anything to silence them. I don't see the Plaintiff's supporters emailing employers of those who support the Defendant, but I do observe the Defendant's supporters doing that very thing.

I know there has been discussion of posts being deleted. I've seen it happen on both sides. The fact is that we are all playing in someone else's playground when we are online. If KBoards mods want to delete something or edit it, that's up to them. Being a mod is a thankless job. Do I always agree with that or think it is justified? No. But it's not my playground, not my rules. If I want to play with my friends here, then I gotta suck it up and respect the rules of the playground. That's just life.

I'm also surprised that the Defendant appears shocked to have seen the recent screen shots. Did the Defendant have a change of counsel? Shouldn't both parties have access to all the documents submitted for the case? If I was the Defendant and had never seen those images before yesterday, I would be asking my attorney why.

Online Usedtoposthere

• View Profile
« Reply #779 on: April 12, 2018, 10:37:37 AM »

I will donate some more today also. Geez, louise. It never ends.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 02:22:34 AM by Evenstar »

Offline ChristinaGarner

• View Profile
    • ChristinaGarner.com
« Reply #780 on: April 12, 2018, 11:44:27 AM »
I don't see the Plaintiff filing suit against any of the Defendant's supporters or donators, or doing anything to silence them. I don't see the Plaintiff's supporters emailing employers of those who support the Defendant, but I do observe the Defendant's supporters doing that very thing.

I know there has been discussion of posts being deleted. I've seen it happen on both sides. The fact is that we are all playing in someone else's playground when we are online. If KBoards mods want to delete something or edit it, that's up to them. Being a mod is a thankless job. Do I always agree with that or think it is justified? No. But it's not my playground, not my rules. If I want to play with my friends here, then I gotta suck it up and respect the rules of the playground. That's just life.

I agree about moderation. Of course I've had posts I didn't think should be deleted, but it's their forum and their rules. The mods have gone above and beyond to keep some very contentious threads open. I resent on their behalf the charge of bias--I've witnessed quite the opposite.

To your other point, I have always wanted to keep this just between the Defendant and myself. I didn't even pursue suing the person behind the twitter account that trolled and defamed me, advising others not to read my books. I have been vocal about how out of line I thought the countersuit was, in no small part because there was no conspiracy--no coordinated effort by me and those named. With some, I've barely exchanged more than a few posts here.

What went on inside "Rebecca's Flying Monkeys" displays the opposite. Participants agreed to unfriend authors that were friends of mine--or others named in the suit. That is a coordinated effort and not one I take lightly, especially given some of the more malicious posts--many of which have not yet been brought to light. I sincerely hope this can be settled soon. I want to move on with my life and forget the word "screenshot" exists. If that's not possible, my lawyer and I may need to discuss our options. 

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 02:02:28 PM by ChristinaGarner »

Online evdarcy

• Cheshire, UK
    • View Profile
    • My Author Site
« Reply #781 on: April 12, 2018, 11:48:16 AM »
I want to move on with my life and forget the word "screenshot" exists. If that's not possible, my lawyer and I may need to discuss our options.

I hope that day comes soon for you Christina.
Thanks as always for keeping us abreast and for standing up for yourself (and, by proxy, a fair number of us).
I wish I could do more than give you moral support.

E. V. Darcy | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Blog

Offline EB

• used to care
    • View Profile
    • EB on Amazon
« Reply #782 on: April 12, 2018, 11:57:24 AM »
What went on inside "Rebecca's Flying Monkeys" displays the opposite. Participants agreed to unfriend authors that were friends of mine--or others named in the suit. That is a coordinated effort and not one I take lightly, especially given some of the more malicious posts--many of which have not yet been brought to light. I sincerely hope this can be settled soon.

I wish a speedy resolution to this as well for you and all those affected by it. It is a travesty that the legal system is designed in such a way that people have no choice but to spends thousands of dollars in legal fees to get justice.  :(

Offline MyraScott

• Ideas are worth nothing until implemented
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: April 12, 2018, 12:11:58 PM »
What went on inside "Rebecca's Flying Monkeys" displays the opposite. Participants agreed to unfriend authors that were friends of mine--or others named in the suit. That is a coordinated effort and not one I take lightly, especially given some of the more malicious posts--many of which have not yet been brought to light. I sincerely hope this can be settled soon. I want to move on with my life and forget the word "screenshot" exists. If that's not possible, my lawyer and I may need to discuss our options.

It's interesting that people seem to think that everyone behaves/is motivated they are... they are sure you must have coordinated the effort because they certainly did.  And do.

Are the additional screenshots available publicly now as part of the lawsuit files? Or are those pending further action?

Offline ChristinaGarner

• View Profile
    • ChristinaGarner.com
« Reply #784 on: April 12, 2018, 12:39:28 PM »
It's interesting that people seem to think that everyone behaves/is motivated they are... they are sure you must have coordinated the effort because they certainly did.  And do.

Are the additional screenshots available publicly now as part of the lawsuit files? Or are those pending further action?

Pending further action. I hope this can be settled to avoid dragging others into it. But those screenshots are evidence of an organized effort to hurt both me and my career, so if I need to use them to prove my case, I will.

And thanks, EB and ev. I appreciate you both.

P.S., Someone just asked me privately if the group really was called, "Rebecca's Flying Monkeys."

It was.

Online Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • website
« Reply #785 on: April 12, 2018, 12:47:51 PM »
Folks, really. The only mentions of Rebecca on this thread should be along the lines of "Rebecca's lawyer filed X today." The focus needs to be on the lawsuit, exclusively.

Offline Krista D. Ball

• Edmonton, Alberta
  • Hybrid Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Follow the adventures of a fantasy author
« Reply #786 on: April 13, 2018, 01:30:44 PM »
Just catching up. Thanks for all of the updates.

Krista D. Ball

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns."
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #787 on: April 13, 2018, 03:17:53 PM »
Wayne, I continue to be humbled by your generosity, especially after it caused you to be sued for absolutely no reason. Most would have quietly slipped away and I wouldn't have blamed them. Please know you have my deep gratitude.

I'm so glad you had the cojones to ride this through for this long. I know it's been a drain in more ways than one. I'm also glad that the judge has seen the oppositions motions for what they were. Baseless delaying tactics and intimidation. You are the avatar for all the good in the indie community. And we will all owe you a huge debt of gratitude when this is over.

I'm happy to support this, to help clean up the indie community.

Edited. Drop me a PM if you have any questions. - Becca
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 03:28:35 PM by Becca Mills »
NINC President-Elect. My Amazon Bestselling, twelve-volume Jesse McDermitt Series and the spinoff,  four-volume Charity Styles Series, also Amazon Bestsellers, are available in ebook, audiobook, and paperback, with many more exciting adventures to come. In my motivational non-fiction, Blue Collar to No Collar, I provide tips, advice, and strategies for new authors, and is also available in the same formats. Don't forget to visit the Ship's Store for Jesse McDermitt swag.
Semper Fi,
Wayne Stinnett | Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Amazon Author Page | Motivational Videos | Down Island Press | Ship's Store Swag

Offline Krista D. Ball

• Edmonton, Alberta
  • Hybrid Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Follow the adventures of a fantasy author
« Reply #788 on: April 13, 2018, 03:31:23 PM »

Agreed.

Krista D. Ball

Offline Susan Stec

• Got to kick the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight
    • View Profile
    • Amazon
« Reply #789 on: April 14, 2018, 08:30:53 AM »
Donated again. Passing around Davids website and Christines gofund me address. Its getting nasty on FB. Again. (Sigh)

Offline ChristinaGarner

• View Profile
    • ChristinaGarner.com
« Reply #790 on: April 14, 2018, 11:54:14 AM »
I'm so glad you had the cojones to ride this through for this long. I know it's been a drain in more ways than one. I'm also glad that the judge has seen the oppositions motions for what they were. Baseless delaying tactics and intimidation. You are the avatar for all the good in the indie community. And we will all owe you a huge debt of gratitude when this is over.

I'm incredibly flattered by your characterization, but I'm the one with the debt of gratitude--for both you personally and the community as a whole. I continue to be humbled by and strive to live up to the trust that's been placed in me.

Offline Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #791 on: April 14, 2018, 12:13:30 PM »
I'm incredibly flattered by your characterization, but I'm the one with the debt of gratitude--for both you personally and the community as a whole. I continue to be humbled by and strive to live up to the trust that's been placed in me.

But you are also the one who is dealing with all the stress on behalf of the rest of us. It's for this that we are grateful  :-*

Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: April 15, 2018, 02:32:47 AM »
But you are also the one who is dealing with all the stress on behalf of the rest of us. It's for this that we are grateful  :-*

Times a thousand. We're the cheerleaders and the folks carrying the energy drink. You're the one on the field taking the tackles. (Not the best analogy, but it's early!)
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline EB

• used to care
    • View Profile
    • EB on Amazon
« Reply #793 on: April 16, 2018, 04:52:32 AM »
Glad things are settling down for some of the people that have been attacked in this case. To those still in it, I'm rooting for you.

And since it seems to have been buried by a couple of pages, I dug out the link to Christina's fundraiser again -- https://www.gofundme.com/6we7rk-it-takes-a-community

Offline Evenstar

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: April 24, 2018, 02:33:41 AM »
I've been away from home and only logging in sporadically, so today is the first time I've had a chance to read everything and properly catch up with this thread (which I generally follow with great interest). I have, however, just been through it and (with the agreement of the other moderators) have removed several posts that don't relate directly to the law suit. Hopefully, the fact that they have been visible for quite some time means that anyone who is also following along has had an opportunity to read them, but they are detracting from keeping the thread within the guidelines that was decided upon.

Thank you all for your understanding, and thank you Christina for continuing to keep everyone updated of each development.

Offline DIAMONDSINTHESKY

• View Profile
« Reply #795 on: April 24, 2018, 02:49:02 AM »
Still rooting for you here in the UK Christine.

I went through something very very similar to this but in the film industry, so believe me when I say, I know what you're going through. You ever get to London, a tour of the city and lunch is on me