Author Topic: Hamilton Lawsuit, discussion & funding -- merged thread.  (Read 188879 times)  

Offline David VanDyke

• View Profile
Re: Hamilton Lawsuit, discussion & funding -- merged thread.
« Reply #825 on: June 15, 2018, 11:48:17 AM »
I politely point out, that I don't know them and respect is something one earns, not what another gives.

Actually, I disagree, and I'm sad that this old saw keeps being repeated. In fact, this idea is damaging. I've had to try to correct kids who claim that everyone has to earn their respect before they will be respectful.

In a civil society, respect is extended immediately and up front. We respect everyone as a starting position. If we meet someone on the street, we give them a standard measure of respect. We open doors for people. We greet them politely. We say please and thank-you, I hope. In the microcosm of KBoards, we're supposed to show respect for each other even if we've never seen a post from someone until now. We don't wait until they earn our respect until we respect them.

So really, respect is the default.

It can, however, be lost, thrown away, damaged and destroyed by disreputable actions, of course. And, of course, it can be reinforced by respectable actions.

I think we all have had our respect for Christina (and you too, Wayne) increased immeasurably by your actions in this situation.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 06:43:10 PM by David VanDyke »

Futuristic Thrillers, Mysteries and Science Fiction
David VanDyke | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter[/

Offline MyraScott

• Ideas are worth nothing until implemented
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: June 15, 2018, 01:20:26 PM »
I continue to be inspired by your courage, your dedication, and your integrity.  It's easy to be fired up when the mud is flying and emotions are high, but it's harder to stay focused when things drag out and cost you so much time, money and emotional energy. 

There are a lot of people afraid to stand up for what's right, even when they've been personally affected.  You've put it all on the line and you aren't giving up.   Good luck with your legal conference!

Offline Evelyn Alexie

• View Profile
« Reply #827 on: June 15, 2018, 01:36:36 PM »
I thought the full saying was that respect is earned, courtesy is owed, and love is given.
I suspect sometimes people assume that if they feel a lack of respect that means they can indulge in an absence of courtesy.

The mods may not love herding cats... er, cattiness on this thread but they try to do so in a courteous manner and I respect them for doing so.

I also respect Christina for continuing to fight for something she believes in.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns."
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #828 on: June 15, 2018, 02:07:40 PM »
In a civilized world, yes, David. Very little of this big blue ball is civilized. You don't have to be disrespectful on meeting someone new. That's the problem, most people think in black and white. If some pompous asshat demands respect from the get-go, and I don't give it, that doesn't mean I'm disrespectful to them, I'm indifferent. It doesn't take much to earn respect. As you said, just being polite is often enough. That earns the first measure of respect.
NINC President-Elect. My Amazon Bestselling, twelve-volume Jesse McDermitt Series and the spinoff,  four-volume Charity Styles Series, also Amazon Bestsellers, are available in ebook, audiobook, and paperback, with many more exciting adventures to come. In my motivational non-fiction, Blue Collar to No Collar, I provide tips, advice, and strategies for new authors, and is also available in the same formats. Don't forget to visit the Ship's Store for Jesse McDermitt swag.
Semper Fi,
Wayne Stinnett | Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Amazon Author Page | Motivational Videos | Down Island Press | Ship's Store Swag

Online Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • website
« Reply #829 on: June 15, 2018, 02:44:06 PM »
Respect also has different meanings. There's "due regard for the feelings, wishes, rights, or traditions of others," which is something we do indeed owe everyone automatically, IMO. But there's also "a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements" -- more of a special attitude toward people one sees as exceptional.

All of which is to say, you both make good points, perhaps with slightly different takes on the concept of respect, and let's not stray too far from the lawsuit. :)

ETA: Later posts on the matter of "respect" have been edited/removed, so as to keep the thread focused on the lawsuit.
ETA: Further such posts will be deleted without additional comment.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 12:36:28 PM by Becca Mills »

Offline Dayseye

• View Profile
« Reply #830 on: June 15, 2018, 02:50:14 PM »
Agreed, what Christina is doing is awesome and worthy of anyone's respect, including mine.

Edited. Drop me a PM if you have any questions. - Becca
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 10:08:06 AM by Becca Mills »

Offline georgette

• View Profile
« Reply #831 on: June 16, 2018, 07:22:44 AM »
Christina, I am so sorry that you're going through this.  I have donated a couple of times, and will continue to do so. 

Online Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #832 on: June 18, 2018, 04:12:31 AM »
It's already the 18th in SA. Awaiting the latest update.

Non-fiction, Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Offline Elizabeth Barone

• Watertown, CT
  • Contemporary Romance & Suspense
    • View Profile
    • Elizabeth Barone: Contemporary Romance & Suspense
« Reply #833 on: June 18, 2018, 01:39:05 PM »
It's already the 18th in SA. Awaiting the latest update.

I hope it's good news.

Connect With Me: BlogFacebook | Instagram | Amazon | Goodreads | Book+Main

Offline W.R. Gingell

• Tasmania, Australia
  • I like tea
    • View Profile
    • The WR(ite) Blog
« Reply #834 on: June 18, 2018, 04:29:12 PM »
Got my ear to the ground here in Australia, too  ;)

Online WasAnn

• I is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: June 19, 2018, 04:18:02 AM »
Ditto! I even had it marked on my calendar. I sure hope all the news is good.

Online ChristinaGarner

• View Profile
    • ChristinaGarner.com
« Reply #836 on: June 19, 2018, 11:16:10 AM »
Wow, guys--I have notifications turned on for this post, and somehow I missed all of these from the past few days. Thank you for the kind words and apologies for the lack of reply!

The status conference was yesterday, and I have a call scheduled today with my attorney for a quick download. This meeting was mostly to update the judge on our progress and plan next steps, so I don't anticipate anything earth-shattering. I'll let you know what I find out.

As an FYI, Rebecca has a new attorney handling her case: James D. Decker. He is from the same law firm as the previous attorney.

We have also been assigned a new judge. That can happen for any number of reasons: judge moves courtrooms, heavy case load, etc. Our new judge is Steven J. Kleifield and it appears he is very thoughtful in his rulings which is something I appreciated about our former judge.

Thanks again for the kind words and support. As some have mentioned, lawsuits are draining: financially, physically, and emotionally. But I can rest with the knowledge I have made truthful and earnest offers to settle this matter on multiple occasions. Having done so leaves me with zero regrets in pressing on, whatever the future cost. I am humbled by and appreciate those of you who are still hanging in here with me.

Offline Elizabeth Barone

• Watertown, CT
  • Contemporary Romance & Suspense
    • View Profile
    • Elizabeth Barone: Contemporary Romance & Suspense
« Reply #837 on: June 19, 2018, 05:11:53 PM »
Wow, guys--I have notifications turned on for this post, and somehow I missed all of these from the past few days. Thank you for the kind words and apologies for the lack of reply!

The status conference was yesterday, and I have a call scheduled today with my attorney for a quick download. This meeting was mostly to update the judge on our progress and plan next steps, so I don't anticipate anything earth-shattering. I'll let you know what I find out.

As an FYI, Rebecca has a new attorney handling her case: James D. Decker. He is from the same law firm as the previous attorney.

We have also been assigned a new judge. That can happen for any number of reasons: judge moves courtrooms, heavy case load, etc. Our new judge is Steven J. Kleifield and it appears he is very thoughtful in his rulings which is something I appreciated about our former judge.

Thanks again for the kind words and support. As some have mentioned, lawsuits are draining: financially, physically, and emotionally. But I can rest with the knowledge I have made truthful and earnest offers to settle this matter on multiple occasions. Having done so leaves me with zero regrets in pressing on, whatever the future cost. I am humbled by and appreciate those of you who are still hanging in here with me.

Thank you for the update. I'm glad to hear the new judge seems to be just as thoughtful with his rulings. I do wish you could've kept the same judge, but that's promising. <333

Connect With Me: BlogFacebook | Instagram | Amazon | Goodreads | Book+Main

Online she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: June 19, 2018, 06:12:30 PM »
Thanks for the update, Christina! Still behind you 100%.
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Online ChristinaGarner

• View Profile
    • ChristinaGarner.com
« Reply #839 on: June 20, 2018, 10:34:19 AM »
I spoke with my attorney regarding the hearing on Monday.

Rebecca's lawyer did not attend in person. Someone from the firm teleconferenced in, but it was not the new attorney we've been dealing with the past several weeks. My attorney alerted her that settlement talks stalled a couple of weeks ago.

The defense has requested we see a mediating judge. Given how far apart we are with respect to the statement, I hold little hope for settlement but remain open to the process. This judge will give no formal opinion of the case, and the result is non-binding unless both parties agree.

With the trial less than four months away, we will continue with discovery, depositions, and any necessary subpoenas. That part of the process had been placed on hold in hopes we would come to agreement, but with none on the horizon, there will be quite a bit of activity in the coming weeks.

Thank you for your continued interest in and support of this case. If you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer.

Online Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #840 on: June 20, 2018, 11:19:46 AM »
Thanks for keeping us updated. What a lengthy and complicated process that could all have easily been avoided. So glad you have the guts to stick it out.

Non-fiction, Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Offline MyraScott

• View Profile
« Reply #841 on: June 23, 2018, 03:01:26 PM »
So, the sticking point is a public statement?  I know you probably can't tell us but can't you just drop the statement entirely?

I mean, I think most of us believe you are owed a public apology for being accused of plagiarism and having your friends targeted... but if that were dropped, could you move forward?

Online evdarcy

• Cheshire, UK
    • View Profile
    • My Author Site
« Reply #842 on: June 23, 2018, 03:14:54 PM »
So, the sticking point is a public statement?  I know you probably can't tell us but can't you just drop the statement entirely?

I mean, I think most of us believe you are owed a public apology for being accused of plagiarism and having your friends targeted... but if that were dropped, could you move forward?

Personally, I wouldn't be able to. That would be letting the other side win on a point they shouldn't, that they could declare as evidence they were right - and on something so ghastly! - and lord over others, justify themselves for their actions. Nope. I couldn't do that if I were Christina. Not unless I desperately couldn't any more. Although, I'd understand if she did.

E. V. Darcy | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Blog

Online WasAnn

• I is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: June 23, 2018, 03:17:47 PM »
To my view, the public statement would be super important to me. The bad things were said publicly, the retraction needs to be just as public. Otherwise, there can be too much behind the scenes "see, we weren't wrong or else we would have had to say so publicly" mess.

Online she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: June 24, 2018, 06:04:03 AM »
To my view, the public statement would be super important to me. The bad things were said publicly, the retraction needs to be just as public. Otherwise, there can be too much behind the scenes "see, we weren't wrong or else we would have had to say so publicly" mess.

Exactly. If there's no public, wide-spread apology, then the other party can say anything they want and that is what will become fact. So, no. Statement must happen.

Offline MyraScott

• View Profile
« Reply #845 on: June 24, 2018, 06:44:35 PM »
If there's no public, wide-spread apology, then the other party can say anything they want and that is what will become fact.

Well, we all know how things get spun.  With or without an admission of guilt, I wish you the best in trying to settle.  I know it has to have been a long, miserable process so far.

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns."
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #846 on: June 25, 2018, 05:29:08 AM »
If I were in Christina's shoes, I'd sooner drop the financial end than the public statement. I can always make more money. But integrity is a totally different thing.
NINC President-Elect. My Amazon Bestselling, twelve-volume Jesse McDermitt Series and the spinoff,  four-volume Charity Styles Series, also Amazon Bestsellers, are available in ebook, audiobook, and paperback, with many more exciting adventures to come. In my motivational non-fiction, Blue Collar to No Collar, I provide tips, advice, and strategies for new authors, and is also available in the same formats. Don't forget to visit the Ship's Store for Jesse McDermitt swag.
Semper Fi,
Wayne Stinnett | Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Amazon Author Page | Motivational Videos | Down Island Press | Ship's Store Swag

Online she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: June 25, 2018, 05:55:32 AM »
True, things get spun, but as Wayne said, it's about the integrity. I'm sure we have our opinions about some people's integrity, but I know I have none about Christina's.

Offline David VanDyke

• View Profile
« Reply #848 on: June 25, 2018, 11:35:48 AM »
I'm sure we have our opinions about some people's integrity, but I know I have none about Christina's.

I had to read that several times before I realized what you meant. Almost sounds like you mean the opposite of what I believe you mean.

Only Christina can judge whether to hold out for an admission of wrongdoing, or what's right for her. It's great that she's thinking of the whole community, but at the end of the day, I think we'll all be understanding, whatever she decides to do.

Most cases are settled without admission of guilt--that's kind of the point of "settling" in most instances. Get reparation/compensation and move on. Assuming it's paid, the settlement money is a form of punishment for the guilty and a win for the injured party, and there's always the incentive to move on with one's life and put things behind. The defending parties (lawyers plus RH) may be hoping to wear Christina out, and RH lawyers themselves are just happy to get billable hours from a client, as I can't imagine they actually believe in their client's position.

In any case, hang in there, Christina.

Futuristic Thrillers, Mysteries and Science Fiction
David VanDyke | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter[/

Online she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: June 25, 2018, 06:24:24 PM »
Oh, crap! Bad writer, bad! I am sorry anyone could not understand what I meant, which was that I believe in Christina's integrity 100%. Oh, gosh. What a horrible way to word something. Of course, it seemed perfectly clear to me at the time, but now I see how it could be misread. My apologies!

But yes, at the end of the day Christina needs to do what is best for her. She's the one going through this mess, and she's more important. I wish the best for her and hope this case comes out with everything good for her.