Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?

Author Topic: Why I've abandoned Scrivener  (Read 4220 times)  

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
Re: Why I've abandoned Scrivener
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2017, 04:33:43 AM »
Why I've abandoned Scrivener and some thoughts on the tools of the craft.
http://hankgarner.com/why-ive-abandoned-scrivener/

Any reason you can't discuss this here, rather than shooting a link to your site with no further info? This is a message board where people talk about things. I don't like being given only a link with a click bait title.
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline Sati_LRR

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2017, 06:09:50 AM »
I had to abandon Scrivener too. If I was only using one device, I'd probably still be using it. But, I collect all things Apple and have a couple of PC's too, I need something to play nice across all of them. Which I have yet to find. I really loved Scrivner on my iPad, but the syncing to Dropbox wasn't bullet proof. Or in my case, idiot proof. Somehow I managed to overwrite the new file I had just added a lot of words to with the old file. I simply don't have time to think about stuff like that. I  just need it to work. Everytime. Perfectly. 

So, back to Ulysses I went. It updates through iCloud without any effort on my part. And has been bullet proof so far. Unlike Scrivener. But, it's Mac only. Ultimately I'd like to be able to access my story tool through a simple login on one website. Like one of them mentioned earlier. But I don't want to pay monthly. One and done. One payment and I own it. That's what I want.  The Novel Factory is coming out mid July with something that may finally be the solution for me. We'll see.

I was interested in Ulysses and was thinking of getting it, but not anymore; they've switched to a subscription model. So that is definitely out.

Offline LifesHumor

• Alabama
  • Pen Name Today, My Name Tomorrow.
    • View Profile
    • My short story
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2017, 04:52:57 AM »
I use Word and OneNote.
Rolling In Dirt: 35%
Mae Daniels

Offline LeopoldBorstinski

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • Leopold Borstinski
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2017, 05:41:03 AM »
I do this for all my professional files so it spilled over into my writing hobby.
Photoshop corrupts a file usually once every 5 years, maybe less.
But I always duplicate the big layered hard-to-duplicate files, just in case.
Same way I make an offline backup of everything at the end of the day.
So no, you probably won't ever have a corrupt file, especially these days.
Right up till the point you do.
For example, what if the computer fails (power outage, kernel panic, OS crash had them all) just as you're saving the file, what happens to the half saved file?

And yes, Lynn the pseud, agreed, low-tech is best. Never trust auto-backup software with your creative files.
It's not the creative files you need to particularly worry about. It's the files that get saved very frequently which are more likely to corrupt. So this statement has nothing to do with Scrivener. The advantage of Dropbox is that it gives you automatic versioning. Microsoft Word, even today, tends to corrupt more frequently than most apps and makes a mess of what's left after the corruption. It's the only app I can think of that had to introduce a facility to try to save your work if the app shut down unceremoniously. They did that because the app didn't close properly.

So blame Scrivener if you want but I think the accusation is misplaced. Relying on automated backups alone of course is a foolish backup plan. I use dropbox and a USB stick, along with having the files stored on at least 3 separate devices too. But I'm paranoid about data loss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leopold Borstinski | Website

Offline SpringfieldMH

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2017, 10:16:38 AM »
I've tried most every writing app, and continue to do so. Different strokes for different folks.

But for me, Scrivener is the difference between writing and not writing. It just feels right.

I keep my live project in my DropBox folder and work between Windows and iOS versions of Scrivener with no problems. Any time I make significant progress, I also save the project out in compressed form amd assure an off-machine copy.

They'll have to pry Scrivener from my cold dead hands.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 10:20:55 AM by SpringfieldMH »

Offline dgcasey

• Las Vegas
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2017, 10:39:23 AM »
I gave up on Scrivener simply because it was way more complicated and had more bells and whistles than I could ever need. I even bought a video course on how to use it and only made it about halfway through the course. I don't need all the features that are stuffed into Scrivener. I just need a simple word processor and have found that Libre Office is more than adequate for my needs. And I didn't need a video course to learn how to use it.
War is coming. They think he can be their leader. He's not so sure.
D Glenn Casey | My author\\\'s blog | My artist\\\'s blog

Online Al Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2017, 01:10:04 PM »
I just need a simple word processor and have found that Libre Office is more than adequate for my needs.
LibreOffice Writer and OpenOffice Writer have an extension available that exports your book file to .epub with one click.

Offline Joseph John

• Vicenza, Italy
  • Army officer & analyst by day, novelist by night.
    • View Profile
    • Joseph John Fiction
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2017, 01:18:27 PM »
I use Scrivener and sync it with Dropbox. Been doing this for years and never had an issue.

Army officer and analyst by day, novelist by night.
Joseph John | Website | Amazon | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter

Online David Greene

• Chicago, Illinois
    • View Profile
    • David Greene Books
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2017, 03:05:23 PM »
I got in the habit of using Scrivener from being a playwright. Scrivener has a nice scriptwriting template that generates the standard play script format wanted by actors. I found scriptwriting more difficult to automate in Word.

So it was natural for me to keep using Scrivener for fiction as well. I like the Binder organizing of chapters and scenes, the character list, the places list, the ability to add document notes. And I may be addicted to certain little things like Project Statistics and Project Targets, which makes it easy to track my daily word target.

I don't have sync/dropbox issues, since I'm on Mac and use Time Machine to backup everything to external drive.

My sequence, like others, is Scrivener > Word > to my Editor > after track changes and comment iterations in Word with editor > Final Master Word doc > Vellum > publish.

I suppose it is a lot of steps. But I write full time and I enjoy the various steps. I'm not in a hurry. But I understand that others want to simplify and expedite their process.

Online Broken Monitor

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2017, 05:16:39 PM »
The only problem I really have with Scrivener aside from being careful with project syncing is that text formatting is always annoying. I paste some text, having it use Scrivener's formatting. But then I find out the font color is black instead of "none" so when I switch to a black background I have to go through and fix all of the files. Also changing font settings in general is a pain in Scrivener because it only seems to apply to new documents. I do like the corkboard and being able to more easily separate chapters and scenes. Overall it's an excellent organizational tool. But I found out recently I was spending more time fiddling with Scrivener than I was actually writing.

I've been using LibreOffice lately and haven't had any problems. I do also own Word, however with grammar checking enabled it was using 30% of my (desktop i5) CPU on a 100k word manuscript. LibreOffice used 1.5% for the same document. As soon as grammar checking in Word is disabled, it drops to around the same as LibreOffice. But still, I would prefer at least some active grammar checking so I use LibreOffice for writing, especially because I can't stand the battery loss from Word. For editing though, Word is great and I plan to continue using it for my editing needs.

My last gripe... licenses. Scrivener at least lets you install it on however many PCs you have with one Windows license. With Word if you buy it outright you only get a license for one computer. If you pay for a yearly subscription than you can install it on more PCs. I hate subscription software.