Need a new Case? Save $30 with code SPARKLE30 + Free Shipping at Case-Mate.com! Offer ends 12/15.

Author Topic: Kindle Fire 7 vs 8 HD  (Read 1113 times)  

Offline MargueriteAshton40

• Positive Thinking!
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
Kindle Fire 7 vs 8 HD
« on: July 05, 2017, 01:51:14 PM »
Hello,

Just curious to see if anyone has purchased the Fire 8 HD. If so, what are your thoughts? I'm undecided about buying the 8 and the 16 vs 32 storage. Is there anything different that stands out compared to the 7? I have a 7, but it no longer stays charged. Either way, I'm going to have to add a new Kindle to my wish list.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle Fire 7 vs 8 HD
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 02:13:47 PM »
Hey Marguerite,

I moved your question to the Fire Talk board -- might get better answers.

I have the HD8, purchased December 2015. The newer models might be slightly different. It's a nice device, but I find I don't use it much. I prefer reading on one of my eInk kindles and I prefer my Galaxy Tab2 for games/apps/email, etc. I've actually been thinking about selling it, I use it so little. I only remember charge it about once a month! :o

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

• Positive Thinking!
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 04:14:48 PM »
Hey Marguerite,

I moved your question to the Fire Talk board -- might get better answers.

I have the HD8, purchased December 2015. The newer models might be slightly different. It's a nice device, but I find I don't use it much. I prefer reading on one of my eInk kindles and I prefer my Galaxy Tab2 for games/apps/email, etc. I've actually been thinking about selling it, I use it so little. I only remember charge it about once a month! :o

Thank you, Ann!

For moving my post and for the advice. Have a great evening.

Offline rolandx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 04:24:11 PM »
I've purchased 3 HD8's in the last 6 months, that replaced older Fires. Everyone really likes them. We all have laptops that are our primary workers/surfers. I use mine for USA Today and the Washington Post. I guess I'm in the minority in that I prefer reading on it compared to my Voyage. My wife does Facebook, and FB games, and it is her only reader. I've streamed video/TV shows on it and was impressed with the speed and image. If all depends on your needs.

Online Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 04:27:15 PM »
I have both the 8" and 10" and, like Ann, I find I rarely use the 8" now. (I used to use the 8" for reading library books on because in the UK we can't get them in Kindle format, but now I use a Kobo reader just for library books instead). But if you don't already have a larger tablet, that probably won't be a problem.

As to whether to buy the 16Gb or 32 Gb, you might find it cheaper to buy the 16Gb with a 32Gb memory card. Most apps can be stored on and run from the card, though not all.
"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Member since 03/17/2010 | (make your own reading bar) |
My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 06:28:10 PM »
Good point about buying the smallest amount of installed memory and using a card . . . . that really does make the most sense.

And, yeah, I might use mine more if I didn't also have a larger tablet . . .

If I was traveling and Very Limited in what I could take, it would be a decent all purpose web surfer/reader/email device.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 06:30:07 PM by Ann in Arlington »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
  • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 05:27:30 AM »
I'm not too much into tablets, but will always have one.  My current is a Fire HDX 7", 32 GB which I bought in October 2013.  Still suits me and works fine.  I remember at the time I was debating between 7" or a larger screen.  Someone on KBoards recommended smaller 7" screen.  Very happy that's what I got.  :)

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
His last collar hangs on my bedpost.

Offline njack26

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 08:36:18 AM »
I would get the 32 GB.  A 16 GB tablet only has about 10 GB or so after all the system files.  The 32 GB would have about 22 GB.  That is a big difference.  Also, putting apps on the sd card can cause them to be slow to load and slow to run, especially if you don't get a fast sd card.  They run much smoother and faster when they are stored on the device.  I like to keep my apps on the device and everything else on the sd card.

• Positive Thinking!
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 12:07:46 AM »
Thanks so much for the advice everyone!

I'm putting the 8 on my wish list for Christmas and will try my best to load books (only) :) No other apps.
I enjoy having my Kindle for night reading. During the day, I prefer a book in hand.

Offline dbonline

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Tablets
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 02:08:52 PM »
The 7th gen Fire HD 8 is a great device (2017 model) especially for the price. If you're having issues with your 7 staying charged, the HD 8 battery lasts up to four hours longer than the 7 with up to 12 hours of battery life. The battery on the HD 8 should be more suffice for you especially if your main usage will be for reading books as you mentioned.

• Positive Thinking!
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 06:51:00 PM »
The 7th gen Fire HD 8 is a great device (2017 model) especially for the price. If you're having issues with your 7 staying charged, the HD 8 battery lasts up to four hours longer than the 7 with up to 12 hours of battery life. The battery on the HD 8 should be more suffice for you especially if your main usage will be for reading books as you mentioned.

I appreciate the information. I wasn't expecting for my 7 to blink out on me like it did. I'm lucky if it'll hold a charge for more than three minutes. And that's with the battery showing a "full" charge.