Author Topic: Hidden Gems ARC Service  (Read 19181 times)  

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
Re: Hidden Gems ARC Service
« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2017, 02:33:54 PM »
If it were me, I would do both. I'd do book 1 first, even though it has more reviews, and then do book 2. I say this because I've done something similar with other services. Books in an even remotely sequential series benefit from having reviewers who've read the first book as reviewers of the second. Running both books through the service increases the possibility of book 2 reviews from people who've read book 1. (That also reduces the chance of those "I didn't understand what was going on," kind of book 2 reviews.) Readers who liked book 1 are particularly likely to request book 2 when it comes up.

Very good advice, Bill, and that's what I did. I started with book 1 and may submit 2 later, and eventually 3 this fall.

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2017, 02:45:56 PM »
I took the plunge. It's now day seven since submitting my book, and reviews are pouring in. I have a number of good things to say about this service. The owner is extremely helpful and responsive. The service is totally on the level. You will get reviews that run the gamut from 2 star- this book didn't hold my interest, to 5 star, this book is fabulous and so original! Some reviews are super short, others are more comprehensive, but out of the pile you're sure to get some useful feedback. One of the best things is that Hidden Gems is FAST. If you have an upcoming book launch, and you need a few reviews so you don't launch to crickets, this is the way to go. I have a handful of my own ARC folks, and I give them a month to review. Even so, some struggle to finish.

As far as I am concerned, this is money well spent. If you're on the fence, give it a try. I doubt you'll regret it.   

Offline HiddenGems

• Helping authors reach their audience since 2015!
    • View Profile
    • Hidden Gems Books
« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2017, 06:15:50 AM »
As far as I am concerned, this is money well spent. If you're on the fence, give it a try. I doubt you'll regret it.   

Thanks Kay, it was a pleasure working with you and hopefully we can run your future books.  I know our reviewers would love to read them.

Offline Mylius Fox

• Cognitive syntactical wizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2017, 06:29:43 AM »
I'd just like to chime in to say this service is amazing.  8) My only regret is not having found out about it soon enough to have the reviews appear on launch day. :D I'm really looking forward to using them again with my next novel. The reviews were nearly all comprehensive, honest, and thoughtful. I think maybe only one came in which was just an obvious rewrite of my blurb, which kind of gave it a bad vibe until the other reviews came in, but I understood my genre is new to their services, and that it takes time to see which new reviewers are actually reading and reviewing on their own or not.
I was also happy to see at least one reviewer sign up for my mailing list, simply because they liked the story for its own sake and wanted more in the future. :)

So thanks, HiddenGems, you're really onto something here! :)

Offline HiddenGems

• View Profile
    • Hidden Gems Books
« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2017, 10:46:11 AM »
I'd just like to chime in to say this service is amazing.  8) My only regret is not having found out about it soon enough to have the reviews appear on launch day. :D

Well, glad you found us eventually.  Better late than never.  But really, although we've been doing ARCs for about 2 years, we only started doing non-romance ARCs recently, so word is only just starting to get out about us. 

Thank you for the kind words and we look forward to working with you on your next book - for launch day.

Online kspen

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2017, 03:33:21 PM »
I'm curious about the 50 review minimum. I'm working on my first novel and I'll confess that I'm attracted to the idea of having a few reviews available at launch if for no other reason than to show that what I've written is at least coherent enough for someone to read all the way through -- but I shudder at the thought of having 40+ unverified reviews all posted at once on a product that has no organic activity whatsoever. There are diminishing returns on each additional review, and that's doubly true for reviews such as these which are inherently low quality. My instinct is that each unverified ARC review beyond the tenth probably has little value, and quite possibly negative value. Am I wrong about this? I've only stumbled across one book that's used this service, and it's not selling hardly at all. And FakeSpot flagged all of its reviews as unreliable, meaning that it will likely be stuck with an F grade in perpetuity. I'm not sure I'd want to deal with that downside even if I could get the reviews for free.

Also, this is on your website:

Influence your Amazon rank Amazons exact algorithm for determining book rank is a closely guarded secret, but there are many that believe that the number of reviews a book has, how quickly they came in, as well as other factors, have a direct influence on rank. An increase in rank means more visibility as you get onto top lists, and more visibility leads back to more sales

Is there any basis for this claim? This is the first I've heard of any suggestion that the bestseller rank takes into account anything other than actual sales activity, and what I've quoted is written in a particularly weaselly way. I do respect the way that you guys have operated your business in general, but that line in your FAQ strikes me as dishonest (unless I'm missing something).

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2017, 05:10:25 PM »
I'm curious about the 50 review minimum. I'm working on my first novel and I'll confess that I'm attracted to the idea of having a few reviews available at launch if for no other reason than to show that what I've written is at least coherent enough for someone to read all the way through -- but I shudder at the thought of having 40+ unverified reviews all posted at once on a product that has no organic activity whatsoever. There are diminishing returns on each additional review, and that's doubly true for reviews such as these which are inherently low quality. My instinct is that each unverified ARC review beyond the tenth probably has little value, and quite possibly negative value. Am I wrong about this? I've only stumbled across one book that's used this service, and it's not selling hardly at all. And FakeSpot flagged all of its reviews as unreliable, meaning that it will likely be stuck with an F grade in perpetuity. I'm not sure I'd want to deal with that downside even if I could get the reviews for free.
Kspen, the comments below are based on my experience with the service and may not be the same experience everyone has.

Unless you're in romance, you probably aren't going to get 50 reviews anyway; you're only charged for the number of people who actually requests the book, and the other genres generally don't yet have big enough lists.

Also, there will be a burst of reviews for sure, but they don't all appear at the same time, and some will trickle in long after. I think it would be more of a problem if they were all five-star--that would really look suspect--but they aren't. Kay and I both had the same experience, which is that they range from two-star to five-star. My average was about four-star. Yes, some of them are brief, but so are some of my verified purchase reviews. Some of them are also longer. I found the nature of the reviews closely mirrored the organic ones I'd gotten on the same book. (I used for the relaunch of a slightly revised book, not for the initial release.)

As for fakespot, it's guesstimating disguised as science. Some authors on these boards have said they leave exactly the kind of reviews that fakespot assumes are fake, I guess because of brevity. Anyway, I doubt very many readers are going to check on fakespot unless something looks really fishy.

The line you drew from the FAQ about reviews affecting ranking is somewhat suspect. It is true that no one knows the formula for sure, but the statistically minded among us who have studied the issue have generally not seen a correlation between reviews and ranking. It probably would be better if they dropped that line.

That one line aside, Hidden Gems appears ethical to me. Their ARCs are very similar, both in quality and in ranking spread, to my organic reviews for the same book.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Online kspen

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2017, 08:04:10 PM »
Thank you for your reply. I think my main question may have gotten lost -- what I'd really like to know is if those additional reviews actually help generate sales. Putting myself in the shoes of someone who doesn't know anything about where the ARC reviewers came from, I think I'd be pretty skeptical of those reviews... unless they are negative. So to some extent, it almost seems like a no-win situation for the author. But I'd like to keep an open mind, since people don't always behave the way I expect.

Online Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • website
« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2017, 08:24:42 PM »
Thank you for your reply. I think my main question may have gotten lost -- what I'd really like to know is if those additional reviews actually help generate sales. Putting myself in the shoes of someone who doesn't know anything about where the ARC reviewers came from, I think I'd be pretty skeptical of those reviews... unless they are negative. So to some extent, it almost seems like a no-win situation for the author. But I'd like to keep an open mind, since people don't always behave the way I expect.

I don't think anyone knows for sure whether/how reviews help sales. Whenever we debate that point, people take a variety of positions. The one certainty is that a number of promotional sites won't accept books that don't have a minimum number of reviews, so getting reviews right after release can allow a book to be promoted more vigorously before it hits those no-longer-new cliffs.

Your earlier point about reviews not factoring into rank is correct (unless things have changed recently). I wouldn't go so far as to slap "weaselly" and "dishonest" on there as descriptors. There's a lot of misinformation and rumor floating around when it comes to reviews. It's easy just to be mistaken.

Welcome to KBoards, BTW. :)

Offline HiddenGems

• View Profile
    • Hidden Gems Books
« Reply #84 on: August 24, 2017, 08:52:14 PM »
Hi Kspen - thanks for your email.  I'm happy to talk about all of these points honestly here, but I know that there will be a perception that I'm biased so I understand that you may or may not take my opinions seriously.  I completely understand that. It's the internet and no one really knows anyone, however I think that most people that have dealt with me have probably (hopefully) come away with the feeling that I'm always being up front and genuine.

I'm curious about the 50 review minimum. I'm working on my first novel and I'll confess that I'm attracted to the idea of having a few reviews available at launch if for no other reason than to show that what I've written is at least coherent enough for someone to read all the way through -- but I shudder at the thought of having 40+ unverified reviews all posted at once on a product that has no organic activity whatsoever.

Mostly, that's a business decision.  There is a lot of work and cost that goes into running an ARC program like this, and each book requires a certain amount of time and resources.  For me to do all of that work for only 10 reviews just wouldn't be worth it, quite honestly.  I mean, unless I raised prices or reduced my level of service, but those are both things that I would rather not do.  So I do understand that that minimum may put some people off and I accept that as a necessary tradeoff.  I also have a lot of reviewers subscribed to my service (about 7000 across all genres) and although only a small subset of that sign up for each book (based on interest, time, genre segmentation, etc), even 50 often leaves many readers disappointed in not getting the book. 

There are diminishing returns on each additional review, and that's doubly true for reviews such as these which are inherently low quality. My instinct is that each unverified ARC review beyond the tenth probably has little value, and quite possibly negative value. Am I wrong about this?

I guess this is the biggest point that I disagree with here, but it's also the one where both of us would really be talking more about opinion than fact.  I don't agree that our reviews are of low quality, and many other authors that have used our service have posted similarly in this thread and elsewhere.  Obviously some reviews will be of higher quality than others - I don't dispute that.  Some reviewers are more verbose and enthusiastic about their reviews in general, sometimes about the particular book. You're going to find a wide range and mix.  But in my opinion our reviews are very similar in quality, on average, to any other reviews I've seen on other books not ARCed by us. 

In terms of your instinct on the negative value of multiple unverified reviews, I disagree with that as well and quite honestly, that's the first time I've heard that assessment.  I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I don't have an answer but MY instinct is the opposite.  It's always been my opinion that with books (because of their mass consumption by individuals and relatively low cost in comparison to other things), readers in general don't pay a lot of attention to whether reviews are verified or unverified.  I think the thing that MOST readers pay attention to are the stars directly beneath the title of the book.  They look at the total number and the average.  Of course there are exceptions, there will always be people that want to dig deeper, but as I said, I think the majority of readers really don't.  They might scroll down to read a few of the top rated reviews, but my guess is very few of them go any further than that.  But again - just my opinion.  I think that if people see a large number of reviews, they likely see that as social proof that the book is worth reading. Assuming that the overall average of those reviews isn't a really low number, at least.

Judging by the number of authors that choose to send their book to more than 50 reviewers (most of them), I think that most authors agree with me on that point.  At least the ones looking for help getting those reviews - so that could just be selection bias.

I've only stumbled across one book that's used this service, and it's not selling hardly at all. And FakeSpot flagged all of its reviews as unreliable, meaning that it will likely be stuck with an F grade in perpetuity. I'm not sure I'd want to deal with that downside even if I could get the reviews for free.

There are plenty of factors involved in whether a book sells or not and simply having reviews isn't going to make or break any book.  We've done ARCs for over 500 books at this point.  Some have hit top 20 in the store, some have had a rank in the hundreds of thousands. And I take no credit for either of those. Reviews are just one part of an overall marketing strategy that every author determines for themselves.  Do I think that they help?  Yes, I do. But mostly in a comparison sense.  If there are 2 books of equal interest to someone and one has 100 very positive reviews and another has no reviews or just a handful, I think more readers would, at the very least, click first on the one with many reviews to see what all the buzz is about. And getting them to look deeper at your book is the first step to making a sale. So everything you can do to get them there is worth it, in my opinion.

As for Fakespot - I don't know much about them or what they do or how they judge. If they're biased towards verified reviews, as I would suspect is likely, then yes - I expect that any ARC reviewed book would end up with a low score - including those sent out by authors to their own lists.  Does that make the reviews fake?  Not in my opinion.  If Fakespot identifies legit reviews as fake simply because they're unverified, then I think that's pretty questionable.  But again, I don't know if they're doing that. All I know is that our reviews are all by real readers, so if Fakespot calls those reviews fake then it would make me question the legitimacy of their algorithms.

Also, this is on your website:
Is there any basis for this claim? This is the first I've heard of any suggestion that the bestseller rank takes into account anything other than actual sales activity, and what I've quoted is written in a particularly weaselly way. I do respect the way that you guys have operated your business in general, but that line in your FAQ strikes me as dishonest (unless I'm missing something).

That FAQ was written over a year ago, so I don't know specifically where I heard that at the time, although I have definitely heard it from authors now and again in different forums I frequent as something that some suspect to be the case.  I just did a quick google search, actually, and found a number of articles that discuss the idea that reviews may affect ranking however they now say that the theory is that "verified" reviews affect ranking.  So it could be that the prevailing wisdom (such that it is, given that it's really just a guess either way) has changed since I first wrote that.  Perhaps those changes came after Amazon's latest crackdown on unverified reviews on most products.  But given that, I agree, I should probably alter that line so thank you for bringing it to my attention.  Sometimes things slip away from me.

I do still think that there can be an indirect cause and affect towards rank, though, based on the idea of social proof of having many reviews leading to a more likely click on your book over someone else's. I have read some theories that this CTR alone can increase your rank but again, I don't know how much basis in fact there is to that. But if those clicks lead to more sales, then that would definitely increase your rank.  Still, that's a much more round-about way to increase your rank than what I have in my FAQ now so I do agree it should (will) be changed.  Probably tomorrow, as it's getting late.

Anyway, hopefully you don't mind the lengthy response here and maybe I've covered some of your questions/concerns - I'm not sure.  Definitely our service isn't for everyone, but I think most authors just figure out an overall marketing strategy that makes sense to them and for some, having a lot of honest reviews is the way to go. For others it isn't.  I don't think either way is more right or wrong because I think every book is different, and there is no one right path to success.

We just happen to service those that believe that having reviews on their book is a helpful strategy. But I do appreciate the comments as I'm always open to improving both our service, and our messaging.  Thanks.

HG

Offline Book Cat

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2017, 03:21:55 AM »
Hi

I'm not sure if I just missed it, but what are your prices for this service? I saw the USD $20 deposit requirement, but not the cost of the service. I see through reading the comments in this thread that you par per review left (I understand you're not paying people for the review just for them to read it and hopefully leave a review), is that correct? If so, how much is it per review?

Thanks.
I write 2600 words per hour!

Offline HiddenGems

• View Profile
    • Hidden Gems Books
« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2017, 06:16:23 AM »
I'm not sure if I just missed it, but what are your prices for this service? I saw the USD $20 deposit requirement, but not the cost of the service. I see through reading the comments in this thread that you par per review left (I understand you're not paying people for the review just for them to read it and hopefully leave a review), is that correct? If so, how much is it per review?

It's in our FAQ, but you pay per reviewer that we send the book to, not per review as we cannot guarantee a specific number of reviews since they're honest and voluntary.  All we can do is maintain a list of reviewers that are avid readers of each genre and typically leave reviews, and as such our average number of reviews left is over 80% per book.  So if we send your book to 100 reviewers, on average you'll get back about 80 reviews.  Some get less, some get more.  I don't think I've seen anyone get less than 50%, and it's rare to get even near that number, and some books get 100%, but the average is over the 80% mark.  Generally most of those reviews will be in within about 2 weeks of sending your book out, with most of them coming in around the one week mark when reviews are "due".  But some readers are slower readers or things come up, etc.  If your book is live when we send it out we include the links, so faster readers often get their reviews in well before the one week mark.  We charge $2 per reviewer but cap the price once you order 150 or more reviewers.  However, as Bill stated above, for many genres we don't have as many reviewers so we can't always deliver the number ordered - in which case we only charge for the number that do sign up, even if it's less than our 50 minimum. 

We started with Romance so that's our biggest pool, but we're growing all of them now.  Unless the book is very fringe, even our smallest genres usually get at least 10-20 people signing up, and lately we've been getting closer to 30-50 in a few of them.  Fantasy can sometimes find 100 sign ups, depending on the book, Erotica more than that, etc.  We did our first Children's book last week and had I think about 50 sign up for that (marketed to our reviewers more for parents to read to/with their kids).

Each book we send out to a genre includes the cover and info about the book, so all sign ups are voluntary based on interest level and time by the reviewer for that book.  That's why even though we may have 1000 people in a specific genre, we might only be able to send out to about 20 if that's all that signed up for it.  That helps keep our percentages high, as well as gives you a better chance at finding readers pre-disposed to liking your specific book - not a guarantee of course - but at least you don't have someone in scifi that hates reading about spaceships getting your newest space opera, or whatever.

Anyway, hope that helps but let me know if you have any other questions.
HG

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2017, 08:59:30 AM »
Sorry about not responding to your main question. You could have a point, though I think sometimes we as authors are more sensitive to some issues than the average reader is.

Most of my friends are readers. A lot of them don't even know what self-publishing is. (I don't talk about my own writing with friends unless they ask.) Most of them glance at reviews, but hardly anyone I know seriously analyzes them. People who buy a book with high reviews that turns out to be terrible may become more skeptical, but I think most buyers pay enough attention to product description and Look Inside that they'll spot some red flags despite the reviews.

As I said in my previous post, aside from the disclosure statement, the ARC reviews look pretty much like my organic reviews on the same book, so I don't see an automatically skeptical reaction as being that likely.

As Becca says, no one really knows how much impact reviews actually have. I did read on some forum post a few months back that purchases are three times as likely to click buy on a book with fifty reviews than on one with no reviews, but I'm not sure what the source of that information is. Personally, I don't expect a brand-new book to have a lot a reviews, but if one does that certainly isn't a turnoff for me. It's only when the product description and Look Inside create a different impression that I worry.

Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #88 on: August 25, 2017, 09:39:52 AM »
I just want to point out that those of us in Kindle Unlimited get unverified reviews. I get a lot of KU reads in addition to actual sales, so I will always have a large number of unverified reviews.

I've just submitted my second book to Hidden Gems, so you can consider that a vote of confidence. Some reviews from this service have been rather brief and not polished. The most recent sounds as if the reviewer is not a native English speaker. But readers who leave reviews, whether organically or through this service, should not be expected to be eloquent writers themselves. Professional book bloggers will obviously write better reviews. The wide range of writing styles and commentary from Hidden Gems reviewers should lay to rest any idea that these reviews aren't "real readers."

Online kspen

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2017, 11:11:46 AM »
Thanks again for the responses. I guess the issue for me is that I've come across books where most of the reviews were obviously left by family/friends, and I've come across books with lots of ARC reviews where the reviewers were obviously recruited from the author's fan base. So I always scrutinize the reviews if I see anything out of the ordinary, and I pass on any book where something seems off. And to clear up one point -- when I refer to low quality reviews, I mean it specifically in that sense that they're out of the ordinary and give a reason to be skeptical. I've rarely seen ARC reviews really criticizing a book, so I take them with an extra grain of salt.

But I'm glad to see that I could be in the minority here.

Offline JDMatheny

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #90 on: October 14, 2017, 11:54:13 AM »
I just want to point out that those of us in Kindle Unlimited get unverified reviews. I get a lot of KU reads in addition to actual sales, so I will always have a large number of unverified reviews.

I've just submitted my second book to Hidden Gems, so you can consider that a vote of confidence. Some reviews from this service have been rather brief and not polished. The most recent sounds as if the reviewer is not a native English speaker. But readers who leave reviews, whether organically or through this service, should not be expected to be eloquent writers themselves. Professional book bloggers will obviously write better reviews. The wide range of writing styles and commentary from Hidden Gems reviewers should lay to rest any idea that these reviews aren't "real readers."

I'm on my fifth day of launch for my debut novel.  It's been slow, with about six sales a day on average.  I'm considering using Hidden Gems to spur on sales, as I'm concerned many people might pass it over seeing that it has zero reviews.  Being that my book is enrolled in Kindle Select, I'm worried that it might violate Amazon's policy of not distributing digital copies.  I've read some opinions that distribution is considering offering the book to the public and ARC's are okay, but I'm trying to be sure.  Can anybody answer that for me?

J.D.Matheny | Facebook |Website

Offline crow.bar.beer

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 14, 2017, 01:13:10 PM »
Go for it.

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 14, 2017, 01:57:41 PM »
I'm on my fifth day of launch for my debut novel.  It's been slow, with about six sales a day on average.  I'm considering using Hidden Gems to spur on sales, as I'm concerned many people might pass it over seeing that it has zero reviews.  Being that my book is enrolled in Kindle Select, I'm worried that it might violate Amazon's policy of not distributing digital copies.  I've read some opinions that distribution is considering offering the book to the public and ARC's are okay, but I'm trying to be sure.  Can anybody answer that for me?
Amazon customer reps have said that offering a limited number of review copies to people is not a violation of the Select TOS. It would be better if the TOS itself stated that, but I've never heard of anyone having a problem with it. You would have a problem with a public link anyone could download from. Having Hidden Gems manage the distribution privately is really no different from your emailing the book to prospective reviewers, and people do that all the time with their own ARC teams.

By the way, six sales a day isn't bad for a debut. You might want to consider scheduling some promos if you haven't already. Some promoters will take debut novels without reviews. Promotion has a bigger impact during the first thirty days than the same amount will later.

Offline JDMatheny

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #93 on: October 14, 2017, 02:21:19 PM »
Amazon customer reps have said that offering a limited number of review copies to people is not a violation of the Select TOS. It would be better if the TOS itself stated that, but I've never heard of anyone having a problem with it. You would have a problem with a public link anyone could download from. Having Hidden Gems manage the distribution privately is really no different from your emailing the book to prospective reviewers, and people do that all the time with their own ARC teams.

By the way, six sales a day isn't bad for a debut. You might want to consider scheduling some promos if you haven't already. Some promoters will take debut novels without reviews. Promotion has a bigger impact during the first thirty days than the same amount will later.

Thanks Bill, very helpful, I appreciate it!  As for promos, I have scheduled out a fair amount of cheaper promos over the first couple weeks.

Offline KeithWardFiction

• View Profile
    • KeithWardFiction
« Reply #94 on: October 14, 2017, 02:56:21 PM »
I've used Hidden Gems for the first two books in my fantasy series, and will be using them for the third book soon. I've been very happy -- there aren't a ton of reviewers in that genre yet, but it's building. I also found the reviews to be very solid, and at least 75% of those who asked for the book to review ended up reviewing it.

I highly recommend the service (and have no relationship with the company other than being a happy customer).

Keith Ward | Keith Ward | Twitter | Facebook

Offline SBlake

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 14, 2017, 08:02:22 PM »
I've used Hidden Gems for all three of the books in my new series. I paid for 50 readers in each case. With book 1 I got 48 reviewers with a 4.1 average. Book 2 I got 50 readers and 50 reviews with a 4.4 average. Book 3 is still taking in reviews and probably will continue to do so for at least the next week; it's at 4.2 so far with 9 reviewers. None of these averages are as high as I would like, but this is my first time out of the gate with this genre and pen name. I understand it's going to take time for me to learn the ropes and write (better) to market.

I love this service and intend to use them for all of my new releases going forward. Like most, I can't wait for the organic, verified reviews to start coming in, but this service helps to lend some credibility to a new book/pen name, IMO.

Offline C. Rysalis

• The Writer's Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2017, 04:33:00 AM »
May I ask how far in advance of the publication date the ARC copies must be provided? Thanks!

Olivia Rising | Author page

Offline Book Cat

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2017, 04:45:53 AM »
I've used Hidden Gems for the first two books in my fantasy series, and will be using them for the third book soon. I've been very happy -- there aren't a ton of reviewers in that genre yet, but it's building. I also found the reviews to be very solid, and at least 75% of those who asked for the book to review ended up reviewing it.

I highly recommend the service (and have no relationship with the company other than being a happy customer).

My book is fantasy and I am planning on using them. I am a little worried though, as mine is epic fantasy. The book is 139k words long and I worry it will turn the ARC reviewers off. An author friend of mine had a good experience with them too for his launch. I just hope they will be ok with my long book...
I write 2600 words per hour!

Offline JDMatheny

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #98 on: October 15, 2017, 08:54:01 AM »
May I ask how far in advance of the publication date the ARC copies must be provided? Thanks!

If you click on the Book Now of their website there's a calendar that shows a start date of when they send the book out to reviewers.  After a week they send out a reminder email that reviews are needed (not required).  So it's a fast turnaround.  I signed up yesterday in the thriller category and my start date was the 20th.

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #99 on: October 15, 2017, 09:06:06 AM »
My book is fantasy and I am planning on using them. I am a little worried though, as mine is epic fantasy. The book is 139k words long and I worry it will turn the ARC reviewers off. An author friend of mine had a good experience with them too for his launch. I just hope they will be ok with my long book...

My first book is around 105K, my second about 90K. After having good results with book one, I decided to try the second book. I sent both books together so readers who didn't want to jump into book two without the backstory necessary to fully understand it had the option to read both, and some did. That means they were reading close to 200K in one shot. It might take a little longer to get some of the reviews back, but I don't think a long book will pose a problem.