Author Topic: Which Kindle is your favorite?  (Read 2608 times)  

Offline rcarbone1214

• View Profile
Re: Which Kindle is your favorite?
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2017, 05:38:34 AM »
I have a Voyage and an Oasis. Both are amazing devices! The Voyage being my first Kindle will always be my favorite...I just got the Oasis (via Prime Day) and I am very impressed with it. The Voyage stays in my handbag and goes everywhere with me, the Oasis is my designated home device and sits on a side table right next to my chair in the living room. I do love them both. But the Voyage just edges out the Oasis only because the Voyage was my first Kindle.

Offline KateDanley

• View Profile
    • KateDanley.com
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2017, 03:11:46 PM »
So... I just picked up the Kindle Fire 7 on Prime day thinking it might be nice to replace my old Kindle Fire.  I gotta say... it has a lot of bells and whistles and I think it is aimed at being an iPad alternative, but I'm not sure I love it.  I like the size of it, it fits very comfortably in my hand.  But it came pre-loaded with all these apps and now I have to figure out how (or if I can) get them off.  I was trying to just download a book from my library and it kept trying to get me to sign up for Goodreads and kept sending me to Amazon to recommend books.  I just wanted to download the one book I was in the middle of reading!  I know these computers tend to settle down a bit after they've shown off for you, but if I was older and a little less tech savvy, I think it would have been super frustrating and I might have ended up sending it back (it was THAT bad.)  It operates like an Android phone in some ways.  It also has the Alexa app, but I haven't tested it because I have Echos all over my house and I tried to talk to my Kindle and ended up turning on my Echo, and just decided it was too much for one day.  I ended up reading on my old Fire last night.

Kate Danley | Website | Facebook | Blog | Newsletter | Instagram

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2017, 06:36:07 PM »
You should be able to uninstall apps you don't want. I have the Fire 8. I don't think I signed in to goodreads on it though and don't remember getting any prompts to do so. And it will show recommended books if you are in the book tab.

Now you can turn a lot of stuff off in settings. Hold on, let me grab my fire to see where.

So for me in the book tab, it lists my books first. Books I own. Then recommends KU titles. Then regular recommend.

Ok, go to settings in the drag down. Then go to apps and games. Go to amazon application settings and there go to home screen settings. There are 4 options for things you can turn off. Home recommendations, show new items on home page, show apps on recent page, change home page navigations.
So you can turn off some of the recommendation stuff there.

Under apps and games is where you uninstall apps you don't want. So once you in apps and games again, go to manage all applications. Just click on the ones you want gone and uninstall.

Although I have an android phone, some stuff seems to be a bit different as they use their own version on it. Took me a while to get used to. But I don't know what you mean by getting a library book and it wanting you to sign up for goodreads. You mean use the browser to go to your local overdrive library and check the book out that way? Should work the same way as on a computer and not sure where goodreads comes in play there.Its just an app on my fire, but I never set it up on it as I only use my fire to play games.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
  • Card-carrying melodrama villain
    • View Profile
    • All about me....<hee hee>
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2017, 10:08:09 AM »
I choose the obvious answer, the latest and most expensive. I love the light weight, compact size, and usable page buttons of my Oasis. I also like the plug independence the battery case gives me when traveling. I'm not at all bothered by the design not being symmetric. I do see two small problems--the battery life independent of the case is slightly shorter than ideal, a handful of times I've actually run the battery down to the "emergency change warning" in one reading session, and the Oasis is a little wider than earlier Kindles, so I have trouble fitting it into some jacket pockets I'm accustomed to using. Still my favorite by far.

As an aside, My favorite page buttons ever, were on the Kindle 2 that was my first ereader. Unfortunately pressing page buttons hinged on the outside seemed to discombobulate a lot of people, and they weren't a well-loved feature. The K2, the early Basic Kindles, and the Oasis are the only Kindles that in my view, had usable page buttons, and I don't like paging via touchscreen. Because of this, I kept using a Basic Kindle far beyond its expected lifespan, till the illuminated screen on the Paperwhite was released. I now consider an illuminated screen essential.

(Make your own reading bar)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline spice3d

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2017, 11:18:59 AM »
I've got an ancient Kindle 3. Still works great. An amazing device. I suppose it's my favorite by default lol. That said, I will be upgrading soon but honestly I'm surprised the newer models aren't leaps and bounds head and shoulders far superior. Yes, better resolution, back lighting, etc. but mine has physical buttons which I like. The Oasis is my target at the moment. Nearly half the weight and made to use with one hand.

Offline Kathy

• Lighthouse Point, FL
  • Member 376
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2017, 09:59:47 AM »
I love the Oasis, but I have to admit that I love the Voyage just as much. I gave the Voyage to my sister and sometimes I wished I had kept it for myself.

Offline Nospastramus

• Upper Pacific NorthLeft
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2017, 03:05:02 AM »
Greetings to the group!

I found this forum through a search for fellow Kindle 3 (keyboard) owners and enthusiasts.
Apparently I qualify as a 'super fan' of that model.

The K-3 (with 3G) was my first e-reader, acquired as a gift in 2011. Since then I've used various future models and misc tablets, all of which have their own uses and features.. but the K-3 remains my favorite Kindle to grab on the fly, for many reasons.

Last January I was on a Washington State ferry and during that voyage, my original K-3 was either lost or stolen. I immediately reported the loss to Amazon. It was 'De-registered,' but that did little to help the intense level of separation anxiety that followed for the next few weeks. In the emerging reality that I'd never see the thing again, I started looking for replacements and was astonished/bummed out to see some of the going prices for those models. Used, refurbished, etc. Some of them are selling for more than the original price.

After searching Craigslist to see if my lost one might appear, I totally lucked out by finding one (with 3G) that had been very well taken care of, offered by an older gentleman, for a very realistic price. He seemed sad to see it go; he asked me to take good care of it.
I then found a great deal on an *original* lighted case, which my first one never had.
It was downright therapeutic to reload all of my books, documents, music and "jailbreak" my new K-3, restoring all of my personalized "sleep-screens." It was so therapeutic in fact, a few months later I found/bought *another* K-3, in excellent condition for a great price.

Engineering-wise, the K-3 is very well designed for its purpose. I can understand why they remain so popular - and highly sought after.
Battery life is excellent.
The screen clarity is every bit as good as most analogue print, in any optimal lighting conditions.
It's thin, very light-weight and durable.
The manual page-turn tabs are responsive and comfortably well positioned, even for a person with wide hands.
Sensible device navigation.
Unlike touch-screen models, there's no risk of getting lost, let alone making accidental purchases due to a misplaced grasp.
Older folks (like my mom) with delicate hands are much more comfortable using them.
(The K-7 touch-screen I got her for Christmas, ended up gathering dust, but she loves the K-3 I recently purchased for her.)

I guess there's a few reasons why that model is my fav and why I don't ever want to be without one.
Ever again. ;)

The music is reversible but time is not.

Offline MsScarlett

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2017, 08:15:40 PM »
I *like* all the Kindles I've had, but I LOVE the K3.   It is still my favorite. I love the screen, the page turns, the form, all of it. I even still enjoy the active content.  When my original one got a cracked screen I was heartbroken! I have since replaced it. (I actually have 2. Lol. Just in case.) Love love love love my K3.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2017, 07:16:50 AM »
Although I have and love my Oasis, because of the comments about the K3, I pulled mine out just because. Actually, I had just charged it, along with the basic buttons and my K1. I do this every month or so to protect the battery as much as I can.
Oh what a pleasure those buttons are, brought me right back to when I first got the K3. I liked the K1 too, but at the time the K3 was so fast and I loved everything about it. I hadn't had it on wifi in a while and it was so nice to just type the title of the book I am reading with the keyboard. There is a simplicity about it that is so much more book like. I can grab it by the screen without messing up the pages. Wipe the fuzz off. And the font because its lower resolution is so much darker. Higher resolution is not always an advantage, it made the fonts get thinner and thinner.

So I am finishing this book I started on my Oasis on my K3.  ;D. I wont be able to do this in the evening or night of course, because of lack of light. But man I miss those buttons. Even with the Oasis, I miss those side buttons and the simplicity. And you know what else I miss? My beloved status bar on the bottom. Why oh why can we not have it with newer devices.  :(

That is why I don't like the trend towards making e-readers tablet like. Its the simplicity of it being like reading a book that drew me in the first place. I imagine a kindle basic with buttons that has build in light. But with status bar and either no touch screen at all, or one that can be turned off.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline patrickt

• Oaxaca, Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2017, 02:51:22 PM »
Ah, the nostalgia. I remember my first Kindle. It was the Kindle Keyboard. One of the wonderful page buttons...broke. Something snapped inside. It wiggled but it didn't change pages. Mechanical buttons are great...on devices that are twenty years old. Me? I like the touch screen on my Kindle and my phone. I also like e-ink. When I read a book I don't need color.

Offline RiddleMeThis

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2017, 03:10:27 PM »
I have Voyage. Bought an Oasis when it first came out and hated it. I gave it to my mom who enjoys it.
Check out my Equine Genetics Blog - Updated April 25th with Splashed White!