KB Featured
Flight of the Tarantula Hawk
by Michael Allan Scott

$0.99
Kindle Edition published 2014-02-10
Bestseller ranking: 4698

Product Description
On the IndieReader Best Book list and featured on NBC's Daytime Show, the second book in the Lance Underphal Mystery series is part of a new breed of supernatural thrillers which can be read and enjoyed in any order. Dark, different, featuring a damaged psychic, this is one of those disturbing novels that keeps you guessing.

Download the sample or use the "Look inside" feature for a FREE E-book offer.

Supernatural Murder Mystery - Realtor Carla Simon has her first showing in nearly eighteen months. Recovering from a nervous breakdown, she arrives at the bank-owned foreclosure well ahead of her prospect. When her buyer pins her against the wall, it turns out to be the last house she'll ever show.

Looking for a new breed of supernatural thrillers? Paranormal mysteries of murder and suspense? Perhaps a psychic detective series which can be read and enjoyed in any order? Or maybe one of t...

Author Topic: 45k: Novel or novella? How do I market this?  (Read 1650 times)  

Offline Steve Voelker

• Philly
    • View Profile
Re: 45k: Novel or novella? How do I market this?
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2017, 03:05:22 PM »
I agree with this. If they can go get it free as a permafree, why bother to join your list? I'd keep it as a magnet and only give it out to people who sign up for your list.

ETA: You could charge for it on Amazon and only give it away free for people who sign up for your list.

The second option is MUCH better. People don't generally like being forced to sign up to get essential parts of a story. A short story or deleted scene as a newsletter exclusive is one thing, but an entire novel is another. You will get a ton of people who only sign up to get it, then report you as spam when they unsub, just for spite.

Also, having your newsletter incentive up for sale puts a real-world dollar value on it, which can make people more comfortable forking over their email address for it. They feel like they are getting something "real" in exchange. Not something that isn't important or good enough to sell.

OF COURSE, there are people who use something exclusive as a sign up incentive and find some degree of success with it. In the Nick Stephenson group, which has a few thousand member chiming in, the general consensus is that is not the best option. My own experience backs it up.

But, as always, YMMV.

In the end, the best thing to do is narrow it down to the options that sound best to you, then do a few rounds of testing to see which is most effective.

ETA: 45K is a novel.

Offline DCRWrites

• Wentworth Hall, Tellus of Sol
  • A writer writes
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Yesterday's Tomorrow
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2017, 03:46:07 PM »
My Doc Vandal series are all between 45-55k words and I've been calling them adventures or complete stories, though I agree 40k is a novel, albeit a short one.

Welcome to the worlds outside my window
Dave Robinson

Offline abgwriter

• Florida, USA.
    • View Profile
    • Riddles, Rumors and Rhymes
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2017, 04:55:04 PM »
The second option is MUCH better. People don't generally like being forced to sign up to get essential parts of a story. A short story or deleted scene as a newsletter exclusive is one thing, but an entire novel is another. You will get a ton of people who only sign up to get it, then report you as spam when they unsub, just for spite.

Also, having your newsletter incentive up for sale puts a real-world dollar value on it, which can make people more comfortable forking over their email address for it. They feel like they are getting something "real" in exchange. Not something that isn't important or good enough to sell.

OF COURSE, there are people who use something exclusive as a sign up incentive and find some degree of success with it. In the Nick Stephenson group, which has a few thousand member chiming in, the general consensus is that is not the best option. My own experience backs it up.

But, as always, YMMV.

In the end, the best thing to do is narrow it down to the options that sound best to you, then do a few rounds of testing to see which is most effective.

ETA: 45K is a novel.
Thank you! I'm leaning more and more towards that option. I'm thinking of putting it up a month after releasing book 2 to keep the momentum going.

I'd call it novel adjacent.

What does that mean in this context?

Arel B. Grant | Cover Design | Writing Blog | Newsletter

Offline M R Mortimer

• Australia
  • SF writer
    • View Profile
    • Suspended Earth - Official site of M R Mortimer
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2017, 04:49:43 AM »
50k or 80k or whatever other number is what they want to make the printing costs worthwhile. They're not defining the length of a novel, they're simply saying that's the minimum length that they want to publish.
I thought that was basically what I said. A lot of people around and about have used those numbers as definitions because they didn't get this.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 05:10:04 AM by M R Mortimer »
|

Australian Science Fiction and Fantasy Author
M R Mortimer | Author Web Site Facebook Page | Twitter Page | Fantasy Series