Kindle Forum banner

Echo for $89 on Prime Day

5K views 59 replies 10 participants last post by  Sandpiper 
#1 ·
So, I've held out but this price is tempting me.

Tell me why I need one.  ;D

#2 ·
Mine is super convenient for verbally setting a timer or alarm while doing something else, or adding an item to my shopping list while doing something else. I also use it for listening to music and podcasts and to get my news briefing or weather while dressing or doing other stuff. I have one in my living room and in my bedroom. Especially if I wake up during the middle of the night I will ask what time it is and Alexa will tell me. Maybe not such a good plan if I had a sleeping spouse or SO in the room!

I have gotten so used to mine that I miss it when I am traveling...

#3 ·
The Hooded Claw said:
I have gotten so used to mine that I miss it when I am traveling...
Can you do that with the Dot (isn't it travel size)? I see it's on sale for $35
My kids gave me a Dash Wand & I still haven't figured out what to do with it.

#4 ·
CegAbq said:
Can you do that with the Dot (isn't it travel size)? I see it's on sale for $35
My kids gave me a Dash Wand & I still haven't figured out what to do with it.
I could with Dot and a Bluetooth speaker, and actually considered getting one when I saw the Prime Day offer of a Dot for $35! The. I decided that was pathetic, and firmly shoved the idea away!

#5 ·
The Hooded Claw said:
The. I decided that was pathetic, and firmly shoved the idea away!
;D

#6 ·
Someone Nameless said:
So, I've held out but this price is tempting me.

Tell me why I need one. ;D
Sandra, you need the Echo for times when your hands are stuck in Brad dough and you ne S to set a timer. Or to,check what is on your calendar today. Or to remind you to do something. Or to listen to your audible books. Is that enough reasons cuz I can go on longer.

#7 ·
I'm in a one bedroom condo.  I have two Echos.  Yesterday I could not think of the "other" Echo -- Echo, Dot and ?  Tap.  :)  Amazon doesn't promote it much?  Looks like it's now hands-free when plugged into 'lectric.  So it's a mini Echo with good sound?  Tap the Tap when using portable.  Still small enough to take-with when traveling?  Put one in my cart.

Do I need a Dot too? 

#10 ·
Someone Nameless said:
OK. I sprang for the white Echo this morning. Excited to try it.
You will like it. Music? All you have to do is ask. Any music you want especially with Amazon Music Unlimited or pay Spotify or Pandora (probably pay also). There's many nature sounds and white noises to choose from. Echo knows so much -- just ask. I love my Echos. Will order a Tap today.

#11 ·
Sandpiper said:
You will like it. Music? All you have to do is ask. Any music you want especially with Amazon Music Unlimited or pay Spotify or Pandora (probably pay also). There's many nature sounds and white noises to choose from. Echo knows so much -- just ask. I love my Echos. Will order a Tap today.
I like to take the Tap out on the patio to have music outside.

#12 ·
Reviews say the speaker on the Tap is not nearly as good as the Echo.  I have a Bose wireless speaker that I can use with my iPhone.  I also have an Apple Watch and I ask it to set timers etc all the time.  I'm sure the Echo is not a need but I'm going to give it a try.

#13 ·
Someone Nameless said:
Reviews say the speaker on the Tap is not nearly as good as the Echo. I have a Bose wireless speaker that I can use with my iPhone. I also have an Apple Watch and I ask it to set timers etc all the time. I'm sure the Echo is not a need but I'm going to give it a try.
My other devices that I already own that do the things that the Echo can do - that's why I think I can't figure out why I would want one.

#14 ·
CegAbq said:
My other devices that I already own that do the things that the Echo can do - that's why I think I can't figure out why I would want one.
What devices do you use? I'm hoping that the speaker will be great enough that I'll love it. It will be less trouble than connecting my iPhone to the wireless speaker and then searching for what I want to play. We'll see. ;D

#15 ·
CegAbq said:
Arguably they're easier to set up -- especially for the technologically challenged or averse.

If you like that sort of thing, of course. I confess I don't get the attraction of talking to things. As Arthur Weasley says, "Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain?".

;D

#16 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
If you like that sort of thing, of course. I confess I don't get the attraction of talking to things.
;D
Yeah - that's me, I can't see my self talking to it.

Someone Nameless said:
What devices do you use? I'm hoping that the speaker will be great enough that I'll love it. It will be less trouble than connecting my iPhone to the wireless speaker and then searching for what I want to play. We'll see. ;D
I guess I use my smartphone (Samsung S7 Edge) for everything: music & audiobooks (through bluetooth headphones so I don't disturb people around me), my weather app, my news feeds, Kindle reading (I don't even use any my my dedicated Kindle e-readers anymore).
Maybe it's because I live with other people, I'm too self-conscious to speak to an Alexa device & I just don't play audio outloud, I use headphones.

#17 ·
I used my Echo this morning to purchase a Dot for our new travel trailer.  We had already decided on the Dot vs another Echo partly because of the size, partly because of the cost, and partly because the trailer has an extensive speaker system and I can use a 1/8" cable to connect the Dot to the stereo...  So I got a $10 credit for something I was going to buy anyway.
I have gotten very used to walking into a room and saying "Alexa, turn on living room."  or whatever.  I feel like I'm in Star Trek.
I use my Tap in the back yard when I'm outside with the puppy.  I have it in a sling so I can hang it up and to provide a little extra protection when she gets hyper.

#18 ·
Andra said:
I used my Echo this morning to purchase a Dot for our new travel trailer. We had already decided on the Dot vs another Echo partly because of the size, partly because of the cost, and partly because the trailer has an extensive speaker system and I can use a 1/8" cable to connect the Dot to the stereo... So I got a $10 credit for something I was going to buy anyway.
I have gotten very used to walking into a room and saying "Alexa, turn on living room." or whatever. I feel like I'm in Star Trek.
I use my Tap in the back yard when I'm outside with the puppy. I have it in a sling so I can hang it up and to provide a little extra protection when she gets hyper.
One of the 'wake words' should be "Computer". ;D

#23 ·
Someone Nameless said:
OK, I just read that it can. So, other than speaker improvement, what can the Eco do that Dot can't?
I'm not terribly techie. My head starts swimming with all this stuff. How it all "works". I'm purdy sure that the Dot is basically a smaller-in-size Echo with not as good sound as the Echo.

On Amazon's Tap web page, there's photo of a guy biking down the street. Great! Got to be connected to wifi? I'm thinking he has it bluetoothed to his phone?

#25 ·
Sandpiper said:
I'm in a one bedroom condo. I have two Echos. Yesterday I could not think of the "other" Echo -- Echo, Dot and ? Tap. :) Amazon doesn't promote it much? Looks like it's now hands-free when plugged into 'lectric. So it's a mini Echo with good sound? Tap the Tap when using portable. Still small enough to take-with when traveling? Put one in my cart.

Do I need a Dot too?
I'm very late to this thread, and glad to see you did decide on the Tap. I have the Tap and really like it because of the portability. Just to clarify, you can now make it hands-free without it having to be plugged in or placed in the charging cradle. It's still fully portable in hands-free mode. It's very easy to change between tap mode and hands-free mode using the Alexa app.

The only down side is that the battery will drain faster in hands-free mode and off the charging cradle. When you use it with the Tap function, you get about 9 hours, and hands-free, I think it's about 6 hours. If you have it in hands-free mode and you're not using it, you can turn off the microphone and that will stop the battery drain.

I've tested it a bit. I fully charged the Tap, put it in hands free mode, and left it on all night off the charger (mic turned on), and the battery was dead by the morning. The next night, I left it fully charged, in hands-free mode, off the charger, but I turned off the microphone. (I didn't turn off the power completely, just the mic.) In the morning, it had a 95% charge.

Anyway, enjoy!

#26 ·
gdae23 said:
I'm very late to this thread, and glad to see you did decide on the Tap. I have the Tap and really like it because of the portability. Just to clarify, you can now make it hands-free without it having to be plugged in or placed in the charging cradle. It's still fully portable in hands-free mode. It's very easy to change between tap mode and hands-free mode using the Alexa app.

The only down side is that the battery will drain faster in hands-free mode and off the charging cradle. When you use it with the Tap function, you get about 9 hours, and hands-free, I think it's about 6 hours. If you have it in hands-free mode and you're not using it, you can turn off the microphone and that will stop the battery drain.

I've tested it a bit. I fully charged the Tap, put it in hands free mode, and left it on all night off the charger (mic turned on), and the battery was dead by the morning. The next night, I left it fully charged, in hands-free mode, off the charger, but I turned off the microphone. (I didn't turn off the power completely, just the mic.) In the morning, it had a 95% charge.

Anyway, enjoy!
Thank you for all the info. :) Good to know. From what I read on Amazon's Tap web page, I thought it had to be plugged in to be used hands-free. It really can be a small Echo when in hands-free on charger. Many ways to use it -- just have to remember it will need to be charged depending . . . . Will be delivered today via USPS.

How is the sound thinking music compared to the Echo?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.