Author Topic: Two questions about how and why readers choose Kindle Unlimited books  (Read 998 times)  

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
    • View Profile
    • greggbell.net
#1) How do readers select KU books? Do they see a separate pool of KU only books and choose from there?
#2) Do AMS ads influence how readers choose KU books?

"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong." Oscar Wilde
Gregg Bell | Website | Amazon author page | Blog | Twitter | Google+ | Facebook

Offline KhaosFoxe

• Co. Kerry, Ireland
  • English expat, developmental editor.
    • View Profile
I can only speak for myself when I go looking for KU books to read.

1. Yes, I click the button that shows books enrolled in KU and only those. As to selecting which books to pick up, I've given up looking down the genre lists and trying to use the search function. I wander through the also-boughts of books I've read and enjoyed.

2. Nope. I ignore them entirely.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
I think there is a checkmark somewhere if one only wants to see KU titles. I don't think I ever did that though. Its not how I find KU reads. There are a few different ways I do it. There are some reader groups where folks post what they read in KU and liked. For me, I vet KU books like I do any other books. I read what I like and some books are KU, some library, some I buy. I look for all books the same way.

For the KU titles that come up in my vetting, I add them to my KU wishlists on Amazon. I have a few sorted by genre/subgenre. Those wishlists are then pulled up inside my kindle and I can just pull one out. Inside the kindle it shows the logo if its KU. So in case a book is out of KU, I move it to a wait for loan wishlist. So far most books I have in the KU wishlists tend to stay in there. And many get put in so I move them from the wait for loan wishlist to the KU wishlist.

Also on my kindle if I go to the store I get recommendations for KU. Its the first thing it pulls up.

As to AMS ads. Not sure what they are. Are those the things that say sponsored above them? If so they are almost never on target and miss the genre by miles. So I ignore those. If I search for something, say an author, I want to see that author, not ads from other authors. Ignore ignore ignore.  :P

Don't know what all other readers do, but since I hang out in reader forums, some of them for KU specific, I am fairly average there in how I find KU.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
My KU pages read show a definite relationship with my AMS advertising. When I first started AMS, my pages read quadrupled. When I stopped again, they fell back to their previous levels. I started AMS again, and pages read rose again. Some of that could be coincidence, but I doubt it all is.

Atunah makes a good point, though, about the way many consumers process ads. Perhaps what happens is that enough people buy or borrow the books through the ads to raise visibility, which in turn attracts other readers who may not even have seen the ads. That's one way to explain the apparent contradiction.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
So those "sponsored" thingies are AMS ads? I see them all over the store on everything I search for. They annoy me as sometimes half the result pages is "sponsored". There was a few times I searched for a book, or might have been an author and it was like 80% sponsored.  :o. The more I get in the results, the more they annoy me. If they were just sprinkled in, I wouldn't notice so much and might click on one not even noticing. I am sure plenty readers also click on those. The sponsored tag isn't in a different color, its just writing so it doesn't stick out too much, unless of course there are many. Because they spread out the results more so its obvious.

I was wondering about if there are ads when searching on a device, so I used my phone and the kindle app and several searches showed no ads at all. I don't see them on my kindle either.

Since I don't really browse amazon or search for books there anymore, the ads are going right by me. Not that they are fitting anyway on books in most cases. I already see enough mis categorized stuff in romance, I don't need another batch added with ads that are not anything like I search for.
I do most of my browsing on goodreads and I can see right there if a book is in amazon, before I ever click the go to amazon button. So I can add KU books to my wishlists and not get frustrations.

Offline MaryMcDonald

• View Profile
    • M.P. McDonald
As a KU reader, I tend to find books via Bookbub or just browsing the store. For Bookbub, sometimes the 99cent books are countdown deals so I click on them and will borrow.

Regarding ads, while browsing, if one catches my eye, sure, I'll click it. After running AMS ads, I have to conclude others do the same as my page reads always increase after running an ad.

The Mark Taylor Series-Intense thrillers | CJ Sheridan Thrillers
M.P. McDonald | M.P. McDonald | Facebook | Amazon Author Page

Online Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
  • Storyteller and Cat Minion
    • View Profile
    • Ineti Press
#1) How do readers select KU books? Do they see a separate pool of KU only books and choose from there?
#2) Do AMS ads influence how readers choose KU books?

You can search Amazon specifically for KU books in a few different ways. That's how I find most of my KU reads aside from signatures here and a few KU Facebook groups I'm in.

I glance at AMS ads and sometimes they'll influence my borrow, and sometimes not. Some AMS ads are more effective than others.

Offline MaryMcDonald

• View Profile
    • M.P. McDonald

As to AMS ads. Not sure what they are. Are those the things that say sponsored above them? If so they are almost never on target and miss the genre by miles. So I ignore those. If I search for something, say an author, I want to see that author, not ads from other authors. Ignore ignore ignore.  :P

Don't know what all other readers do, but since I hang out in reader forums, some of them for KU specific, I am fairly average there in how I find KU.

AMS ads can show up as sponsored in search results. They also show up in the row of books under the row of also boughts.

The Mark Taylor Series-Intense thrillers | CJ Sheridan Thrillers
M.P. McDonald | M.P. McDonald | Facebook | Amazon Author Page

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
AMS ads can show up as sponsored in search results. They also show up in the row of books under the row of also boughts.
I had to check, yes, I see that cluttering row of sponsored ads below the also read. Its why it takes so much scrolling for me now just to get to the reviews. Since I have my text set larger, on my netbook its like down down down. Annoys the heck out of me. But oh well, its why I don't browse on the A much anymore for books. Or search.

I was going to add another easy way to find KU books is to go to the Ku section on amazon. Under kindle books on the top menu there is KU. THen you get a list of a lot of stuff by different headings. By your browsing history, your purchase history, recommended, trending now, popular, what has audiobook attached, by genres, top rated etc. Its actually the least cluttered way to find KU reads. And not a sponsored ad in sight.  ;D

I wish there was a similar section just like that for all kindle books. Sigh.

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
    • View Profile
    • greggbell.net
I can only speak for myself when I go looking for KU books to read.

1. Yes, I click the button that shows books enrolled in KU and only those. As to selecting which books to pick up, I've given up looking down the genre lists and trying to use the search function. I wander through the also-boughts of books I've read and enjoyed.

2. Nope. I ignore them entirely.

Thanks Holly

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
    • View Profile
    • greggbell.net
Re: Two questions about how and why readers choose Kindle Unlimited books
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 07:26:32 PM »
I think there is a checkmark somewhere if one only wants to see KU titles. I don't think I ever did that though. Its not how I find KU reads. There are a few different ways I do it. There are some reader groups where folks post what they read in KU and liked. For me, I vet KU books like I do any other books. I read what I like and some books are KU, some library, some I buy. I look for all books the same way.

For the KU titles that come up in my vetting, I add them to my KU wishlists on Amazon. I have a few sorted by genre/subgenre. Those wishlists are then pulled up inside my kindle and I can just pull one out. Inside the kindle it shows the logo if its KU. So in case a book is out of KU, I move it to a wait for loan wishlist. So far most books I have in the KU wishlists tend to stay in there. And many get put in so I move them from the wait for loan wishlist to the KU wishlist.

Also on my kindle if I go to the store I get recommendations for KU. Its the first thing it pulls up.

Thanks Atunah. Interesting how you search. And yes, the AMS ads are the "sponsored products related to this item."

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
    • View Profile
    • greggbell.net
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 07:28:44 PM »
My KU pages read show a definite relationship with my AMS advertising. When I first started AMS, my pages read quadrupled. When I stopped again, they fell back to their previous levels. I started AMS again, and pages read rose again. Some of that could be coincidence, but I doubt it all is.

Atunah makes a good point, though, about the way many consumers process ads. Perhaps what happens is that enough people buy or borrow the books through the ads to raise visibility, which in turn attracts other readers who may not even have seen the ads. That's one way to explain the apparent contradiction.

Thanks Bill. I'm involved in my own experiment of seeing how the AMS ads influence sales and page reads. Glad they're working out for you.

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
    • View Profile
    • greggbell.net
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 07:29:48 PM »
As a KU reader, I tend to find books via Bookbub or just browsing the store. For Bookbub, sometimes the 99cent books are countdown deals so I click on them and will borrow.

Regarding ads, while browsing, if one catches my eye, sure, I'll click it. After running AMS ads, I have to conclude others do the same as my page reads always increase after running an ad.

Thanks Mary.

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
    • View Profile
    • greggbell.net
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 07:30:28 PM »
You can search Amazon specifically for KU books in a few different ways. That's how I find most of my KU reads aside from signatures here and a few KU Facebook groups I'm in.

I glance at AMS ads and sometimes they'll influence my borrow, and sometimes not. Some AMS ads are more effective than others.

Thanks Jim

Offline Shawn Inmon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2017, 07:38:24 PM »
For me, there is a definite correlation between doing AMS ads and increasing my KU page reads.

April-mid-June, I ran a ton of AMS ads and my average daily page reads doubled. I put a hold on my AMS ads from mid-June to July 5th and page reads slowly dropped back to the original averages. Since I started the ads again a week ago, the page reads are almost back up to where they were.

Shawn Inmon | Website | Facebook

Offline kdiem

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2017, 07:49:38 PM »
1. Generally I narrow it down to a KU-only pool, unless Goodreads/mailing lists/friends/author follows tell me about something else tempting. I'll occasionally go down genre lists -- it helps that I read a few different genres. Amazon's recommendations are generally more miss than hit.

2. As a reader, AMS ads work on me. I go through the carousels of also boughts and sponsored products. I haven't had any purchases through AMS yet so can't speak from the author side of things.

Bonus hint: No matter how I find a book, I always read the blurb on the product page.

Author. Bibliophile. Fangirl.
Karen Diem | website | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Goodreads

Offline Graeme Hague

• Western Australia
  • Horror & Urban Fantasy... I think.
    • View Profile
    • Graeme Hague
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2017, 07:56:08 PM »

Thanks for this, Bill. I paused my ads because I wasn't putting enough time into them, and I've been planning to put some solid hours into reviving them with better metadata. Looks like it's a worthwhile exercise.
Author, freelance writer and editor, professional musician, recording engineer... published in Australia, the UK and Germany. It all looks good on paper!
I'll be a writer... seemed like a good idea at the time
Graeme Hague | My Blog and Website | How To Write An Awesome Enovel

Offline Jenny Schwartz

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2017, 11:31:35 PM »
I pick up books from also-boughts of books I've enjoyed or books for favourite authors that I'm waiting for release day.

I don't tend to browse the ads much ... but as an author, I run ads, so yeah, I need to think about that!

I also pick up books from cross-promos, often ones that I have books in, and from author discussions on FB. I mightn't be able to do a swap that someone requests (my newsletter subscriber list is small), but if the book someone wants to swap promo for looks good, I borrow it :)

Also I've started my own FB page for books I've read in KU and enjoyed. I'm hoping people will find it useful and start recommending me books! https://www.facebook.com/AlwaysAnotherGreatBook/
Desert Devil - paranormal romance - out Aug 10. Pre-order 99c
Jenny Schwartz | Website | Twitter | Facebook

Online jmb3

• So.Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2017, 12:20:09 AM »
This might be interesting to those running AMS ads with books in KU. I only recently began advertising in AMS and am still trying to figure it out. The first run I did two months ago wasn't very successful. I was hitting my daily limit every day by mid afternoon but not seeing many sales or page reads so I stopped the ad. In preparation for my third book release, I started a new ad for the first book in the series. I wrote a new blurb for the ad and added at the end "Free on Kindle Unlimited."
I read somewhere, probably on these boards, that adding those words attracted readers so, even if it is clearly visible in the ad that my book is in KU, those words, written in the blurb, worked like magic. My pages read doubled the first day. Stranger still, people don't even seem to be clicking on the ad as my costs have been incredibly low. I have a $5 daily limit but I'm only at ~$15 and I started my ad 12 days ago. Regardless, I'm seeing increased sales and pages read and that was before the third book came out yesterday. Maybe AMS is just being wonky right now and not reporting my true costs, but I'm totally giving credit to the "Free on Kindle Unlimited" until proven otherwise. :)

J. Bengtsson

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2017, 05:48:23 AM »
This might be interesting to those running AMS ads with books in KU. I only recently began advertising in AMS and am still trying to figure it out. The first run I did two months ago wasn't very successful. I was hitting my daily limit every day by mid afternoon but not seeing many sales or page reads so I stopped the ad. In preparation for my third book release, I started a new ad for the first book in the series. I wrote a new blurb for the ad and added at the end "Free on Kindle Unlimited."
I read somewhere, probably on these boards, that adding those words attracted readers so, even if it is clearly visible in the ad that my book is in KU, those words, written in the blurb, worked like magic. My pages read doubled the first day. Stranger still, people don't even seem to be clicking on the ad as my costs have been incredibly low. I have a $5 daily limit but I'm only at ~$15 and I started my ad 12 days ago. Regardless, I'm seeing increased sales and pages read and that was before the third book came out yesterday. Maybe AMS is just being wonky right now and not reporting my true costs, but I'm totally giving credit to the "Free on Kindle Unlimited" until proven otherwise. :)
That's an interesting tip. I'll have to try that.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
    • View Profile
    • greggbell.net
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2017, 10:01:12 AM »
For me, there is a definite correlation between doing AMS ads and increasing my KU page reads.

April-mid-June, I ran a ton of AMS ads and my average daily page reads doubled. I put a hold on my AMS ads from mid-June to July 5th and page reads slowly dropped back to the original averages. Since I started the ads again a week ago, the page reads are almost back up to where they were.

Thanks Shawn. I've had the opposite experience so far. I paused all my AMS ads and found my page reads went up.

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
    • View Profile
    • greggbell.net
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2017, 10:01:57 AM »
1. Generally I narrow it down to a KU-only pool, unless Goodreads/mailing lists/friends/author follows tell me about something else tempting. I'll occasionally go down genre lists -- it helps that I read a few different genres. Amazon's recommendations are generally more miss than hit.

2. As a reader, AMS ads work on me. I go through the carousels of also boughts and sponsored products. I haven't had any purchases through AMS yet so can't speak from the author side of things.

Bonus hint: No matter how I find a book, I always read the blurb on the product page.

Thanks Karen

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
    • View Profile
    • greggbell.net
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2017, 10:03:55 AM »
I pick up books from also-boughts of books I've enjoyed or books for favourite authors that I'm waiting for release day.

I don't tend to browse the ads much ... but as an author, I run ads, so yeah, I need to think about that!

I also pick up books from cross-promos, often ones that I have books in, and from author discussions on FB. I mightn't be able to do a swap that someone requests (my newsletter subscriber list is small), but if the book someone wants to swap promo for looks good, I borrow it :)

Also I've started my own FB page for books I've read in KU and enjoyed. I'm hoping people will find it useful and start recommending me books! https://www.facebook.com/AlwaysAnotherGreatBook/

Thanks Jenny

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
    • View Profile
    • greggbell.net
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2017, 10:08:24 AM »

Thanks for the tip. If I ever run an AMS ad again I'll be sure to include it. My experience has been the costs of the AMS ads were exploding and I was giving all my profits right back to AMS. I stopped the ads and my page reads went up. I know it sounds unlikely and certainly other factors are involved but I haven't been running any ads for a while (although I did participate in Renee Pawlish' cross promo over the weekend) and that's what happened.

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2017, 10:21:42 AM »
I seldom search for KU book--I seldom look for books by browsing on Amazon.  What usually happens is that I find out about a book that interests me by reading about it somewhere--here, in the newspaper, on Goodreads and go to Amazon to find it; and if it's in KU, I get it through KU.  Otherwise I buy it or go to the library, depending on how much I wanted it.

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
    • View Profile
    • greggbell.net
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2017, 10:44:13 AM »
I seldom search for KU book--I seldom look for books by browsing on Amazon.  What usually happens is that I find out about a book that interests me by reading about it somewhere--here, in the newspaper, on Goodreads and go to Amazon to find it; and if it's in KU, I get it through KU.  Otherwise I buy it or go to the library, depending on how much I wanted it.

Betsy

Thanks Betsy