Author Topic: Expatting as part of a writer's strategy.  (Read 7764 times)  

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
    • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
Re: Expatting as part of a writer's strategy.
« Reply #75 on: July 13, 2017, 11:50:04 AM »
Thomas Wolfe (the one from North Carolina, not the one in the white suit) had a great bit in one of his later novels. Some expats in Paris are chatting, and one says wistfully, "I wish I could go down to Spain and do some writing!"

If anyone is inclined to go to Spain and do some writing, bear in mind that US residents are responsible for paying taxes no matter where they live....
Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Offline Anarchist

• Methodological individualist
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2017, 12:52:33 PM »
These are just my opinions, but Costa Rica has become a lot more expensive than it used to be. The same two-lane roads are carrying a lot more cars than forty years ago, so traffic is awful and there is zero chance of improving the roads.

Crime has gotten worse with the drug cartel crap oozing its way there.

I also think that the proper mindset is needed and speaking the language will help more than expats think.

As a foreigner expect to have folks try to get you to pay more for goods and services in comparison to the locals. Another reason to learn the language.

On the mindset... a lot of expats want all the conveniences of their home country there and they can't handle the slower pace, the annoying red tape to get anything done, paying bills and going to the bank can be a pain. Although a lot of progress has been in the last decade on bill paying, etc. So if you have the right mindset that you're moving to another country and your patient, then you'll do better.

Some expats don't think and do things they would never do back in their home country because they have this romanticized view of the tropical paradise and end up getting ripped off big time, especially when it comes to real estate.

I've known expats that got fleeced and had to back to their home country with their tail between their legs. And some had retired to live down there only to get ripped off and needed to go back to the US and/or Canada to go back to work. It's sad.

Some expats move to remote areas where it's cheaper and less crowded, but then they become isolated and go back home.

I should say some of this won't apply to a young person who wants to move as part of a writer's strategy as per the op. ;D

Good to know, Alan. Although I've thought about leaving the U.S. behind one day, I never seriously considered Costa Rica as a destination. It has seemed (to me) too idealized among the aspiring-expat community.

Your comments about the country reinforce those feelings.

Thanks for laying it out for me.  :)
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Offline JaydenHunter

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 13, 2017, 03:14:30 PM »
Good to know, Alan. Although I've thought about leaving the U.S. behind one day, I never seriously considered Costa Rica as a destination. It has seemed (to me) too idealized among the aspiring-expat community.

Your comments about the country reinforce those feelings.

Thanks for laying it out for me.  :)

I have heard excellent things about Medellin, and considered that as a potential destination, but always thought Costa Rica seemed to touristy.

But, I came here in large part due to the points made in the blog post you mentioned.  I have purposely avoided the expat communities as I wanted to be part of the culture here and not surround myself with retired Americans.

I had a fantastic taxi ride home one night.  The taxi driver, who spoke almost no English, at least understood my explanation that I've moved to GDL and wasn't a tourist.  He got that I wrote books and so he whipped out his iPhone and pulls up his favorite American author.  Then he asks me when my stuff will be in Spanish...ha ha ha....  A long time I told him.

I know for sure that being here has motivated and inspired my writing.

For one thing, if  you have any success at all.....and just having a few books published on Amazon with nice covers is a huge accomplishment...you an instantly an interesting person and people enjoy asking you about things.

I had a great talk in broken English at a pub with a guy who explained that his favorite writers were Lovecraft, Sir A.C.Doyle, Tolkien, and George R.R. Martin.  We discussed over beer and cigarettes how much we loved Game of Thrones.

At one point he reached out and took the smoke from my hand, took a puff, and handed it back.  Male bonding...  ha ha..

Then, when the pub closed,  the beautiful rocker chick sitting next to him asked me (through an interpreter) if I'd join them as they headed to somewhere still open.

I've found the people here welcoming, helpful, interesting, kind, and so forth...maybe it's just different..who knows, but it's for sure helped my writing and creativity.

Writing in multiple genres, because "Reasons."
Jayden Hunter | Twitter | Website | Facebook | Goodreads

Offline JaydenHunter

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2017, 03:20:48 PM »
Thank you moderators for leaving this running.

I never wanted to open a political discussion.

What I would like to say about politics and the American news, and so forth is that getting away from that, and not just news, but American television and American dramas, has been AMAZING for creativity.

This isn't new...but not having a television, not watching the news, not reading a newspaper..etc...it's very liberating, as everyone might imagine.   What being here does is to MAKE it easier to avoid.

I will, however, possibly...maybe, be hunting for a restaurant or bar that is going to have a Game of Thrones night.

Of course with the internet you can get anything here, obviously, but I'd already given up watching the news and following politics anyway as a way to be more concentrated on writing and creativity.

All that said, it's not a panacea here for becoming rich and famous and writing a 450 page book a month...but it's definitely more conducive to sitting down each day and getting in lots of hours of writing/editing/etc...

Offline Melody Simmons

• View Profile
    • Bookcoverscre8tive
« Reply #79 on: July 13, 2017, 04:12:15 PM »
Thank you moderators for leaving this running.

I never wanted to open a political discussion.

What I would like to say about politics and the American news, and so forth is that getting away from that, and not just news, but American television and American dramas, has been AMAZING for creativity.

This isn't new...but not having a television, not watching the news, not reading a newspaper..etc...it's very liberating, as everyone might imagine.   What being here does is to MAKE it easier to avoid.

I will, however, possibly...maybe, be hunting for a restaurant or bar that is going to have a Game of Thrones night.

Of course with the internet you can get anything here, obviously, but I'd already given up watching the news and following politics anyway as a way to be more concentrated on writing and creativity.

All that said, it's not a panacea here for becoming rich and famous and writing a 450 page book a month...but it's definitely more conducive to sitting down each day and getting in lots of hours of writing/editing/etc...

It will depend on one's priorities.  There are no generalizations in life.  Are you married?  Do you have kids?  When I was younger I traveled a lot too (hey, maybe that's where my creativity comes from?) and I lived on three different continents!  But my kids are a bit older now - and they need stability.  They need a good education.  They are probably the only kids in the world that beg NOT to go on an aeroplane because they did that so regularly.  So I had to settle down - so they can make friends, have a sense of security and stability. 

So if you are young - go for it!  If you are old and retired - probably go for it too!  But if you have children - for their sake don't keep moving and don't stay in countries where they have no proper peers and good schools.  Especially when they reach like 10 years of age...

Offline Alan Petersen

• San Francisco, CA
  • I write high octane thrillers.
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Action Thrillers from Alan Petersen
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2017, 05:51:26 PM »
I have heard excellent things about Medellin, and considered that as a potential destination, but always thought Costa Rica seemed to touristy.

That always cracks me up. The tourists complaining that a place too touristy.  I do that as well when I travel. ;D

Glad that's sparking a creative buzz for you! That's always a good thing and travel is fun.

Online kathrynoh

• Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Kathryn O'Halloran
« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2017, 06:14:18 PM »
But my kids are a bit older now - and they need stability.  They need a good education.  They are probably the only kids in the world that beg NOT to go on an aeroplane because they did that so regularly.  So I had to settle down - so they can make friends, have a sense of security and stability. 

My son hated travelling when he was still at home. I'd have never traveled with him because of those reasons and also because he'd have been constantly nagging, which would've been a pain for both of us.

It always amazes me when people ask if they could go nomad with kids. Like no one develops a personality until they turn 18 and before that, you can lump all kids in together. Some kids are going to thrive in an environment of constant change and some will be as miserable as hell.

IMO there is way too much advice to follow your dreams NOW online. Of course, that sells but it's not always the best way. You have to sort out what's an excuse that you are just using to hold yourself back and what's a real responsibility that needs to be top priority in your life.

Offline Ted Cross

• Nassau, Bahamas
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2017, 04:56:50 AM »
My kids spent their entire lives moving from country to country. They speak perfect American English but don't feel like Americans in a real sense, especially once they returned to the US for college, where they felt so out of place. There are true benefits of living a worldly life, but there are drawbacks as well.

Ted Cross | blog | facebook

Offline elizabethbarone

• Watertown, CT
  • Contemporary Romance & Suspense
    • View Profile
    • Elizabeth Barone: Contemporary Romance & Suspense
« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2017, 10:29:46 AM »
I'm so glad I finally checked out this thread. I've been thinking about leaving the U.S. too -- I've had enough American drama for a lifetime -- but I would definitely need to find a place that isn't expensive and has good health care (I have an autoimmune disease that may be developing into Lupus, and requires medication and monitoring).

I don't have children, but even if I did, I don't think that'd stop me. I think it depends on how you treat them. Are they just extra pieces of baggage in your adventures? Or are you involving them in the process? I know someone who lived as a nomad for a year, traveling across the U.S. in an RV with their family of four. Their kids loved it, but I think that's mostly because they were included.

Connect With Me: BlogFacebook | Instagram

Offline brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2017, 12:48:52 PM »
I'm in the process of researching where we're going to move. I have friends trying to talk me into Ecuador or Belize, but that's too far from places I want to visit. Somewhere in Europe. Ireland or the UK would be nice because of English, but it's so expensive. Strongly considering Portugal or Spain. If the current regime in Russia wasn't so autocratic and confrontational, then St. Petersburg would fit the bill quite nicely. I hear nice things about Prague. The thing is, I can write anywhere. Trying to get my SO's online career kickstarted. But within the next two years, I'll be spending a large portion of my time out of the U.S.

BR Kingsolver | Author website

Offline Kay Bratt

• www.kaybratt.com
    • View Profile
    • www.kaybratt.com
« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2017, 03:50:50 PM »
My family lived in China for nearly five years as expats. However, we were under the protection (and expenses) of my husband's company. I turned my journal from those years into my first book, a memoir. The success of that memoir -- recently rolled over 100,000 copies sold -- was the catalyst for me trading my HR background for a career as a novelist. 

I've been home in the states for a decade now and about a year ago we got the bug to be expats again. This time on our own dime. We researched many countries, but ultimately set our sights on Panama. We took a two-week relocation tour and it was the coolest thing ever. For a couple of grand (for both of us), we got to join a dozen or so other couples from all over the world and tour the cities, country, and beaches of Panama. We were taken to different housing options, something fitting everyone's budget. We even talked to other expats who lived in various cities and towns. Many of them on less than $1000 a month. One woman was living a great life for only $600 a month in Boquete. The tour included a hospital visit if we chose, as well as quick trips through grocery stores, banks, etc.. to see what it would be like to live there.

From all that we saw, I knew I could make a living there just by my writing income. We decided to go and sold nearly everything. Then life threw us a curve ball and we had to change plans. All that said to tell you that if you can save up for a relocation tour, I think it's is the best way to make such a life-changing decision.

PS. I wrote about the boots-on-the-ground Panama tour, too. So the trip wasn't a total loss because I got to write off part of it, as well as experience a new country and it's culture. We also bonded with three other American couples, two of which did move Panama and now we have an open invitation to visit and a free place to stay.

Kay Bratt, Capturing the Heart of Humanity | author website | facebook | twitter | goodreads

Offline Evenstar

• South West England
  • YA and PNR
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2017, 04:10:01 PM »
Before kids, we rented out our house and lived abroad for a year. Twice. (Different places).

I can tell you from personal experience that it isn't all it's cracked up to be. Whether it be in the South of France among the vines, or on the rugged coast of Wales, I was desperately relieved to get home again. I didn't see it at the time (I am cheerful and make the best of things in general), but once we were back it was like the sun after a storm. I was convinced I wanted to live the good life in the country, but it turns out that I didn't.

I won't leave again... England is home and sometimes home truly is what we need to be happy even if we can't see that except with hindsight.

But I definitely want a little holiday house in France when I retire  :D

Offline Colin

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2017, 04:31:48 PM »

Whether it be in the South of France among the vines, or on the rugged coast of Wales....

I'm trying to grow vines on the rugged coast of Wales. Should I seek therapy or raise a glass to optimism?

Offline dgcasey

• Las Vegas
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2017, 04:33:47 PM »
If you're renting a house, I think you could bring a tiger as long as you paid your rent.

That right there could be fodder for many books.  :D
In The Mist - The Chronicles of Wyndweir Book #2: 11%

City of Time: 29%

In The Beginning - Pale Riders, Inc. Book #1: 77%
War is coming. They think he can be their leader. He's not so sure.
D Glenn Casey | My author\\\'s blog | My artist\\\'s blog

Offline dgcasey

• Las Vegas
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2017, 04:41:53 PM »
Getting old and frail in my "old age" the ex-pat life on foreign soil is probably not in the cards for me. I'd love to move to Florence for a couple of years and attend classes at the Academy of Art, but maybe in the next life.

The idea I've been mulling over for the past few months is getting rid of half my stuff, or more, and getting a 25-30' RV and hitting the road and traveling all over the U.S. and Canada. I can do my writing from anywhere and being an artist, I'd get to work a little on my landscape painting. That would be the life that would appeal to me.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 05:05:17 PM by dgcasey »

Offline dgcasey

• Las Vegas
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 14, 2017, 04:51:59 PM »
Well then; going abroad didn't do him much good, did it?

The king of France was sitting at his bedside and holding his hand when he died. I'm guessing he had a pretty good life up until he died there.

Offline dgcasey

• Las Vegas
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 14, 2017, 04:56:13 PM »
That's interesting, Alan. Do you know why so many expats end up leaving Costa Rica?

Cost of living, a tropical climate and a large expat community.

Online kathrynoh

• Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Kathryn O'Halloran
« Reply #92 on: July 14, 2017, 06:25:41 PM »
I'm in the process of researching where we're going to move. I have friends trying to talk me into Ecuador or Belize, but that's too far from places I want to visit. Somewhere in Europe. Ireland or the UK would be nice because of English, but it's so expensive. Strongly considering Portugal or Spain. If the current regime in Russia wasn't so autocratic and confrontational, then St. Petersburg would fit the bill quite nicely. I hear nice things about Prague. The thing is, I can write anywhere. Trying to get my SO's online career kickstarted. But within the next two years, I'll be spending a large portion of my time out of the U.S.

I spent two months in Porto this year. It's very cheap. I had a huge apartment with study and a weekly linen service for well under a grand (Australia, so even less in USD). I did find the food a bit heavy though. It's a very meat and carb based diet. Lisbon is a bit more expensive but much nicer.

Offline Abderian

• View Profile
    • JJ Green
« Reply #93 on: July 14, 2017, 06:28:45 PM »

Writers living in Ireland can claim an artist's tax exemption on their income from sales of their work. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/income_tax/artists_exemption_from_income_tax.html
But it rains a lot!

Offline JaydenHunter

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 14, 2017, 07:19:24 PM »
Getting old and frail in my "old age" the ex-pat life on foreign soil is probably not in the cards for me. I'd love to move to Florence for a couple of years and attend classes at the Academy of Art, but maybe in the next life.

The idea I've been mulling over for the past few months is getting rid of half my stuff, or more, and getting a 25-30' RV and hitting the road and traveling all over the U.S. and Canada. I can do my writing from anywhere and being an artist, I'd get to work a little on my landscape painting. That would be the life that would appeal to me.

I got rid of 98% of my belongings.  I was being literal when I said everything I owned weighed about 57 pounds because I had to take one commercial airliner from the east coast to Cali before getting to the border.

Btw, there's an old friend of my dad's who bought a four-wheel drive RV van and spent 3 years traveling the coast from Baja, Mexico, up to Oregon.  He finally sold his RV and bought a house in the woods, but he really enjoyed the camping along the beaches of Baja and made many friends (including snow bird Canadians).

If you're young enough to travel in an RV, you're certainly young enough to expat just about anywhere.  But, if you like traveling and camping then there are literally thousands of people that do this and you'll end up making friends.

Offline JaydenHunter

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 14, 2017, 07:25:02 PM »
I'm so glad I finally checked out this thread. I've been thinking about leaving the U.S. too -- I've had enough American drama for a lifetime -- but I would definitely need to find a place that isn't expensive and has good health care (I have an autoimmune disease that may be developing into Lupus, and requires medication and monitoring).

Lots of places have good health care, some better than others.  Here in Mexico, from what I've heard, basic health care is cheap and the doctors are good.  I've talked to a few people that told me that many Americans come to GDL for medical school, but that's just third hand, so I  can't verify it.

What I can mention is the blog somewhere in here that someone posted RE: Russell Blake's musing on Mexico.  I think he talks about medical stuff in that blog.  Basically you don't need insurance here, you just pay for your doctor and hospital visits as they are very affordable.

I went to the clinic with flu symptoms and it was about $4 USD to see the doctor and less than $10 USD to get all the meds I needed (antibiotics, some electrolyte fluids, and a pain killer, oh, plus some other thing...ha ha, I don't remember I just drank it).

Hope you find a way to try, it's really changed my life forever.

Offline JaydenHunter

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 14, 2017, 07:33:40 PM »

There is, I've heard, a big indie writer community in Ecuador.  I think Belize has become another place, like Costa Rica, that has got so much attention and so many expats, that it's not so cheap and not so "third worldish" if that's what you're looking for.

If you live in a cheap Latin American country, you can afford to fly to Europe, so there's that as a consideration.  There's tons of German's here in GDL, although I'm told the flights to here are expensive because it's not a tourist destination, but the flights to the coastal tourist towns are pretty reasonable.

I never considered Europe due to the cost and also the social unrest.  I feel safer here in Mexico than I'd feel even in London, but maybe that's just being paranoid.  I do feel like if there's conflict (bombings, riots, shootings) it's vastly more likely to be in Europe than say Mexico or Colombia, etc.

But, of course, everyone has their own tastes and such.  And, also, to be fair, I don't know what I don't know....  I love it here, but God, maybe if I was in Berlin or St. Petersburg or Vietnam I'd be in love too....

It's hard to know.

Sort of like having a mate...you love the one you're with, but that doesn't mean all the other countries are terrible options.

Offline jbrown67

• Saskatoon, SK, Canada
  • Book Cover Illustration
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Brown Graphics
« Reply #97 on: July 14, 2017, 08:22:00 PM »
That's awesome to hear!

I'm doing the same thing but working as a freelance digital artist. I do make a good amount of money but it goes way further here. For about $650 USD/month I rent a huge 4 bedroom 6 bathroom house in a gated community with a yard and a pool, I own a new car and I am saving up to buy a house here in Mexico. Living back home (Canada) I would have to pay over $2500 per month to have a house anything close to this one.

Learning a second or third language is amazing in terms of keeping your mind active and creative as well. I really think it is one of the best things creative people can possibly do.
$500 Custom Cover Illustration
www.jeffbrowngraphics.com
jeff@jeffbrowngraphics.com

Offline Travelian

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 14, 2017, 09:33:22 PM »
I feel safer here in Mexico than I'd feel even in London, but maybe that's just being paranoid.  I do feel like if there's conflict (bombings, riots, shootings) it's vastly more likely to be in Europe than say Mexico or Colombia, etc.
I've looked at places to move and ruled out Central/South America because I have exactly the opposite feeling about those places.

I lump drug cartels right alongside political unrest and terrorist attacks. In all cases, it's a matter of wrong place-wrong time. In terms of safety, you also have to factor in police corruption and social inequality. Which also works against Mexico, etc.

In terms of Europe I'd love to live somewhere close to the Mediterranean like Spain or Cyprus. But it seems hard to get a long-term visa unless you're wealthy or an EU citizen.

Offline JaydenHunter

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 15, 2017, 06:48:19 AM »
I've looked at places to move and ruled out Central/South America because I have exactly the opposite feeling about those places.

I lump drug cartels right alongside political unrest and terrorist attacks. In all cases, it's a matter of wrong place-wrong time. In terms of safety, you also have to factor in police corruption and social inequality. Which also works against Mexico, etc.

In terms of Europe I'd love to live somewhere close to the Mediterranean like Spain or Cyprus. But it seems hard to get a long-term visa unless you're wealthy or an EU citizen.

The drug cartels do not target civilian populations as a rule, even the American "travel warnings" on the State Department website don't give warnings in general, just specific areas (and often specific times).

Now, all that said, even though the  terrorism stuff makes the news, it's still going to be rare to be bombed or shot...

Social inequity is everywhere, in my opinion, but indeed, Mexico does have a very sharp class system.

Nothing is perfect.  When it comes to the cost of living, both Latin America and much of SE Asia have an advantage over Europe.

My brother expatted to Indo (Jakarta) for 8 years and he loved living there, but it's a different world for sure.