KB Featured Book
Wish Granted! Tips, Tools, and Templates to Write a Winning Grant
by Holly Rustick

$1.99
Kindle Edition published 2017-08-22
Bestseller ranking: 95983

Product Description
INCLUDES BONUS FREE E-DOWNLOADS: TEMPLATES FOR GRANT WRITING!

Grant writing shouldn’t feel like a trip to the dentist. Take the pain out of the process with this innovative and fun, yes fun, guide. Learn all the inside tips and tools of the grant-writing trade in this easy-to-read and upbeat book.
This book is definitely for you if:
•You break out in a cold sweat when your boss mentions the word ‘grant’.
•You’ve been tempted to throw your computer against the wall while writing a grant.
•You happily tell stakeholders there’s plenty of grants out there … but haven’t the faintest idea how to write and get one!
•You think you can send out a bog-standard letter to a bunch of organizations and get funded.
•Your eyes glaze over when you’re presented with grant writing jargon and acronyms.
•Your organization’s grant success A-game has r...

Author Topic: KENPC 0.0042229 for June  (Read 12502 times)  

Offline Glynn Stewart

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Faolan's Pen
KENPC 0.0042229 for June
« on: July 14, 2017, 11:37:12 AM »
Another 2.7% down after last month's five percent hit.

Store   Currency   RateChange from Prior
Amazon.com   USD   0.0042229 -2.7%
Amazon.co.uk   GBP   0.0032387 0.0%
Amazon.de   EUR   0.0028819 -2.7%
Amazon.fr   EUR   0.0041932 -2.7%
Amazon.co.jp   JPY   0.5233897 -2.7%
Amazon.ca   CAD   0.0041523 -2.7%
Amazon.it   EUR   0.0041932 -2.7%
Amazon.es   EUR   0.0041932 -2.7%
Amazon.in   INR   0.0821403 -2.7%
Amazon.com.au   AUD   0.0036268 -2.7%
Amazon.com.br   BRL   0.0102134 -2.7%
Amazon.com.mx   MXN   0.0702803 -2.7%

We've gone from steadily acceptable (in the high .4s, IMO) to a steady slide and I'm not going to pretend I'm not concerned. Not pulling the trigger on exit plans yet, but starting to make them with rather shorter execution timelines.

Glynn Stewart | Faolan's Pen (Blog) | Twitter

Offline Ryan W. Mueller

• Missour, United States
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
Re: KENPC 0.0042229 for June
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 11:41:17 AM »
I hope this trend doesn't continue. I'm currently in KU with my first book, and even with the low royalties, I'm still doing better in KU than I am in actual sales.
God Child (The God War's Chosen, #2): 65%

The Broken Sky (The Broken Sky, #1: 10%
Ryan W. Mueller | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Mailing List

Online Craig Andrews

• Portland, OR
    • View Profile
    • Craig Andrews Website
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 11:42:54 AM »
Ugh... This isn't a trend I like seeing.

Online KhaosFoxe

• Co. Kerry, Ireland
  • English expat, UF author.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 12:28:54 PM »
I can't say I'm at all happy about this trend, but I'm still making quite a more from page reads than sales. That and I can't afford a big push to go wide and establish myself wide right now. I'm just going to keep writing and hope for the best.

Bisexual writing LGBT+ UF. Celestial Tears to be published late November.

Offline HemieSamed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 12:36:12 PM »
I've been lurking for a few months now and this has actually spooked me. Lately, one or two of those KU scam promos that guarantee downloads have gone practically mainstream. I'm sure the banhammer from Amazon is coming for the abusers, but it can't come down fast enough.

Online Colin

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 12:56:23 PM »
"Your margin is my opportunity" - Amazon CEO, Jeff Bezos.

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 01:08:41 PM »
That's about a 14% decline since Feb. Or in real numbers, about a $680 loss per 1M page-reads per month. Or $2720 for the last 4 months at an average 1M pages per month. Steel Magnolia averages well over 1M, so by extrapolation, we're looking at a hit well into the 5-figures for the year, and that's if the payout doesn't decline more but plateaus. Not figures I sneeze at.

The gap amount needed to be made up by going wide is fast closing. I'm with Glynn. Keeping authors exclusive in a scam-ridden system that's losing value means Amazon will need to up its game.

We've made more over the past two years being in KU than we would have made out. I'm happy with the time we've spent in and would continue to be happy being fairly compensated. But I'm flexible. Pulling out and going wide again certainly isn't off the table. It's simply as much a business decision as is what Amazon decides to risk each month with its payouts and by not dealing with the scammers.

That's "supposed" to apply to the competition, not to your business partners. Although, yes, I'm well aware of the thumbscrews Amazon applies to its suppliers.

Online Colin

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 01:18:41 PM »
That's "supposed" to apply to the competition, not to your business partners. Although, yes, I'm well aware of the thumbscrews Amazon applies to its suppliers.

Agreed, Phoenix, but it's a very unequal partnership for suppliers of digital content - especially for indie authors and indie publishers.

:--(

Offline Going Incognito

• It's always the quiet ones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 01:24:57 PM »

Lol, that's exactly what I said last night in the click farm thread. Great minds and all that.

Offline Eric Thomson

• The Great White North
    • View Profile
    • Eric Thomson's Sci-Fi Worlds
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 01:25:47 PM »
Since KU2.0's inception two years ago, the payout has dropped by 27%.  If you factor in the reduction in KENP that hit so many people last year, the real payout drop is over 30%.

Eric Thomson | Blog | Facebook | Website

Offline Glynn Stewart

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Faolan's Pen
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 01:27:33 PM »
This is what the trend looks like since Jan 2016 (was easiest to exclude 2015), with peaks and valleys labelled with their max and min.

This isn't, quite, the lowest it's ever been but it's working on it.

Glynn Stewart | Faolan's Pen (Blog) | Twitter

Offline Going Incognito

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 01:37:09 PM »
Since KU2.0's inception two years ago, the payout has dropped by 27%.  If you factor in the reduction in KENP that hit so many people last year, the real payout drop is over 30%.

Grrr, the old rock vs hard place.
I've been in KU since it started, but I got fed up during the Fall thing, so I spent December (2016) moving wide, with my bookbub ad at the end of dec being my carrot to get it done fast.
Aaaaand then I crawled back to KU at the end of feb for a hopeful better March on. And since crawling back, yep, back to making 2-4 times the money every month, depending.

The quote nails it. It's my margin he's killing with each rate drop, but it's still more of a profit margin getting screwed than going wide. For me, anyway.

What's that old joke?
Will you sleep with me for a million dollars?
Sure!
How bout for 10 instead?
No! Just what kind of person do you think I am?
Ummm, we've already answered that. Now we're just haggling over price.

Online Colin

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 01:48:06 PM »

Lol, that's exactly what I said last night in the click farm thread. Great minds and all that.

Ooops.... sorry if I infringed your copyright!  Cheque's/check's in the postbox/mailbox.

:-))

Offline Ryan W. Mueller

• Missour, United States
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 01:50:49 PM »
Without KU, I'd be freaking out at this point in my writing career. I've gone four days now without making a single sale, but I have been getting page reads in KU. Oddly enough, I actually make more from a full read in KU than I make from a sale at $2.99.
God Child (The God War's Chosen, #2): 65%

The Broken Sky (The Broken Sky, #1: 10%
Ryan W. Mueller | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Mailing List

Offline SuzyQ

• milkshake + boys = yard
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 02:06:34 PM »
Oh, now I need to go read the click farm thread. It is disgusting how scammers are destroying KU for real writers. And by real writers, I mean anyone really trying to do good work. It doesn't even have to actually BE good. Just try.

There are people releasing 2-4 1700 page novellas a month. All written by who knows what (poorly paid ghosts and robots from what I hear). And some of them are using click farms on top of it.

Can't they find another industry to scam?

I wish I could believe there was a hammer coming down, but I don't see how they can even address this. It's rampant.

Offline Going Incognito

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 02:12:21 PM »
Ooops.... sorry if I infringed your copyright!  Cheque's/check's in the postbox/mailbox.

:-))

Shhh. Don't say that out loud. Everyone who ever quoted him before me will want a cut.

I'm thinking people are starting to finally catch on tho that things like petitions aren't going to do anything.

Online Colin

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 02:16:47 PM »

Shhh. Don't say that out loud. Everyone who ever quoted him before me will want a cut.

I'm thinking people are starting to finally catch on tho that things like petitions aren't going to do anything.

:--)

Offline Homer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 03:34:54 PM »
Go look at what's #1 in the paid Kindle store right now. A perfect example of why payout keeps dropping.

Offline Michael-Allen

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 03:39:05 PM »
Go look at what's #1 in the paid Kindle store right now. A perfect example of why payout keeps dropping.

Woah what the heck. Published in October 2016. 15 Reviews and now #1 in the whole store. His two other books have 1 review and 20 reviews, so it doesn't seem like he has a huge audience. Wonder how he did it?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 03:43:21 PM by Michael-Allen »

Offline jcalloway

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2017, 03:59:08 PM »

This is bloody absurd.

It's not even subtle.

Offline juliatheswede

• NYC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2017, 04:00:55 PM »
Can you provide a link? I can't find it.

No links, please. Drop me a PM if you have any questions. - Becca
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 10:46:30 PM by Becca Mills »

Offline LindsayBuroker

• Prescott, AZ
    • View Profile
    • Lindsay Buroker's Spiffy Blog
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2017, 04:07:04 PM »

Don't miss this one. It's been in the Top 10 overall for days. Oddly, it hasn't gotten any new reviews...

[link redacted]

Both this and the current #1 are epic fantasy, a genre that you'd be hard-pressed to ever find in the Top 100 much less the Top 10.

Here's hoping (however naively) that Amazon catches the June scammers, recalculates the pay out, and makes adjustments. Hey, it could happen. ;)

Edited. Drop me a PM if you have any questions. - Becca
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 10:34:45 PM by Becca Mills »

Offline Homer

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2017, 04:11:06 PM »
Don't miss this one. It's been in the Top 10 overall for days. Oddly, it hasn't gotten any new reviews...

[link redacted]

Both this and the current #1 are epic fantasy, a genre that you'd be hard-pressed to ever find in the Top 100 much less the Top 10.

Edited. Drop me a PM if you have any questions. - Becca

That author zooms to the top of epic fantasy once a month for a few days, then sinks down into obscurity again. Usually he does it with one of his 800 page omnibuses released 5 years ago. This is the first time I've seen him do it with a new book. If he's getting paid for page reads, that's thousands of KU dollars sucked from the common pot every month fraudulently.

I wonder if they use the same clickfarm.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 10:35:37 PM by Becca Mills »

Offline DanaFraser

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2017, 04:21:53 PM »
That author zooms to the top of epic fantasy once a month for a few days, then sinks down into obscurity again. Usually he does it with one of his 800 page omnibuses released 5 years ago. This is the first time I've seen him do it with a new book. If he's getting paid for page reads, that's thousands of KU dollars sucked from the common pot every month fraudulently.

I wonder if they use the same clickfarm.

I am not a fan of Mathias as a person (on the KDP/DTP forums long ago) or as a writer, but I don't think he's scamming anything. He had success before KU ever came along. He launched with long books at prices just a smidgen below what major publishers would price similarly themed works of the same length. Now, he does have a preview and a novella in there (at the back) -- but the last Jack Reacher book I read did, too. If it's ok for a book out of KU to have those reader bonuses and future work advertising, it doesn't become an illegitimate tactic because it's in KU.

Offline DanaFraser

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2017, 04:25:39 PM »
Thank you for figuring out the numbers, Glynn! I was miffed the javascript button that Eric Stone so kindly worked up years ago was rendered obsolete by the new dashboard. And I was admittedly too lazy to put everything into excel and figure out how many KENP read I had in order to figure payout.

If anyone has suggested Amazon is intentionally making the number more obscure, I second (or third, or whatever we're up to) that idea.