Author Topic: KENPC 0.0042229 for June  (Read 10994 times)  

Offline brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
Re: KENPC 0.0042229 for June
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2017, 06:55:49 AM »
In the end, no reader will trust Amazon's completely corrupt ranking system - no matter how many "extra special", "super duper", "this is the the real deal" additional lists they create.
I think rank is an obsession with authors, but I don't think readers care about the ranking system. They only care if they can find books they want to read. Considering how broken the search function is, and has been forever, the ranking system doesn't seem to be hurting Zon any.

As for ditching KU, that will happen when the netherworld freezes. As long as readers keep subscribing, Zon doesn't care who or how many authors go wide. Even those who are wide still sell their books through Zon, and readers with Kindles will still be buying them.

BR Kingsolver | Author website

Online Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2017, 07:00:37 AM »
I think rank is an obsession with authors, but I don't think readers care about the ranking system. They only care if they can find books they want to read. Considering how broken the search function is, and has been forever, the ranking system doesn't seem to be hurting Zon any.

As for ditching KU, that will happen when the netherworld freezes. As long as readers keep subscribing, Zon doesn't care who or how many authors go wide. Even those who are wide still sell their books through Zon, and readers with Kindles will still be buying them.

Before I started publishing with kdp, I didn't even know there was a ranking system.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group

Offline V.P.

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2017, 07:13:01 AM »
Before I started publishing with kdp, I didn't even know there was a ranking system.

Same here.

Offline anniejocoby

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 15, 2017, 07:25:30 AM »
I'm not in KU (except for a couple of off-brand things I don't advertise) and didn't make the money in KU that I do outside of KU. Every month I read these threads when they come up to see where the state of things are, though, and every month I'm glad that for whatever reason the lack of page reads drove me out two years ago.

The threads of the past tended to transition from initial sky-is-falling to but-i'm-still-staying-it's-not-so-bad. This is the first one that looks like it's going to stick in sky-is-falling mode, and next month's inevitable 0.0041 is gonna be worse.

Thoughts:

If KU is truly going downhill from Amazon's perspective--that is, it's reached (or will be reaching) a tipping point where enough customers are dissatisfied with the product to make it no longer 'effective' for them--I don't think the solution will be to eliminate the program. A solution will certainly be to clean up the clickfarms, but they don't appear to be either capable or willing to do that. Another solution would be to improve the quality of the books in KU. (Said without intending disparagement of the books that are in KU right now that all of you are selling.) What I mean is: if they take away the exclusivity mandate in KU, it would widen the marketplace. I would certainly put my books there if I could do that and still sell them elsewhere.

As for getting out of KU and going wide, I understand the challenge that represents to a lot of people here. I would think of going wide as a long-term investment. I just sank a ton of unexpected capital from the beginning of this year into audiobooks--all of my stuff will be in audio by the end of this month--and I don't expect to make all of that money back before sometime next year. Going wide may require the same kind of long-term thinking, albeit using a lot less capital. It's possible the question to ask is not: did I make as much wide as I was in KU, but, a year from now, will I be making as much wide as I would be a year from now in KU?

Aw, Gene, you're making too much sense! You're right, though, if they want to attract all the big-name indie authors, they would drop exclusivity. I really don't know how it benefits them, anyhow - they're already king of the hill by a large margin, why do they care about us selling on those other puny platforms? I never quite understood that myself. Then again, boy, would there be an influx of stiff competition on Apple, et. al. But I would be happy to take that consequence in exchange for being able to sell on all platforms and have the advantages of KU.

Two dollars! Two dollars! I want my two dollars!!!
Annie Jocoby | ]Badge[/url] | Annie Jocoby website

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2017, 08:04:40 AM »
Aw, Gene, you're making too much sense! You're right, though, if they want to attract all the big-name indie authors, they would drop exclusivity. I really don't know how it benefits them, anyhow - they're already king of the hill by a large margin, why do they care about us selling on those other puny platforms? I never quite understood that myself. Then again, boy, would there be an influx of stiff competition on Apple, et. al. But I would be happy to take that consequence in exchange for being able to sell on all platforms and have the advantages of KU.
The last time I proposed that in a Kboards thread I got blasted, but I still think it's a good idea. KU readers looking for books don't care whether those books are exclusive on Amazon or not. Amazon could require that they not be listed on other subscription services (which pretty much means Scribd and that Kobo pilot), but other than that, people looking to borrow are looking to borrow. They're not looking to buy on Barnes and Noble.

The problem with Gene's long-term investment analogy is that not everyone takes off on the other venues, even in a year. Someone depending on writing income can't necessarily dump all the KU income, half or more than half of royalties for a lot of us, and wait however many months it takes to catch fire on other other venues--if we ever do. The success stories are mostly people who already had very large followings when they made the move, at least from what I can see. (My ventures into audio are also taking much longer than a year to pay off.)

On the other hand, if one doesn't have to choose between wide and KU, that makes every wide sale extra income, so even if there aren't many, it suddenly becomes worth it.

I'm not sure how much of a difference that would make. If enough wide authors joined KU, their collective impact would probably have to pull in a lot of new subscribers or in order to appreciably benefit the payout, and there would be a lot more competition for the page reads. It's also true there would be more competition for indie sales on other venues.

For readers, the idea is a clear win. For Amazon it probably makes little difference. For authors, it's hard to say. My guess is that prawns like me would still be prawns, and big sellers would still be big sellers. The one thing I'm sure it would do is take the monthly agonizing over KU out of the equation. If KU is essentially extra income (that is, if it doesn't cannibalize sales), there's very little reason not to have it.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Crystal_

• Portland, OR
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2017, 09:14:38 AM »
With PageFlip concerns, All Star bonus thresholds going up because of stuffing, and the page rate going down, KU is getting less desirable. I don't have a personal attachment to one strategy or another. I'll do what makes me the most money for the least effort and stress. But I really have no way of knowing what will make me the most money until I try it, and 6-12 bad months wide are not going to help me if I have to return to KU. It's not as simple as "the rate sucks, I'm going wide!"

I'm planning to take some of my backlist wide to test the waters. They're books that don't sell a ton anymore, so it's not as risky a move. But moving my entire catalogue? Not a risk I'm willing to take. Not all at once.

Online KhaosFoxe

• Co. Kerry, Ireland
  • English expat, developmental editor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2017, 09:32:58 AM »
With PageFlip concerns, All Star bonus thresholds going up because of stuffing, and the page rate going down, KU is getting less desirable. I don't have a personal attachment to one strategy or another. I'll do what makes me the most money for the least effort and stress. But I really have no way of knowing what will make me the most money until I try it, and 6-12 bad months wide are not going to help me if I have to return to KU. It's not as simple as "the rate sucks, I'm going wide!"

I'm planning to take some of my backlist wide to test the waters. They're books that don't sell a ton anymore, so it's not as risky a move. But moving my entire catalogue? Not a risk I'm willing to take. Not all at once.

This.

I can't afford to pull all of my books and just ride out the 6 - 12 month period of low earnings where I'm establishing myself wide.

I'm currently in the process of pulling my first series out (the last 2 will be out in 2 weeks) and putting them wide. I'm using the first two books in that series to aggressively grow my mailing list via Instafreebie. We'll see what happens with that series. I'll make an informed decision from there.

The simple fact of the matter is, I'm doing the best I can with the situation I have.

Offline JRTomlin

• View Profile
    • J. R. Tomlin on Writing and More
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2017, 09:37:29 AM »
Does this count as evidence? This is one of the books that regularly goes to #1 in fantasy and then vanishes. Check out the also-boughts. Then find me another fantasy book with hundreds of reviews with also boughts of only that author and completely random non-fiction books. Is there any other fantasy author in the also boughts there? Little strange, don't you think?

[link redacted]

Edited. Drop me a PM if you have any questions. - Becca
Very strange, as I already said.

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin | J. R. Tomlin | Writing and More

Offline Homer

• View Profile

Offline Monique

• California
    • View Profile
    • Written by Monique
« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2017, 10:22:03 AM »

Monique Martin | author website | facebook | twitter

Online Going Incognito

• It's always the quiet ones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2017, 10:59:03 AM »
... in exchange for being able to sell on all platforms and have the advantages of KU.

The reason Amazon gives books in KU those advantages is because they can say you can't get those books anywhere else.

Offline Becca Mills

• California
  • Beware the yellow snowball.
    • View Profile
    • The Active Voice
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2017, 11:14:09 AM »
The reason Amazon gives books in KU those advantages is because they can say you can't get those books anywhere else.

I'm sure that's true, but there would still be good ways to spin the situation if they scaled back exclusivity such that books just couldn't be in the Scibd and Kobo subscription services. "3,000,000 books for $9.99/month!" "On any other site, you'd have to pay for these books!" "The only subscription service that has ALL THE  BOOKS!" Etc. As a KU user, I don't really care that KU books aren't on B&N. As a Kindle person, I don't use B&N anyway. What matters is that the KU books are feel free to me.

Non-exclusivity would bring far more books into KU, and I bet that expansion would make it even more dominant than it currently is. I mean, about the only reason for heavy readers not to join KU is that the books they happen to like aren't in it, as happened to Doglover. If all KDP-published books were in KU, fewer people would have the experience she had, and the service would add users. I think.

Offline Crystal_

• Portland, OR
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2017, 11:25:42 AM »
I'm sure that's true, but there would still be good ways to spin the situation if they scaled back exclusivity such that books just couldn't be in the Scibd and Kobo subscription services. "3,000,000 books for $9.99/month!" "On any other site, you'd have to pay for these books!" "The only subscription service that has ALL THE  BOOKS!" Etc. As a KU user, I don't really care that KU books aren't on B&N. As a Kindle person, I don't use B&N anyway. What matters is that the KU books are feel free to me.

Non-exclusivity would bring far more books into KU, and I bet that expansion would make it even more dominant than it currently is. I mean, about the only reason for heavy readers not to join KU is that the books they happen to like aren't in it, as happened to Doglover. If all KDP-published books were in KU, fewer people would have the experience she had, and the service would add users. I think.

I'm not sure I see the benefit for huge authors. Say I'm Lauren Blakey's. Why would I put one of my hits in KU if it means I'll earn 75% as much for every read? I can already get customers to pay 3.99. Why teach customers they can get my books for free? (I'm aware that some of Lauren Blakey's bold are in KU).

Offline HSh

• Homicide, She Typed
  • Manslaughter, She Inscribed
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2017, 11:38:27 AM »
I wouldn't go back in (even if they changed the exclusivity requirement) unless they fixed the page read / payment issue.  Why should I cannibalize sales and not get paid for page reads?  I mean, I could just borrow a gun and shoot myself in the foot instead...  :P
Hollis Shiloh  | My blog | Amazon page

Offline Rick Partlow

• Central Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2017, 11:46:55 AM »
As for getting out of KU and going wide, I understand the challenge that represents to a lot of people here. I would think of going wide as a long-term investment. I just sank a ton of unexpected capital from the beginning of this year into audiobooks--all of my stuff will be in audio by the end of this month--and I don't expect to make all of that money back before sometime next year. Going wide may require the same kind of long-term thinking, albeit using a lot less capital. It's possible the question to ask is not: did I make as much wide as I was in KU, but, a year from now, will I be making as much wide as I would be a year from now in KU?

And for many people the answer is an obvious "no." 

Offline Shelley K

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2017, 12:02:07 PM »
Go on strike .  Go wide.   If you're not willing to walk, do us a favor and cut the talk.

Pretty sure people are going to continue to discuss it. If you're wide and the KENPC rate is of no concern to you, and in fact talk about it irritates you, maybe don't read threads clearly titled as being about it.

Offline GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2017, 12:29:10 PM »
I wouldn't go back in (even if they changed the exclusivity requirement) unless they fixed the page read / payment issue.  Why should I cannibalize sales and not get paid for page reads?  I mean, I could just borrow a gun and shoot myself in the foot instead...  :P

this taps into another long-running discussion. I'm not certain KU cannibalizes sales.

Online Going Incognito

• It's always the quiet ones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 15, 2017, 12:29:25 PM »

Ah, gotcha. "Sure, you can buy it everywhere, but you can only 'borrow' it here."

I'm not sure I see the benefit for huge authors. Say I'm Lauren Blakey's. Why would I put one of my hits in KU if it means I'll earn 75% as much for every read? I can already get customers to pay 3.99. Why teach customers they can get my books for free? (I'm aware that some of Lauren Blakey's bold are in KU).

The only reason I'd see would be to do what perma-frees used to do. Try me in KU. Like me? Then buy me.

Yeah, that still infuriates me. To make and then force-implement a software upgrade 'for better customer experience' that they admit doesn't count pages 'by design' and not allow people pubbing in KU to opt out makes me livid. Force it on paid sales, fine. But to design a system that does not count pages and then not allow those who get paid by pages read being counted? See, to me, that's just one more huge hole in the story they're selling. I had my doubts for a long time that the payout really was as easy as pot divided by reads, but that was the clincher to me. I'm firmly in the 'we'll pay you what suites us every month' camp now, and have been since that. At least their TOS is finally as blunt as the 'your margin is my opportunity' quote. 'A page read is what we say it is?' Lol, yeah. We know. No [crap]. But thanks for putting it in writing.

Offline hunterone

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 15, 2017, 01:27:23 PM »
Another 2.7% down after last month's five percent hit.

Store   Currency   RateChange from Prior
Amazon.com   USD   0.0042229 -2.7%
Amazon.co.uk   GBP   0.0032387 0.0%
Amazon.de   EUR   0.0028819 -2.7%
Amazon.fr   EUR   0.0041932 -2.7%
Amazon.co.jp   JPY   0.5233897 -2.7%
Amazon.ca   CAD   0.0041523 -2.7%
Amazon.it   EUR   0.0041932 -2.7%
Amazon.es   EUR   0.0041932 -2.7%
Amazon.in   INR   0.0821403 -2.7%
Amazon.com.au   AUD   0.0036268 -2.7%
Amazon.com.br   BRL   0.0102134 -2.7%
Amazon.com.mx   MXN   0.0702803 -2.7%

We've gone from steadily acceptable (in the high .4s, IMO) to a steady slide and I'm not going to pretend I'm not concerned. Not pulling the trigger on exit plans yet, but starting to make them with rather shorter execution timelines.

Yeah i noticed it was lower. That sucks.

Offline HSh

• Homicide, She Typed
  • Manslaughter, She Inscribed
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2017, 02:01:24 PM »
this taps into another long-running discussion. I'm not certain KU cannibalizes sales.

My numbers show they did.  For me, that's how it rolls.  KU cannibalizes sales.  Which is fine, when KU pays.  Hey, I made bank in KUv1 and KUv2.  I did just fine.  Then something glitched, my pages weren't what they should've been for my ranks, and I wasn't getting the sales to make up for it.  It was pretty simple math.  Gotta get paid for either sales or reads if I want to keep doing this, you know?

You do what works for you.  But for me?  Yes, they absolutely did.
Hollis Shiloh  | My blog | Amazon page

Online Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
« Reply #95 on: July 15, 2017, 02:54:25 PM »

Mine, too. I took the books out of KU and my sales *on Amazon* tripled.

Offline JRTomlin

• View Profile
    • J. R. Tomlin on Writing and More
« Reply #96 on: July 15, 2017, 03:07:01 PM »
I'm not in KU (except for a couple of off-brand things I don't advertise) and didn't make the money in KU that I do outside of KU. Every month I read these threads when they come up to see where the state of things are, though, and every month I'm glad that for whatever reason the lack of page reads drove me out two years ago.

The threads of the past tended to transition from initial sky-is-falling to but-i'm-still-staying-it's-not-so-bad. This is the first one that looks like it's going to stick in sky-is-falling mode, and next month's inevitable 0.0041 is gonna be worse.

Thoughts:

If KU is truly going downhill from Amazon's perspective--that is, it's reached (or will be reaching) a tipping point where enough customers are dissatisfied with the product to make it no longer 'effective' for them--I don't think the solution will be to eliminate the program. A solution will certainly be to clean up the clickfarms, but they don't appear to be either capable or willing to do that. Another solution would be to improve the quality of the books in KU. (Said without intending disparagement of the books that are in KU right now that all of you are selling.) What I mean is: if they take away the exclusivity mandate in KU, it would widen the marketplace. I would certainly put my books there if I could do that and still sell them elsewhere.

The sky still isn't falling. Things just change and independent authors (or any business people for that matter) need to be prepared to deal with those changes. Acting from panic is one of the worst things we can do.

Both KU1 and 2 were very, very good to me. That doesn't mean they are/will be forever. I'm in the process of making the appropriate decision for my books and my fan base. :)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 03:11:06 PM by JRTomlin »

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin | J. R. Tomlin | Writing and More

Offline David VanDyke

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 15, 2017, 07:49:06 PM »
I went wide over the last 6 months for my English language books. It took that long to transition. I did it in a rolling transition from early books in series to later, so there was only about a 2-month slump of about a 50% drop in overall income. This month my income has recovered to about the same as before with KU. My English language book income is now about 50% Amazon, 50% everybody else.

One key to transition was to run promos on all the wide promo sites, i.e., the ones that hit all the vendors. This included a BookBub. As mentioned above, a Bookbub in your major series can be an incentive and a way to get traction on those other vendors.

I also have a good, well-curated email list that includes a fair number of wide fans from before my KU period, and permafrees (naturally wide) to build more up.

Bottom line, transitioning out of KU is like getting off a drug; it's painful for a little while, but you'll be healthier for it in the long run. And, my non-Amazon sales are continuing to rise, probably because the other vendors are less-fished ponds and the competition is lower.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 02:25:50 PM by David VanDyke »

Futuristic Thrillers, Mysteries and Science Fiction
David VanDyke | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Contact

Online Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
« Reply #98 on: July 15, 2017, 07:57:04 PM »
Bottom line, transitioning out of KU is like getting off a drug; it's painful for a little while, but you'll be healthier for it in the long run. And, my non-Amazon sales are continuing to rise, probably because the other vendors are less-fished ponds and the competition is lower.

This.

Also, when I have a no-new-release, no-promo month, like this month, it's my Amazon US sales that take by far the hardest hit. KU advertises heavily to Amazon US almost exclusively.
Meanwhile, Amazon UK sales are bigger than my US sales, and Amazon AU are also rising to be about a third of UK.
The other platforms tend to be oblivious to anything except when I send people there (through booked ads or direct ads), and they just keep chugging along during the bad months.

Offline Seneca42

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 15, 2017, 08:07:42 PM »

I think everyone should stay in KU  :P

Leave wide to the rest of us. Less competition.  ;D

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac