Author Topic: Tapas.io - Next Wattpad with Better Ways to Earn Money for Authors?  (Read 672 times)  

Offline RBC

• View Profile
    • RockingBookCovers.com
Hello!

Found out about Tapas through Jane Friedland's site and since it's a reputable source, this looks like a great opportunity.

Tapas.io is platform similar to Wattpad to publish serialized work and readers read on mobile more. It allows to Unlock new chapters by watching ads etc and to tip authors. They use a business model which mobile games are doing really well with so this seems like a good thing.

Here are posts about Tapas.io from Jane's site:

Intro and Interview with Founder of Tapas - https://janefriedman.com/new-platform-serials/

Q&A with Few Authors who post on Tapas - https://janefriedman.com/tapas-author-qa/

Check it out! The biggest growth for authors come from times when there is a new platform with lots of readers and not enough supply, that's when they can get most promotion for free from the platform itself (like being featured in Popular section etc). Less noise, means more opportunity. That's how indies like Amanda Hawking rose (back when they were getting hundreds of thousands free downloads per book, not tens of thousands). etc.

That's why this is promising (like finding Wattpad before it was huge already).

Anyone's using it already?

P.S. On the skeptic side, what happens if this isn't great and it fails? Well, authors lose nothing by joining. Even if you just gain 1000 fans there you can still drive them to your website and email list from the end of the stories. This can be leveraged for exposure not just on the platform alone. ;)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 10:03:07 AM by RBC »

Offline Joziejewelz

• View Profile
Re: Tapas.io - Next Wattpad with Better Ways to Earn Money for Authors?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 09:40:32 AM »
Thanks for this info, I'm about to go check it out.

Online C. Rysalis

• The Writer's Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 09:41:14 AM »

Check it out! The biggest growth for authors come from times when there is a new platform with lots of readers and not enough supply, that's when they can get most promotion for free from the platform itself (like being featured in Popular section etc).

DO they have lots of readers? Is there any data on this anywhere? Because usually, readers follow the authors, not the other way round...  :) maybe we should hold off on calling this the next Wattpad until millions of readers are confirmed.

Radish had a very similar business model, but with coin unlocks instead of ads. Did Radish ever take off? Last I knew, they weren't doing great, but I haven't checked on them in years now. I believe the main issue was that most readers still preferred Wattpad because it was free, not buggy, worked fine on mobile devices, and had a much greater selection in terms of content.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 09:44:06 AM by C. Rysalis »

Olivia Rising | Author page

Offline Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 09:44:52 AM »
They'd need millions of readers for it to work for advertisers.

I imagine Wattpad is okay, because it has millions of readers, but it is so hard to get them to include your book in the scheme, even if you are charting in the hot releases. It's easy to apply, but they don't keep you updated on how long it might take.

I'll take a look at this one.

Not sure if it's the same one, but I recieved an email asking me if I would be prepared to collaborate with a new platform for producing text message only stories of no more that 2,000 words for their start up, targeted at a teenage audience.

I have a WIP social media story on Wattpad, Manor High: Safe Zone, that has a lot of images of devices and eamails and it will have lots of texting images as it progresses. Even the front matter and about the author is part of the story. IWattpad has a similar story that's charting and it's included in their ad scheme.

Reading the Tapas site, it looks to be the same, or similar, because they want bite size sort of chapters that you flick quickly from one to the next. You can check out Manor High: Safe Zone to get an idea of what they are after. Sayng that, some of the chapters though very short would likely need chopping in two. It's the second cover.

https://www.wattpad.com/DeclanConner

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 10:18:45 AM by Decon »

Scorpion ebooks: Full length  thrillers with a sting in the tale. All enrolled in KU & Prime.
Declan Conner | blog

Offline RBC

• View Profile
    • RockingBookCovers.com
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 09:58:56 AM »
DO they have lots of readers? Is there any data on this anywhere? Because usually, readers follow the authors, not the other way round...  :) maybe we should hold off on calling this the next Wattpad until millions of readers are confirmed.

Radish had a very similar business model, but with coin unlocks instead of ads. Did Radish ever take off? Last I knew, they weren't doing great, but I haven't checked on them in years now. I believe the main issue was that most readers still preferred Wattpad because it was free, not buggy, worked fine on mobile devices, and had a much greater selection in terms of content.

You can see links to their stuff and numbers in the Q&A. Go to site and browse the Popular section.

The whole point of new platforms is just like goldrush, you gotta risk it. If it becomes a guaranteed thing (has millions of readers) then it won't be new. That's the whole point, use platform while it's small-ish, gain traction there and as it grows you'll ride the wave. It's like how older Twitter users got to 1 mil followers,  you wont get there now even tho it has 300mil users. You just wont because there is too much noise, but if you had started on Twitter when it was small and had little users, you'd have had great chance to breakout through Twitter. Same for Youtube, at first there were more vids than watchers and all videos had views because there was nothing to watch, it was enough to just upload a video. Now, good luck getting discovered there, it takes loads of time. Same with this platform.

And readers don't have to follow authors, Tapas might be spending money on advertising on Facebook. As their founder says in interview, they don't want to just target current readers, they want to bring in people who don't read yet (and that's why mobile phones is the winner, people can read there for 10 mins on their ride home in the subway). Which means they are smart enough to not just wait for authors to bring readers but also do stuff to gain audience.

Question is, are authors ready to take a chance or not.

Offline RBC

• View Profile
    • RockingBookCovers.com
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 10:01:15 AM »
They'd need millions of readers for it to work for advertisers.

If it was the only way they made money yeah, but the virtual currency (the thing from mobile games that makes games so much cash) is the more profitable thing most likely. That's the good innovation.

Offline Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 10:24:18 AM »
I think I'll. give it a go with Manor High: Safe Zone WIP assuming it can handle images the same as Wattpad.  I could never publish as an eBook anyway because it will have too many images and delivery charges would be too high. I could only ever have it on such as Wattpad or do it as a print book with B/W images.

This platform would be ideal for short stories, split into bite size chapters and wriiten as serials.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 10:26:03 AM by Decon »

Scorpion ebooks: Full length  thrillers with a sting in the tale. All enrolled in KU & Prime.
Declan Conner | blog

Online C. Rysalis

• The Writer's Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 10:30:36 AM »
You can see links to their stuff and numbers in the Q&A. Go to site and browse the Popular section.

Found it, thanks. So this isn't really a brand new thing; they already launched back in 2012. That makes the amount of readers they claim to have (1.6 million) seem more legit. And comics are a better unique selling point than serialized fiction alone - there already are many, many other platforms for serialized and web fiction. If they have a large library of high quality comics, I'd be tempted to check them out as a reader.

I wonder how many of those readers are active if the average is 30 minutes of time spent reading a month, though. I suspect the likelihood of an author earning money on Tapas is about the same as on Wattpad.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 10:32:21 AM by C. Rysalis »

Olivia Rising | Author page

Offline RBC

• View Profile
    • RockingBookCovers.com
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 10:32:01 AM »
I think I'll. give it a go with Manor High: Safe Zone WIP assuming it can handle images the same as Wattpad.  I could never publish as an eBook anyway because it will have too many images and delivery charges would be too high. I could only ever have it on such as Wattpad or do it as a print book with B/W images.

This platform would be ideal for short stories, split into bite size chapters and wriiten as serials.

Yup. Go for it!

Don't think one story is enough but you'll learn as you go about the platform.

Good luck!

Offline RBC

• View Profile
    • RockingBookCovers.com
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 10:35:00 AM »
Found it, thanks. So this isn't really a brand new thing; they already launched back in 2012. That makes the amount of readers they claim to have (1.6 million) seem more legit. And comics are a better unique selling point than serialized fiction alone - there already are many, many other platforms for serialized and web fiction. If they have a large library of high quality comics, I'd be tempted to check them out as a reader.

I wonder how many of those readers are active if the average is 30 minutes of time spent reading a month, though. I suspect the likelihood of an author earning money on Tapas is about the same as on Wattpad.

Yeah, they've been around. That's why I think it's good timing, it's old enough to be serious and somewhat known, but it's not mainstream yet. That's a window of opportunity.

And since Wattpad's monetization isn't great yet and only ads, I think chances here are better. But in any case, all authors should be driving their readers to the email list and website from the platform too. You can siphon readers slowly.

Offline Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 11:15:42 AM »
It doesn't tell you a lot about file requirements and uploading. Just looked at a sample of a book that is all comic drawing images with no text that's earned $5000 in it's first month. I'll need to read more into it as it seems to require different crafting to a normal story.

I 'll go back to being a maybe. I can see how a story with nothing but Text message images and no narrative would work on this platform
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 11:42:54 AM by Decon »

Declan Conner | blog

Offline RBC

• View Profile
    • RockingBookCovers.com
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 03:34:58 PM »
It doesn't tell you a lot about file requirements and uploading. Just looked at a sample of a book that is all comic drawing images with no text that's earned $5000 in it's first month. I'll need to read more into it as it seems to require different crafting to a normal story.

I 'll go back to being a maybe. I can see how a story with nothing but Text message images and no narrative would work on this platform

It started as comic book thing, that's why the visual domination, now they are expanding into novels. Analyse the Popular and Trending Novels there.

If you write chapters with good cliffhangers, you should be fine with them as serial parts maybe?