Author Topic: Nonfiction Noob  (Read 274 times)  

Offline krharris

• View Profile
Nonfiction Noob
« on: July 16, 2017, 10:53:07 AM »
I am someone whom, if you didn't know better, you would dismiss as a crackpot :P. I am putting the finishing touches on a manuscript that claims to: "to concisely integrate the existential aspects of philosophy, science, and spirituality into a framework that explains the nature of reality and our role in it." 

My primary challenge is to prove to people outside of my head that I have actually accomplished this. This goal is complicated by the fact that I lack the credentials that would validate my expertise in these fields. Nonetheless, I have managed to post chapters on a respected academic site, and though it has been read nearly 200 hundred times in the past month (and garnered three recommendations), overall there has been minimal critical response from the experts.

But soliciting feedback from enthusiasts is an iffy proposition, since they have an even greater tendency to be dogmatic ("But that is inconsistent with what my interpretation of the writings of Plato/Aristotle/Kant/Einstein/Bohr/Heisenberg/the Bible/Quran/Torah").

All I'm looking for at this point is feedback regarding any internal inconsistencies in my framework.

In general, where can nonfiction writers go to find a serious, yet not overly dogmatic, cohort with whom to discuss a specialized topic?

Offline MClayton

• Florida
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: Nonfiction Noob
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 11:53:37 AM »
I suspect - my opinion, only - you'd have to go to a fairly specialized online/offline group/discussion board to find what you're looking for.  Concisely integrating "the existential aspects of philosophy, science, and spirituality into a framework that explains the nature of reality and our role in it" is a topic you're more likely to find on a philosophy/science/spirituality site than a writing/publishing site, generally speaking.

Offline krharris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 12:59:18 PM »
I truly appreciate your comments. The problem is that there are few if any sites that combine philosophy, science, and spirituality, since these disciplines are generally at odds with each other to varying degrees. Sites dedicated to one typically believe the other two are, at best, misguided.

I've come here looking for nonfiction authors who have faced similar challenges integrating interdisciplinary subjects, who are willing to share techniques they used to overcome them.

Offline Mercia McMahon

• London
    • View Profile
    • Mercia McMahon
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 05:04:00 PM »
The problem is that there are few if any sites that combine philosophy, science, and spirituality, since these disciplines are generally at odds with each other to varying degrees. Sites dedicated to one typically believe the other two are, at best, misguided.

As someone qualified in these areas I suggest that you do a bit more research before deciding that these are contradictory areas. Philosophy and spirituality go together like a hand and glove for most of human history (a few large religious groups took an anti-philosophy stance, but overall the two ideas go together). Once you add science then the classic name is Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, who was a French Jesuit, theologian, philosopher, and scientist (a palentologist in the team that discovered Peking Man). In the realm of the philosophy of science the classic is Thomas Kuhn's The Structure of Scientific Revolutions, which introduced the crucial idea of paradigm shifts. Combining philosophy and spirituality is the raison d'etre of Buddhism. The Catholic theologian and former biologist Celia Deane-Drummond (a former colleague) has made a career out of combining those disciplines and she is just one of many who have done so in recent decades (often under the inspiration of Teilhard de Chardin and Kuhn).

Take some of those names and use them to launch an internet search for help.

Mercia McMahon | Author Site | Publishing Site | Pinterest

Offline WHDean

• Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 10:26:12 AM »
The bad news is that you haven't proved what you think you have for those outside your head, even if you're satisfied that you've proved it to yourself. Anyone can claim to "integrate the existential aspects of philosophy, science, and spirituality into a framework that explains the nature of reality and our role in it" because "integration" needn't be an empirical process and the rest of those abstractions can mean anything you want them to mean.

But you can't prove an interpretation (i.e., make a case that is irrational to deny, thereby compelling intersubjective agreement) without demonstrating that your interpretation is better than other interpretations. I surmise that you haven't succeeded in persuading anyone of this yet because you've dismissed "enthusiasts" as dogmatic. That remark suggests that the people who know something about one of the areas you've covered have been unpersuaded by your case. I will even wager that the word they used to describe your interpretation was "superficial."

The good news is, there's nothing stopping you from hanging out your shingle in the wide world of gurus selling their theories of everything. You could be the next Tony Robbins or Ken Wilber. So forget trying to prove your case. Instead, write it up in a book and sell the way everyone else in the market does. 

Offline TonyGonline

• England
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 12:13:52 PM »
write it up in a book and sell the way everyone else in the market does.
This.

I mix science, spiritualism and consciousness in my books, believe it or not they mix quite well. And, I now have the writing bug! So I'm now writing fiction, first book nearly complete, it's a horror! So you never know what will turn out if you start writing yourself...good luck  :)