Author Topic: What service do you use for your paperbacks and why? Amazon, CreateSpace or D2D  (Read 446 times)  

Offline Ethan Jones

• Canada
    • View Profile
    • Ethan Jones Books
Hello everyone:

I hope you're enjoying a blessed, peaceful weekend.

What service do you use for your paperbacks and why? Amazon, CreateSpace or D2D?

I'm trying to set up my paperbacks and would appreciate your advice on choosing the best option.

Thanks in advance,

E

Online Word Fan

• View Profile
CreateSpace, absolutely. I find it easy to use, not buggy, and it produces great results. However, it expects you to know and understand the standard terms and conventions of print layout. Some people have a hard time with that.

Offline Cassie Leigh

• View Profile
I use CreateSpace.

I wouldn't recommend KDP Print unless they now allow you to order proof copies and author copies, plus I've heard the review process is glitchy.

D2D will generate a PDF for you, but you can't use them to list your books anymore. And I just took a look at the PDFs they generate the other day and was not impressed with it.
8 Pen Names.

Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.

Only NF titles under Cassie Leigh and M.L. Humphrey.

Offline Anma Natsu

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Anma Natsu
CreateSpace for Amazon, IngramSpark for all other retailers and for hardbacks.  CreateSpace works great, pricing is great, and always available on Amazon.  The per copy price is also good, so I use it for buying any copies I want to sell direct.

IngramSpark because I'm not giving Amazon a cut of my non-Amazon sales (i.e. its "expanded" distribution).  I'd rather go straight to the source.  I earn slightly more per copy sold through IS and reach the main stores I'd want to.  Also can do hardback, which I like to offer when I can.  I don't use it for author copies though as its per copy prices and shipping are higher, though obviously I do use it to buy hardback copies :)

I would not flip to KDP Print until its out of beta and they have added the ability to order physical proofs and author copies at cost that CreateSpace has.

Edit: forgot the why part :-)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:56:44 PM by Anma Natsu »

Online Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
  • Storyteller and Cat Minion
    • View Profile
    • Ineti Press
I use CreateSpace. Nice product, great customer service, fast shipping of proofs and ordered copies.

Online zzz

• View Profile
Createspace.

Offline DMChappellAuthor

• View Profile
I think for ease of use, price for setup (none)/odds and ends, and customer service I would go Createspace.  But IngramSpark is hands down a better printing company.  I did the same book both places to see which looked better and there was a very clear difference.  If you use IS and are not on a tight schedule, you can look for their free setup promo's then it doesn't cost you anything to set up new titles.  Otherwise, it is $49 (I think) a pop.  They have done the promo several times already this year.

D.M. Chappell | blog

Offline Anarchist

• View Profile
I use KDP for two reasons:

1. I like seeing digital and print sales on one graph.

2. I find the process simpler than the one on CS.

Importantly, I'm not interested in proof copies or expanded distribution.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
I'll stick with CS as long as it exists.

I'm not currently using expanded distribution, but I like to have the option. Proof copies are critical, though. Yes, I look at the book in the online proofreader, but a couple of times glitches appeared in the proof copy that were not visible online. In particular, it's hard to tell from the online view whether text is too close to the inside margin.

What irks me is that Amazon didn't have to invent a new process here. It knows how to send out proof copies. It knows how to set up expanding distribution. It could--and should--have incorporated those features in the beta if, as it has told people, it intends to add them eventually. The fact that it didn't makes me suspicious.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
Chalk another one up for CS until they don't let me any more. Not only do they have all the great things that Bill and others have mentioned, they also allow me to act as my own wholesaler/distributer via coupon codes, without getting totally boned by the expanded distribution royalties.

I'll stick with CS as long as it exists.

I'm not currently using expanded distribution, but I like to have the option. Proof copies are critical, though. Yes, I look at the book in the online proofreader, but a couple of times glitches appeared in the proof copy that were not visible online. In particular, it's hard to tell from the online view whether text is too close to the inside margin.

What irks me is that Amazon didn't have to invent a new process here. It knows how to send out proof copies. It knows how to set up expanding distribution. It could--and should--have incorporated those features in the beta if, as it has told people, it intends to add them eventually. The fact that it didn't makes me suspicious.

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
    • View Profile
    • greggbell.net
Createspace. KDP offers nothing (except sales reported on the same page as ebooks). Createspace has a great step by step process for formatting your paperback, there's a great community forum where you can ask questions AND there is telephone support (I think 24/7.)

"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong." Oscar Wilde
Gregg Bell | Website | Amazon author page | Blog | Twitter | Google+ | Facebook

Offline Michael Eli Vineberg

• View Profile
Createspace. KDP offers nothing (except sales reported on the same page as ebooks). Createspace has a great step by step process for formatting your paperback, there's a great community forum where you can ask questions AND there is telephone support (I think 24/7.)

Actually, for non-U.S. authors, KDP offers a payment method that isn't an antiquated check-in-the-mail system. Wire transfers are nice.   

Michael Eli Vineberg | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube

Offline Perry Constantine

• San Diego
  • Action Fiction Author
    • View Profile
    • Percival Constantine - Action Fiction Author
Actually, for non-U.S. authors, KDP offers a payment method that isn't an antiquated check-in-the-mail system. Wire transfers are nice.

Depends on your country. While living in Japan, I got wire transfers from CreateSpace into my Japanese account.

Offline Michael Eli Vineberg

• View Profile
Depends on your country. While living in Japan, I got wire transfers from CreateSpace into my Japanese account.

When I published with them recently, they offered two options only to me, direct deposit to U.S. accounts and checks for anybody else. I wonder if they have changed their policy since you received those wires, or if they have become more specific based on the personal data of the author (citizenship, etc.). I'm down in Mexico, so for me it made sense to migrate from CS to KDP to streamline payments and data reporting in one go.   

Michael Eli Vineberg | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube

Offline Perry Constantine

• San Diego
  • Action Fiction Author
    • View Profile
    • Percival Constantine - Action Fiction Author
When I published with them recently, they offered two options only to me, direct deposit to U.S. accounts and checks for anybody else. I wonder if they have changed their policy since you received those wires, or if they have become more specific based on the personal data of the author (citizenship, etc.). I'm down in Mexico, so for me it made sense to migrate from CS to KDP to streamline payments and data reporting in one go.

Oh wait, I'm sorry, that's my mistake. I thought I had changed it over to my Japanese bank account, but I remembered it wrong. I did have the royalties distributed to my US bank account. I just double-checked and CreateSpace only has direct deposit available for US and European banks.