KB Featured Book
Wish Granted! Tips, Tools, and Templates to Write a Winning Grant
by Holly Rustick

$1.99
Kindle Edition published 2017-08-22
Bestseller ranking: 95983

Product Description
INCLUDES BONUS FREE E-DOWNLOADS: TEMPLATES FOR GRANT WRITING!

Grant writing shouldn’t feel like a trip to the dentist. Take the pain out of the process with this innovative and fun, yes fun, guide. Learn all the inside tips and tools of the grant-writing trade in this easy-to-read and upbeat book.
This book is definitely for you if:
•You break out in a cold sweat when your boss mentions the word ‘grant’.
•You’ve been tempted to throw your computer against the wall while writing a grant.
•You happily tell stakeholders there’s plenty of grants out there … but haven’t the faintest idea how to write and get one!
•You think you can send out a bog-standard letter to a bunch of organizations and get funded.
•Your eyes glaze over when you’re presented with grant writing jargon and acronyms.
•Your organization’s grant success A-game has r...

Author Topic: Linking a Series (and my bad experiences) & Question....help?  (Read 316 times)  

Offline JaydenHunter

• View Profile
So...on the 11th I launched the second book in my LitRPG series.

For those that remember, I had launched book 1 last November, and it did pretty well (it #850 overall and grossed about $5000 in three weeks).

I unpublished it because I'm:
A. Stupid.
B.  Anal
C.  Stupid
D. Obsessive

Side Bar:  My re-write process in December-January with a re-launch Jan 31st was, artistically and growth-wise, the right move.  Business-wise, I killed myself.  Artistic-wise, I grew so much and learned a lot, so I don't regret what I did, but I'm not necessarily recommending it.

In case you're wondering:  I made about $1,200 in royalties in February after re-launching, so it wasn't like the book disappeared completely. 

Now, with the launch of book two, I thought I'd at least do moderately well, but in reality, it's pretty horrible....

So, I'm not sure completely, but here's some possible reasons:
A.  I suck (as a writer-creative this is my first impulse--self doubt)
B.  The genre, LitRPG, became insanely saturated.  This was partially my own fault, LOL, as I went on Lindsay's Podcast and essentially sent out a cattle call to a gadzillion indies...  But, no worries, I'm not regretting that either, competition is healthy, and I'm a huge fan of disclosure and transparency.  Side bar:  this makes for interesting second date conversation...
C. I didn't do any auxiliary advertising, relying on the FB groups, and maybe this was too optimistic...
D. Amazon didn't help, and that is part of the reason for this thread, see below:

TL;DR:  I asked Amazon to link my book 1 & 2, instead they added all the reviews for Book 1 to Book 2, so it looked like Book 2 had 50 reviews on like the 3rd day of release.

I sent about 4 emails (we did this back and forth thing..."oh, we're working on it...")   they'd finally removed the reviews, but it still says "50 Reviews" and there are no new ones...

This obviously (or at least I think) hurt my launch.

What the heck went wrong?  Did this ever happen to anyone else?  They also took 6 days to add the book to my Author Central, so the two books weren't even linked as being mine....

Uggg.

Writing in multiple genres, because "Reasons."
Jayden Hunter | Twitter | Website | Facebook | Goodreads

Offline C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
Re: Linking a Series (and my bad experiences) & Question....help?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 09:47:44 AM »
Eh, I read the first page of your Look Inside and you don't suck. So just shove that self-doubt back in the depths where it belongs!

Offline JaydenHunter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 09:52:30 AM »
Eh, I read the first page of your Look Inside and you don't suck. So just shove that self-doubt back in the depths where it belongs!

Well...you didn't read page two...

Lol.....I'm joking....  Thank you for the vote of confidence.

Online A J Sika

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 10:39:11 AM »
For what it's worth, I launched Book 1 of my current series (in a crowded genre) to a lot of woohoo and dollar signs. It made it me about 5k plus in its first month. Two months and a pre-order later, I launched Book 2 to what felt like crickets. I earned about 3k and thought that this was the end; Book 2 sucked balls - or so I thought.

The funny thing is that when I launched Book 3, the series seemed to rise from the 'ashes'. Last month (when I launched Book 3), I made even more than when I released Book 1. It's almost as if readers were waiting for me to complete the series so they could buy all the books together. All 3 books are currently ranking quite well.

So don't despair. Fix the technical issues your book has as quickly as you possibly can without driving yourself crazy, do a little promo afterwards to let people know that its out and its now fixed, and, most importantly, get the next book out.
"If you have a dream don't just sit there. Gather courage to believe you can succeed and leave no stone unturned to make it a reality." - Roopleen

Offline JaydenHunter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 12:50:49 PM »
For what it's worth, I launched Book 1 of my current series (in a crowded genre) to a lot of woohoo and dollar signs. It made it me about 5k plus in its first month. Two months and a pre-order later, I launched Book 2 to what felt like crickets. I earned about 3k and thought that this was the end; Book 2 sucked balls - or so I thought.

The funny thing is that when I launched Book 3, the series seemed to rise from the 'ashes'. Last month (when I launched Book 3), I made even more than when I released Book 1. It's almost as if readers were waiting for me to complete the series so they could buy all the books together. All 3 books are currently ranking quite well.

So don't despair. Fix the technical issues your book has as quickly as you possibly can without driving yourself crazy, do a little promo afterwards to let people know that its out and its now fixed, and, most importantly, get the next book out.

Thanks for that encouragement.

So, maybe you can give me another bit of advice.

I have a 20,000 word short story in the same series and universe.  It was written to go into an anthology that fell apart.  It's edited and ready to go (I only have to order a cover).

Should I release that as "Book 3" and just say it's a "novella" or a long short story?

I do want it to be part of the series, I mean in terms of being numbered....

Some have suggested I use it to make a full length book, but it's a self contained story, and I kind of like it as it is.

In any case, I appreciate your input, it's encouraging to know I can bring it back from the dead with a third book.