Author Topic: New site to add your ebooks: eBook Roulette  (Read 902 times)  

Offline J.R. Thomson

• View Profile
    • eBook Booster
New site to add your ebooks: eBook Roulette
« on: July 17, 2017, 11:34:30 AM »
Made a (hopefully) fun little new ebook site.  Click a button and it randomly shows you an ebook.

Feel free to add your free, bargain or other ebooks (as long as they are on Amazon)

This is the first version, so feel free to let me know any suggestions for improvement, etc.  ;D

http://ebookroulette.com

Offline Acheknia

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Books by A. Woodley
Re: New site to add your ebooks: eBook Roulette
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 03:22:50 PM »
Made a (hopefully) fun little new ebook site.  Click a button and it randomly shows you an ebook.

Feel free to add your free, bargain or other ebooks (as long as they are on Amazon)

This is the first version, so feel free to let me know any suggestions for improvement, etc.  ;D

I added some of my books earlier, it looks good, thank you.
With a lot of book sites, millions of authors add books but readers & buyers seem to be scarce, will you be targeting readers to join? (preferably in the millions) :)

Offline J.R. Thomson

• View Profile
    • eBook Booster
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 10:36:42 PM »
I added some of my books earlier, it looks good, thank you.
With a lot of book sites, millions of authors add books but readers & buyers seem to be scarce, will you be targeting readers to join? (preferably in the millions) :)

We definitely plan to target readers, but will take some time.  Over time will add/improve features to make the site fun to use for readers in a minimalist sort of way.

We've added your first book and will add the others over the next few days.  Thanks!

Online Tstarnes

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 06:13:21 AM »
Just a suggestion.  200 characters is way shorter than the average blurb.  You may want to consider accepting more for the description, in order to allow authors to put in the full blurb.

Offline Acheknia

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Books by A. Woodley
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 06:48:35 AM »
We definitely plan to target readers, but will take some time.  Over time will add/improve features to make the site fun to use for readers in a minimalist sort of way.

We've added your first book and will add the others over the next few days.  Thanks!

Thank you :)

Offline BeMyBookBaby

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 08:33:22 AM »
A cool function would be to let users add books to a shelf, like GoodReads, of books they like? Or genres? That way the book choice doesn't have to be totally random if the reader wants something a little more niche? But they could have a button like "Bite The Bullet" which is just beyond random, including all genres?

I think you have a lot of that functionality in place, from the little bit of browsing I did. But if you've ever heard of this website frangrantica, its for perfumes, but it has a rating sidebar which, if you look up your perfume, also tells you which perfumes have similar notes. Kind of like the Also Boughts on Amazon but ideally less room for manipulation, as it's based on rating and not a flood of purchases due to promo.

I'll be adding my book once the preorder goes up! Awesome! Is it ok if I post it to a Facebook group I'm a member of?

Offline J.R. Thomson

• View Profile
    • eBook Booster
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 11:46:18 AM »
A cool function would be to let users add books to a shelf, like GoodReads, of books they like? Or genres? That way the book choice doesn't have to be totally random if the reader wants something a little more niche? But they could have a button like "Bite The Bullet" which is just beyond random, including all genres?

I think you have a lot of that functionality in place, from the little bit of browsing I did. But if you've ever heard of this website frangrantica, its for perfumes, but it has a rating sidebar which, if you look up your perfume, also tells you which perfumes have similar notes. Kind of like the Also Boughts on Amazon but ideally less room for manipulation, as it's based on rating and not a flood of purchases due to promo.

I'll be adding my book once the preorder goes up! Awesome! Is it ok if I post it to a Facebook group I'm a member of?

Thank you for the suggestions - will add them to my list for future updates.

Yes, would love for you to share on your Facebook group :)

Offline WDR

• Massachusetts
  • To boldly split infinitives
    • View Profile
    • Official Website of William D. Richards
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 12:26:17 PM »
Threw my hat---and two books---into the ring. Er- catalog.

Looks like a fun concept!
Aggadeh Chronicles Book 3: Oracle: 0%
William D. Richards | Official Website | A Writer's Chronicles | Patreon

Offline WDR

• Massachusetts
  • To boldly split infinitives
    • View Profile
    • Official Website of William D. Richards
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 12:32:32 PM »
Honestly, you should open an affiliate account and use that in the links to the books. You went through the effort to create this little promotion engine, there is nothing wrong with you making a little change on the side.  :D  I certainly have no problem with that!

You could potentially offer it as an option. If the author chooses "Yes" then the system would add your affiliate link to the button. If "No", then it doesn't add your affiliate information to the link.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 12:36:31 PM by WDR »
Aggadeh Chronicles Book 3: Oracle: 0%
William D. Richards | Official Website | A Writer's Chronicles | Patreon

Offline Bards and Sages (Julie)

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
    • Bards and Sages Publishing
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 12:50:08 PM »
FYI: for whatever reason McAfee Antivirus is blocking the site for "bad reputation." Not sure what is triggering that. I'm at work and this isn't the first time McAfee has kicked back a weird block.

Writer, Publisher, Game Designer, Resident Sith
Julie Ann Dawson | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | eFesitival of Words

Offline Bards and Sages (Julie)

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
    • Bards and Sages Publishing
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 12:51:59 PM »
Honestly, you should open an affiliate account and use that in the links to the books. You went through the effort to create this little promotion engine, there is nothing wrong with you making a little change on the side.  :D  I certainly have no problem with that!

You could potentially offer it as an option. If the author chooses "Yes" then the system would add your affiliate link to the button. If "No", then it doesn't add your affiliate information to the link.

They would need to first get the site approved from Amazon, and then make sure they aren't referring mostly free books. Amazon has cracked down on affiliate sites that seemed to predominately be driven by free book promos. They have started to restrict affiliate accounts to sites that do more than just direct to Amazon.

Writer, Publisher, Game Designer, Resident Sith
Julie Ann Dawson | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | eFesitival of Words

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 05:25:04 PM »
I got the McAfee warning as well when clicking the button to get another book. Here is the error in case that helps you debug it:

Offline PaulLev

• New York City
  • I was here three months from now.
    • View Profile
    • Paul Levinson's Infinite Regress
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 07:10:34 PM »
I added a few books, and Tweeted (with auto relay to FB) and G+'d about your site.

Offline ID Johnson

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 08:06:11 PM »
What a fun idea! It's a little addictive! I added a couple of books as well and Tweeted/FB posted. Good luck and thank you!! :)

Offline Ryan W. Mueller

• Missour, United States
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 09:00:52 PM »
Added mine to the list. This could be fun. Hopefully I'll get a few sales out of it. It's free, so it doesn't really matter if I don't.

Online Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • "Kindle Scout Kahuna"
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 01:55:30 AM »
I added KELPIE DREAMS into the pot. I'll let you folks know if I get any action.

Hey, I've got to put my goldfish through swimming lessons somehow!
:)

Online she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2017, 03:49:22 AM »
We definitely plan to target readers, but will take some time.

Um, if you aren't targeting readers, then why should I bother uploading my books here? Seriously, I see lots of "promote your books here!" stuff, and the only people looking are authors hoping to find readers. Without people going there to find books, it's a waste of time.
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline PaulLev

• New York City
  • I was here three months from now.
    • View Profile
    • Paul Levinson's Infinite Regress
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 12:42:14 PM »
Thanks for adding my book - much appreciated!

Offline Alvina

• View Profile
    • Forever Young Recipes
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 10:29:17 PM »

joy

Thank you so much! I've just added my best Thai recipes. Please enjoy my authentic Thai food and Roulette!  ;D

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 10:32:40 PM by Alvina »

Offline BeMyBookBaby

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2017, 05:14:49 AM »
Thank you for the suggestions - will add them to my list for future updates.

Yes, would love for you to share on your Facebook group :)

No problem. I've just read my last post and it was all over the place.

What I basically meant was say there is Reader 1 who, for example, gives Book A and Book B a 5 star rating, but gives Book C only two stars.

Reader 2 comes along and says she likes Book A, the site would then recommend Book B, as someone who also rated A with 5 stars felt B was also 5 stars. It would not recommend C just because A also bought C.

That's what I dislike about Amazon. I buy and download a lot of books but I don't enjoy them all, so I feel Also Boughts are misleading. They're more likely to have books put through the same promo site, a lot of the time.

Anyway, I'll post the link to my groups today!
Thanks again. Super cool idea!